Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First time Skiing, Late December recommendations?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
luigi wrote:
mistikempire wrote:
So i took a look online, example Dolimites, and found myself so confused at the results.

So many places in Dolomites popped up, in which i have zero knowledge on which area would be good, bad, etc.

An area I know fairly well!! wink

As others have said, Colfosco would be the single best place I could recommend for beginners. A nice long nursery slope just off the main route. Some great blues of increasing pitch to progress onto. Amazing scenery and great views. Head up the Edelweiss Valley for lunch to Edelweiss Hut or Col Pradat (gondola up and down) for even better views. Warm cosy coffee spot in basement of Hotel Luianta, they've somehow reconstructed an entire ancient wooden barn in there!! Laughing

Somewhere near the Hotel Luianta would be perfect!

https://maps.app.goo.gl/KKdLsahiFxYw5HsL6

We had lunch there a few times last winter, nice place, regulars were schmoozing with Robert Erlacher.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I’m going to start a war but ignore everyone who only recommends skiing in France, Austria and Italy at Xmas and New Years. It’s all cramped and crowded and generally horrible. Outside that period Italy is fantastic and best food and scenery but if you want to make a good first impression then competent English lessons and other activities in case your wife hates it is a must.

So go to Norway. Trysil or Geilo. Both have dog sledding and horse sledding. Trysil is only 90 mins from Oslo. So plenty to keep you occupied in case you decide you don’t like skiing. Everyone speaks perfect English. Your school lessons (if you do not want privates) will be very small as all the Norgweians can already ski! This is much better rather than the huge crowds crammed into a lesson in France etc.

Food is great - make your lunch at the breakfast, most hotels are half-board. There are 4/5 star hotels. Prices are not raised for Xmas and new year.

Skistar controls Trysil and the former Radisson there on the mountain has a lovely spa for relaxing after a day on the slopes.

Search on here for Geilo or Trysil and read the trip reports.

Don't forget some people get headaches over 2000m as well so if she’s not used to that can be a problem for a day or two. Going north to Norway avoids that problem. I speak from personal experience that rules out Colorado.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi everyone,

I want to extend my heartfelt thanks to all of you for your insightful comments and recommendations regarding the Dolomites. Your knowledge and enthusiasm have been incredibly helpful as I navigate my options for a beginner-friendly area, which from what allot of you have said, Colfosco would be a great place for beginners.

In regards to lessons, i think i will start looking into lessons in the UK before we go. I know it will ruin the suprise, however it wont if i dont tell her that their is a skiiing holiday booked at the end of it Eh oh! Eh oh!

I'll just say, i fancied an adventure.

I honestly can not thank everyone enough for their wise words, information and advice.

What i am writing is nothing compared to the amount you have provided me, so i can only say that i really appreciate it.

What a great forum, full of great people Eh oh!

Thank you to you all!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@mistikempire, Hope you have a great time and become as addicted to skiing as most of the folk around here are.

To whet your appetite have a look at https://www.youtube.com/@UstariaPosta which features videos from a man who along with his family runs a small hotel not far from Colfosco. Its a popular spot with many on here. Lots of videos of various trips around the Super Dolomiti ski area.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
munich_irish wrote:
@mistikempire, Hope you have a great time and become as addicted to skiing as most of the folk around here are.

To whet your appetite have a look at http://youtube.com/@UstariaPosta which features videos from a man who along with his family runs a small hotel not far from Colfosco. Its a popular spot with many on here. Lots of videos of various trips around the Super Dolomiti ski area.

Great content on there! I found this one when Igor and the boys head over to the Edelweiss Valley in Colfosco Cool

http://youtube.com/v/sxMcsC8Y49A
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Guys, the reason I would suggest Austria is... its just more fun.
The Swiss are famous for not enjoying themselves.
Italians are always in bed by 8pm, so the villages tend to close up early.
The French do apres ski, in places like the Folie Douce, but its not to enjoy yourself so much as look as though you are enjoying themselves. Better off heading for the Oirish Bar.
Austrians want you to spend your money and know lots of good ways to make you spend it and have a good time. Not just bars and restaurants but slay rides, togoganning, torch light decents, Keggal Bahn (Bowling Alley) and banging in nails with hollow hollow hammers.

I'd love to go back to Austria again.

Dolimites are my favourite but you you don't have an Aston Martin as your first car.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I’d say as a piece of wisdom you might not have considered… try and minimise your time spent walking about it boots / carrying skis! It can be a right old workout just getting to the lift in the morning. Be prepared for this!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
adithorp wrote:
@mistikempire, I started as a non-skier who a friend persuaded to go at Christmas.

My top tips...
1. Go xmas rather than NY. It's cheaper and less busy.
2. Go high. Snow can be great or bad anywhere at that time of year but high, stacks the odds in your favour.
3. Get lessons either at a snowdome or dry slope before you go. It's a shortcut that pays off when you get there.
4. Get more lessons when you're there, no matter how well you did in 3 above.

Beware though its a slippery slope. You'll find yourself doing 5 weeks a year and living the rest of the year on beans on toast before you know it.

You can afford beans?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'll second (or third!) for Colfosco. We went to Selva last year and I thought that Colfosco was lovely and the Edelweiss Valley was amazing AND quiet. Also I would recommend going with a tour operator for the first ever trip. I travel independently for all my holidays apart from skiing. I have found that there is not a lot in it money wise and it's a lot less hassle. We have also had a lot of issues getting back to airports in county and back to the UK and have thanked whoever is up there on at least four occasions that the TO was there to organise onward/alternative travel or was holding planes back as the entire passenger manifest was held up in yellow jacket demos. Also just had a squiz at Crystal prices for Xmas and New Year. The Snowheads are not kidding New Year is significantly more expensive. If only I could convince my OH to ski at Christmas........
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Xmas = dark, cold, windy, overcrowded, icy.

Easter = sunny, hero snow.

Go Easter.

1. Zermatt
2. Saas Fee
3. Lech
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy