Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Switch from skiing to snowboarding

Poster: A snowHead
@Origen, I wouldn't advise them to start...but I would say that if they learnt to go backwards then they'd find forwards much easier wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@SnoodyMcFlude, If you’re reasonably fit and have an aptitude for picking sports up you’ll pick it up relatively easily.

Edited to add; you mention you’re goofy (we won’t hold it against you) so you will have a directional bias if you surf, when you learn you’ll usually learn to do stuff in both directions. Just make sure you do things in equal measures. I picked it up really quickly, but went off chasing mates so spent about one percent of my time switch. It now feels quite unnatural.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Yes...and... I have similar rolling eyes

@Origen, Eye roll aimed (badly) at me! Not you. Sorry. Dressing up is fun, but not quite sure what it does for our image....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
When I learned snowboarding many years ago as an already-competent skier (SCGB rep at the time, read into that what you will) I really wanted to focus on the idea of a front and a back end of the board, none of this sliding sideways which at that time seemed to be what the majority of boarders were doing. My wife and I took a couple of hours with an instructor we knew very well, on a day when we had no members to ski with at all, and worked hard. I'd previously tried self-teaching with not too much success a couple of times.

So yes, I had a number of spectacular, and painful falls from front to back edge, no helmets in those days but didn't bang my head so obvs didn't need one Eh oh! . By the end of the day I was able to negotiate a red run (Jade, IIRC, in Flaine) with more or less linked turns all the way down. So it can be done. I boarded only a few times after that, then smashed up my back in a motorbike accident so gave it up after that. But in any case I'd achieved what I'd set out to do, another box ticked, sorta thing, and it was clear that I would never get to the same level as I could on skis. Or indeed, wouldn't really want to. Horses for courses.

So I don't really have any advice for the OP here - give it a go, basically, wear lots of protective gear, be prepared to fall hard and not be scared of it, but most important for me, I think, was the understanding of what the edge was doing, the same physics as skiing, and the focus on trying to keep it moving lengthwise across the snow.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wouldn't advise going to the darkside.

But, if you do, take a 2-week vacation, and practice hard (every day).

Few people master both skiing and boarding.

It's harder than you think.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Whitegold wrote:
Few people master both skiing OR boarding.
FIFY
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was 36 when I first tried a board, as I wanted to spend the week with my gf who was a total beginner; so both start from scratch.

I picked it up very quickly, which surprised me (could get down easier Reds without much aggro at the end of a week), I also found that I would swap goofy and regular without thinking about it. There were twins in the group who were unbelievably good, but were both skate-boarders; never been on snow before though. Four of us were well ahead of the rest, the other was also a skier.

Going fast is scary, fast on a traverse is even less funny.
Catching a heel side edge and getting the full whip lash into the snow nearly put the lights out (pre helmet days).

What did annoy me was having to pick a route down, rather than just "that way" regardless of grade or an actual piste being there.

Following year we both (now upgraded to wife) went skiing, wife found that easier, and we`ve both just skied ever since.
Kids both ski.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all the help with this.

As an update it turns out UCPA are not offering snowboard lessons the week I am there so I think I'll stick to skiing this year, will take all the comments "on board" for next year though.

Still deciding if I can face another week of the UCPA expert half day ski program. I don't really know if I get much out of a week of group piste lessons but that's another thread Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I’m glad I tried snowboarding. Had some fantastic days floating on powder.

My mistake was leaving it until I was almost 40 to start. I was fit and strong, but the falls hurt more than anything I’ve ever experienced skiing.

Found it relatively easy to get to feeling comfortable on blues and many reds in places like St Anton, Tignes and Verbier. Progression beyond that didn’t happen because I never committed another full week to it, just odd days.

Steep didn’t seem to matter so much. Crowded flat sections were gnot gnice.

Start as soon as you can.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My 2 cents.

Dome rental boards are not ideal. Boards are ok but chances are they won't be freshly edged and waxed. Stance angles probably ok but might no be the ideal width for you. Some they will change for you - some they won't.

If you can, go with your own well prepped board. Plenty of good 2nd hand setups for £100. I'm sure plenty of folks here happy to help you look for something.

Or borrow a board off someone here. Something with a bit of rocker is easier to learn on for sure

If learning on real snow:
-don't learn when it's hard and icy. That's a ski day.
-learning to board on a green is tricky. It's easier to turn on a blue. As you already ski at a high level, you are already used to picking up speed during edge transition.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
learn snowboard. Have gear for both of them.
If the slopes/snow are hard packed icy etc, then go skiing
For powder days, choose which passed with the resort & the slopes
When the Spring comes, choose a snowbard for shlushy snow e.g. Capita Spring Break Shlush, and enjoy the shlushy conditions
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Agree with the above. Its great to be able to do both.
I'm a 50 year old woman and I prefer to snowboard most of the time (comfortable boots, light kit, proving to myself I'm cool/still young.. but not anyone else, because obvs the cool kids ski now)...Been skiing since my 20s but learned to snowboard about 10 years ago.
Snowboarding is easy after the first few days and much easier than skiing for steeper slopes, as long as they're wide, and off piste.
Skiing is better for high mileage hard piste days..and going fast.

Rocker boards help reduce the number of edge catchy nasty falls...there are plenty of great videos on where to put your weight, imagining headlights on your knees..just work out which is your front foot, keep your weight over it, hang like a monkey..you're away.

Shippo
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My advice for anyone wanting to do this are:
1. Commit to it completely. By that I mean book a full week's worth of lessons and probably do a day in a snowdome in the UK before you go.
2. Understand that the first few hours, possibly couple of days will not be fun. It is punishing. You will fall far more than when you were learning to ski. Just remember that this was to be expected and the fun times are only a day or two away.
3. Wear protection.
4. Be prepared for rage at fellow skiers who stop on flats or make things difficult on lift exit (it's not their fault, you can't understand unless you've boarded).
5. Be prepared to fall in love to such a degree that you might never put on a set of skis again.

My experience was that I'd fallen in love with skiing at the age of 23 and did three holidays and half a season before seriously plateauing. To the point that skiing just became a means of transport rather than enjoyment. My technique was terrible and I was getting back ache.
My friend took my out on a snowboard, I linked turns after a couple of hours, fell a lot...and the rest is history. I have never once put on a pair of skis again. Just the action of snowboarding itself is enjoyable. It feels fun, and it still does 14 years, a couple more seasons and several holidays later. I'm pretty sporty-love football, squash, gym and running, but snowboarding is my favourite by some distance.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ryunis, interesting point 4, not sure those things annoy me any less as a skier.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Origen wrote:
Learning snowboarding the "natural" way is a steep learning curve for the first few days. I don't see much argument for making it even steeper, but some people enjoy tough challenges!! Would you advise people learning to ski to start by going backwards. Though I have seen kids really enjoy showing off to their parents skiing backwards after lessons doing just that!

My kids (now only in the ‘I still bl**dy pay for them’ sense) started to learn boarding last year, after years of skiing. Their instructor explicitly told them to practice switch once they got comfortable going forwards, as a great way to get a better feel for the balance and weight transfer mechanics. In fact my son did his second ever black switch “to see if he could”* - this just did not compute in my ‘learn to ski as an adult’ brain

*he couldn’t - he fell over half way down, and slid the rest of the way
ski holidays
You will pick it up faster since you know how to use your edges already. It is a lot of fun and definitely won't ruin skiing for you.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy