Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help Understanding 'Ski Routes'

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Gored wrote:
I thought broken lines runs are open but not patrolled or prepared.

Worth re-reading the thread, and others, but basically they vary from one resort to another, both in pistemap markings (some mark then as yellow runs, as opposed to blue, red or back, some as dotted, some both) and exactly whet they mean in any give place.

There are certainly some where a level of signing is provided, some where they will be swept by the ski-patrol at the end of the day, some where a level of avalanche safety is performed. But fundamentally it's down to the individual or group leader to establish exactly what they mean in any given situation.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@mozwold, Its not quite as simple as that. Madloch is pretty much a piste (likely to be changed to such in the not too distant future) basically an old fashioned version relying on natural snow and is (mostly) groomed and secured, generally a pleasure to ski. A number other of the ski routes are similar (generally those marked in red) such as those from Rüfikopf to the Schüttboden lift. However that is not true is all cases, those routes marked in black are generally not groomed (an exception being Langerzug) and are often steep & difficult mogul fields eg Furkawang or Tanegg. Many of the routes are marked by a single line of poles and they are only secured in the area around the poles but it is often very difficult to discern where the line of poles are, in what is a wide snow field criss crossed with multiple ski tracks eg the Mattun bowl (both routes marked black though Mattun is not too difficult though long, Mattunjoch more difficult) or Arlbergpassroute (marked in red though I think similar in difficulty to Mattun). A video of someone skiing the Arlbergpassroute below

http://youtube.com/v/5sBl8soQyTQ

Personally I think this is as clear as mud and potentially an issue for those who dont know the area but others seems think differently! However if you are concerned about avalanche risk then it is generally possible to stick to the main route and be confident that the area has been checked by the ski patrol. It certainly works as a way to ski "off piste" of sorts without having to have avi kit etc though be careful to keep to the track (not so easy in poor weather).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I like the way things are different in different places. That's why I travel.

In North America it's mostly homogenous: you're either in the ski area and it's patrolled & controlled, or you're outside of it and it's not. Even so, sometimes "inside" has other limitations - eg Delirium Dive or Kachina in Taos before they built the lift up it. I like variety. I like the idea that you have to read the instructions, that you're not guaranteed to have a nice day. It's... not Disney Land.

In Europe.. well these used to be pistes:
  • Zermatt's Triftji - now a "freeriding piste", a term which the online PDF of their piste map uses but doesn't define further.
    So you have to either take your chances, or ask the staff precisely what that means.
    Don't even think about asking your insurer if a "freeriding piste" is "off piste". Ha ha ha ha.
    I think having to ask does not put anyone remotely sane at risk, although if it was me I'd write it on the map anyway.

• In Verbier all the runs down to Tortin are now defined as: "Ski route: Marked, not maintained, not controlled".
    I reckon that requires no further description.

I don't know why they changed those or any of the other stuff - the GSG whined about it as noted decades ago.
Me, I never had a problem how a resort manages their patrol, which I think is mostly what this is about.

9 years ago wrote:
... what I am not so clear about are ski routes...
It depends. Read the manual. If that doesn't make it clear, ask a patroller.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@mozwold, Both Madloch routes (to Zug and to Lech) are groomed when open. They often remain closed for a day after heavy snowfall, and are also often closed in early season (including Christmas), due to lack of snow, or rather, the rocky ground needing a lot of snow
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@munich_irish,

Thanks, that was helpful.

Actually just found this on the website in the section on Mohnenfluh - font was so small I had to enlarge to 200% lol.

Skirouten sind markiert und nur vor Lawinengefahren gesichert,
nicht oder nur fallweise präpariert und nicht kontrolliert.
Ski routes are signed and only secured against the risk of avalanches;
they are not, or not all, prepared and are not checked.

I won't be skiing solo so would hope that the un-patrolled aspect will be moot, and I'm aware of my limitations as a skier so won't be sampling the delights of the Tanegg! However it's good to know that the Madloch and others have some mitigation against avalanche.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Langerzug, Cheers
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
As it seems that the only way back from Zurs to Lech on skis is the Madloch 173 skiroute?

Correct.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy