Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt and Cervinia 2024-25

Poster: A snowHead
Doccam wrote:
@JohnMo thanks for the links. There’s a decent spa at the hotel to keep them occupied but it’s more to meet up for lunch than anything.

Hopefully the guides office or the tourist office in town can help you out.

The place everyone will tell you you must got to is Chalet étoille. It is the most famous restaurant on the Italian side and possibly in the combined area (Chez Vrony on the Swiss side would dispute this). It is excellent and a great place for skiers and non-skiers to meet up.

Obviously non-skiers have to use gondolas and can’t use chairlifts. Fortunately Chalet étoille is very close to Plan Maison. Plan Maison is the top of the gondola from town and a place you will find yourself coming through very frequently. Your non-skiers can get the gondola to Plan Maison and then it is about a 1km easy walk to Chalet étoille. I don’t think you would need snowshoes to get there.

If the non-skiers did want to combine a visit there for lunch with you with a morning snowshoe walk, both of the marked snowshoe walks begin (or one can be made to end) at Plan Maison. These are very scenic, compacted, signposted and safe.

The first trail is approximately 4.5 km long and winds along the left-hand side of the Plan Maison chair lift (2,500 metres a.s.l.), ending up at the station above the Fornet chair lift (2,800 metres a.s.l.). It goes past Chalet étoille. They don’t need to go as far as the Fornet chairlift and can turn round and head back.

The second trail, which is also starts at Plan Maison, is longer (6 km) and ends up at the Cime Bianche Laghi station (2,812 metres a.s.l.). From there they can get the gondola back to Plan Maison. Alternatively they could get the gondola up to Cime Bianche Laghi and take the snowshoe walk back to Plan Maison (that trail also goes close to Chalet étoille.

Another possibility would be to snowshoe walk or get the gondola from Plan Maison to Cime Bianche Laghi and then snowshoe walk down to the restaurant Pousset (and back after) . It is also about 1km. It would be walking along the side of the piste which I never enjoy. But it is only 1km.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snow down to 2500m last night. GFS models suggesting more might be incoming on Friday although Meteo Swiss think not (at least on the Swiss side - the storm later in the week is coming from the south so maybe a better chance on the Italian side).

The temperatures are remaining low. Good news for getting the ground cold before layers of snow start building up on it. And good for the snow making.

The piste bashers are out on the lower glacier. Maybe the Furggsattel lift might start running this Saturday? My memory might be wrong but I think that would be the first time in my 11 years of being semi based out there that the lift has started at what the timetable describes as “the earliest possible opening date”

snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The new solar panel farm up at Trockener Steg has been approved by a referendum in Zermatt (the Swiss love a referendum). Building work will start next year.

Here is a diagram of the proposed solar farm. For those who only go in winter, the lake will appear as a flat frozen area. It is on your left as you ski down from Trockener Steg to Furgg. You look over it from the Trockener Steg lift station cafe. Sandinger Boden on the right is where the chair lift comes up to.

Good for electricity for the commune. Not the most attractive addition to the ski area.

snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
They didn’t open the Furggsattel lift today. Little bit surprised as there looks to be enough snow. Next week is looking promising on the snow front so maybe next Saturday will be the day.

snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looking very encouraging up top. Tuesday seems to show an addition top up and lower temps.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Run28 wrote:
Looking very encouraging up top. Tuesday seems to show an addition top up and lower temps.

Yep. Meteo Swiss reporting 15 mm precipitation on Tuesday (range of 8 mm - 26mm). The zero degree level is not forecast to drop below 3000m unfortunately. So snow line a couple of hundred metres below that. OK for snow on the lines served by the Furggsattel lift but not really dropping much below that.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looking for some advice on buying skipasses for Cervinia for 4 days with a possible add on to Zermatt on one of the days when we get there, if the link is open.

I'm looking at the tariff leaflet on the Cervinia site. I *think* I need 2 adult and 2 junior passes for Breuil-Cervinia and Valtourneche for 4 days. If I scroll down to the Zermatt section, I think a daily pass is this? Copied and pasted, apologies for the format. Am I on the right track?

Is it simple to just buy a daily pass when we're there? We're there over Christmas, so I've heard that winds can close the link, so I'd rather just decide on the day if we're going to go for it rather than commit ahead of time. This will be our first time skiing in Cervinia so I don't know the area at all.

Thanks.

Abbinabile ad uno ski pass plurigiornaliero o stagionale/en combinaison avec un ski pass pluri-journalier ou saisonnier/can be combined with a multi-
day and seasonal ski pass

ADULTO/ADULTE/ADULT JUNIOR 3)

SUPPLEMENTO GIORNALIERO/SUPPLEMENT POUR UN JOUR/DAILY
SUPPLEMENT

€ 52,00
al giorno / par jour / per day

€ 26,00
al giorno / par jour / per day
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Owlette, I would wait till you are there for the Zermatt add on. As you rightly say, buying now could be a total waste of money. A simple additional purchase when good weather is assured.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'll be there in January. Any tips for first time visitors?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Do a day in Zermatt (assuming you are based in Cervinia), if you like food book the Chalet Etoile on piste for lunch, the long run down to Valtourneche is said to be the longest in Europe (although it is interrupted by one chair lift). One of nicer things I've done on skis is get last lift to the top of Cervinia, wait about 30 minutes for everyone to ski down, then enjoy a long descent on wide pistes with the alpenglow on the mountains beside you, superb
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jamo wrote:

Is “there” Zermatt or Cervinia?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Apologies, I'll be in Zermatt. I hope to get over to Cervinia, weather permitting.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

One of nicer things I've done on skis is get last lift to the top of Cervinia, wait about 30 minutes for everyone to ski down, then enjoy a long descent on wide pistes with the alpenglow on the mountains beside you, superb

Love that idea! Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
8611 wrote:
the long run down to Valtourneche is said to be the longest in Europe (although it is interrupted by one chair lift).

Of the three mega drops (Klein Matterhorn down to: Zermatt, Breuil Cervinia; or Valtournenche) I prefer the one down to Breuil Cervinia. It is actually dropping the least of the three. But it is the one that is consistently exhilarating the whole way. The Valtournenche one has the flat (with uphill bit!) to get you over to the Valtournenche section where in some conditions you end up skating and as you say has the short lift that interrupts it. Still a great run mind.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jamo wrote:
Apologies, I'll be in Zermatt. I hope to get over to Cervinia, weather permitting.

One comment you will often hear is that the Zermatt ski area is “disjointed”. Obviously it is not for me but I sort of understand the comment.

There are two types of skier: those who spend a lot of time over piste maps before they go to a place; and those who wander to the lift station on the first day thinking “I wonder where we should go” (I am 100% the first type). Zermatt is a place that rewards spending time understanding the piste areas and how they connect up. There are four areas on the Swiss side. From North to South: Rothorn; Gornegrat; Schwarzsee (including Hirli); and Klein Matterhorn. Once you are on one of those areas they are really easy to enjoy the various pistes on them. What you need to be able to do is work out which pistes and lifts you should use to get from one area to another. It is easier to do that from the piste map before you travel than standing on the mountain.

January is pretty dark in Zermatt. That is particularly the case in the Klein Matterhorn and Schwarzsee sectors. Rothorn and Gornegrat have more pistes that get sun for longer. Cervinia is more south facing so it is particularly worth going over in January (weather, meaning mainly wind, permitting). It is worth going over at any time as it is a very different experience to the Swiss side (plus the food is cheaper and at the “cheap and cheerful” level it is better).
snow conditions
Thanks @johnmo. I've read that it is disjointed, but also that you just need to plan your movements. I'm 100% the first type as well Very Happy . I've done extensive research on the trail map. Fingers crossed we get decent weather (particularly the wind) and we can get over to Cervinia at least once or twice.

We've got a snowarder with us. Are there any areas in zermatt you'd avoid for flat/uphill?
snow conditions
JohnMo wrote:
8611 wrote:
the long run down to Valtourneche is said to be the longest in Europe (although it is interrupted by one chair lift).

Of the three mega drops (Klein Matterhorn down to: Zermatt, Breuil Cervinia; or Valtournenche) I prefer the one down to Breuil Cervinia. It is actually dropping the least of the three. But it is the one that is consistently exhilarating the whole way. The Valtournenche one has the flat (with uphill bit!) to get you over to the Valtournenche section where in some conditions you end up skating and as you say has the short lift that interrupts it. Still a great run mind.

Yeah I actually agree. The valtourneche one is more famous for whatever reason but cervinia is the nicest.
latest report
Jamo wrote:
Quote:

One of nicer things I've done on skis is get last lift to the top of Cervinia, wait about 30 minutes for everyone to ski down, then enjoy a long descent on wide pistes with the alpenglow on the mountains beside you, superb

Love that idea! Very Happy

do this everytime i'm there. not always that easy as ski patrol can chase you down but it is epic, especially earlier in season. take run 5 down from plan maison. its just wow wow wow
snow report
8611 wrote:
JohnMo wrote:
8611 wrote:

Yeah I actually agree. The valtourneche one is more famous for whatever reason but cervinia is the nicest.

what run do you take down to cervinia? 7?
snow conditions
Jamo wrote:

Do you want restaurant tips and tricks also?
ski holidays
Not sure but kind of skiers centre right so you're over towards the shoulder of (what I think is) the Matterhorn. So maybe 6 over to some of the high 20s ones. As I recall those pistes around there are all pretty wide. Real sense of expanse of mountain around you.

Reminds me of the final shot in the few words trailer from a few years back (presumably actually shot in la clusaz)

At 3.43 here:-

http://youtube.com/v/eL2sCAvM29A?si=ndTF2lH3Pntr4V_K
snow conditions
Jamo wrote:

We've got a snowarder with us. Are there any areas in zermatt you'd avoid for flat/uphill?

Like the “disjointed” comment, you will see some people say Zermatt is not great for snowboarding. We get plenty of snowboarders and I have friends/family who snowboard (although I can tell them where they need to get up their speed). Certainly Cervinia is better for snowboarding.

If you work from the piste map linked below, going from North to South (left to right):

Rothorn sector: just before you get to Kumme there is an uphill section on piste 14 that many people don’t get up enough speed to get up.

Gornegrat sector: the black 29 to Kelle ends up with an uphill sector. You can get up enough speed to get up it. The 44 coming down from Hohtälli also has a flatish section before it rejoins the main Gornegrat runs.

Schwarzsee/Hirli: do not take the 52 unless you want to go to Stafelalp restaurant. That also applies to skiers. It has an uphill section there is no chance of getting up enough speed for. The long approach to Furi on the 51 has sections I don’t think a snowboarder would appreciate.

Klein Matterhorn: run 88 over Plateau Rosa to the border is pretty flat. But you get a good view of it from the slopes above it so can get up speed. The first bit of 73 is also fairly flat.

https://www.zermatt.ch/en/Lifts-pistes/Panokarte-Ausflugsberge/Piste-map-Winter-panorama

As I say most of the trickier points can be death with by getting a bit of speed up - provided of course that you see them in time! Also as a proportion of the total ski area they don’t amount to much.
snow conditions
Great tips, I appreciate it.
latest report
Quote:

Yes please! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Can I jump on for Cervinia recommendations and tips, please?

Family of 4. 13 year old son is very capable and confident (perhaps overconfident at times). 11 year old son is capable but less confident. Loves an opportunity to play in the snow. I'm fairly comfortable on skis and started attempting some blacks earlier this year in Les Arcs with a decent rate of success. I'm not a fan of moguls. Husband is capable but not confident. He tends to focus on the colour of the piste, rather than the reality of it and will go into a defensive snowplough. I'm hoping the allegedly wide, cruisey reds in Cervinia will help with this. He is considering some more 1-1 lessons on our next trip to France, but not this one as it's only a short trip.

I'd love any tips about some chilled out skiing for us to do together, and where there might be options for more confident ones to zip off and meet others at a junction further down. Kids will not be in ski school on thus occasion.

I've been studying the piste map, and if we manage to get over to the Swiss side, I can't find an easy way down to Zermatt. Any tips here would be fantastic, please. Walk me through it piste by lift by piste. Would we be better downloading into Zermatt with a nervous skier in tow?
snow report
Jamo wrote:
Quote:

Yes please! Madeye-Smiley

Right...where to start:

Favourite mountain restaurants: Findlerhof, Fluhalp, Zum See, Stafelalp, Blatten and Aroleid. If I had a gun to my head and had to pick three it would be Finderhof, Blatten and Zum See.
Favourite town restaurants: Le Chalet (Guiseppe), Spycher, Whympertsube, Le Gitan, Elsies and Grampis. All quite different but again..gun to head I would do Le Chalet, Elsies and Le Gitan and Grampis for old time sake.

Favourite runs: 28, 19, 11, 72 and 71 on a clear day and then 85,83,81, 73,75,66,65,64 and 62 to town in one hit.
snow report
@Owlette, one of the criticisms of Cervinia is that there isn't any really challenging terrain, on piste at least, so I think you'll find most if not all of the ski area is suitable to your needs.

Johnmo will be on to tell you more but my recollection is that the run down to Zermatt is on the red side of red but still enjoyable.
latest report
Quote:

Thank you for restaurant recommendations...some of those are already on my list...I will look again at the "gun to head" suggestions.

Favourite runs: 28

I note your username Very Happy. I'd actually marked this on my "to-do" list and found this old footage of 28 + 25 into Findeln.

http://youtube.com/v/byAxhehOiuc&ab_channel=ThomasGutsche (note it is old and shaky)

Thanks for those others as well, esp stringing those runs together.

Two questions:
1. Where are the widest runs at Zermatt? Due to the glacier base, many of the runs are narrow for safety - but where are the widest?
2. Which area/runs has the best treeline...I know that isn't the vibe at Zermatt, but just out of interest.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Owlette wrote:
Looking for some advice on buying skipasses for Cervinia for 4 days with a possible add on to Zermatt on one of the days when we get there, if the link is open.

I'm looking at the tariff leaflet on the Cervinia site. I *think* I need 2 adult and 2 junior passes for Breuil-Cervinia and Valtourneche for 4 days. If I scroll down to the Zermatt section, I think a daily pass is this? Copied and pasted, apologies for the format. Am I on the right track?

Is it simple to just buy a daily pass when we're there? We're there over Christmas, so I've heard that winds can close the link, so I'd rather just decide on the day if we're going to go for it rather than commit ahead of time. This will be our first time skiing in Cervinia so I don't know the area at all.
Once you have bought your first day’s pass, you can use the card to load up extra days via the website, so you can do it over breakfast, assuming the weather is good enough to ski. This has the advantage that if the weather is poor, you just don’t buy a pass and you save quite a bit of money. It also means that on the day you decide to go over to Zermatt you just buy an international day pass, which is going to be much cheaper than a local day pass plus an international upgrade.
ski holidays
Jamo wrote:

Two questions:
1. Where are the widest runs at Zermatt? Due to the glacier base, many of the runs are narrow for safety - but where are the widest?
2. Which area/runs has the best treeline...I know that isn't the vibe at Zermatt, but just out of interest.

1) Apart from the resort runs, those down to Furi on the Klein Matterhorn side and the run from Hohtalli to Gornergrat I'd say they're nearly all pretty wide
2) Below Sunnegga
snow report
@koru, the exception to this though is that they operate ‘demand’ pricing. (Oasis style). Late bought lift time could be more expensive therefore. Each to decide which way to go.
snow conditions
@koru, the exception to this though is that they operate ‘demand’ pricing. (Oasis style). Late bought lift time could be more expensive therefore. Each to decide which way to go.
snow conditions
Whitters wrote:
Jamo wrote:

Two questions:

1) Apart from the resort runs, those down to Furi on the Klein Matterhorn side and the run from Hohtalli to Gornergrat I'd say they're nearly all pretty wide
2) Below Sunnegga

Agreed. Klein, Trock and some Gornergrat are all fairly wide. Klein and Trock particularly.

Tree line you want to look below Rothorn (but be careful) and below Furi - in Zermatt always take a guide with you. Trees can be lethal.
snow report
To add to this: by Rothorn I mean below Kumme - runs 18 and 15b. Be careful through these areas as they are an environmentally protected area for wildlife.

Check the yellows off Schwarzsee also. Runs 58,59 and 60.
ski holidays
Yellow trails require avalanche gear right? Beacon etc.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy