Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do ski instructors have to prove current ski techniques?

Poster: A snowHead
Nurse...Nurse! Mr veeeight's stopped taking his anti-arrogance pills again!

rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
While it may be true that V8 has posted in haste, and I take the points made by Slikedges, I am keen to have more expert opinion on the forum, and do encourage my friends to contribute. When we (that is, fully qualified and professional skiers or ski teachers) are made to feel that our opinions and help are not appreciated, one becomes less likely to bother to post. The idea is to help people. We will not encourage new pros to post more often if they read posts basically rubbishing our expertise in comparision to a holiday skier! Confused
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Agreed easiski, but there are ways and ways. As an example, however seriously you and I have disagreed, you've always argued your corner constructively and I've never felt from any of your posts that I'm a snivelling pion unworthy of the pearls being laid out for my delectation.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
GrahamN, Thank you kind sir! Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GrahamN wrote:
Nurse...Nurse! Mr veeeight's stopped taking his anti-arrogance pills again!

rolling eyes

Sadly it seems he's forgotten his anti-insight failure pills too. Laughing

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 24-06-07 21:50; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
slikedges, what do you know about pills? wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
laundryman, a lot more than about posting quickly, plainly (see edit above) rolling eyes wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski, I hope you should never be made to feel like your opinions and help go unappreciated. I, like the great majority here, value your forum contributions hugely, as well as being grateful for your personal input. Totally agree that we should encourage expert opinion on the forum, and I always try to get instructors I know to join up, but I feel it's important that this is not done in a manner that may discourage any snowHead from expressing their opinion if they feel they have any experience or knowledge or even a problem to share, whether correctly or incorrectly perceived. I have always found you to respond to posts that challenge your beliefs made purely in the spirit of discussion in that same constructive and good natured spirit as possessed of the original poster. You don't reply by dismissive retort. Your knowledge and experience are not then diminished by a need to show contempt and derision for anyone who might presume to voice dissent. In fact quite the opposite, and it is by this that you then clearly illustrate the equally important soft skills that are key to the effectiveness of any good teacher. Very Happy

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 25-06-07 12:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
slikedges, I can see that you've taken great offense at V8's post, but please think of all the valuable contributions he's made to the forum, and allow him one snotty remark. I do agree that everyone should be encouraged to post their opinions and experiences, but there are one or two who post as though they are real experts when they are really quite novicy! On these occasions, I can also tend to feel indignant. Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
easiski, I didn't like the undertone of his post above and posted my considered and dispassionate views, but I haven't taken any offence at all to that particular post. As you well know from previous PMs, I do indeed consider many of v8s contributions here hugely informative and helpful. However, no matter how valuable the contributions a user makes, being rudely dismissive in the face of a constructive and well reasoned post just 'cos it doesn't agree with your views isn't in the right spirit. We had a previous contributor here of even greater value and influence, however unfortunately his posting attitude eventually made his presence on the site untenable. Confused
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
slikedges wrote:
However, no matter how valuable the contributions a user makes, being rudely dismissive in the face of a constructive and well reasoned post just 'cos it doesn't agree with your views isn't in the right spirit.

Good point, well made.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Most instructors here have got it right, IMV. They state what they think correct, and respond constructively to punters such as I when they think we have not understood a point, or we ask for advice. And they usually respect one another's different views amongst themselves - though they may probe the reasoning. easiski, sshh, and Martin Bell immediately spring to mind as examples - my apologies to those I am sure I have missed. I find the instructor presence here generally helpful.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
slikedges, I think he just got out of bed on the wrong side that day, but it would be nice to hear from him. Puzzled
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bla bla
Shocked
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bla bla
ski holidays
easiski, I'm still here, just don't see the value of personalising arguments on an internet forum! wink

(and it's just reminded me of the piece below, written by Charlie Brooker, The Guardian):
Quote:
There's no point debating anything online. You might as well hurl shoes in the air to knock clouds from the sky. The internet's perfect for all manner of things, but productive discussion ain't one of them. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional "live audience" quickly conspire to create a "perfect storm" of perpetual bickering.

Stumble in, take umbrage with someone, trade a few blows, and within about two or three exchanges, the subject itself goes out the window. Suddenly you're simply arguing about arguing. Eventually, one side gets bored, comes to its senses, or dies, and the row fizzles out: just another needless belch in the swirling online guffstorm.

But not for long, because online quarrelling is also addictive, in precisely the same way Tetris is addictive. It appeals to the "lab rat" part of your brain; the annoying, irrepressible part that adores repetitive pointlessness and would gleefully make you pop bubblewrap till Doomsday if it ever got its way. An unfortunate few, hooked on the futile thrill of online debate, devote their lives to its cause. They roam the internet, actively seeking out viewpoints they disagree with, or squat on messageboards, whining, needling, sneering, over-analysing each new proclamation - joylessly fiddling, like unhappy gorillas doomed to pick lice from one another's fur for all eternity.

Laughing
snow conditions
veeeight,
Quote:

the piece below, written by Charlie Brooker

What a fabulous piece of writing - thank you! Very Happy
snow report
Hurtle, no it isn't. wink
snow conditions
laundryman, I expected you'd say that. Typical of you.

(did I pay for the 5 or 10 minute argument?)
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, you didn't pay, I'm just an amateur. Anyway, I wouldn't argue with a pro. Or even contradict. wink
ski holidays
laundryman, I'm just a novice. (well, I was until the mother superior threw me out because of my bad habit)
ski holidays
achilles, Now see what you've started! Shocked Shocked wink wink
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, in that case, what are you doing posting on this forum? Only registered arguers with an up-to-date qualification should be allowed to do so.

If we let you go on unchecked, I bet you'll soon be posting argument tests and reviews! wink
snow conditions
horizon, does it matter where I get my qualification from, I mean, if I'm certified in Andorra, is that as good as Austria, or do I need an international argument certification? Also, if I get it now, is it valid until I die?
And even with my argument qualification, is it worth anything if I hate arguing with some people because they don't treat me with enough respect. Don't they know who I am? Laughing

You want the argument? You can't handle the argument!
(with apologies to Jack Nicholson)
snow conditions
easiski wrote:
achilles, Now see what you've started! Shocked Shocked wink wink

Well, it's made me look up 'Tetris', thereby making me feel very ignorant. Embarassed Laughing

I have some sympathy with what I think veeeight's point is: there comes a time when further forum niggling at an argument becomes pointless.

BTW, I notice the guy who actually triggered off all this has started posting in snowheads again - but perhaps wisely is steering clear of here. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 brian
brian
Surely the best arguer is the one with the biggest scowl Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 brian
brian
slikedges wrote:
Skiing isn't medicine.

No, indeed. Spend a couple of days on epic and you'll be under the distinct impression it's considerably more complicated. Laughing

I have to say it's quite frightening how convincing folk can sound on here when they're suitably confident and jargoned up. Then their actual skiing ......
snow conditions
veeeight wrote:
easiski, I'm still here, just don't see the value of personalising arguments on an internet forum!

Let me get this straight - you want to offend others then climb on your high horse when quite perplexingly they somehow just don't seem to enjoy it Puzzled - go figure rolling eyes will wo-on-derrs nev-ver cease. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
slikedges, I'm afraid this is his usual MO. As I think we've both seen, he often comes up with good stuff, but his style of deliberately courting controversy then flouncing off with his nose in the air when someone rises to the challenge is not attractive. Shame he can't see it. I'm led to believe he's a good guy, but he does do a very good impression of being a total ar$e.
ski holidays
Gentlemen, please don't keep dragging this down to a personal level. There is no horse, high nor low.
snow conditions
GrahamN, 'fraid it might be looking that way.
latest report
slikedges, GrahamN, - and remember how he said we were all wrong to take out wrists out of straps in trees or in any off-piste conditions? however many mountain guides or other experience instructors have said the opposite. Confused Confused

Of course he must be right, we are humble mere mortals, how dare we question that there might be some dodgy under-qualified idiots masquerading as instructors? We are simply not worthy... as he said "So many errors, so little time"
snow conditions
stoatsbrother, Come on, it's not as though veeeight is the only person on here who occasionally lords it over others in the guise of a self-appointed expert and/or who writes as though his viewpoint is the only correct one! Let he who is without guilt...
snow report
...cast the first pole.
ski holidays
laundryman, how long should it be?
snow conditions
Here we go. rolling eyes

What was it WTFH once said? Like a pack of rabid dogs, having sniffed dinner.

Get it all out now gents. Then we can move on.
latest report
Hurtle wrote:
...Come on, it's not as though veeeight is the only person on here who occasionally lords it over others in the guise of a self-appointed expert and/or who writes as though his viewpoint is the only correct one!....

That reminds me. It's been a while so does anyone need their bindings moving or a 3 degree side angle cutting??????
snow report
stoatsbrother, only too well...

Hurtle, pomp and arrogance in a post aren't the programme here - I do those with the best of 'em. What I don't like is schoolboy retorts and flouncings off when views are questioned.

veeeight,
Quote:

Get it all out now gents. Then we can move on.

With a comment like that, are you sure you're really ready yet?
latest report
Hurtle, correct the first punctuation error? wink And of course I am always right - except when you are.

veeeight, I tend to stay away from posting on this area of the forum partly because I am a fairly average skier who knows knows almost nothing about communicating technique, but also because a few here treat things as though there is only one true way to ski properly and are pretty brutal about it. I think slikedges made a good point - this is a web-forum for amateurs to talk BS. All you have to do is counter rubbish where you see it, accept different but valid opinions and move on. When I realise I post condescending tosh, I try and apologise. Don't make this about us.
ski holidays
stoatsbrother,
Quote:

And of course I am always right - except when you are.

Laughing Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy