Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

how long on the Mountain?

Poster: A snowHead
Ravelin wrote:
I'd ski first lift to last lift if I could. Just doesn't happen though cos I usually wait for the wife to get ready and come with us, and she's 'on holiday'. It'd probably be better for our relationship for me just to go, then meet up on the slopes cos I'm usually like an bored kid i.e "Are you ready yet?...Are you ready yet?...Are you ready yet?...".

I genuinely couldn't ski with someone like that. Occasionally stay somewhere in the UK with a group like that and it drives me mad, usually there's a huge debate on what clothes to wear, how much food to take, how long we'll be gone, what shoes to wear, where we'll have lunch. Once answers have been achieved for all of that then someone decides that they're hungry again and has another breakfast....it's a miracle I haven't snapped!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
I genuinely couldn't ski with someone like that. Occasionally stay somewhere in the UK with a group like that and it drives me mad, usually there's a huge debate on what clothes to wear, how much food to take, how long we'll be gone, what shoes to wear, where we'll have lunch. Once answers have been achieved for all of that then someone decides that they're hungry again and has another breakfast....it's a miracle I haven't snapped!!

She's not that bad, just not as keen as I am to get going. I don't think we've ever hit our first lift after 10am, nearly always before by 9:30. It's just that if I had my way I'd be stood at the lift saying "Is it open yet?....Is it open yet?....Is it open yet?....".
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Ravelin, ah, that's not so bad, could just about cope with that.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm very much a first lift person, and the joy of skiing with no one else around. Wake up at 7:30, go out to buy croissants while others prepare coffee, set the table, etc. Then on the slopes for the first lift up the mountain. Stop just after 12 for a reasonably leisurely lunch (I am French after all Toofy Grin) and then ski until either I'm too tired or the lifts close. I only get one week per year so do try to ski as much as possible (so no coffee breaks or anything, surely that's what chairlifts are for? Twisted Evil).

I used to ski with some friends with arguments most days between those who wanted to get out for the first lifts, and those who preferred a more leisurely approach to the early morning, but now ski mostly with people who share my enthusiasm Very Happy.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@letsgetpiste,

https://www.amazon.com/hydration-packs/b?ie=UTF8&node=3400551&tag=amz07b-21

Notice they are called Hydration Packs - in my understanding not only water, but they fit for wine as well. Toofy Grin

May be you can get a double one, one for wine and one for liqute food - that should help your problem with limited skiingtime. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
0930-1000 head for the lift
1130 stop for hot chocolate
1300 stop for lunch
1530 stop for beer at bottom of mountain
1730 back to room
1830 - 1900 dinner
2100 - 2330 red wine

Meniscus permitting...!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Start as early as possible.
Fit in a vin chaud/hot chocolate/coffee around 11.
Lunch by 1230.
Another rehydration stop around 2.30-3.00
Finish whenever the *!*! I want to.
Couple of glasses of apres, preferably out of ski boots but flexible on that one.
Attempt optimal dinner:wine consumption ratio
Bed by 10.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

no coffee breaks or anything, surely that's what chairlifts are for? Twisted Evil

I reckon there is a great business idea out there. How about a Ski through coffee bar at the bottom of long chairs. Order in the lift line and collect your coffee just after boarding. There would need to be a cup drop at the top of course.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Col the Yeti wrote:
Quote:

no coffee breaks or anything, surely that's what chairlifts are for? Twisted Evil

I reckon there is a great business idea out there. How about a Ski through coffee bar at the bottom of long chairs. Order in the lift line and collect your coffee just after boarding. There would need to be a cup drop at the top of course.

Or just do what many smokers do as they probably decompose at the same rate - the cups that is not the smokers - actually thinking about it...... Toofy Grin Skullie
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fartbag that is a fantastic story. I can bet though the walking up the black wasnt as much fun at the time. Laughing . I just get one of the first lifts up, and then ski till I am thirsty or hungry , take a short break then keep going maybe have a beer break later in the day, then wait till the patrol is out. Last year in cervina we were put out of a restaurant by the guy with the piste basher, lol, Our son though it was hilarious speeding down a newly bashed black it was indeed lovely on tired legs
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
biddpyat wrote:
Fartbag that is a fantastic story. I can bet though the walking up the black wasnt as much fun at the time. Laughing .

It was effing knackering....character building, you might say.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Mjit, I think I might actually be you Puzzled

Sounds just like my hols
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Letsgetpiste.... Yes, yes, yes, but you missed the hot chocolate with rhum 😝
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am not usually a first to last man but have had some epic days along the way.

Skiing all day in Riksgransen then getting up the hill for midnight skiing later on. Makes partying until dawn a bit easier what with night being about 10 mins long in late May.

Leaving relies house in Fife at 0630 to drive to Glencoe to catch first lifts about 0900 on a powder day after a storm blew through. Decend at 1430 having grabbed a 15 min break for a bacon butty then driving home to Cornwall stopping off at Tebay for refreshments. Awesome having the pisteys trying to build the pistes around you as you hoon around the mountain.

That said, I'll often buy a La Plagne four hour pass and drag every last second out of it. Nice to do it across lunch when its quiet. Often suffer ground rush as the end approaches and i'm still in Bellecote and the car is at the Roche lift. 4 hours straight is normally enough these days and I suspect few actually ski that long in a full day given the numbers I see hanging around doing jack all day.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hyst wrote:
Hydration Packs

Ah, tried those but the Macallan dissolved the seals. snowHead
latest report
@mcspreader, Laughing
snow conditions
Hmm this thread is ripe for the brag, the humble brag, the lazy brag and the non- conformist brag.

Me, I pound it all day bell to bell, when I'm not lying in bed all day and crushing a lap pre long liquid lunch before ski to apres.

Actually it's all contextual if conditions or crowds warrant it you should use a strategy to deal. If everything's ho- hum or you're just off your game why stress about milking every last second.

You can usually get more mileage skiing 4 hours solo than all day in all but the tightest crew. But who wants to ski solo all the time?
snow conditions
My problem would be looking at the mountain though and thinking I was missing something. Laughing. If we are having a lazy day I just spend some longer breaks in the mountain , and doing doddle type runs, I think it's the quiet I like with the early and late. The large amounts of folks doing apres ski at about 3 are the reason I thought most people called it a day then. I would imagine in resorts with active night life and party clubs , there would be less to get the first lifts, . I suppose too the fact that to get skiing for us is weeks anticipation, for a week, in January and perhaps one or two weekends later in spring if we are lucky. The thought of not skiing and sitting in a wellness center would drive me batty. If I was closer perhaps I would get to enjoy the relaxing part of the trip more. I usually come home wrecked after a week on the slopes.
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes, I seem to remember a "2 minute warning" that was actually about 30 seconds! Good job I can ski and get dressed at the same time Laughing and there was that time when we made it to the lift and crew member no.3 was not so lucky rolling eyes

The idea of rest days doesn't compute, especially when there's weather. If it's sunny, I'll be skiing, if it's snowing, I'll be skiing fresh snow. Actually, I've had a couple of post 10am starts this year, but my excuse was a virus coupled with my equally sick buddy having limited motivation to get going.

Had a couple of close calls in the past where half the group has sacked it off mid afternoon, only for the rest of us to have "one more run" that turned into an epic tour of the mountain, but I've not had to walk home yet!
snow report
What if you wake up next to an extremely shaggable person and then realise that fresh powder has made everything quiet. Do you look out of the window or dive back under the covers Puzzled
snow report
@Scarpa, can't remember... Sad wink
snow conditions
mcspreader wrote:
Hyst wrote:
Hydration Packs

Ah, tried those but the Macallan dissolved the seals. snowHead

Might be a problem of to high % only Skullie
Try Mounton Rothschild instead. wink
ski holidays
letsgetpiste wrote:
07:00 - 07:30 - rise / eggs / coffee
07:30 - 08:15 - wash / dress / etc...
08:15 - 09:00 - sort out kit / leave apartment / first lift
09:00 - 12:00 - ski / wine / ski / wine / ski / wine
12:00 - 12:30 - food / wine / food / wine
12:30 - 16:30 - ski / wine / ski / wine / ski / wine
16:30 - 20:00 - food / wine / food / wine
20:00 - 07:00 - wine induced coma

Rinse / Repeat

I like that one Laughing Laughing
latest report
@Old Fartbag, had a very similar tale. Except we were trying to get from Meribel to Le Praz in the Courcheval valley. Fortunately it was late season and it stayed light as we walked up the pic noir piste. To make matters worse I hadn't taken enough water and become dehydrated. It was a wonderful ski down even though I was away with the fairies. We had no pisteur chaperone but I did see a helicopter hovering at one point!
latest report
biddpyat, I used to dash out for the first lift after a rushed breakfast and ski to the very end of the day,
But then realised i had made the ski "holiday" much like work: alarm, get up, dash to commuter train (chairlift), ski/work all day - desperate to get all the runs in, and collapse in the evening.
Bonkers.
Now i'm much more relaxed. And enjoy it all much more.

P.S. Apologies if my post seems a bit out of sinc, but i thought davidof's first post, with its long gap, was the end of the thread rolling eyes
snow report
Layne wrote:
@Old Fartbag, had a very similar tale. Except we were trying to get from Meribel to Le Praz in the Courcheval valley. Fortunately it was late season and it stayed light as we walked up the pic noir piste. To make matters worse I hadn't taken enough water and become dehydrated. It was a wonderful ski down even though I was away with the fairies. We had no pisteur chaperone but I did see a helicopter hovering at one point!

We should form a Club....there's probably a few of us out there. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
07:00 - 07:30 - zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
07:30 - 08:15 - zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
08:15 - 09:00 - reach over to check Snow Bunny still there and 'gently awaken her'
09:00 - 12:00 - breakfast / massage / brunch / massage
12:00 - 12:30 - 1st lift (of the afternoon)
12:30 - 16:30 - lunch
16:30 - 20:00 - apres / sauna
20:00 - 07:00 - dinner and games
ski holidays
Scarpa wrote:
What if you wake up next to an extremely shaggable person and then realise that fresh powder has made everything quiet. Do you look out of the window or dive back under the covers Puzzled

Seems a reasonable excuse to miss the first lift by 5min.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Hyst, Toofy Grin

@mcspreader, the Macallan will be perfectly safe in your "emergency" hip flask!!

@Scarpa, never allow the "shagability" of your current bed partner to interfere with a powder day!

I think the biggest thing for me is spending as much time outside and on the mountain as possible. I dont get many weeks each year... normally two at the most.
I'm young enough to know that it's still possible that I will be able to relocate to somewhere more suited to my taste in wine and precipitation. Hopefully before I'm too old to enjoy it!
Until then, I will enjoy my skiing trips as much as possible!! snowHead
latest report
adithorp wrote:
Scarpa wrote:

Seems a reasonable excuse to miss the first lift by 5min.

5 minutes max.
snow report
@davidof, You shattered my illusions. I thought you skined up predawn, did a couple runs before the snow softened and waited for the pistuers to tell them what the conditions were like.
snow report
Quote:
I think the biggest thing for me is spending as much time outside and on the mountain as possible. I dont get many weeks each year... normally two at the most.

This is me. TBH, even at 3 or 4 weeks I would have the same attitude. Any more than that I'd probably start to be a bit more chilled about it. The missus and the kids don't quite have the same attitude and getting them up and out in the morning is a challenge. My lad will usually stick it out until the last lift though. I actually love getting back late and tired, seeing all these lazy feckers apres ing. The only worry is making sure there are new screw ups - route finding, injuries et al.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 4-11-16 15:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Hate getting up early. Whether it was a weeks holiday or a season I'm rarely on the mountain before half ten. Lunch break for an hour at 12.30 and finish around 3.30. Out every night for beers until at least 1am.
snow report
Layne wrote:
The only worry is making sure there are new screw ups - route finding, injuries et al.

I never worry about finding new screw-ups. They tend to find me without any effort on my partc Very Happy
ski holidays
@letsgetpiste, I like your timetable...classic, but you missed out Beer as well!! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Scarlet wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, I seem to remember a "2 minute warning" that was actually about 30 seconds! Good job I can ski and get dressed at the same time Laughing and there was that time when we made it to the lift and crew member no.3 was not so lucky rolling eyes
!

To be fair 2 minute drill was implemented about 9.50am. As to the other point I've learnt never to rely on @midgetbiker's inherent (lack of a) sense of direction. To be honest I'm surprised he can find Yorkshire when he drives home.
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes, I wasn't referring to him, but I know what you mean - only a few weeks ago he was telling me a story of how he got lost on the M40...

Bummocks was it 9.50 though, I'd been hanging out in the car park since 8.45, waiting for the cool kids/lazy barstewards who weren't out of bed yet!
latest report
It's a holiday, not a job!

Some people likes to bet up early. They go to the lift early. Others, a little later.

I like to chase the best snow condition. End of the day is never it. The snow tend to be either badly chopped up, or scraped down to ice. So I tend to quit relatively early, say 3:30 or 4. Unless it's spring time and the west facing slope has only soften around 3, then I ski till the lift closes.

As for morning, I'm not a morning person. So unless there's fresh new snow, I don't bother start exactly when the lift starts. Maybe 9:30, or maybe really late if the surface needs time to soften.

I don't bother trying to maximize my time on slope. I only maximize my enjoyment while on the slope. Sometimes, the two are contradictory. I make sure I focus on the latter.
snow report
Quote:
It's a holiday, not a job!

Yeah but it's a skiing holiday. I can see drinking tea staring out the window at home, I can catch up on my sleep next week. I want to ski!

Quote:
I like to chase the best snow condition. End of the day is never it. The snow tend to be either badly chopped up, or scraped down to ice.

I have had some great, even epic, end of day runs.

Quote:
I don't bother trying to maximize my time on slope. I only maximize my enjoyment while on the slope. Sometimes, the two are contradictory.

Almost anytime on the slope is enjoyable for me. Some of the worst weather can kill it. And if I know it's real shitty before when I get up I might chill and it's only getting worse latter in the afternoon I might call it a day. But we are talking really awful.
snow report
Quote:

And if I know it's real shitty before when I get up I might chill and it's only getting worse latter in the afternoon I might call it a day.

Most of the time, I do know.

Ski enough in the same place, one gets to know exactly the kind of weather and skier traffic will do to the snow.

Quote:
But we are talking really awful.

I confess I ski enough that I do get jaded. There're a lot of condition when I thought "that's awful" that probably isn't exactly that "awful".
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy