Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Avoriaz / Morzine / Les Gets / Chatel - 2011/12 snowreport

Poster: A snowHead
Wow,
At this time of year we have our usual nightmare of waiting and watching to see where's good for our hol - on 14 Jan. It sounds as if there are incredible amounts of snow - is it so good and with a good enough base that it's a pretty safe bet to book up ? Or wait and watch ? Cheers and enjoy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
paulmags, book snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Excellent day with DallyPaul, carolh and partners in Plaine Dranse / Pre la Joux / Linga. Humoungous amounts of snow. Run of the day has to be Renards.

Fall of the day to DallyPaul wink

Do be careful off-piste - there are some very obvious instabilities out there.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Still dumping
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Boquetin is now open, and boy was it magic today! One large powder field, untracked for my first run.
It is snowing again now, will it ever stop.....paulmags, Book Now!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I was meant to be skiing in Les Gets tomorrow but ditched it to plough on in the office ... not sure whether what I am feeling is stupid or sick Puzzled
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
has it been snowing all day again?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Most of the day yes, a couple of hours without, but a lot has come down, it is really coming down now, so tommorrow will be magic!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
zzz, I did say leave off the jalapenos. Your ablutions are no interest of mine.

Been dumping in chamonix too.

The snowblower has givem up in disgust.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
zzz wrote:
Still dumping

The snow on my balcony has developed a cornice! A section has "avalanched" snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
...and it's still dumping...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Friends up in Avoriaz text me this morning and said ' enough of the snow please, can we have some sun' text backed ' dont be so ridiculous lol!! Laughing Laughing

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 21-12-11 19:57; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
....a lot!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spent all day teach Fiance up around Lindarets - pleased to say conditions still excellent and he remains my fiance despite "squabbles". Had a lovely lunch in Marmottes, a bracing grappa and then back out in the afternoon for a few red runs!

He has BIG problems with steaming up glasses and goggles - any suggestions? (other than laser eye or contact lenses, he wont hear of it!)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nadenoodlee wrote:
He has BIG problems with steaming up glasses and goggles - any suggestions? (other than laser eye or contact lenses, he wont hear of it!)

Crap answer, but mrs paulio has this problem as well, and after several pairs of different goggles all claiming 'anti fog' technnology, and some special fluid that we rubbed into the lenses, nothing worked. Tell him to stop breathing or something.
snow report
Nadenoodlee wrote:

RainX is one idea; I have some similar stuff that you rub on like a crayon then polish off which works a treat, but I can't remember what it's called. Googling 'anti fog crayon' didn't help, other than this thread from a welding forum - apparently Harley Davidson dealers are the people to go to.
ski holidays
rolling eyes rolling eyes not had one text from friends up in Avoriaz today, me thinks the snow has moved on and might be a bluebird day, oh well off to M & S to fight a few
trollies!! Skullie
latest report
Light looks very flat on the webcams - a day for the trees I think
latest report
what web cam are you looking at as the Avoriaz ones are not working again, thanks.
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee
This is what you are after http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eyewear-Sunglasses-SnowBoard-MotorCycle-Eyewear/dp/B002VKVOVG/ref=sr_1_6?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1324551361&sr=1-6&tag=amz07b-21 - got it in my stocking last year. I remember using it several times but don't remember the result, which probably means it worked ok. It is always 'up to a point' since if you reduce airflow by for example wearing a scarf / neckband which directs your warm breath upwards no amount of coating is going to overcome basic physics.
ski holidays
The melt-freeze line moved up to around 1200/1300m overnight and it's gently raining in the village.

Went to Mont Chery this morning and it was a very bad choice. Stevie Wonder weather at the top with zero, and I mean zero, visibility (MrsFS said that she needed to swap her orange ski poles for a white stick). We tried our luck on one of the blacks on the front, which was now been partially pisted on the section that had the ditches. Very, very, very heavy snow. Leg-breaker stuff.

One run top to bottom was enough to confirm that it's time to take a rest day.

I was thinking that we should have gone higher, but bumped into zzz and Mrszzz in the Intersport car park. They'd gone higher and given up for lack of visibility and concerns about snow stability.

The good news is that some rain into the snow is going to consolidate it nicely, work out instabilities and give a really nice base.

I'm in a glass-half-full sort of mood Toofy Grin
snow report
Nadenoodlee wrote:

Nadenoodlee, Smith do some Over The Glasses goggles that incorporate a fan, which is supposed to help. Details here.

I doubt you can buy them in Morzine, but I noticed that Beanies on Rue du Bourg sell Smith goggles and will probably be able to order them in for you. Alternatively there's t'internet.
snow report
Kiters, This is a good resource:

http://homepage.tudelft.nl/01q3u/skidomain/portesdusoleil/webcams.html

Pretty much all the PDS webcams in one place. Sometimes need to click into the individual cameras to get the latest shot and always take note of the date stamps!
ski holidays
does anyone know when the parks will open up morzine or les gets (not avoriaz Smile)?
latest report
cantridepete, I always misread your name as 'centipede'.

"The Human Cantridepete"
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee, After throwing insane amounts of money at the over glass goggles/ fan assisted goggles/ potions/ lotions/ and traditional chinese medicine (shouting and swearing a lot) a chum abandoned the whole idea and wears contacts.

You can get some very good daily disposables these days that your eyes don't need to get used to so toh could just use them for skiing.
snow report
paulio wrote:
cantridepete, I always misread your name as 'centipede'.

"The Human Cantridepete"

haha terrible film, although i do intend to watch the 2nd edition soon Skullie
ski holidays
Rained all day today in Les Gets and in Morzine.
I also fail to understand how Morzine cannot open half the runs when everyone else has.
Anyway, get the rain out of here and a bit of snow forcast for the weekend and I will be happy for next week.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chattonmill, frozen rubbers mate wink
latest report
Don't rub the inside of your goggles as they're usually lined with anti fog stuff which is apparently irreplaceable.

Don't put them up on your head if you stop as this makes them fog up.

The only other tip I know, which I presume most people also know is to hold them a few inches off your face while moving to defog them.
latest report
FlyingStantoni, Oo'er sounds....err...interesting!
ski holidays
I got some Muc-Off anti-fog this year, so I'll let everyone know if that does the trick. I used to use anti-fog on a motorcycle helmet visor and that always worked a treat, so we shall see where I am with that with the ski goggles. Also and this may not be to everyone's taste.... When you go diving as in scuba before descending you always spit into your mask and rub the spit in/around before quickly dunking the mask in the water quickly and putting it on. That makes a world of difference when diving but I never tried that with ski goggles. I imagine the sub-zero temperatures and lack of water around would make it problematic. One other thing that makes a big difference when diving is whether you washed your mask with Ferry before or not. I think it's got to do with removing dust / fat particles that absorb moisture and give it something to stick to, i.e. lead to the surface fogging up. Anyone tried any of these?
snow conditions
Ladies and gentlemen, we are pleased to announce the arrival of blue skies and visibility!

We had a ski around Avoriaz today - Linderats, Arare and Fornet. We didn't really venture onto Hauts Forts, although we dropped down to the Grandes Combes chair. There's a big melt-freeze process going on and snow below 2000/1800m is hard-packed and, frankly, not that nice to ski on right now. The off-piste below this level is now re-frozen rubble and you need to be really very keen indeed to bother with it.

The snow in Fornet is great and the

Without wanting to sound like anyone's mother...

Do be careful about skiing off-piste at the moment. There has been a lot of naturally-triggered avalanches over the last couple of days and southerly-aspect slopes are particularly unstable.

Just to put this in perspective, four of the off-piste lines I've skied this week are now under avalanche debris.
snow report
Quote:

four of the off-piste lines I've skied this week are now under avalanche debris.

Shocked
snow conditions
Oleg
Saliva has a surfactant property that reduces the surface tension of all the little droplets that cause your mask to fog up so they join up to become a transparent film. When you get a brand new mask you are advised to clean the glass with a mild abrasive such as toothpaste in order to thoroughly degrease the glass surface or the strong beading up effect of water on oily surfaces will never be overcome by the weak surfactant effect of saliva.
I think that underwater you are unlikely to notice the thin film of water on the inside of your mask but in the mountains that same film would freeze, distort the view and probably be contaminated with the remains of breakfast, lunch or that vin chaud you just had Little Angel

Nadenoodlee
Another option is the Top Gun visor/helmet combo - available in various ski shops at an extortionate price. Or a Labrador. Laughing
ski holidays
MontriondSkier wrote:
Saliva has a surfactant property that reduces the surface tension of all the little droplets that cause your mask to fog up so they join up to become a transparent film. When you get a brand new mask you are advised to clean the glass with a mild abrasive such as toothpaste in order to thoroughly degrease the glass surface or the strong beading up effect of water on oily surfaces will never be overcome by the weak surfactant effect of saliva.

I'm trying to work out whether this is a genuine world-class Top Tip or a total wind up.

Toothpaste, rly?
latest report
paulio wrote:

I'm trying to work out whether this is a genuine world-class Top Tip or a total wind up.

Toothpaste, rly?

Never tried it on my ski masks, but works like a charm for Scuba.
ski holidays
Mr NN was licking his glasses but it did seem to work! Lets see if these new googles+ gob work! Charming! Although as he is now working on Christmas Day I have no idea when we will get out next - booo hiss to people chosing to travel on Xmas Day you Christmas ruining peasants!
snow conditions
Paulio
British Sub-Aqua Club National Instructor No 210 - I know what I'm talking about underwater at least Little Angel
Above water, I'm not convinced of the surfactant properties of saliva with a hint spagetti carbonara, garlic bread and vin chaud Puzzled
latest report
MontriondSkier, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy