Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Avoriaz / Morzine / Les Gets / Chatel - 2011/12 snowreport

Poster: A snowHead
Mr NN = Windowlicker
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
andyph, I was going to make a similar joke but the PC button kicked in Very Happy

Fresh snow today - a wee bit colder too so all in all GREAT conditions snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arrived in Chatel around 14.00 after a very leisurely journey stopping overnight in Troyes.

Hired boots and skis for the kids and having asked for a recommendation from the shop owner who knows how (in)competant I am I have a pair of Dynastar Sultan 85s. Look to be mid width underfoot so hope they will cope with everything.

Only really able to comment on snow conditions in our car park. About 10cm of light fresh snow on top of the old stuff and -2C at 1300m.

Heading to Pre La Joux to get the legs going in the morning. Not had skis on since March!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DJL, are the resorts actually open on Christmas Day?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This has to be some kind of wind-up?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nope DJL, the resort closes on Christmas day.

Surely you released this when you booked?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
OK, just to be clear, I'm joking! snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Merry Christmas all snowHead
I'm afraid that the reports are all true. The snow is fantastic Very Happy I am not able to fully appreciate due to irritatingly painful ankle but that was only day 1 so working on it. I think that everyone who tried and failed skiing in April should have free passes and everyone else sent home Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I am not able to fully appreciate due to irritatingly painful ankle

Lou, Sad sorry to hear that. Hope you can get it going.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, little better today Very Happy Might manage a small piste tomorrow without stopping Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We had a lovely day in Avoriaz - snow is just gorgeous! Wee bit icy coming back into the Prodains car park (is it called Le Crot run?) but tip top and lovely sunshine!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Les Gets gave us a wonderful Xmas ski.
Cold and bright with wonderful snow, how better to spend Xmas?
Only downside was the little'un going to the doctors on Xmas day with an ear infection.
All sorted now though in true French style....chuck drugs at the problem!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chattonmill, hopefully ear on mend. Not much else you can do but chuck drugs at infected painful ear. Is the surgery as nice on the inside?!
I'm making arrangements to see physio Toofy Grin determined not missing this snow and don't want to miss meet up tomorrow
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Double post

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 26-12-11 22:09; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lou we can go slow at the back as I've spannered my shoulder - not by skiing but by getting dressed this morning!! I've spent the day so far trying to work it free and looking miserably out of the window at the beautiful day and am about to go and test it out on some gentle runs down the hill. Fingers crossed it gets better so I can see you all in the morning!
latest report
Nadenoodlee - are you guys able to join us tomorrow?

Spannah - "slow is pro" wink
latest report
FlyingStantoni, afraid not - I have to clean all day tomorrow Sad these holiday makers are seriously ruining my season wink
snow conditions
Spannah, deal Laughing

Now, the snow. It's very good but actually fair bit of ice around today. I know that because it is my new enemy and I keep a sharp eye out. Spent a good morning in and around the bowl and then back for a late lunch before finish up on Mont Chery. It was surprisingly warm late morning, and now below freezing again. They have been making lots of snow though wish they would top up a couple of bits on the lower part of Chamois on Mont Chery which will get ropey very soon Toofy Grin All in all, the conditions are great.
ski holidays
A belated thanks to flyingsantin
i and chantonmil etc. we have booked and are really looking forward to returning to morzine. Fingers crossed for mega snow.
P&m
snow report
paulmags, Great news snowHead
ski holidays
And in other news, the OH is now crocked too, low speed injury may mean the end of her skiing this month.
2 down 2 to go.....!
ski holidays
Chattonmill, Oh no! I am sorry to hear that - send her my best wishes for a swift recovery! I hope Ed is getting better too snowHead
snow report
Chattonmill, that is bad luck, but not many days till the end of this month... if that is what you mean.

Yes Lou, the surgery is certainly very nice inside - we have had a few trips there over 11 years and I was cheered by the lovely checked cushions that were gently placed below my legs when I broke my knee the other year! Those of us that enjoy soft furnishings appreciate that sort of touch - I think the chaps probably would be happy with a bit of plastic around the place. But don't let that be encouragement to go and see for yourself - keep safe!
ski holidays
Pamski, Laughing not curious enough to see it from the inside! I'm happy enough enjoying re-furbished Shoppi! And while we are on the subject of changes, the Flambeau has changed hands, not sure where Mikail has gone, hopefully relaxing somewhere as he worked so very hard.

Snow - spent the day with snowHeads (expertly lead by Flying Stantoni) up in Avoriaz. Conditions very good though some hefty lift queues. Today was special because I rode my first T-bar Shocked Madeye-Smiley again thanks to Flying Stantoni.

Looks like there is some more snow coming especially on Friday night Very Happy

While I remember, if you buy your PDS day upgrade from Les Gets before you leave then you will get 20% discount. You will have to hand your passes in as usual unitl back in LG. So daily pass is €34 instead €43.
latest report
Spent the morning learning to snowboard. I can confirm that the Linderats nursery slope has excellent snow that is really hard if you hit it at speed.

God, my body aches.
snow report
Quote:

God, my body aches

Laughing After "learn to board in a day" at Milton Keynes I was so stiff 48 hours later that having a drink of water when I woke up in the middle of the night was almost impossible!
snow report
FlyingStantoni wrote:
Spent the morning learning to snowboard. I can confirm that the Linderats nursery slope has excellent snow that is really hard if you hit it at speed.

God, my body aches.

Ah yes. Learning to snowboard. I remember it well...
ski holidays
paulio wrote:
Ah yes. Learning to snowboard. I remember it well...

It's the way you go down like a child learning to walk..

He's up...

...THWACK...

...and he's DOWN!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lou, are the pizzas at Flambeau still as good? Wednesday night there is a permanent feature on our itinerary.

I can second that the medical centre is very nice inside. Our first visit there we were greeted in reception by a woman from one of the estate agents. Nice to be welcomed by name... Shocked Blush
snow conditions
andyph, Flambeau pizzas weren't there last New Year Sad His goat's cheese salad was so good that I forgave him. But now Michail has gone and there is some woman there, menu didn't appeal to any of us. So we are saving our money for New Years Day hog roast on Mont Chery Very Happy Very Happy (and as it wouldn't be a holiday otherwise, pizzas from L'optraken tomorrow night). That will be to celebrate an end to all the Christmas food we brought with us.

I had a walking day today to give my two injuries a change of scene. Heaving absolutely everywhere, huge numbers of cars parked everywhere. I was glad to avoid lift queues and get some peace & quiet. Beautiful day though, met up for a drink at the Yeti with the skiers and could have almost worn a t-shirt. I don't think we will see much sun before we leave on Monday, light snow coming and then heavy on Friday Very Happy

FlyingStantoni, how long before you get to go on a t-bar on a board? wink
latest report
Lou, I did my first drag lift today.

The longest three minutes of my life. I spent it repeating "I must not do anything, I must not do anything..."
snow report
I'll be arriving in Morzine on NY's eve and very excited about the 50cm of new snow forecast for friday!!! New fatter skis looking like a wise investment...

I've order my ski pass online this year via www.skipass-morzine.com and i think (from my GCSE translation of the confirmation email) i need to pick them up from "Caisse internet du telepherique pleney". I guess this is just a separate desk at the pleney lift station but wondered if anyone has used this and if it's easy to find?
ski holidays
Quote:

huge numbers of cars parked everywhere

That is certainly true Lou, - I have never seen as many cars parked all over Les Gets, just had to hope that there were no fire engines or ambulances trying to get through in a hurry. Parking all up in the road by the lake near us early afternoon too - couldn't understand why all these people from Geneva could not get out earlier to ski than hitting the slopes at about 2.30 or 3. Or perhaps they had been working..
ski holidays
Had a day out on my own after Flyingstantoni wore the kids out yesterday!

Worst queue was the lift pass office at Barbossine - utter shambles.

Skied over to Torgon (Tronchey Itineraire was open but I didn't chance it for first run of thee day, the road down was closed presumably for avalanche risk so the only way down was the icy red) and La Chappelle - not too busy and snow still good though the bottom of Jorette down to Torgon is getting stony.
Then back to Super Chatel and over to Morgins. Icy scraped piste, slush and the beginnings of the sadly all too frequent Morgins mudfest appearing near the road towards the chair in Morgins.

Back to Super Chatel, up Morclan and made my way along the drags back to Barbossine. All that still has decent snow cover.

A top up tomorrow/Friday wouldn't go amiss.

FS - I tried boarding a few years ago. I fell a lot. It hurt. Didn't like being a beginner again. Went back to planks.
ski holidays
FlyingStantoni wrote:

The longest three minutes of my life. I spent it repeating "I must not do anything, I must not do anything..."

Hmm my t-bar thoughts exactly Laughing

Still snowing lightly as I type, proably several cms at village level. Maybe enough to keep the fair weather skiers from Geneva away (I guess Swiss Franc is playing it's part) Toofy Grin

Pam four ambulances passed me on the road up to Chavannes yesterday. There was also a nasty ? collision close to the magic carpet under the chair. I was at the Yeti at the time. Person on the stretcher was howling in pain as they eventually moved him very slowly to the ambulance Sad From where I sat I could also see the rubbernecking going on, on the piste, what is it with humans?
snow conditions
Same on the Swiss side. Big queues, and people skiing way too fast and with little respect for anyone else on the mountain. Sadly blue skies+snow+holidays bring out the numpties. Well at least teaching today should be less dangerous as its snowing hard in the village already and that means the fair weather folks will stay at home. I will feel less like a sitting target snow ploughing along with my beginners!
snow report
All turned white in Chatel! Snow has stopped and I estimate 5cm fresh (not been outside yet)

Cloud base around 1800m so viz up top will be poor.
ski holidays
Lou, that rubber carpet area is really dangerous - skiers absolutely speed past all the slow down signs outside it - and when I was inside the magic carpet area itself there last week with the BASS class that our four year old grandson was taking the little area that the instructor had marked out was skied right through by people who had absolutely no right to be in that section of the piste at all. A bit of granny-yelling went on but to no avail.
Little bit of snow still coming down here but mostly finished. Keeping to the trees today.
ski holidays
It's still snowing gently in Avoriaz and everything above us is shrouded in cloud. I think we'll be exploring further down the hill today. Fingers crossed it keeps some of the crowds we saw yesterday away.
ski holidays
We were glad to be confined to the beginner's area yesterday as the crowds looked horrendous for the Linderats lifts. MrsFS and I are on "alternative activities" to avoid the crowds - so skinning, learning to snowboard, snowshoeing and cross-country.

MrsFS, myself and a friend skinned up from the top of the red eggs in Les Gets to (nearly) the top of Ranfolly (too many people / too little viz to do the very top section) this morning - followed by a quick whiz back down to Les Gets.

Guide dog weather above the cloud. A lovely day below.

The snow's been good for the pistes as it seems to be wet enough to have stuck and given a nice grippy layer.

We're having lunch and then I'm going to the Pleney learner's area to have another hour or two snowboarding...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy