Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2013/2014 (Post Season 50cm New Snow :-)

Poster: A snowHead
I don't get that, why? If I wanted to cycle down the road from Alpe Raus to Stuben I can do it just as quick on my MTB?? Strange.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 3-09-13 15:15; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

http://youtube.com/v/qGc2itDalGQ
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I do not understand why this lift was given priority for replacement. It really only gets a queue when Steissbachtal is closed. Would have been better to replace Albona 1, Riffel 1, or Schindlergratbahn first.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ulmerhutte,

This is more a Safety Issue.

In recent seasons Steisbachtal is closed more often because of the increased Avalanche danger.

The south facing Schindler & Matun slopes are not freezing & holding the snow as in the past so slides are more common.

When they close Steißbachtal there is only 1 other piste (Kandahar), the Itinery red route 3 (Osthang) or its Off Piste down through the trees.

To avoid the skidown you can ascend using the old steep Tanzboden T bar & then descend by the Funitel lift (Galzigbahn)

Beginners or Average skiers struggle with the black Kandahar piste which can be carnage at the end of the day with very tired legs. Even more so with Moguls on Itinery 3 Osthang.

The old Steep T bar cannot cope with "end of the day crowds" coming back from Stuben, Lech & Zurs. They are constantly losing it of the T Bar lift & then having to stuglle skiing down some steep off piste to get to the bottom of the lift again.

Usually this lift is very quiet but when Steißbachatal is closed it is a different story.

Recent seasons the lift was struggling at the end of the day with the numbers

The new lift will give folk an easy way out to descend to town in comfort.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Will they do any earthworks on the traverse to get to the new Tanzboden? When Steißbachatal is closed the traverse gets busy and is pretty hard work for unfit folks, I wonder I they'll modify the gradient a bit?

A lot of people complain about the "home run" from Galzig, and I think something had to be done to ease the carnage. As stanton says, Steißbachatal closes more often these days so it was only going to get worse. I'd rather see a new lift go in than some massive piste get built somehow. I'm not even sure where a piste would go - maybe the old run from the St Christophe side could be used but that would be south facing too so would probably close when Steißbachatal closes.

I also agree with ulmerhutte though, the Schindlergratbahn really needs upgrading. It's not just capacity but reliability, it seems to break down a lot these days.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I do not believe any cattrack regrading will be done.

Apart from the Major Expansion Projects Rendl/Kappl (ProjektDias), Alpe Rauz/Albona/Trittkopf in the planning.

Existing upgades & relines are in planning.

Schindlegratbahn is over 30 yrs old. rumour is 6 man bubble chair.
Feldherrenhügelbahn 8 man bubble chair to replace Zammermoosbahn.
Schongrabben T Bar replace with Chairlift.
Upgrade Gampenbahn 8 man bubble chair.
Mattunbahn upgrade.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Interesting insights, sah and stanton. Thanks.

I guess I have never been bothered by Steissbachtal being closed. Depending on the situation, I usually just traverse Bachseite until it is safe to drop down. Not an option for many (thank god!).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I suspect there might be some work piste wise, some friends of mine working in Lech this summer have picked up a piste map for the coming season which shows not just the Warth area but Sonnenkopf too, and also shows a new piste to the bottom of the new Tanzboden from what they've said. Not seen it in enough detail yet myself (just a fuzzy pic) so not sure if it's just the itinerary being made a proper piste or more regrading work, I'm not too sure.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Going out in 2 weeks will have a reccy and post photos
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Folks, some realty opportunities in St Anton...

http://immo.tt.com/Tirol/Landeck/?area=Sankt%20Anton%20am%20Arlberg

http://www.immmo.at/immo/Immobilie/Tirol/Landeck/6580-St-Anton-am-Arlberg
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hey guys thinking of upgrading from Montefon to the Arlberg next winter, thought i would find out who'll be about and might up for dragging my unfit ass off on some downhill-type tours!

Last season scored 4 day weeks (hopefully again) so would be free fri-sun... and can get down most stuff without crying (exposed peaks might be a different matter)

Matt
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stanton, some nice pads on there. If only I had a few spare €million Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sad to see the Rendlerhof up for sale, stayed there many times. I knew that the owners had sublet it to the Arlberg for a while. I hope it stays as a traditional style upmarket hotel and does not get bought by someone who is gung-ho for "boutique chic" and designer God knows what style . rolling eyes Sadly though almost certainly will go that way.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Samerberg Sue,

Years ago there used to be a restaurant on the ground floor of the Rendlhof.

Problem is the Hotels are strugling to compete with the increasing use of DIY apartments & All in Chalets used by the Brits, Scandinavian & even the Dutch

Many Hotels have not modernised to keep up & over price themselves when customers have the option to choose one of the brand new or revamped 4 or 5 Star Hotels.

A lot are bankrupt.

I can see many more being put up for sale!

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 13-08-13 9:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Yes, real shame about the Rendlhof, it was getting a bit run down and needed some investment but it was a nice place and the owners were the friendliest people I've met in St Anton.

I suspect it will become one of the new "chic" style places, if only because that's the only way to make it pay. From an investment point of view it's probably better to spend a lot up-front and get wealthy Russian guests paying big money than to try and run it as a decent 3* B&B
snow conditions
Folks. As you know Warth will connected to Lech this season with the AuenfeldJet (Gondola/chair)

Another new 8 man Gondola has been approved over there in Bregenzwald to connect Schrocken village directly to the Warth Ski Area (Körbersee) . Likely to be built summer 2014.

Warth Schröcken Piste Map

http://www.sisag.ch/download/sismap_warth_web/SisMap.html
latest report

http://youtube.com/v/wic8jXGGuY0
latest report
Mixed news for drivers to Arlberg - Pfander tunnel fully open when drove up today, both ways (near Bregenz) has been a big backlog for last 4-5 years, now queues in winter at German/ Vorarlberg border should be minimised. Also the suspension bridge over Inn is fully open on A96 north of Bregenz. Bad news though, tunnel works started on A96 just north of Bregenz - looks like that'll be a real bottleneck next winter, due to complete end 2014.....down to one lane each way, main route in from Germany and all places north.
snow conditions
EXCELLENT!!! was worried Bludenz/montafon was going to be a disaster zone, that'll slow the germans a bit!!
ski holidays
stanton, BRILLIANT............... and you park up at the SportHotel Arlberg, perfect for afternoon tea!

Can you do that on the piste from Alpe Rauz down to Stuben?
latest report
All very well replacing Tanzboden....But let's hope they remember to put in some signs telling beginner skiers that they can download on Galzig otherwise they will still end up on Kandahar. However they could have moved the lift altogether, the schuss into the rat track is practically impossible for snowboarders and the track is not much better for any beginners, somewhere near the bottom of Schindler would have been better. Also I hope they never replace Schindler, love that rickety old chair and the views on the way up, sat in a bubble or covered chair just would not be the same.
snow report
Markymark29, I can check on that if you want - just let me know the name of the tunnel and I'll find out.

Don't despair too much as the authorities make it look as if there are going to be major long term roadworks and poof, just in time for the winter season they are finished! The A93 Rosenheim - Kufstein is a classic example - last summer they ripped up about 10 or more kilometres of it, right back to pay dirt as well as taking out several small bridges on the north bound carriage. All the traffic was on contraflow on the southbound side and regularly backed up in both directions. By the beginning of the ski season both sides were open and no real problems. They are doing another 10+ kms this summer further up towards Rosenheim this summer which has included closing my exit slip Evil or Very Mad But it should be all back n use by the end of October beginning of November.

There is a huge amount of maintenance being carried out on motorway bridges all over Germany right now - not sure of the exact ins and outs of it but it is a wee bit of a scandal here. Makes the prognosis for winter look grim, but appearances are very deceptive. The work n the tunnels is usually either just routine maintenance or upgrading the safety precautions. As the A96 is relatively new all the tunnels meet safety specs so they may just be carrying out maintenance and closing one side allows them to work more quickly, then they switch to the other side.
ski holidays
skimastaaah,

I dont follow you?

hsdee,

They can only replace upgrade lifts in the same trajectory ( where old lifts run), or build new lifts that have had the plans submitted before the new enviromental law in Austria came in a few years ago.
latest report
stanton wrote:
Some off season eROCKIT Downhill Very Happy Very Happy

http://youtube.com/v/R4SDG38-8Hs

My bad, I'm a page out on this vid.
snow conditions
stanton, Yes I know this, but I think Tanzboden must be one of the least used and pointless lifts in the area unless happy is closed and they should have moved it (even more pointless than the drag lift they removed a few years ago that was useful when zammer was busy and I cannot see a big environmental impact in this area)... Even when I am at the top of happy I would rather endure the masses down to zammer than try and board to Tanzboden (on skis it does n't matter, though still not easy for a beginner). Whereas if it was located where I suggested above I think it might get a bit more use by those on their way back to Anton who would prefer Kandahar to happy and more use in the day. But then it's not the most board or beginner skier friendly area lalala, rant over.
snow report
hsdee,

Dissagree. It is very important if you been trashing Stuben POW all
Morning & need to be in St Christoph for lunch Very Happy

Everyone goes down to crowds at Zamnermoos.

Tanzboden was a private lift but that is goin to change now.

Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad
snow report
stanton, I agree, I use Tanzboden loads and really liked it, including the track but can see for boarders it must be a bummer.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stanton, And if they moved Tanzboden so that it started at Schindler finished at Galzig, it would quicken and ease the journey back from Stuben to St Christoph . A bonus for all except those that do laps on red 7. Anyway they have n't.
snow conditions
hsdee wrote:
stanton, And if they moved Tanzboden so that it started at Schindler finished at Galzig, it would quicken and ease the journey back from Stuben to St Christoph . A bonus for all except those that do laps on red 7. Anyway they have n't.

As I said , that is not possible due to the enviroment law as it would mean a complete new virgin lift project.

In anycase a chair lift on that trajectory is out of the question due to the wind !
snow report
Just got the brochure through from the Hubertushof in Stuben, that they send me every year. They've now built a lift down to the slope Very Happy Could make it a worthy stop off point for lunch now. The food was lovely when we stayed there a few years ago.
snow report
boabski wrote:
Just got the brochure through from the Hubertushof in Stuben, that they send me every year. They've now built a lift down to the slope Very Happy Could make it a worthy stop off point for lunch now. The food was lovely when we stayed there a few years ago.

http://www.hubertushof-arlberg.at/service-navigation/news.html
snow conditions
I would settle for an escalator, if it meant avoiding the downy up before the rat track which is usually treacherously riddled with ripples at the bottom which has caught out and injured one or two or three of my colleagues over the years and then having to unclip (board) for the last 2 metres which seems just impossible no matter how fast one goes. Then having to contend with everyone on the rat track. As you can see I am not a fan of Tanzboden even if they provided free jager and masseurs on every trip up.
ski holidays
Folks.

Snow on peaks this morning!
snow conditions
Ok, big news.......Post Keller is no more, will not be open for next season, Piccadilly will be there but the owners of Hotel Post have had so many noise complaints from residents that it will no longer be a late night club, now being converted to snazzy wellness!

Personally pleased, only been once and it was pants......I'm sure Bobo's, M3 and Antony's will take up he overspill though, I don't like that side of St Anton in ski season though, idiots shouting at 4am are better placed in Magalluf! rolling eyes
snow report
Markymark29,

That has been on the cards for some years.

Shame as that really was the latenight locals place.

There was a rumour that BoBo's was going to get a refurbishment this
summer but dont know if it went ahead. It needs it the place smells of vomit.
ski holidays
Idiots shouting at 4am is only because they all turn out at once, back to the old days of leaving when the sun comes up.

How the slack is taken up depends on the late licences issued as the others closed earlier, Kandi also being gone maybe. The gentrification of St Anton continues.
It is a shame as it was a good local place after everyone finished work in the restaurants and bars. Noise complaints.... hmmmphhh if that was so they would have closed it years ago.

Should turn the old Rendl into an uberclub and run a tunnel under the high street through town lining all the bars and clubs heehee.
snow report
To keep an eye on conditions, I added St Anton to my weather favourites on an I-Phone app last winter. Glad I don't live there in the summer the "summer" weather was better in Manchester. Shocked
snow report
Not really anywhere else with a late night licence, unless people actually start going to Murrmel... Kandahar has been dead for a while now, aside for the nights with cheap booze, if it even opens this season.
ski holidays
Best to take the train down to Innsbruck if you want late nights !

Re. Murmel. The staff will be all new their this season as the owner (Murr) p i s s e d off the last two season stafff at the end of last season by blaming them for the lack of customers because they had not worked hard enough. There was huge bust up & they all quit & told him to F Off.
That was an Austrian talkin to Austrain workers Shocked Shocked
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy