Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fatmap will be totally integrated into Strava Oct 1st

Poster: A snowHead
I can't seem to find the off-piste routes on Strava that were on fat map. If you specify "backcountry skiing" a very few come up (mostly or entirely touring routes) but, for example in Alagna there were at least 30 routes there, and they just aren't there now. Or am I looking in the wrong place?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That's it, I'm rage quitting Strava. It's naff anyway but I'm even more disillusioned now. From what I can tell they've no intention of integrating all of Fatmaps features so they've basically destroyed the only app that did what Fatmap did, as far as I can tell
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think this provides a bit of context.
Quote:
Such omissions will render Fatmap useless for those who use it to navigate remote terrain, or for those trying to figure out whether to attempt a particular ski slope.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Layne wrote:
I think this provides a bit of context.
Quote:
Such omissions will render Fatmap useless for those who use it to navigate remote terrain, or for those trying to figure out whether to attempt a particular ski slope.

Thanks for this! It's more detailed than the responses I'm getting from Strava support (which is essentially just copy pasting bits from the FAQ on the subject)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@STyler, just out of interest are you a Premium Strava subscriber?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I was but I cancelled it recently as I didn't find the premium features all that useful. I'd sign back up for the Fatmap features alone. I was a premium Fatmap subscriber.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@STyler, so hopefully the Strava powers that be will are working on a strategy to bring FatMap users like you
back into paying for Strava?

Mind you since when was logic part of a sensible business strategy rolling eyes
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Outmap seems to be the best alternative I've found so far. While not as good as fatmap it's ok - 3d views, slope gradient/avalanche overlays, route planning with downloadable gpx.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@weathercam true! From what I've read so far they've taken the bits they were most interested in (like flyover) and are considering the others but have no plans to implement anything more before this winter season or next years. So if it's not a priority and doesn't fall into the category of reasons they bought Fatmap in the first place, it's a punt if they'll invest in the dev work required
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@boarder2020, the avalanche overlay is what I like/want from an app, so i'll try Outmap.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boarder2020 wrote:
Outmap seems to be the best alternative I've found so far. While not as good as fatmap it's ok - 3d views, slope gradient/avalanche overlays, route planning with downloadable gpx.

Thanks for this! This is probably the best alternative I've found so far! Very Happy Mr. Green
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@STyler, agreed. Can't see them bringing in a lot of the old stuff, it's simply too niche, the vast majority of Strava users aren't interested.

@swskier, yep, it's definitely less bells and whistles but seems like it has enough for planning tours. Like you, I've become accustomed to the avalanche overlay and find it particularly useful.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It’s another example of this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enshittification

Off to check Outmap Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That’s seriously annoying. All the freeride and ski touring routes have gone Crying or Very sad

Thanks for writing in. Currently, there are no ski touring / freeride routes.

Bringing mapping technology from FATMAP to Strava continues to be a key priority for us. FATMAP's 3D map is already visible in Strava's Flyover feature, and now includes the ability to pause and modify flight speed. You can also see FATMAP's 3D map images in the Strava feed.

As we look ahead, we are in the process of integrating FATMAPs 3D map, including winter satellite maps and terrain tools, into other map screens within the Strava app and website.

In addition, FATMAP route content, excluding user-generated content, will be moved to Strava. We are currently working on the new home for these routes so they can be used seamlessly within the Strava app. Please note that you can also proactively transfer your routes on FATMAP to Strava before October 1st using our data tool here, which we encourage you to do.

Certain FATMAP features will not be available in Strava in time for the coming northern hemisphere winter including waypoints, personal guidebooks, national topo maps (including IGN and OS maps), offline map downloads of the FATMAP map and live snow and piste information. We are exploring adding these and similar features to Strava in the future.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@BobinCH, if it was such a priority it seems weird they haven't managed to do it. Also why close down fatmap before the product is actually working on Strava? I get the impression they just wanted the nice flyover 3d maps, ironically something I doubt most fatmap users were particularly interested in.
ski holidays
Anyone else tried Outmap and found it really hammers the CPU just viewing 3D maps? Only playing for about 5 minutes before noticing the fingers supporting the back of my phone were getting quite warm.
ski holidays
@BobinCH, “ offline map downloads of the FATMAP map ”….. another _really_ useful feature just binned. Think I’ll be adding my voice to the complaints team at Strava….. not that they’ll be listening. How frustrating.
snow conditions
Tried strava for a day and cancelled the trial. Gaia gps seems ok and relief maps seems to be ok too but not as good as FATMAP
ski holidays
Just spotted this - App not yet available on Android (may be iOs) ...currently still in development for Scandinavia, but planning to release Alpine areas by December.

Could be perfect timed release to replace Fatmap if it's any good https://skida.app/

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bjarteo/skida-alpine-adventures?ref=discovery&total_hits=1325&category_id=332
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy