Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian Snow Report 2007/2008

Poster: A snowHead
Markus wrote:
Kersh, you going out to Bad Gastein this year?

Mother was out there over New Year, apparently fantastic on-piste conditions, far better than last Feb half term in the Zillertal

Markus, yep, off out on the 23rd but I think I may go for a crafty few days at the start of Feb too! snowHead Waynos, when you out there till?

Gastein has a good reputation for snow ... good to see your Mum enjoyed it. I PM'ed you by the way. wink

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Heading to Kitzbuhel on the 26th, with all this mild wet weather forecast for the next few days should I cancel or does anyone know if there is time and weather forecast for the resort to recover in time for my arrival?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
White Dream, only trust them three days in advance if that !
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
White Dream, I went to Kitzbuhel in January last year and alot of the snow melted or was washed away the week before I went. I still went though and had a fantastic time. The place is really beautiful and I found the people very friendly. The conditions this year are alot better than last year and they have snow cannons on most slopes so it shouldn't be too bad. If there are any problems skiing from the top of the Hahnenkamm then get a bus to the Fleckalmbahn lift. There should always be snow at the top of that.

Have a great time!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
topcat, Wot he said... don't cancel WD - the Tirol is just the business.... I guarantee a good time or your money back (c V Kyam) wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
red 27, I'm a she not a he btw.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all that. Just a bit worried as I was also there last year at the start of Jan and conditions were marginal to say the least, took a punt this year thinking lighteneing couldn't strike twice and all that and for the end of Jan they have had a good snow record over the past decade. After the great start to this season it would be a little dissapointing heading out to green meadows. Looks like global warming is a factor for the low altitude resorts especially when you consider that there is only 60cm at top and 5cm valley (with green patches showing) after such a 'great start'. I would worry for the future of these resorts if this trend continues. I for one will be heading higher in future which is a pity as the low altitude Tirol resorts have the best caracter. Not to sound all negitive I still hope for a good dumping after the mild spell before my arrival to refresh the area. Anyone have an opinion on what it looks like the weather will do next week before the 26th Puzzled Looks to me that temps will drop and v light precipitation not amounting to much, but it only takes one good dump! I'll have no energy for sking after all this dancing Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
White Dream, we'e off to Saalbach on the 26th. Forecast looking good at the minute!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
White Dream, Based in Schladming at 750m, in ski amade area east of Kitz. Looking out the window now and see a blanket of snow, even on the south facing slopes. Official valley snow depth is 90cm at the moment, though i'd say it's a bit less than that. So not all low altitude resorts in austria are the same. Does look like some warm wet weather on the way, but will be snow up on the hills and then turning colder.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Waynos, I dont mean to make a broad sweeping statment that all low altitude resorts will suffer, its just a personal observation based on experience. Good to hear you have such coverage there in Schladming. With all the epic stories flying around this site from higher altitudes I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little peed off! Can someone please give me hope or an up to date report from Kitz? I'm still dancing by the way snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
White Dream, this does not look too bad

http://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/Austria/Kitzbuhel_snow.html
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
20cms in Mayrhofen area today! Very Happy i'll be there the 26th cant wait Very Happy

http://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/Austria/Mayrhofen_snow_report.html
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Off to Hochkonig region this afternoon for 4 days. Looks like some nice new snow overnight! I am expecting tomorrow to be a bit mild and soggy, but looks a bit better after that (only there until Tuesday).

Can't wait for first snow of 2008! Last ski in 07 was November 2nd, so it wasn't too long ago!

D
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Any news guys? less than a week to go!!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
White Dream wrote:
Waynos, I dont mean to make a broad sweeping statment that all low altitude resorts will suffer, its just a personal observation based on experience. Good to hear you have such coverage there in Schladming. With all the epic stories flying around this site from higher altitudes I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little peed off! Can someone please give me hope or an up to date report from Kitz? I'm still dancing by the way snowHead

Relax, dude.

97% of the lifts and 88% of the pistes are open in Kitzbuehel today.

It is midwinter. They have been blasting the snowguns for weeks. It freezes up top at night. That base ain't gonna melt in just a few days.

Overall conditions in Kitz are slightly below-average right now. It does need a good snowfall. And it is fairly icy below midstation.

But most of the mountains there remain white. They still have some toptobottom skiing available. And the resort should be fairly quiet again after this weekend's race.

Do it.
snow conditions
Whitegold, Looking like Tuesday should bring some snow from top to bottom
snow report
The east of Austria has seen very warm winds and the outside temp was 13 Deg C today Shocked
http://www.wetter.at/wetter/

It looks like most of Austria is ok though with only some resorts in the Steiermark suffereing.
snow conditions
Back from Flachau. Five days in all types of weather condition, rain, snow, heavy fog, and temps mostly above zero.
Pistes are still good everywhere in the region.
On Tuesday cold weather arrives this region, snow line drops from 3000m to 800m.
snow report
Snow forecast giving a reasonable dump next weekend.in Obertauern(25cm or so). Lets hope this is a 'consevative' forecast. Tempretures coming down nicely.France looking a bit better also.
latest report
looking a bit better for Soll today after milder conditions last weekend:

From Snowforecast:

Weather Summary:
A moderate fall of snow, heaviest on Tue afternoon Freeze-thaw conditions (max 2°C on Thu morning, min -15°C on Wed afternoon) Winds decreasing (strong winds from the W on Tue morning, calm by Wed night)
latest report
Kaprun is reporting that 38 cm of fresh snow has fallen in the last 24 hours.
snow conditions
OK LOOOOOOOOOOONNNNG trip/snowreport coming... (sorry)

Just back from Hochkonig/Amade region after a crafty 4 day break.

First day on snow was Saturday - skied from Dienten over to Hinterthal and then the Aberg near Maria Alm (so from 1 top height of around 1700m down to 800m). Cloudy with some sunny spells, and the snow cover and condition was on the whole excellent, only getting slightly slushy at the bottom around the lift areas where there was heavier traffic (although it's all relative, read on!), but generally on piste was excellent. Off piste was not so great with a top 'crust' which was hard to ski, so we didn't!

Sunday we skied in the other direction, towards Muehlbach, and had a great day skiing in the sun, but with excellent snow, staying in good condition right down to valley level.

At this point, we moved from our original accommodation in Dienten (due to all night disco downstairs, yes, in one of the tiniest villages in the region, we found too much noise!), to djflectcher's pad (thanks for putting us up at the last minute guys!) in Muehlbach, and skied the Hochkeil area on Monday with Nigel. This area is fairly high altitude for the region, running from about 1500 up to about 1800. It's a small area perfect for families and early intermediates, but we had a great day there due to excellent snow and fabulous clear skies. There's quite a bit of tree skiing for those wanting to be a bit more adventurous, and so the area, although small, is really worth a visit. Was probably the most enjoyable of our 4 days.

Yesterday we had to travel to and from Zell, so ended up using the Amade pass to ski Alpendorf/Wagrain. Have skied there before so know it's a lovely area, but yesterday's conditions were tricky. Snow on the piste was great, but the fresh new flakes falling all day long meant visibility was very poor, so it was tricky picking your way down. Have to confess, we spent a couple of hours in the Kreistneralm and then gave up on the blizzard and headed back to the airport (with a quick last minute dash back to Zell having realised we had left our travel wallet with passports etc. there).

So four days of quite different skiing, good snow conditions almost the whole time. The Hochkonig region is spectacular in terms of scenery, and blissfully quiet compared to other areas in the region (or in fact compared to any other area I have ever skied), and so on that basis I would definitely recommend it, especially for families. Some of the lifts are in need of updating as there are a couple of long drags at key links, but I understand these are planned in the not too distant future. Will definitely include a day in the area next time we have an Amade liftpass.

Yesterday as we were travelling/leaving, it was still snowing, down at the airport in Salzburg, on the motorway, everywhere, so hopefully people will be waking up to fresh powder today Very Happy !

D
snow report
Deliaskis,

Thanks for your info, Looking to book for a weeks skiing from 2/2/08, not booked yet, but taking 2 kids and hubby. Where abouts in the Hochkonig region would you favour? We are all intermediates. We've left it late to try for the best snow, but love Austria. Ta in advance Very Happy
snow report
Deliaskis

What were conditions like in Zell?
I'm taking 50 school kids there in a couple of weeks Laughing
snow report
BrightonSki, we didn't actually ski Zell, but there was good cover, not scrapy or too slushy, right the way down to the bottom station when we were there, and the snow started falling and continued for a good few hours.

I would think if the temps don't go too high, you will have a good time.

We're of back there in March so hoping it doesn't rise too much!

Zobo, We initially stayed in Dienten, as we liked that it was in the middle of the linked area and had doorstep skiing so to speak. However, the area is well linked by bus so you can get around easily anyway. Muehlbach gives you a good combination of lifts, as is part of the linked area, plus the smaller Hochkeil area which has great snow when some of the lower areas suffer. I have never been to Maria Alm, but have read that it is bigger than the other villages so perhaps a bit more in terms of restaurants etc. If I were you, I would look at Muehlbach, then Maria Alm.

D
snow conditions
Thanks Deliaski, sounds promising. rolling eyes
ski holidays
Deliaskis, Excellent report Very Happy Am off to maria alm on Friday, can't wait! Very Happy
snow report
Thanks Deliaskis , it was good to meet another Snowhead and we were happy to put you up for a couple of nights. You're right , we did wake up to fresh snow this morning (about 10cms or so) , if I'd been skiing this season it would have been a fantastic day out there as the sun came out and there was a bright blue sky too - what more could you ask for?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Zobo, Unfortunately the week 2/2 is VERY busy, it's the school holidays from Vienna and we have been booked out for a year with returning Viennese families. Good luck
ski holidays
Thanks for all your replies, we have always skiied this week and don't find it too busy. Will still have al ook around this week to find out where the best snow is. Although Austria is our preffered destination we would be happy anywhere, where theres snow and a cold beer.................. heaven!
snow conditions
Off tomorrow (Saturday), any reports on mayrhofen?
latest report
Just back from the Gastein valley (again) - but seriously I can't fault the place. Long, wide pistes, no crowds, tonnes of snow. .. the spas..
Snowed all day on the Thursday. Visibility was poor up on the Stubnerknogel but once we were below the tree line . Oh My God! Friday was a little better visibility wise, spent most of the day on the Schlossalm where it was like a big white marshmallow. Saturday it was starting to clear up and was a little windy so after a few runs on Schlossalm we headed to DorfGastein which was basically deserted but the pistes and runs down through the trees were marvellous and in excellent condition. Smiles all round. There was no wind on Sunday though... all four lights were green next to the Felsentherme so we only had one destination in mind: Sportgastein. It was the first time I had boarded that area and it was like another world. The fresh snow didn't get cut up, the snow wasn't packed the sun was shining and all in all it was pretty spectacular. Best day boarding ever.
snow conditions
chivdog, Pics? Very Happy Razz

Sounds like a good trip Cool
snow report
chivdog, yeah post some pics.

chivdog wrote:
... all four lights were green next to the Felsentherme so we only had one destination in mind: Sportgastein.

Sportgastein is such an excellent place, I love it!! I can't wait to ge there myself in 4 weeks. snowHead snowHead
latest report
We're off to Bad Gastein in 4 weeks. I keep reading about Sport Gastein and it sounds awesome. We are comfortable intermediates so would SG be a problem?

Also, does anybody know how reliable the buses to and from Dorfgastein are? I keep reading mixed reviews on their reliability etc. Any info would be appreciated thanks.
latest report
Cafu, As intermediates you'll be fine at Sport Gastein. The pistes are nice and wide so great for carving. The terrain rolls nicely so you get some great speed down the steep bits. You'll love it. snowHead

As for buses from Dorfgastein, go to http://en.skigastein.com, click Service then Bus info for the schedule. There's a bus ever 30 mins from Dorgastein to Sportgastein. The buses run to time and i've never had any problems in the past.

When do you arrive Cafu, I may join you for a few runs if that's ok? I'll be there in 4 weeks too but will be skiing on my own for most of it.

Cheers
ski holidays
Cheers Kersh, it all sounds great.

We are there last week in Feb, I think the Mrs and her sister will be doing some ski school but me and my brother in law try and do our own thing and learn from our mistakes so the more the merrier.
snow report
Is it snowing in Austria?

Off to Zell Am See in a couple of weeks. Various forecasts between 1cm and 12cm for today/tomorrow on the web.
latest report
BrightonSki, Been some snow here in schladming today, but very windy. I think more snow further east you go. Hard to tell how much snow as all lifts shut here today.
ski holidays
A very windy day yesterday round here - all the lifts were shut! Then is snowed, and snowed and snowed! The other/better half found a lift open up at Zauchensee in the afternoon so went up there with a couple of mates that were here for a couple of nights. Massive snow fall up there - followed by a very interesting/scary drive/slide back down the mountain.

This morning I expect waynos, can be found knee deep in powder somewhere in Schladming. We are off to Zachensee - minus the car, we are going by bus!
Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy