Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg snow report 2010/2011

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
Hope you have a good few days if the weather's good and today's accumulations improved things. Will keep an eye on the thread as I'm out there from Sunday 30th Jan. Plenty of time to go, so here's hoping mother nature will do her best and get dumping in the meantime!
Cheers,
Village
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Markymark29 wrote:
stanton, Any news about the planned lift from Rauz to Trittkopf/ Zurs? A good contact of mine in town says this is on the cards in next 2-3 years, apparently agreement by the locals has been reached.

IMO, Years away unless the plans have been fully submitted & accepted before the new lift ban law, it will never be built .

Markymark29 wrote:
I think it'll be a shame when Kappl in linked, it'll spoil Albona area IMO by all the Ischgl people coming over en-mass, but the above will be fantastic if and when it happens. Toofy Grin

Kappl spoil Albona??

Ischgl crowd will not come to St Anton,why would they? They will have to catch a bus to Kappl & very few do that now. Its more like Kappl folk going to Ischgl.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snowfall in January.

Generally there is not significant snowfall in January.

The big dumps normally occur in February & increase in March & April.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 12-01-11 20:25; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Don't think the Kappl/Rendl link will have too much of a negative impact. Think most folk staying in Ischgl overlook Kappl as we never saw huge busloads of folk coming off the buses at Kappl this year - think visitors will ski Kappl one day from six at present??? This may increase more once the link takes place from both sides of the link. When the new gondola was built at Rendl I thought that would be the end of quiet slopes in Rendl - turned out not to be the case in my experience last year.

All in, I thik it's a great addition - just wish it had been done this year so I could get my St Anton fix whilst in Kappl
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes I've spent a bit of time iin both Ischgl and the Arlberg. If you are in Ischgl you've got heaps of skiing right on your doorstep so I wouldn't imagine many people would bother. Some would, but not huge numbers. The biggest boon I would imagine will be for places like Kappl and other smaller villages in that stretch who could potentially pick up quite a bit of business.

Didn't really understand the Albona point? Puzzled
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Didn't really understand the Albona point?

My fault I meant to put Rendl................dur!! Same issue, will get very busy and tracked out quickly.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boabski wrote:
When the new gondola was built at Rendl I thought that would be the end of quiet slopes in Rendl - turned out not to be the case in my experience last year.

The slopes over at Rendl were busier (I actually had to queue to get on the Rendlbahn, only for a minute or two, but something I never had to do the season before), but not as busy as they get on the main side.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Connection Kappl St Anton

This is what the Environmental Advocates are fighting about

http://www.tiroler-umweltanwaltschaft.gv.at/themen/natur-recht/verfahren/fotos-malfon.html

Here is there response last August (In Bold)

http://www.tiroler-umweltanwaltschaft.gv.at/fileadmin/inhalte/__PDFs/Verfahren/AS-UVP-38-16_Zusammenschluss_Kappl_St_Anton_vorlaeufige_Stellungnahme_internet.pdf
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stanton, is it raining hard?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Parapluies in Ordnung Very Happy

Im out of town right now for a few days but sources confirm its raining today (snow above 2000m+), tonight & all day tomorrow. Its going to be very warm next few days with thawing (freeze level above 3000M) .

They got a pretty deep base kunstschnee down so I wouldn't worry.

Always after the Fohn the Snow comes Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stanton, parapluies indeed, followed by Hot sun - interesting conditions!

I shall update the thread on my return
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Light snow at the moment in the village, listed nice and soft today but forecast to be warmer later but local forecast is for snow tomorrow up top fingers crossed it doesn't get too wet in the village. Yesterday stuben st anton was perfect conditions no brown pistes anywhere lots of snow. Shouldn't be a problem if it rains lower down at all
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well the snow turned to rain last night, still raining in the village, snowline from around 1800m upwards but the strong winds have closed quite a few of the top lifts. Pistes still look ok from the hotel window but miserable out though. Friday looks like sun but spring conditions should be good up top ! snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Conditions were brootal today.

It rained hard almost nonstop for ~14hrs below 1600m and for about ~3hrs below 2000m.

The snow from 1600m to 2300m is wet.

There has been about 20 - 40cm of gloop above 2000m.

The rain-sleet-freeze-thaw cycle has hammered the pistes and pow below ~2000m.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spring conditions yesterday, new snow had fallen above 1900m. Snowing now in the village but leaving today ! Crying or Very sad
snow report
Temperature will remain unseasonably warm next few days. Wednesday onwards should see temperatures return to negative Happy
snow report
News from Sonnenkopf

During the Summer the Riedkopfbahn will be replaced with a new 4 man chair and new top station bistro & sun terrrace.

http://www.vol.at/sesselbahn-loest-lift-oldie-ab/news-20110114-07083613
ski holidays
Colder weather on the way next week maybe even some snow !!
ski holidays
Wednesday Snow starts Very Happy

Run loop in link

https://afweather.afwa.af.mil/cgi-bin/model_looper.cgi?6,48,3,MEURSFCSNTT,.GIF,6,3,15

http://www.wetter.at/wetter/oesterreich/tirol/sankt-anton-am-arlberg/
ski holidays
As reported two seasons ago

After the end of this season 2010/2011 The Funky Chicken & other establishments (Platzl Bar & Pizzeria Pomodoro & Sporthaus Pangratz) will be torn down to make way for a new Hotel (ANTONYS)

http://www.ofa.at/Projekte/?subid=73&detail=296

Don't kill the funky chicken

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dont-kill-the-funky-chicken/166650790029950
snow conditions
Friday 14th

Avalanches on Albona

Klösterle

1 German Snowboarder (Employee in Klösterle) died

Maroiköpfen North East Face

2 Swedes survived. One rescued the second who was buried up to his neck & had suffered a broken leg.

http://kurier.at/nachrichten/2065109.php
ski holidays
Moved on from Lech today.

Slopes are fine up top, but icy and thin down low.

Snow expected in the second half of the week.
snow conditions
Just back from 4 days in St Anton.

Friday was hideous after the rain - huge slushy moguls all over the mountain but then Sat-Mon were good, if spring like, and the weather hot and sunny.

Nearly all pistes showing brown patches - rendl is best - but all still very skiable. The slopes above resort are looking very sorry though, large areas of grass. Locals say they have never known weather like this in January.

I sustained 2 small injuries - cut finger slicing rye loaf with very sharp bread knife in the hotel, and bruising to head after misjudging height of ceiling in the Krazy Kangaruh.

I was happy to be able to pass on a few technical tips to the international ski-demo teams who were in town for some interski beano Smile
snow report
Hi all - will be in St Anton over the weekend. Anyone hazard a guess what the off-piste will be like on Friday after the forecast snow on Wed/Thurs? Am wondering whether it's worth shelling out for a guide.
snow conditions
Quote:

I sustained 2 small injuries

Laughing
snow report
harryt,

Don't shoot the messenger but according to the weather websites it doesn't look like a massive dump is coming ....

http://www.wetter.at/wetter/sport-freizeit/ski-wetter/oesterreich/tirol/st-anton-am-arlberg

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/St-Anton/6day/top
snow conditions
Newbie here, going to St Anton for a week with a bunch of mates on Sat 22nd (Jan). Been there before about 6 yrs ago and back then we did a run over the top and down to Lech or Zurs ( can't remember which one but was def one of em). Our chalet worker came with us all that day and knew the place like the back of his hand and it was superb.

But it seems that run doesn't exist anymore, it was a lot of flat track at the top but the run down to lech was outsdanding. Was wondering if any of you guys could jog my memory on it so i can impress the boys with a days run over the top?
latest report
http://www.skigebiete-test.de/pistenplan/st-anton-am-arlberg.html
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

http://youtube.com/v/_M1C40D6WDo

http://youtube.com/v/Bhz-WgJH8R0
ski holidays
stanton, I think they've got some work to do there...

I two guys from the German team carving - fast - down the off piste under the top of the 3 man chair near the valluga. Stenmanher is it called? Seriously impressive given conditions

Saw the british team out practising too - they were defintely the fastest Laughing
snow conditions
DB wrote:
http://www.skigebiete-test.de/pistenplan/st-anton-am-arlberg.html
thanks for the link but i have searched all piste maps online and none show any runs over the valluga.

I have read online that you can only ski from st anton to lech with a guide and theres some serious off piste involved, which has me baffled as i've done it and even though our chalet worker acted as a guide, he wasn't official. And there was definately no off piste, just some flat awkward parts and some uphill pushing.
snow report
unclenewy, then you did not go off the back of the Valluga. Which you would certainly remember. There is no other route between St Anton and Zurs. So as baffled as you are.
ski holidays
unclenewy,

I've skied down to Lech from St Anton a couple of times, I suspect maybe you skied down to Stuben.
ski holidays
harryt wrote:
Hi all - will be in St Anton over the weekend. Anyone hazard a guess what the off-piste will be like on Friday after the forecast snow on Wed/Thurs? Am wondering whether it's worth shelling out for a guide.

Offpiste is currently thin, rocky and crusty.

If they get over 50cm of powda, then do it.

Otherwise, go back in early April when depths are better.
ski holidays
Thanks guys - piste cruising it is then!
snow report
DB wrote:
unclenewy,

I've skied down to Lech from St Anton a couple of times, I suspect maybe you skied down to Stuben.

That would be a seriously good trick. Zurs, yes, off the back of Valluga, but to Lech?
ski holidays
ulmerhutte wrote:
DB wrote:
unclenewy,

That would be a seriously good trick. Zurs, yes, off the back of Valluga, but to Lech?

Laughing was off the back of Valluga to Zürs and then we took the llifts over to Lech ...... I just kept following (read trying to keep up with) Graham Austick at P2P, he seemed to know where he was going snowHead

http://www.students.uni-mainz.de/sprec000/valluga.html

http://www.arlberg.de/ArlbergWinter/Bilder/SkiArlberg08-09.jpg
snow report
I hear it's snowing right now. Can anyone confirm?
latest report
Take a look at the webcams, seems to be showing some.
latest report
DB wrote:
unclenewy,

No def wasn't stuben as we did that another day and some of the guys got a taxi back to st anton thinking there was no lifts back, but a couple of us found the lifts and run it back to the KK.

We definately went over to Zurs as we were asking in the chalet how to get there and the guy (Byron was his name) said he would take us, so all 9 of us went on his day off and i remember the guys on boards were getting a little p***ed off cos of all the pushing on this long flat pass over the top. Once we hit the piste down the other side they soon perked up.

Then we took a very steep chairlift up the mountain face which must have been the lift over to lech, we spent the day cruising some fantastic reds and blues then all got a minibus back home.

Anyway thanks for the replies guys, just looks like i'll have to show them the run to stuben and get a bus from there, there's 18 of us this time though so may be hard work keeping everyone together.

Oh and is there more than one run to the KK? cos last time it was like negotiating the M62 at rush hour......but with moguls.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy