Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good off piste can be found anywhere

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
And another way to get local knowledge, though only works if you've joined Club Alpine Francais, I went out with my local club (Briancon) today on quite a big tour (well knackered), and now have another tour and sector to call upon, and no payment of a guide needed Cool
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I would wager you some considerable beer that I could find some nice stuff to play in in the PDS in exactly that position.

I don't doubt it for a moment - it's a massive area. Same would be true in EK or TV wouldn't it? It's just when you are not fighting for the dwindling untracked lines anymore then I'd say the grandeur of Chamonix has quite a lot going for it!

I seem to remember a thread recently about where, near Geneva, you were most likely to find untracked lift-served terrain a few days after a dump. Consensus was Les Contamines.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jedster, Les Contamines has a bit of a rep, yes...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
under a new name, i agree with your points that most places have good off-piste, i would throw in a couple of caveats

1. Earn your turns, it is amazing how much of the mountain opens up to you if you skin or boot-pack even for a few minutes.

2. Local knowledge goes a long way.

I would also add that in my opinion good off piste skiing is the ablity to ski the crap well to get to the good stuff.

So my hidden gem of off-piste skiing is Kartalkaya in Turkey, whilst it is no La Grave, fresh lines still to be had a week after a snow fall and the lack of mositure in the air means the powder stays light and fresh, not that steep though.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And another ruse to get the most out of a resort.

This afternoon I drove my van 40km around to another valley that from here we can go off the back and drop down into, now the hassle is always a how to get back from said valley, and at this time of year the snow line is such that if you were going to get the bus back from the village it's nigh on a 5km hike to it.

However as afternoon temps are in the mid 20's I put the bike in the van, parked up where the road was closed and cycled back, not that I need more exercise rolling eyes

Now the only issue is that as forecast we have more cloud, forecast is for it to clear tonight so we should get an overnight freeze, so just have to wait and see, if not I'll leave the van there till Sunday Confused

Twas amusing this morning as we were going off the back as we had three Scandi Avalanche Poodles who were about to follow us, not knowing that where we were going you have to skin back up, as we started down I met two guys skinning up so we had a chat, and that's when the Scandi's must have put 2 and 2 together and turned back Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy