Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil 2022/2023 - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel/Swiss Side etc.

Poster: A snowHead
Randyp909 wrote:
Have been out and about in Les Gets/Morzine since the weekend having a great time with ours and another family.

Was super cold when we arrived with minus temps and decent snow, today felt unnaturally warm and all of a sudden brown patches appeared, and the feel of the snow by the afternoon had a very springtime feel to it. Still good enough to ski down to Les Gets and Morzine towns though.

It was weird to feel a warm breeze in your face going up the lifts today, even up to Point De Nyon. Tomorrow promises drizzle, and more rain on Thurs. We'll have to see how it turns out, but may be short days for the rest of the week.

Next week doesn't look too exciting for the Christmas week, there's plenty of snow about on piste but I can imagine it getting quite slushy, with no snow on the horizon.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Randyp909, I think there’s some possibility of snow on 28/12 and getting colder towards NY.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ah well all this warm weather is disappointing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@billy lale, definitely looks like cooling down from 28th. But warm over xmas weekend - however slightly positively the forecasts are dialling down the rain a bit on 23/12. The PdS app even has snow up top on 23rd!

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I’m guessing even with a bit of warmer weather we will still be able to ski?! Silly question maybe, but I don’t know
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@billy lale, oh yes - you may prefer to head up to Avoriaz but there’s a decent base.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@andy from embsay, not sure where you are seeing that 28/12 snowfall apart from perhaps a glimmer of hope with ECM. If you are just relying on the "mountain" part of the PdS app than that is optimistic - presumably that is for the very top of the ski area (i.e. 100% of the pistes would be below that). The latest model runs suggest:

GFS - lots of rain between now and Christmas (snow above ~2000m), then drier but warm until the end of the year
GEM - same as GFS but with an even higher snowline
ICON - same as GEM, perhaps more rain after Christmas too
ECM - similar to GFS until 28/12, then a rain to snow event followed by seasonal temperatures

Highest lifts in the PdS top out at just over 2200m. Of course what happens beyond Christmas could change for the better, but the worst parts of the forecasts are in the reliable timeframe (i.e. next few days).

Focusing on the positives, the higher parts of the Portes du Soleil (e.g. Avoriaz, Les Crosets, Pre-la-joux) should hold up OK with a better base and slightly cooler temperatures than e.g. Pleney.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 20-12-22 18:03; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@andy from embsay, thanks. We only bought our passes yesterday, any typically only bought M/LG passes. We only have 2 hours each day with the boy in ski school so need to stay close to Pleney
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@denfinella, i’m not “relying” on anything - but Meteo France (who I assume use ECM) have temperatures dropping after 28/12. The PdS app has lower temps for the “valley” (so presumably 1800m for Avoriaz) after 27/12, so I’m guessing ECM too. Bergfex the same - lower temps at 1800m

from 27/12. I realise there’s still plenty of time for things to change either way, but the point is two or three days of warmer weather and some rain isn’t as catastrophic as some are making out.

That PdS app screenshot is the “mountain” bit of Morzine - so I’m assuming snowline of about 1700.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@andy from embsay, sorry, didn't mean to put words into your mouth re. relying. It looks like the Portes du Soleil app and Bergfex must both get their data from the same source (ECM), so just be aware that ECM is only one of the four main weather models, and is currently the most optimistic of the four.

I would be delighted if the weather turns out to be less bad than currently forecast. I'm not wishing poor conditions on anyone. I'm off to the Portes du Soleil later in January too and it's always nice to see a good base build up before a trip. The PdS is of course a vast area and there will be good skiing somewhere in it!

However - while I haven't used the "catastrophic" description, the forecast is pretty much as bad as it can get in terms of rain for late December - consecutive days of rain, mild temperatures, strong winds and humid air. And it is more than two or three days of warmer weather - it is over a week. I'm just trying to be realistic without being over pessimistic or optimistic, which might help inform people re. lift pass choices etc.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@denfinella I’m absolutely no expert but from looking at the models they all seem to agree it’ll cool down after xmas, the speed of doing so appears to be the main difference. Not sure where the BBC get their data from these days but they also have PdS getting much colder from 27/28 - so whilst 23/12 looks truly horrendous, if the FL stays below 2500m I’d have thought most of the higher pistes should hold up ok as the warm weather really seems to arrive on 23/12. They seem particularly good at preserving what they have over in Chatel too - we don’t ski Les Gets side much usually, so happy to leave that til later in January and ski avoriaz and plaine dranse/Linga early Jan.

I agree if I was going out for xmas week I’d be looking to ski Avoriaz- but as I’ve never been for xmas and have no intention of ever doing so my focus is after NY.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mild on its own is not a big issue. It's mild, windy + wet (i.e. before Christmas) which really damages the snowpack.

andy from embsay wrote:
happy to leave that til later in January and ski avoriaz and plaine dranse/Linga early Jan.

How long are you going for? I'm envious!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I’m out about twice a month - long weekend early Jan, 10 days end of the month then a similar pattern Feb/March - couple of long weekends and a 10 day trip in between. Sadly keep having to come home in between to go to work…
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Coming out 23rd, going home 27th. Looks like we've timed it perfectly for warm and rain.....

Oh well, we are staying up at Lac de Montriond so will be going up towards Avoriaz for our skiing, so hopefully the pistes should hold up ok up there.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@andy from embsay,

https://www.wetterzentrale.de/en/show_diagrams.php?geoid=42263&model=gfs&var=201&run=0&lid=ENS&bw=

Cooling after Xmas but still much warmer than average and no real precipitation in sight sadly.

@Fridge03,

23rd looks to be the worst day, 24th better (maybe) and Xmas day onwards hopefully warm and sunny. There’s enough snow in the Avoriaz area to see you through your trip.
snow report
@zzz, there seems to be some differences in the models as to when it cools down though? ECM has it back to about normal after 27/12 (as Polo pointed out) and a few of the models on Meteologix have it quite cold from 27/12. Fingers firmly crossed…

ski holidays
Will there still be enough snow to ski in Morzine though or will it be too slushy?
latest report
billy lale wrote:
Will there still be enough snow to ski in Morzine though or will it be too slushy?

I’m sure there’ll be some snow to slide about on - they’re pretty good at shifting it around.
snow conditions
@andy from embsay,

Let’s hope you’re correct about thr temps. Out of interest, what altitude is that based on?
snow report
Champery rather than Morzine but that’s a lot of rain if it plays out Shocked
ski holidays
@BobinCH,

Indeed. It’s hosing it down outside my house. Back to Zwift for a few days…
ski holidays
@zzz, that’s just “temperature °C” - it says

This map shows the minimum temperature forecast by the model over a 12 hour period at an elevation of 2m (6 feet). This elevation is chosen because it gives an idea of the temperatures we experience living on the surface of the Earth while removing the influence of the actual ground temperature.

but the 850hPa (c1500m?) seems similar (though GFS still warmer). This is UK met office I think.

It does seem there’s a chance it’ll get significantly cooler before new year but it’s all very uncertain (as you’d expect a week out).
latest report
How sad - the webcams, particularly the one of the Chavannes plateau, are not pleasant viewing ...
snow report
How sad - the webcams, particularly the one of the Chavannes plateau, are not pleasant viewing ...
snow conditions
@zzz, uhhh, "no real precipitation in sight" - I can see quite a lot out my bedroom window! sadly rather moister than required though.
ski holidays
The front face of Pleney looks to be green again - however tbh I’m quite surprised by how white quite a lot of the ski area still looks (though the worst is today, I think?) - and of course it’s not even xmas yet. Glad I bought a cheap pair of “rock skis” for the first trip.
latest report
andy from embsay wrote:
The front face of Pleney looks to be green again - however tbh I’m quite surprised by how white quite a lot of the ski area still looks (though the worst is today, I think?) - and of course it’s not even xmas yet. Glad I bought a cheap pair of “rock skis” for the first trip.

Let’s hope that it does get cooler by NYE … they can then start running the cannons again at least. Let’s not forget that the Pleney and everything below 1,800 metres was green a couple of weeks ago (unless my memory has failed me). Have a lovely Christmas all and thanks for making this such a friendly and welcoming thread.
latest report
I think you’re right - Pleney was still looking very green up until about 10/12, but there was snow earlier than that - @polo was out and about up above Chavannes back in mid-late November, and we followed in his boardsteps the following weekend. This was 26/11 I think.

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
@zzz, uhhh, "no real precipitation in sight" - I can see quite a lot out my bedroom window! sadly rather moister than required though.

Over here it's been persisting it down for most of the past 24 hours and is looking set to continue all day. Lifts not running today, all courses cancelled. Should be clearing up later tomorrow, not getting colder until midweek.
snow conditions
For the motivated, Xmas day could be a good day to use a Verbier pass. Most of the high skiing will probably be shut until then due to Avi risk and if things open it could be quite spectacular up at Mont Fort if you can get up their early.
ski holidays
Just landed at a very wet Geneva.

Dunno if I’m just trying to be optimistic but the weather forecast seems to have improved ever so slightly? Gone from heavy rain to light/drizzle and the worst being today?
snow report
@Fridge03 the worst is deffo today, with the tail of it tomorrow. But then xmas day looks really nice. Then hoping for a cooler spell after boxing day.
ski holidays
Kids were up at the Terche this morning for ski school and small ponds were forming. It's not stopped raining since here and the scenes are reminiscent of Dec 2015 when, according to my photos, it was just a grim white strip down the hill.

We were up at Lindarets and over to Avoriaz yesterday - it was much better than we feared: not as wet and for the most part the snow held up. Slushy lower down but fun enough on wide skis. I daren't look what it's like today... this is the most optimistic picture I can find: https://www.wetterzentrale.de/en/show_diagrams.php?geoid=11410&model=gfs&var=201&run=6&lid=ENS&bw=1.

Mate in Verbier said it was rough there too last couple of days... such a shame. Anything high will just be closed because of avalanche risk. Basically a full reset...
ski holidays
andy from embsay wrote:
@Fridge03 the worst is deffo today, with the tail of it tomorrow. But then xmas day looks really nice. Then hoping for a cooler spell after boxing day.

Here’s hoping today/tomorrow won’t do too much damage to stuff up higher as Christmas Day looks likely good day.

Just arrived at Lac du Montriond. Still snow cover on the ground, but the lake is unfreezing. Heavy drizzle to light rain at the moment here.
Drove through Les Gets and Morzine. Both looked like a wash out.
snow conditions
@under a new name, that was for after xmas, although that has of course changed.
latest report
Hmm - I can’t say I’m looking forward to our long weekend in Les Gets in 3 weeks. I expect most folk will be heading for Avoriaz over the next few weeks. Would be very interesting to see what lifts / runs are open tomorrow and next week.
snow report
@franga, still time for things to change before mid January. (In any case it'll almost certainly be better than today would have been!) Smile I'll be out there not long after you.

The early January period (~5th onwards) looks like it'll be crucial for us as the models aren't very encouraging for before then. Otherwise, as you say, we'll be getting to know Avoriaz very well wink

I think @andy from embsay is out there before us so hopefully they'll be able to give an update in early Jan.
snow report
@denfinella, my mate arrived Thursday and skied yesterday - first day of the season syndrome. He managed a couple of hours round Avoriaz, said the home run to Prodains was ok (could have been speaking relatively of course). Will get a few updates from him over the next few days as he’s out til 7/1 which is after we arrive.
ski holidays
Leaving Les Gets in a couple of hours. Very wet and green here now. Glad we got out and around as much as we wanted to early in the week.
snow report
@zzz, I just meant it was peeing down rain Sad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy