Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2022/23 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@Gored, What forecast site/app are you using? We're heading to Saalbach Jan 21st - So i'm hoping for a decent covering by then Eh oh!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mountain forecasts for the next 24-48 hours are pretty accurate on the whole. Up to 7 days out, they're now surprisingly good, and we can have some confidence that the 15cm forecast in the next 7 days will be somewhere between 10 and 20cm but may not entirely map out to the days they stated.

Between 7 and 14 days is more of a general feel of what might happen. As we get closer, that gets refined and some of the wilder options get pruned out.

Between 14 and 21 days it gets pretty funky - you can see a forecast which says there may be 50cm of snow, and then it vanishes with the next day's forecast. At best, you can say that there is a chance of snow. Don't pin your hopes on a weather forecast today that says there will be a huge dump on the 20th...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I remember one year when the first really huge dump of the season was in mid-February. Heavy snowfall lasting several days.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've been coming to Saalbach-Hinterglemm every year since 2006 (apart from '21 Mad ), usually early January and early March and can honestly say that I have never seen a time when it was not possible to ski enjoyably, yes conditions vary but always had piste to ski on. January 2019 was memorable for huge snowfall (Snowmagedon) and believe it or not people were cancelling because there was too much snow!

I was in Hinterglemm 10th to 17th December and it was very cold, the majority of the snow was man made. I arrive back tomorrow and am going to make the most of my 2 weeks whatever Mamma Holle decides to bless us with Very Happy

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 7-01-23 22:22; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Today’s forecast at village level, looks snow, however this can all change, for those interested I’m using Bergfex

snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@radar, You will be doing cartwheels if you look at Yr Norway
https://www.yr.no/en/forecast/daily-table/2-7872248/Austria/Salzburg/Politischer%20Bezirk%20Zell%20am%20See/Saalbach-Hinterglemm
1mm precipitation supposedly = 1cm snow I think

Bergfax is showing that at resort level (below 1000m) as you say.
Snow-Forecast above 2000m is similar to Yr.no
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arrived in Hinterglemm at lunchtime today thanks to a 6am flight from Glasgow. Got on the slopes at 3pm and found the skiing much harder work than I was anticipating. Lower down was very similar to the snow at Braehead indoor slope, higher up seemed to alternate between fairly hard and scrapy or lots of big soft moguls. Anyone know which side of the valley will be best first thing in the morning? Looking for a gentle start for Mrs V.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Gored, I'm sitting in my apartment having just popped to Mpreis and it feels cold and the pavements are icy, temperatures are going down, will post pictures if it snows Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Valkyrie, when heading up to Hinterglemm we like to warm up on the blues of the Spieleck 6, which you take after the Hochalm lift, first thing these should be OK, later they will have had the sun , when we do land up there in warm afternoon conditions we tend to take the Hochalm lift back down.

Another run we like is 30/31 on to 31a of the Zwolferkogel (12er KOGEL), it's a bit higher up.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@DHardman, we are out on 21st aswell, whilst as usual like an plank I look daily at the webcams and get a little disappointed that everywhere isn’t under 10 foot of snow and dumping it down, the reality is wait until about Wednesday of the week we are going, the forecasts whilst not guaranteed will be more reliable of what we can expect on arrival and so on as the week goes on
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Failing to plan, is planning to fail, more commonly used in business, but it also applies to getting tables at the chicken man.

Sunday and Wednesday booked for our visit at the end of the month!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm arriving to Saalbach a week from today, skiing solo since my partner is reluctant to even try her first lesson.
I am confident this week will make it even better.
If anyone is looking for company, PM me.
And a stupid question: regarding the 7 days winter hiker pass (for her), it says 2 rides per day. Is it an ascent and a descent, or 2 ups and their returns? She plans winterwegs and to meet at a recommended Apres for late lunch

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 7-01-23 18:26; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ribblevalleyblue, I am intrigued, who is the chicken man? Blush
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

my partner is reluctant to even try her first lesson.

that's a great shame; you must be disappointed. Is that a private lesson with a recommended instructor? the best possible start.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ribblevalleyblue, thanks for the prompt! I have been instructed by my daughter that its a must and that I cannot fail in my mission to secure a table ! Skullie

@drporat, https://www.hendl-fischerei.at/en/ known on snowheads as the chicken man
snow report
@drporat, over in Leogang area at the top , the restaurant is called Hendl Fischerei, very upmarket now, but originally was a man selling just spit roast half chicken and ribs and you sat on tables out in the open there was no restaurant, if it was snowing bad weather he didn’t open
snow report
@drporat, the half roast chicken and ribs remain, simply served but fantastic, now at least 3 if not 4 times what they used to cost, but the views, chilled music and ambience in my view cannot be beaten in the whole area
ski holidays
@pam w, thanks but she is afraid of falling. She enjoys morning walks on the mountain and meeting there for a late lunch and I am more than OK with shorter days when she comes along Very Happy
@radar, @ribblevalleyblue, many thanks. Looks awesome but I don't see it's accesible from Saalbach for non skiers.
Any other recommendations that might be relevant in our case?
snow report
Those "simple" chickens-on-a-spit have become super expensive in France, too, especially if they have pretensions to being "poulets fermiers". Sounds a good lunch though, especially with the music.
snow conditions
@drporat, chicken man for non skiers is doable.

Two of our group have their 3 year old daughter with them this year, previous visits childless.

But the love of the Hendl Fischerei means she will get the bus from Saalbach to Zell em See with their daughter on Wednesday and then catch the train to Leogang.

Up the gondola and the chicken man is next to the exit.

Husband has taken one for the team and will ski over !
snow conditions
@ribblevalleyblue, bus to zell and then train to Leogang... And return, of course!
All that effort can't be dissed. Respect.
Now I am darn curious, we'll have to do it.
Thanks mate.
ski holidays
@ribblevalleyblue, Are you flying from Manchester on the 21st? I'm guessing Ribble Valley - Lancs? We're on the early Ryanair flight @6.15am Eh oh! haha.
snow report
@drporat, Any other recommendations that might be relevant in our case?

If you like the look of and not too uncomfortable with the prices at Hendl Fischerei, then try https://montana-royal.at/

Kohlmaisbahn, lift out of the centre of Saalbach (and home of some of the best apres ) non skiers can access, it is at the exit of the gondola. My wife and then 4 year old son, did that in 2020.
ski holidays
For après-ski for non-skiers I would recommend the Hinterhag Alm (go up on the short Turm chair lift, at the cost of a few euros - 2 or 3 last time I took a non-skier up there), and he Soul House (no lift required). The banging, monotonous house music at the Montana Royal Alpin Club has been known to drive me out within ten minutes. One man’s meat…
latest report
@DHardman, Are you flying from Manchester on the 21st? I'm guessing Ribble Valley - Lancs? We're on the early Ryanair flight @6.15am Eh oh! haha.

Now live in the sowth, the ribblevalley is where my heart still is!

2 of our group are flying from Manchester on 0845 flight with jet2, I’m on the 0715 out of London city and waiting for the 2 northerners for an hour or so and then we have private taxi/van booked. Hoping to get on slopes at 3pm for a free ski (pass for the following day gives you free skiing from 3pm day before) bit of warm up with a few runs up the Kohlmais and then a bar crawl down the mountain from the Montana Royal, ending up in the wonderful Burgi’s.

Rest of group are with Crystal from Luton/Gatwick and an ETA of 7/8pm, that’s why I’m a DIY’er!
snow conditions
For ease i’ll refer it as the chicken man also …… can you just pop in for a drink? Is there no chance of a table for food without pre booking?
snow conditions
@Gilly28, yes, it’s just like any mountain bar or restaurant - you can pop in for a drink, or a meal, as you wish. I’ve most often eaten in there without pre booking. I’ve only booked a table when it’s a special occasion, E.g. Christmas lunch or someone’s birthday.
And bear in mind that there are three floors, which many people don’t realise, as you have to go outside and down an exterior flight of stairs to access the (concealed) bottom floor.
latest report
@tatmanstours, Thanks! Looks gorgeous, just don’t like to be tied.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ribblevalleyblue, @tatmanstours,
Many thanks for your recommendations.
latest report
@Gilly28, if you don’t have a booking best to arrive outside of 12-1400 if you want to eat in my experience. You may well be able to just wander up, but can also find it’s booked up. I often enjoy a late lunch at about 1500 then ski down. I’ve even occasionally spotted a chap with a Tatmam baseball cap at his Stammtisch… Wink
latest report
@drporat, other recommendations, Genus12 mid station kogel12er, Montana royal top of Kholmais, Wiseralm top of the Reiterkogel, Xandl-Stall you can walk there, if you are using the ski bus then the Kogel12 stop is what you need.
snow report
One further, possibly final thought on the Chicken Man. If it’s too crowded and booked up, Leogang is blessed with some of the best mountain restaurants in the entire area - the words “lost for choice” are probably appropriate.
I refer to the Alte Schmiede, the Asitzbräu, the Stöcklalm, the Forsthofalm (Holzhotel), and the Kralleralm. All have a more varied and arguably more attractively priced menu than the Chicken Man.
ski holidays
@drporat, I asked the tourist office about the sun ticket for the non skiers in our group and below is their response thats confirms 2 ascents and 2 descents per day.

the sun ticket includes daily 2 x ascent and 2 x descent but without ski equipment.
snow report
Awesome, I am eager to finally make it to Saalbach.
Many thanks, folks Little Angel
snow report
@drporat, the Xandl-Stal is cash only, though they do have a cash point , €2 charge for withdrawal.
There is a bank cashpoint at the 12er Kogel lift station , the bottom one
snow report
@drporat, I'm around the area that week and will spend some time in the Saalbach valley. There are a few others who are skiing solo that week I think so a group will probably form (or constantly miss each other by a matter of minutes.....).
snow conditions
Any recommendations for ski hire? We're staying near the Schattberg X-press. Also pre book online or just rock up?
snow report
For that location, Hansi's is one of several options. Wherever you go, I'd prebook to be sure they have what you want, unless you're happy to ski on anything in the shop
snow report
@ribblevalleyblue, oh brill! Sounds like you know saalbach pretty well. It's out first time! Can you recommend a decent pub/bar for football in the evenings? Cheers!
latest report
ousekjarr wrote:
For that location, Hansi's is one of several options. Wherever you go, I'd prebook to be sure they have what you want, unless you're happy to ski on anything in the shop

Not for me as I'll be riding my K2 Simple Pleasures mostly I imagine. I'm pretty sure any decent piste ski will suffice - I think the question was more around getting the best deal. I'll pass the recommendation along, thank you.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy