Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria Snow Report 2011/12

Poster: A snowHead
alex_heney, make sure you bag a locker at the bottom of the Brandstadl lifts to save carrying your kit back to the hotel every day. Although you can ski down to the lifts sometimes, it is a long hike from your hotel to the top of the blue piste down to the Brandstadl lifts.

Looking good for some freshies soon to top up the slopes!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Everywhere Samerberg Sue ? Well, not everywhere, I only really care about Radstadt wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Timberwolf, just about everywhere! Toofy Grin But as I'm in Radstadt as of Saturday, I'm particularly hoping it will be good in that neck of the woods! Decided to sneak in an extra week at the last minute as the work situation is too boring to contemplate!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Samerberg Sue, Radstadt will do nicely thanks. Madeye-Smiley Timberwolf, When are you there ?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
geepee, 22-29 Jan. Coincide with a trip of yours ?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Timberwolf, No, sorry, I'm out for a week from the 7th, but enjoy. snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ghost Dog wrote:
Anyone stayed at the Maximillian in Soll, we are arriving there Saturday?

Sorry not stayed there but loved ski-ing in Soll! Look forward to a snow update.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Samerberg Sue is dead right. Much better to use the lockers in the ski hire shop at the lift base station. The boot racks have individual heaters, marvellous! The ski storage facilities at the Waldrand are basically an unlocked, unheated shed!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
queen bodecia,

Thank's for info. I am so looking forward to meeting that big dog. Very Happy

I booked with Crystal but they wouldn't fly from Doncaster Airport so settled for Manchester. Doncaster is well close to us and so handy. Was a bit annoyed that we couldn't fly from there this year although we have flown from there to Salzburg in previous years. But hey ho I am just looking forward to it now.

Have a nice holiday and Happy skiing. Toofy Grin

Moonshine
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
alex_heney, Very Happy

It seems a long way from Wales to EMA? I've considered EMA too but opted for Manchester as it is an early morning flight. I am hopeing to get ski hire sorted and lift pass collected so that we maybe able to get a couple of runs in on that Saturday.

Yeah hope for some fresh snow and let us know how you got on when you get back please. Very Happy

Anyway, not long now and hopefully everything is going to be ok. Happy skiing. Toofy Grin

moonshine
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
moonshine, It's a bit closer than either Manchester oir Gatwick, both of which I have flown from before for ski trips Smile

I reckon about 2.5 hours in the middle of the night.

The flight from EMA leaves at 7AM, due to land at 10, so should be in resort sometime between midday and 1PM And I have my own skis, so just a case of buying the lift pass.

BTW, it is cheaper for a 7 day pass than to get a 6 day one plus a 13:00 or 14:00 onwards one. If you aren't ready to start until 15:00, the 6 day pass is effective from 15:00 on the previous day.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
alex_heney, hope you have a good trip to the airport. I didn't think it is closer to you.

I have pre-booked ski hire and the liftpass with crystal. I do hope that I can get on the slope in the afternoon when we get there. I didn't know about the 7day pass being cheaper than a 6day one. I will bear that in mind next time we are there. Thanx for letting me know.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Had another good day's skiing in Fieberbrunn today although the weather wasn't always of the most enjoyable kind. It snowed for most of the day (about 20-30 cms, I think), sometimes more, sometimes less, and it was cold and wet on the face at times. However, it did make for great snow, powdery on a hard base, some pistes bumpy, light powder alongside the pistes. The Reckmoos lifts weren't working (I think). The area was quite busy but the lift queues weren't bad (almost non-existent). For a change here's a sledging photo, Dutch kids hurtling down from the Streuböden (we did manage to rescue a sled that threatened to race off after its rider had fallen off)...

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just got back from a weeks skiign in Zell and must say how much of a great time we had.
Snow for the first3 days and then out came the sun and it was blue skies all the way.
All the runs were open by the time we left and a good base of snow is now covering the mountains.
With this our first trip to Austria i found it a much warmer place (Not just the weather) than France with lots of smiles good food and beer and an all round great country.
The drive was a bit on the long side as we live up north but being able to take all the presents, skis and 4 people was a great treat.

Kev Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
drunken rock monkey, Welcome to the austrian ski experience, been going for years now, smiles (except the odd lift man), good food and beer and great slopes certainly make a good holiday in my mind.
ski holidays
drunken rock monkey, Welcome to the wonderful world of Gemuetlichkeit and happy lifties wink Be warned, Austria and the Austrian experience is very, very addictive! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
drunken rock monkey, Another convert here Toofy Grin Just back from a second trip to Soll,and it was fantastic.Sun for the first 3 days,but they had snow prior so piste conditions were excellent.Then it snowed...and snowed...and it kept on coming!Was snowing hard when we left this morning.Anyone going out next week is going to have a ball.Just pi$$ed its not me Sad
Having skied France for a good few years,I cant help but compare.Dont get me wrong,I've had some excellent times in France..but..........Austria has a certain something?Most definately a friendlier atmosphere,better mountain resto's IMHO,and overall better value.It all feels much calmer,even the snowboarders are polite Shocked
latest report
snowskisnow, We're off to Soll in 5 weeks. I skied there 30 years ago and then went back last year and just loved it there that there was no choice for this year's holiday!! Was the ski-ing good right down to village level?
snow conditions
RetroBod, I'm out there next week, so don't have personal experience of current conditions, but when they are reporting 1m at the top, 70cm at the base, and 50cm in the village, I think it will be pretty good all the way down.

That is a little more than there was at this time last year, and conditions were pretty good when I was there then.
snow conditions
RetroBod, Conditions excellent everywhere Very Happy By village I presume you mean to the Gondola station? Though there is about a foot of snow over the cow field heading for the island at the bottom of the road.In fact,a piste basher has laid down a track off the bottom of the drag,and down the field.
This was my second trip to Soll,but it wont be my last.I'm told a lot has changed over the years.Its reputation as a drinking mecca has faded away(fortunately wink )Sure,the bars are still there,but it all seems very civilised,and certainly family friendly.A lot of link tracks have been created,though some are hard to find as the piste map is not the best Confused

alex_heney, Perfect timing.....enjoy snowHead
ski holidays
snowskisnow, Not sure what RetroBod meant, but when it gives three values on the SkiWelt web site, listed as Mountain (100), Valley (70) and City (50), I would expect the City to mean in the actual village. In Scheffau this makes a difference because there is a run down from the village to the gondola (though whether I'll use it after Saturday depends on a couple of factors).

Note that the 50cm has only been showing for the last couple of days - prior to that it said 20cm. the Mountain and City values went up by 30cm for yesterday morning's readings over the previous day, while the Valley value went up by 20cm.

It looks like there is significantly more predicted for Wed-Fri this week as well Smile
snow report
My friends and I have had another three enjoyable days skiing, in three different areas, with mixed weather and snow conditions.

On Saturday we skied on the Buchensteinwand, the small area of Pillersee lifts between St. Jakob in Haus/St. Ulrich and Hochfilzen. It snowed for most of the day, so there was plenty of fresh powder. Here a view of the T-bar Hochfilzen I and the beginners' area there with the snow falling...

We returned from the slopes about four o'clock and cleared the driveway then. But by eight o'clock, when we went out again, the work had to be repeated. So, as a (somewhat belated) New Year's greeting to all snowHeads, here a photo of me hard at work in my Sylvester/Hogmanay dress, clearing the couple of hours' snowfall...

Sadly by midnight, the snow had turned to rain but that didn't spoil our enjoyment of the evening and a good fireworks display.

With temperatures having risen, on Sunday we looked for height and made for Pass Thurn at the southern end of the Kitzbühel ski area. We parked in Jochberg and skied from there to the Hartkaser lift, to lunch in the Panoramaalm. The slopes were very quiet. Snow conditions were completely different from the day before, the pistes now being rather soft. Off-piste was heavy and stodgy, so we didn't try much. The photo below was taken looking south from the Jagawurzhütte above Jochberg...

Today we had great snow but perhaps we "cheated" by going to the glacier on the Kitzsteinhorn. Here the pistes were in great condition and quite busy (though the lift queues weren't bad). The weather was mostly fine, though with a chilly wind at times. This picture was taken at Langwied, with the Gletscherjet 2 gondola on the left and the Langwied chairlift to the right. A few people skied down off-piste below the chairlift but we didn't attempt that, the moguls (and other skiers) on the Langwied piste were enough for us.

Although the weather had been good for skiing, even with occasional patches of blue sky, by the time we left Kaprun about eight o'clock it was pouring with rain. Ugh! However, it should become colder again later in the week.
latest report
The last two days of my friends' visit brought more enjoyable skiing with completely different weather conditions.

Yesterday we skied on the Loferer Alm. The weather was superb, blue cloudless skies. The area was very busy with lift queues that were a bind. But I suppose it was one of the busiest days of the year. Snow was mostly fine but with some hard, icy-ish patches. The "home run" down into Lofer was less chaotic than I had feared, though there were crowds of skiers on the piste. The photo, taken from the Family Express chairlift, shows the typical Loferer Alm "autobahns".

Today we had first thought of going to Maria Alm and the Hochkönig but, with bad weather forecast and it already raining when we were setting out, we stayed nearer home and went to St. Johann in Tirol instead. The weather wasn't great and occasionally misty enough for me to lose the piste but in the end it wasn't as bad as I had feared and there were even patches of blue sky in the afternoon (although it was snowing lightly when we drove home). The snow conditions were generally as at the Loferer Alm, mostly good but with some icy, worn patches. Off-piste wasn't great, tracked and difficult. St. Johann was also busy but the only lift with queues was the Harschbichl gondola.

On Saturday there are a World Cup Ski Cross races in St. Johann (starting about 16:00 at the Bauernpenzing lift). We were able to see the preparations on the course.

snow conditions
espri, that top photo looks very familiar! I love Lofer, have been a couple of times for short breaks, it's looking good! Roll on Saturday, we're off to Maria Alm snowHead
ski holidays
espri wrote:

Today we had great snow but perhaps we "cheated" by going to the glacier on the Kitzsteinhorn. Here the pistes were in great condition and quite busy (though the lift queues weren't bad). The weather was mostly fine, though with a chilly wind at times. This picture was taken at Langwied, with the Gletscherjet 2 gondola on the left and the Langwied chairlift to the right. A few people skied down off-piste below the chairlift but we didn't attempt that, the moguls (and other skiers) on the Langwied piste were enough for us.

There was around 15 cm fresh snow on Tuesday, the wind also blew a far amount of snow from the top down the mountain too so it was deeper in places. Spent most of the day skiing offpiste under those lifts. snowHead
snow report
Just back from Zellamsee , great snow and not as busy, we thought ,as other years but yesterday it was packed ..there were LOADS of Russians and a lot of them needed ski instruction! Good snow right down to City Express .
snow report
feefee wrote:
Roll on Saturday, we're off to Maria Alm snowHead

Should be good - more snow promised. Enjoy it!
latest report
alex_heney, We will be in ellmau from the 23rd so as moonshine said - leave us some snow! It's been a long wait since september when i booked the flights and conditions look pretty good...so fingers crossed it will be something similar when we get there. Hopefully, there'll be some fresh falls between now and then as well.

moonshine, and fellow skiwelt visitors/lovers, the rest of the freshlegs' will be in ski school for most of the week so if you fancy meeting up one of the days for a few hours skiing let me know.

espri, Samerberg Sue, I know you're not too far away so if you happen to be in the area and wouldn't mind me tagging along, it would be great to meet up. It would also mean I could (buy you a beer to) thank you for all of the great posts and info that gets me through the long months of waiting!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
freshlegs wrote:
espri, Samerberg Sue, I know you're not too far away so if you happen to be in the area and wouldn't mind me tagging along, it would be great to meet up. It would also mean I could (buy you a beer to) thank you for all of the great posts and info that gets me through the long months of waiting!

That sounds good Smile Send me a PM nearer the time and we can probably arrange something.
latest report
freshlegs, sorry, but I'm in Radstadt that week with some other snowHeadss. Maybe next time around though.
ski holidays
alicia wrote:
Just back from Zellamsee , great snow and not as busy, we thought ,as other years but yesterday it was packed ..there were LOADS of Russians and a lot of them needed ski instruction! Good snow right down to City Express .

Thanks alicia, I'm headed out on Saturday!
snow conditions
freshlegs, Very Happy

I have never stayed in Ellmau but it looks brilliant. We are going to be in Scheffau and no doubt will ski to Ellmau and all the other areas in the Ski Welt. We can't wait and I am so excited even though I have been to the Ski Welt last year. Very Happy
We are not in the Ski school. We ski at our own pace and I like to look at the scenery and just enjoy it. The other half is a bit faster than me but I am more a careful skier.
Anyway, where are you flying from and where are you staying.?We love meeting people and enjoy listening to their experience of skiing.
Send me a pm if you like and maybe we could exchange contact details?
moonshine
snow report
espri, Very Happy
Love that picture where you are in a kilt. You look the part there. Very Happy
You are so lucky to ski all the areas and the pictures are brilliant and and a good way to keep us updated.
Thank you very much, Espri and a Happy New Year to you too.
moonshine Very Happy
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue, we'll be back in March for a few days so I'll give you a shout then.

espri, moonshine, I'll PM you and hopefully we can meet up.

Flying into Munich from Dublin early on monday morning 23rd and staying in an apartment on the hartkaiserbahn side of the village right beside the nursery slope. It was based on a local recommendation and I went to see it while I was there on last years trip and it was great so I reserved it there and then. It's a first for us and I'm looking forward to it.

I see that it's your second visit. I think we first skied in the skiwelt (Soll) 10 years ago and now we don't go anywhere else. I'm more than happy to tootle around for the day so we'll see if we can arrange something.

Very Happy
snow conditions
Just to let u all know I'm at the elch bar at the top of penken, beer in hand and it's duuuuuuuuumpinh
snow report
Seriously dumping all over the Ski Amadé region right now. High winds are closing the upper lifts early but as we were skiing down it did not matter.
snow report
Now staying with the gf's family in the Salzkammergut, having finished my couple of weeks in Japan, I mean Saalbach. I've never in my life seen such heavy and consistent snowfall. I've skied more powder int he last few weeks here in Austria than the last few seasons. It's been absolutely nuts. Digging the car out to try and leave the amount of snow was absolutely mind-blowing. The snow may have been a bit late, but this has been an epic season so far!!

Maybe a bit too much snow from this last storm though, a lot of the lifts in Saalbach were closed, and I gather roads have been closed in many places due to high avalanche risk. Back in Innsbruck tomorrow, although apparently people have been evacuated form nearby the flat due to avi risk, and you're not supposed to go far from your house! Will see if I get one more ski day before going back to Scotland...
snow conditions
I can only confirm clarky999's experience. After a couple of nights in Munich (virtually no snow there) I came back to Fieberbrunn and had to shovel 50 cm of new snow out the way to get my car into the garage - about four hours' sweat. Snow is wonderful Laughing Laughing Laughing

ORF (Austrian Television) reports power cuts and another 70 cm snow on the way.
snow conditions
Crikey, the Austrian weather has just made the 8 o'clock news on Radio 4!
latest report
Hi Folks has much snow fallen in tIROL
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy