Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Strike in french ski resorts!!

Poster: A snowHead
This seems to answer my question:

https://www.thelocal.fr/20200214/these-are-the-french-ski-resorts-affected-by-unlimited-strike-action-in-february

Looks a bit ominous.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I’m hearing they’re expecting a big disruption in Moutiers but that for those going to the Trois Valleys the caisse will staying open until later for those held up, not sure how late that will be until though.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't you just love the French!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Serre-Chevalier is striking Saturday, Briancon closed until 10 and the other areas only opening the lower lifts until 10.........
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Radio Les Arcs reporting that lift opening will be delayed until around 10am.

The funicular will operate as normal.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not really sure what is actually happening here this morning. App is showing normal opening times and the lifts are currently open for staff, provisions, etc. I'm not venturing out for another couple of hours. Hopefully everything will be running as normal.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looking like very limited opening atm from the app and what I can see up the mountain. I'll give it another hour.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
KenX wrote:
Serre-Chevalier is striking Saturday, Briancon closed until 10 and the other areas only opening the lower lifts until 10.........

Is it just planned for Saturday? We are on route at the moment!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Claude B, what's the strike about? I gather it is something to do with out of season unemployment benefit for out of season, but I am not clear.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
achilles wrote:
@Claude B, what's the strike about? I gather it is something to do with out of season unemployment benefit for out of season, but I am not clear.

As I understand it those who work the seasons guess that means winter and summer in the mountains get benefits out of season so assume they dont bother working or looking for work, the government wants that to change and we know how the French love their benefits so they aren't happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That's basically it. But changing the formula for calculating the benefit, reducing it. Pisteurs are highly skilled and I know some who only have 4 months work. Others such as my neighbour work all year, Pisteur in winter and general maintenance work at other times.

They're being persistent here, still barely anything open. I might just go up at 3 for Diable au coeur happy hour Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
robs1 wrote:
achilles wrote:

As I understand it those who work the seasons guess that means winter and summer in the mountains get benefits out of season so assume they dont bother working or looking for work, the government wants that to change and we know how the French love their benefits so they aren't happy

Claude B is at Les Deux Alpes and so is in the Isère department - which has an unemployment rate of about 7%. Given the remote location of LDA, and the seasonal nature of work there, I expect that unemployment during the summer there is far higher. Now Claude B has a friend who works general maintenance out of season - but that sort of work is probably limited. Can't say I am thrilled at the strike action - after all it may still be going on when I go out. And of course, if costs go up, so will lift prices and so skiing may decline ; worst case it could eventually cease. But without having a greater feel for the local situation, it is a bit difficult to form a judgement on the strikers.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Currently the seasonal workers get unemployment benefit outside their seasonal work, the new changes to the rules will see this amount be reduced significantly. The current system allows the workers to survive in the off season and return to the mountains / beach when work is available. The risk being faced is that these highly skilled workers may just need to look for other full time work which could mean a substantial loss of personnel .
These personnel have a wide variety of skill sets that can’t be found easily elsewhere or learnt quickly, for example the maintenance staff who know their lifts inside out so that it keeps turning efficiently for your pleasure. So please don’t go French bashing too much.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have now rebooked for Austria. My holiday time is not a renewable resource.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Don’t leave the 3 Vallées until tomorrow, there was no discernable lift disruption today as far as we could see. Someone said Masse 1 didn’t run for a bit, I suppose that’s one lift that wouldn’t strand anyone if it didn’t spin.
ski holidays
Pumba wrote:
The risk being faced is that these highly skilled workers may just need to look for other full time work which could mean a substantial loss of personnel .

I think the issue is the state getting involved in markets to rig how they function. Unemployment benefits for unexpected layoffs due to poor snow or a broken lift I can understand but for a regular thing - off season feet up - that should be factored in to the job / salary. If staff become harder to find then wages will rise even if that has an effect on lift passes. I'm not sure why the 95% of tax payers who never go skiing should subsidize winter sports. Ditto for the opera, avignon festival and all the other stuff that is similarly subsidized.
ski holidays
They held out all day here, very little open and are talking about next Saturday too. I did get the lift up (and down) at 3 for Diable au coeur happy hour Laughing

@davidof, and ballerinas and their pensions Laughing
snow conditions
Ski areas are generally heavily subsidised by the state/local governments anyway as they bring people with money to the area thus enabling local employment in many differing sectors, thus allowing communities to continue. Don’t forget this is France where they tend to look at the overall benefits rather than just looking at the bottom line!
ski holidays
Pumba wrote:
Ski areas are generally heavily subsidised by the state/local governments anyway as they bring people with money to the area thus enabling local employment in many differing sectors, thus allowing communities to continue. Don’t forget this is France where they tend to look at the overall benefits rather than just looking at the bottom line!

*burps*

France is THE most wonderful country on the planet ……………… sadly inhabited by the French.

Shocked
ski holidays
I’m assuming you don’t have the good fortune to live here amongst them then, otherwise your opinion would be vastly different
latest report
Pumba wrote:

Most French ski areas run at a profit, or go bust.
snow conditions
Pumba wrote:
I’m assuming you don’t have the good fortune to live here amongst them then, otherwise your opinion would be vastly different

He's probably never spoken to a french person, in french at least. I've met a few rude ones over the years but plenty of likeable ones too. We're not short of ignorant & rude types in the UK either.
snow report
Schnorrr wrote:
We're not short of ignorant & rude types in the UK either.
Sadly us humans seem to be on a worldwide competition on that front - on the plus side it's an even distribution unrelated to the nationality. Égalité!
snow report
Is there another strike scheduled? I’m heading to La Clusaz in the 28th Feb - 1st March.
latest report
Informed info here is of a strike next Monday morning.
snow report
https://www.ledauphine.com/social/2020/02/15/montagne-greve-dans-les-stations-de-ski-le-mouvemement-reconduit-le-24-fevrier

Monday again.
snow report
@Claude B, looks like it has become a weekly event.
latest report
Doesn't look as if it has gone ahead today. Lifts are running and the app is showing everything running. I'll find out a little later when I venture out.

It would have been extremely unpopular. We're absolutely rammed with mostly french families and the weather is due to close in after today.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I love reading the myopic comments about the French. They never cease to make me smile at their utter ignorance and obliviousness to what England is actually like
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy