Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski buying advice (or even better, reassurance)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Layne wrote:
tangowaggon wrote:
At 61kg, you are about 2/3 of my weight, I ski on 110s so 80s will give you a similar float to me on my 110s.

Not saying you are wrong but does it really work like that?

Well not taking design and rocker into consideration in terms of float it's pressure = force/area so increase the weight by a 1/3 you'd want to increase the base area by a 1/3 for a similar float by increasing the width and/or the length. To summarise.... short and heavy people ski deeper powder Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Layne wrote:
tangowaggon wrote:
At 61kg, you are about 2/3 of my weight, I ski on 110s so 80s will give you a similar float to me on my 110s.

Probably not entirely, when length is taken into account, but I'm suggesting that a light skier could have more problems with skiing on a wider ski than they need. There isn't much of my 90 kg that is fat, I can boss my 110s around on piste & carve turns like a piste ski. I don't notice the problems that others say about wider skis. I expect a 61kg skier on 110s will have a different experience.

Just as ski length is chosen according to skier weight, it would make sense to consider width too.

Bottom line is that the op has an opportunity to try many different skis & should listen to advice, but ultimately ski on a ski that suits their style, that they enjoy skiing on.
We've all seen some skiers with terrible style, but they enjoy what they are doing.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Layne wrote:
tangowaggon wrote:

The difference is not that pronounced. I am 61kg, and I would be able to get a *bit* of float on an 80mm ski, but nothing like a 95mm or wider. Certainly not so much that I would buy 80mm skis for the “float”! A lighter skier doesn't need to be at the extreme end of the wide ski scale, but you won't get that difference back over 30mm of ski width. Height will come into play too – someone 190cm vs 170cm probably has about 10cm of extra leg to lever them over with wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy