Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Zillertal 2024/25

Poster: A snowHead
jenson101 wrote:
@Alastair Pink,
Many thanks for this information.
One further question.
Should the train be pre booked or can you just turn up and pay on the day ?

Use this App to buy a ticket from Mayrhofen (or Jenbach) to München Ost

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/vvt-tickets/id1406792150

Use this App to buy a ticket from München Ost to München Flughafen

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/m%C3%BCnchen-navigator/id453714981
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Oceanic, No need to buy two tickets, you can buy one ticket to cover the whole journey, best option is probably the oebb app https://www.oebb.at/en/tickets-kundenkarten/online-mobile-ticketing/oebb-app. If you are into saving money then it can save a small amount if you use the VTT app to get to Kufstein and then take a regional train to Ostbahnhof. If more than one person then buy a Bayern ticket which covers train travel in Bavaria (including Kufstein) for a day for up to 5 people, note it does not cover the EC trains (unlike VTT tickets) so you will have to change at Kufstein. Not sure the faff is worth it to save a small amount.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 18-10-24 7:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@jenson101, as many have said it's well worth checking out ÖBB and DB as sometimes there's a pricing difference.

There's a direct train from Jenbach to Munich, however if the timings don't work out, there's also the option of changing trains at Kufstein. The walk between trains at Kufstein isn't too far so don't think of it as much of a faff.

If you're going to get the direct train, you might find it worthwhile to pay for a seat reservation also, as this isn't included in your ticket. It's always a busy train, and as you'll be on it for 1.5hrs it's worth a seat reservation just in case.

As an example of price differences, a train at 09.02 on Saturday 23rd November is currently €17.20 on ÖBB, and with DB it's €19.99. Not much difference, but it'll buy you half a pint!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
munich_irish wrote:
@Oceanic, No need to buy two tickets, you can buy one ticket to cover the whole journey, best option is probably the oebb app https://www.oebb.at/en/tickets-kundenkarten/online-mobile-ticketing/oebb-app.

Oh, the ÖBB App allows you to make seat reservations as well. That’s helpful, thanks.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gefrorene Wand 3b open this weekend, the old 2 man chair lift, and 30km of pistes will be open too, 11 and 12 full open it says.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Oceanic, You can reserve seats without having a ticket. So if you are unsure which train you might catch reserve seats on a couple of trains (it only costs a few Euros) and then buy a VTT ticket when you need it (they are only valid for two hour time slots). Probably not so useful for the Zillertal but I generally go to St Anton and can get on the EC/Rail Jet trains to Kufstein for €18.90 and have a Deutschland ticket which covers the rest of the trip back to Munich. At the Ostbahnhof the trains from Kufstein / Austria generally arrive on Platform 6 and the S8 for the airport directly opposite on Platform 5.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
swskier wrote:
Gefrorene Wand 3b open this weekend, the old 2 man chair lift, and 30km of pistes will be open too, 11 and 12 full open it says.

Pity they aren't opening the two t-bars as well, bring in 13 & 14. Keeps me way away from the wannabe racers.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Whitegoldsbrother, my favourite slopes over there.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
And not one of them is open. Nor the 3b chair.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Whitegoldsbrother, correct, the 3b shows as open on the interactive map, but it wasn't when I was just up there, possibly as it's fairly windy. They had advertised it on social media as being open plus a run down over near the t-bars back to the chair.

We had a long and late day yesterday, so only actually got up there around 2pm, as we weren't going to bother at all. Mrs Swskier played around on skis at the Tuxer Fernerhaus with the dog, trying to get him used to skiing etc ready for some touring, while I skied for about 3 runs, then a nice drink on the terrace of the Tuxer Fernerhaus and back down again. It was actually a really nice afternoon in the end.

Snow conditions are worse than 2 weekends ago, but that's hardly surprising it was 25 degrees at our house on Thursday and it's been fairly warm for ages now!

Snow coverage is still decent in the main, although you can see blue glacial ice in places now, but still considerably better than it was a year ago.

Looks as though the end of next week will be a bit cooler.

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I skiied 9-4, in fact I was last on the Lärmstange chair up. Bit firm first thing but for the time of year I think conditions were great. Cracking day.

Asked at ticket office about the media post re runs 11 & 12. It was a miscommunication and should not have been posted and has since been deleted. I don't do Facebook etc it was the Mrs who told me about it. Pity as I also like that side. Probably a bit windy for the chair.

snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Whitegoldsbrother, our paths potentially crossed then!

Is it half term in the UK atm? I noticed/heard a number of British voices, and saw CDC are there.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes my daughter is off all week. I heard a few Brits too. I was even asked if I ski moguls at Hemel! Famous or Infamous not sure which.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@swskier,
I was on the Tuxer Fernerhaus terrace about half one. Had a red England shirt on with 16 on the back, cos all my ski stuff went to Vienna in my ski bag. Its a long story but I've literally got just enough kit to ski in and the clothes I travelled in.

Fortunately, I always carry my boots on my back and just about enough kit to ski. Had to rent skis, Stöckli Lasers, so every cloud etc...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Whitegoldsbrother, we probably walked below you, as we took the dog over just to the right where you look out, there's a small slope they built there for a little park set up they had a couple of weekends ago.
snow conditions
Quote:
Mrs Swskier played around on skis at the Tuxer Fernerhaus with the dog, trying to get him used to skiing
Can't wait to see him on Britain's Got Talent! Laughing
ski holidays
Even better today, in fact so good I skipped lunch. Last off the hill again, ski patrol must be getting sick of me.

ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Mrs Swskier played around on skis at the Tuxer Fernerhaus with the dog, trying to get him used to skiing
Can't wait to see him on Britain's Got Talent! Laughing

Got to earn his keep somehow Laughing Laughing
snow report
@Whitegoldsbrother, looks great.

I'm holding out hope for a lunch time finish at work on Friday and getting up for a couple of hours skiing. By the end of today i'll be not far off having gained a whole day of overtime hours, so fingers crossed!

Not sure how the weather will be, and if it's not good I won't bother.
snow conditions
Gletscher report 23/10:

Overcast day but good visibility until about 2pm when the cloud rolled in. Usual firm start this morning but with about 2cm fresh overnight. Once it softened a little superb skiing all day and without the sun it stayed that way. Snowing lightly above Fernerhaus when I called it a day about 3:45.

I saw the lifty's hut being installed at the top of Kaiserer 1 t-bar this morning so opening could be imminent, probably the day after I go home. Also noticed snow cannons on Tuxerjoch yesterday but I'm guessing just a trial as they were off again today.

Yesterday similar but better vis, again skiing superb.

@swskier, I am skiing till lunch time Friday whence unfortunately I have to depart for Blighty. I can give you an on the hill update about 11am when i stop for coffee if you want?
ski holidays
@Whitegoldsbrother, 3:45pm, slacking off today? wink Laughing

Update sounds good on Friday, it'll be dictated by what happens at work, but i'm hopeful I might make it up.

Fingers crossed for the Kaserer t-bars, it really helps to spread things out a bit more, and they already have the Lärmstange chair open, so access is already there.
snow report
Gletscher report end of play 24/10:

Cold, overcast day with low, at times almost zero visibility, quite windy but was greeted by about 40mm fresh over groomed this morning.

I quite like skiing in these conditions, almost skiing off feel as much as sight. Despite the low vis I still managed a 40+ miles ski day (not inc lifts), was last up the Lärmstange and last out the Fernerhaus.

I noted on my many times up the Lärmstange chair that they are excavating the footing of both Kaiserer t-bars. The gantries have a pronounced downward lean to them so I suspect they are going to drag the whole lot back upright. Literally moving the goalposts.

@swskier, I will post up tomorrow around 11 at the coffee stop
snow conditions
@swskier, live update: gletscherbus 3 @10:54am

It's a YES from me

I ain't stopping for no coffee Very Happy
snow conditions
@Whitegoldsbrother, looks brilliant, i'll be up around 1pm I think.

New salopettes just arrived in the post, and the CARV batteries are charged up, so i'm good to go! snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
@swskier,

Enjoy. I'm sure you will.

One thing I should mention, there's about 50m walk to gletscherbus 3.
latest report
@Whitegoldsbrother, that was the same last Sunday, not the end of the world, it was fully ski-able at the start of October.
ski holidays
swskier wrote:
@Whitegoldsbrother, that was the same last Sunday, not the end of the world, it was fully ski-able at the start of October.

Agree, it's worth it opposed the 10er gondola plus 3b chair. Plus you don't get the back of your calves battered !!

Have to say it's still pretty firm in a lot of places, just come down 3 and the lower section seems to have re-frozen this morning.

I'm into my last hour Sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy