Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Need help to stop my feet falling off

Poster: A snowHead
Then perhaps its you physically....and the boots are a secondary issue or not the only issue or main issue.
In another very recent thread CEM already mentions physical flexion as a possible along with most threads .

Often looking at the person in the boots physically is a big part of the answer .
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes I think you may be right. Anyone know if I can ski in snowboard boots?

Don’t want to be a snowboarder. But do want their comfort haha.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You are missing the point !
If you dont have physical flexion in the lower leg and ankle to ski your feet will hurt in any sport or boots that requires dosiflexion at the ankle.

Its a critical physical training need if you dont have it ......and you cant buy it amazon doesnt sell it no one does.
Footbeds and boots wont fix a lack of a physical flexion training need in the lower leg and ankle chain.

At some point the penny drops often that takes decades and dozens of pairs of boots.
I would consider it research it and then beat the clock .
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@bezthespaniard, if you have ankle flexibility issues which often do cause pain then you have 2 choices, you can stretch them to improve ROM (best) or get a more upright boot.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I worry it’s Morton’s that I have because the pain is in my 4th and 5th toe.

Also got an old injury from when I broke my big toe many years ago.

Hoping the right support helps.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@bezthespaniard, do you have any foot issues in your daily life or while doing other physical activities (walking, running, sports)?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Layne wrote:
@bezthespaniard, do you have any foot issues in your daily life or while doing other physical activities (walking, running, sports)?

Yes. Long walking in work shoes causes me to have toe pain or muscle cramp in the leg with the broken toe issue.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If the foot contorts or twists in the boot from a lack of flexion which it will do under load this can put severe pressure on the side of the foot and/or ones pinky.
In the end the pain is so much its hard to id location as it all just hurts like ell .

You actually need the training/stretching and certified bootfitting .....not just one or the other .

One is hard work requiring consistancy commitment and even can have a life cost especially with old injurys .... the other just has a money cost .

If you use salesman vs professional certified fitters your gambling at best with very bad odds .
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bezthespaniard wrote:
Layne wrote:

Yes. Long walking in work shoes causes me to have toe pain or muscle cramp in the leg with the broken toe issue.

The reason for asking is because of you already have a lot of problems with normal shoes doing normal activities then it may difficult to expect anything less with ski boots on - expertly fitted or not.

If I understood correctly these are long term problems that have never been (or can't be) addressed?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@bezthespaniard, Did you describe your old injury to the fitter when you went to Rivington Alpine?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I had a similar situation. Bought my first pair of boots from Snow and Rock in Milton Keynes. Had two ski holidays with feet in excruciating pain to the point where I would stop skiing at lunchtime.
At Snow and rock they had me try on several pairs of boots before settling on a pair which they then tweaked and paid for the custom footbed.
Eventually after seeking advice on this forum I went to Lockwoods in Leamington Spa for a custom fitting, tried on several pairs of boots but had no confidence in the fitter. I left without purchasing any boots.
I then booked an appointment at Solutions 4 Feet in Bicester. After taking extensive measurements I was offered one pair of boots. I had custom footbeds fitted. The fitters are also qualified orthotists. The difference in knowledge and expertise was so obvious. I now have a pair of boots that fit perfectly. It was also pointed out that the first pair of boots I had were totally unsuitable for my build. I can ski all day in comfort. I also had to persuade my wife that I needed to replace a perfectly “good” pair of boots but they have transformed my ski holidays.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@bezthespaniard, worth checking this post for a test you can do for your flex and also recommended calf foam rolling and bottom of foot spiky ball masssage!

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=166610#5208115
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Update: Convinced the wife to buy me new custom boots for Xmas!

After a 3 hour fitting, I’ve got amazing new boots and Superfeet custom insoles which feel a lot better than anything I’ve worn before.

Foot assessment shows I’m at 18 and 20 Range of Motion (which is low) and my foot position in the boot was causing issues without a footbed.

Currently breaking in the lovely boots.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@bezthespaniard, nice! Where did you go?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Excellent. Now are you aware that your new boots will only operate at maximum capacity in certain types of snow, namely Japan?
Isn’t that right everyone?
ski holidays
Everyone shitting on S&R but the answer is actually that it depends heavily on the fitter rather than the company. I had my original pair fitted at the Exeter branch and got decent service and decent boots that served me well. Of course unfortunately there's no guarantee with somewhere like S&R, especially as staff are often seasonal, which is why it's worth being cautious....but I wouldn't flatly exclude them.

That said, I do think that for a once every two year skier it's worth considering switching to board. The boots are definitely much better and statistically you'll look 30% cooler
ski holidays
Yep..comfortable boots is the main reason I swapping to snowboarding (and the 30% cooler thing).
snow report
kitenski wrote:
@bezthespaniard, nice! Where did you go?

Rivington Alpine. Was like a spa day for a skier
latest report
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
Everyone shitting on S&R but the answer is actually that it depends heavily on the fitter rather than the company. I had my original pair fitted at the Exeter branch and got decent service and decent boots that served me well. Of course unfortunately there's no guarantee with somewhere like S&R, especially as staff are often seasonal, which is why it's worth being cautious....but I wouldn't flatly exclude them.

That said, I do think that for a once every two year skier it's worth considering switching to board. The boots are definitely much better and statistically you'll look 30% cooler

Just a note on Snow and Rock as well as other places.

Customer service is essential! Snow and Rock website says you get a free custom footbed and free fitting. But it’s misleading so when I called they rudely told me it wasn’t included. Then apologised when they checked the website and saw that it says it should be…

I called a few places for advice. Some were rude and unhelpful and would never get my business.

Graham at Rivington Alpine was so helpful on the phone and in person. Top service.
snow report
Hadn't realised there was a second page Embarassed

@bezthespaniard, yeah that kind of response is poor, and suggests poor training too. I think I probably got lucky that the girl who served me was a seasoned skier herself and obviously knew what she was doing.
snow conditions
bezthespaniard wrote:
Graham at Rivington Alpine was so helpful on the phone and in person. Top service.

That's good to know, I've booked two of my family in!
snow report
I had my custom made boots fitted in a large store on the main street in St Anton, circa 2008. At the uncomfortable bit of the expanding foam, they gave me a large Schnapps Very Happy
ski holidays
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
it's worth considering switching to board. The boots are definitely much better and statistically you'll look 30% cooler

Absolutely, snowboard boots are far more comfortable, but it's the instrument of torture that they attach to that is the problem Very Happy
snow report
@bezthespaniard,

Glad that you have got sorted, you'll be able to go skiing 2x/year now, instead of every 2 yrs Very Happy Very Happy

Reading your initial post, I had similar pain, but it was actually due to a large inner ankle / pronation. I was putting all my weight onto the outer side of my foot to stop my ankle hurting. Custom, thermoformed boots cured the problem, but cutting the liner and a pad under the ball of the foot in my old boots helped a bit to ease the pressure on the inner ankle and transfer the load to the ball if the foot. I was surprised that pain at one end of the foot was actually caused by a problem at the other end of the foot.
ski holidays
Erroneously clamping the lower two (over the foot) latches too tight caused me foot pain issues by restricting circulation.

Once I learned not to do that and just adjusting the latches to the point where I could close them with a pinkie, they've been fine.
ski holidays
Switch to rear-entry skiboots.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy