Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who are the best piste-bashers?

Poster: A snowHead
Having said this, there are two red runs in Soldeu area that are pisted flat and are frequently deserted so you can carve them flat out from top to bottom
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Although I always thought it would be good to know which pistes were freshly groomed that morning - at least that would give people the choice (especially as a newbie it's nice to relax on a nicely groomed run)

You get a piste report in Vail which tells you which runs have been posted. As of the last couple of years the 3valleys app you can do exactly that, as in see which runs have been pisted.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 4-12-13 21:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ansta1 wrote:
Quote:

Although I always thought it would be good to know which pistes were freshly groomed that morning - at least that would give people the choice (especially as a newbie it's nice to relax on a nicely groomed run)

You get a piste report in Val which tells you which runs have been posted. As of the last couple of years the 3valleys app you can do exactly that, as in see which runs have been pisted.

Awesome! Thanks for that - I'm back in VT in March, so that will come in really handy! Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry spell check fail. Piste report was Vail bit the 3 valleys app still is correct.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nevis1003 wrote:
My fellow Scots are the only piste bashers who can simulate unpisted snow after piste bashing.

To be fair though, they don't practice very much.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
And don't forget the home grown piste bashing Laughing
http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/displaypic.php?id=24545,3342#start
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Fench being a largely agricultural nation like to use the plough and furrow technique and then knock off early for a pastis. The USA compensate for their dreadful roads (rougher than a French piste) by producing perfect corduroy (they call it grooming!). My preferred option is to stay off the piste!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

The French and especially the Swiss (in Verbier they leave one connecting run completely natural) are by far the best in that they leave much more of the piste alone.

I don't think you can generalise that way - certainly not about France. In our area almost all pistes are groomed every night (though when snow goes on late into the morning they will obviously be fresh snow on top Little Angel Little Angel ). A few blacks will be left ungroomed (with a notice to indicate that) for a few days. But they never groom open slopes during the day and any piste with a basher on it for any reason will be closed.

But in Les2Alpes this last week the lack of grooming on many slopes, even blue ones, was noticeable - completely different approach.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Only people who skin up the mountains have a right to be self-righteous about enjoying the "natural" snow and look down on those who enjoy corduroy. wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Spyderman wrote:
Italians by far are the best in Europe
this ime.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
But they never groom open slopes during the day and any piste with a basher on it for any reason will be closed.

I think that may be unique to France (at least within Europe).

I certainly came across a piste basher in operation during the day on my one trip to Switzerland (Verbier), and on my one trip to the Dolomites.

And I have seen them working on almost every trip to Austria. I don't remember seeing any in Andorra, but that was a long time ago, I may just have not remembered.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
"I Love Mayrhofen".

I'm intrigued as to how your lost your skis at the top of Red 16 and let anybody go off with them ??????
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It doesn't matter how well the pistes are groomed, when it's busy the best groomed slopes will get chopped by traffic by afternoon. Then it's interesting in terms of watching people stuck on piles of snow even that the same morning they believed they could ski.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I haven't scanned the thread... but have a look here:

http://www.skiareatest.com/

A nice bias towards Austria but includes Italy and a few other countries in Eastern Europe.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
AJQ Yeah. At that particular moment I just didn't care if I never saw my skis again! The stranger was trying to be helpful by taking my skis to the bottom of the slope that I decided I would walk down. (Their friend had just snowboarded into the back of me after I had fallen over. It was the last straw, although my fault for lying there in despair, rather than getting out of the way). Presumably they handed them in at a lift and told someone we would need rescuing, we but had no idea what was going on at the time. The best bit was when "always look on the bright side of life" came on the Pistie's radio!
ski holidays
Ok, that would explain it. Hope you weren't too badly injured ?
latest report
never summer wrote:
It doesn't matter how well the pistes are groomed, when it's busy the best groomed slopes will get chopped by traffic by afternoon. Then it's interesting in terms of watching people stuck on piles of snow even that the same morning they believed they could ski.

Very true! Most of the runs in VT are bashed every other night - however,the Plein Sud run gets bashed every night and is still as choppy as anything by the end of the day as it's the main route into VT from the other valleys, and gets a lot of (drunken) traffic from the folie douce.
latest report
This will be one of the very few positive comments that'll come from me regarding Bansko. wink I've seen some very impressive Pisten Bully driving out there. Happy
ski holidays
I'd actually put my money on the Norwegians. Of course, they generally have the benefit of cold climate which helps keep the pistes excellent. Excellent conditions even in late afternoon is rarely found in the Alpes.
snow conditions
[quote="in garbure we trust"]Well there is a guy from a tiny ski resort down the road from us (Hautacam), who has won best dameur in France three times in a row..; Yes there actually is a pisting competition every year! http://www.ladepeche.fr/article/2013/03/31/1595464-sebastien-ramon-decroche-3e-titre-champion-france-dameurs.html And as for French vs the rest, they have to being good at covering up and making things look better than they really are, just ask Hollande.[/quote

http://www.ladepeche.fr/diaporama/les-candidates-a-miss-univers-2013-deshabillees-pour-l-hiver/1435462-grande-bretagne.html

I quite enjoyed the article, but enjoyed the underwear review and the Miss Universe pictures much more.
snow report
Masque, +1

In terms of the most welcome corded piste I have ever found, it was through the snow-park above Arc 1850. We had spent the week dancing on ice a few years ago during a season where nothing had fallen for quite a number of weeks and it was getting harder and harder and bluer and bluer in places (most of them just where you didn't want it). The kids liked going through the snow park and they obviously had some banked up snow up there. We got up there and were the very first through it one morning - us grown-ups skied through on the slope and the kids did the small obstacles. The sheer luxury of a soft corded base that week just had to be experienced to be believed. I'm no fan of T bars, but we dropped straight onto it and skied through the park another two times, before the masses arrived. Never have I found such unadulterated bliss in skiing 200yds of corduroy!! Laughing

Mind you, at my stage in skiing, I'd be happy to ski a resort that groomed every slope so I didn't have to worry about finding something left in an un-skiable (for me) state. VT is a little naughty about that - I have to watch the signs as what is good one day isn't necessary good to ski the next where sometimes they leave it un-groomed.
latest report
AJQ Was fine, cheers for asking. Most damage was done to my pride and fledgling skiing confidence! Was a while ago now and I have conquered the run a few times since. (though only in fair weather and with fresh legs!)
snow report
pam w wrote:
But they never groom open slopes during the day and any piste with a basher on it for any reason will be closed.

I've skied with bashers around in France at both Les Carroz and Orcieres
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:

VT is a little naughty about that - I have to watch the signs as what is good one day isn't necessary good to ski the next where sometimes they leave it un-groomed.

Completely agree, the 3 Vallees app was a huge discovery for me (can't remember which kind soul on here told me about it). Knowing the night before which runs in VT will be nicely groomed the next day makes planning your runs so much easier!
snow report
Handy Turnip, Portette, Rhodos and Fond being cases in point. You often find one or sometimes 2 out 3 of them un-groomed and they do get quite a selection of bumps in places on the second day. Luckily if it's not foggy you can usually see all three from a suitable place to plan a root on the hoof so to speak.
latest report
Spot on Megamum, you're completely right. I've just had a quick look at the app - and Fond and Rhodes are being bashed overnight and Portette is being left ungroomed.

It caught me out last year - Portette was my first ever red run, which I managed okay albeit very slowly. It was a shock trying it the next day when it was a lot choppier!!
snow conditions
Handy Turnip, The top section of Portette is a stiff red for your first one Shocked , there were easier choices on the hill as you now probably know - Christine is always a good choice for a first red run - nice cruise-y red. If you haven't yet skied them look out for Lac Blanc of the top of Furnitel peclet (which I think they tend to groom fairly regularly, but which is a bit of a picnic in a gale) and Col (above portette) if its windy. Col gets bumpy and I sometime think they don't groom it, but I was very pleased to finally ski it last season - 3 times when they had been up and bashed it and in good weather it was a fair run down, a good red, red and it surprised me what a fair run down it was - a good view too - worth the trip up if you haven't done it yet, but don't go up in a gale. (Sorry VT is my fave place)
ski holidays
Cheers Megamum, in hindsight Portette wasn't the best choice (I knew no better at the time!) - at least when the steep bit is out of the way it's not too bad.

I saw one of your other posts on easy red runs in VT and was taking notes!! I didn't do Christine last time so that's definitely top of my list. If I remember rightly, I think you mentioned that Rhodos is not too bad and Col d'audzin is okay too?

I love VT too - I'm going back twice this year!! Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lucky you! Rhodos can be easier than Fond as it is the red against the blue and the masses tend to take the marked blue out of preference, consequently Rhodos can stay in better condition for longer in the afternoon. It's a long slog down, but it is wide and the slope is constant, Fond is not much different it is red blue, the slope is v. similar to Rhodos, but it gets hammered earlier. The Col d'audzin is a doddle apart from one 150yd stretch in the middle where it narrows and goes around a tight bend at that point, and it's obviously when you are just above it, I'd stop on the RH side as you look down the hill on an obvious 'stop here and take look' location, and just take a breather as there isn't any easy stopping until you are past it. It's quite skiable, but it is the blacker red part of the run - Oh, and I wouldn't recommend it in bad viz (take that under advice - I once did it in the worst conditions viz. wise that I've ever skied in and never been quite so scared). What I haven't tried yet is falaise, chamois, and variante - I think these three are reputed to be steeper, I think I tried medaille last season and that was OK IIRC.
ski holidays
Thanks Megamum, maybe I'll save Col d'audzin for later in the week!

Ironically, I also did falaise when I was there (I know, I really didn't think through my choice of reds! I blame my brother!Smile ) and I'm still having nightmare's about it! It is steeper but it's also quite narrow for a long part of it. Also the conditions weren't good at all when I did it - but I did it slowly and got down without falling, so I'm counting that as success! I won't be doing it again in a hurry though!
snow conditions
Quote:

Excellent conditions even in late afternoon is rarely found in the Alpes.

You need to know where, and when, to go. Then no problem at all!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy