Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva airport

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I didn't say such apps still exist - I have no idea - just mentioned that they are illegal in Switzerland. Just googled it, out of interest, and it seems that apps which warn of speed traps are not illegal in the UK. Doesn't bother me either way, as I don't consciously speed. Never been done for speeding in the UK but was once in France, not being aware (as I should have been Embarassed ) that any place with a name automatically has a 50 kph limit.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowyc wrote:
Origen wrote:

It can take a lot more than 10 - 15 minutes more. And remember either to switch satnav off once you get back into France, or enable some option which won't have you sent up a forestry road covered in snow.

It's all about current traffic but my recent trip from swiss side took me through local roads anyway due to traffic on motorway. The previous trip from French side took 10-15min

Origen wrote:

And though it's unlikely to be a problem, remember that using any device which alerts a driver to speed traps is illegal in Switzerland. Or so they say..... Skullie

Is there any app still working? Waze and google maps no longer alert about speed cameras in switzerland.

Waze definitely alerted cameras in CH (Valias) in April.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Ozboy, Waze gets around the rules by not calling out speed cameras in particular, but police presence, which includes physical obstructions, instead. I'm not a fan of it, TBH, it's not specific enough.
@Origen, CamSam is my app of choice, and yes, it's technically illegal here. But honestly I view it more as a driving aid than as a speeding-enabler. There are so many cameras and so many different speed limits between Geneva and our home that the additional input of a specific-speed camera warning makes it much easier to ensure you've not accidentally failed to spot a change in the limit. It's not like you can just set your cruise-control, or a maximum speed warning and then forget about it.

As it happens we drove back that way just last weekend, late at night (left GVA around midnight) so in mostly light traffic. I didn't count up, but there must be at least thirty places, forty? maybe more? where the 120 reduces to 100, and probably about half of them that then reduce to 80, as well as some that go straight from 120 to 80, usually in the roadworks (of which perhaps about a dozen places) so the constant effort involved in adhering to them puts a significant additional strain on the driver.

Which is why I usually choose to go the other way, through Geneva thence Thonon and up here via Chatel. 40km shorter, normally takes just five or ten minutes more, but there's a road closure and diversion adding around 15m that way at the moment, so...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The speed limit on the road out from Geneva airport to Bernex (and back in) has speed limits which change according to traffic flow, too. So just when you think you're getting the hang of it, it changes.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not Bernex, I knew I was remembering that wrong. rolling eyes And I've driven through it so often. Bardonnex?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just checked Europcar.ch and there’s no cross-border charge.

We rented our usual EV a couple of weeks ago and (I think) the chap told us we’d be charged extra if we brought it back with less than 80% charge. We pointed out that the email confirmation says it includes a full charge, and since then I’ve checked the website and that specifically says All our Electric car rentals include a Full Charge meaning you do not need to recharge before returning it at the end of your rental, saving you time and money. - so it’s certainly not in force!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy