Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian Snow Report 2007/2008

Poster: A snowHead
WOO HOO!
Ive just been reading lots of Negitive Weather forcasts on snow heads and im flapping a little bit.

And dont worry i have every intention of giving a thougher report on resort, bars, hotel, and plenty of pics! ::

Ps, who are SCGB?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Karl Moto wrote:

Ps, who are SCGB?

Ski Club of Great Britain
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ahh
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Possibility of a few flakes on the 5th Jan ( 3cm predicted.... if thats out to go by) Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi - Im going to Rauris 12-19th Jan (nr Zell Am See & Gasteinertal valley) - with the wet and warmer weather being predicted over the next few days/week do you think there is a chance of the base currently 45cm at 950m being washed away? Been soo smug about the amount of snow there - now starting to panic - its ok for me and wife we can go up on mountain but young son will be on nursery slope first couple of days
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Garethb, You can spend hours and hours going through weather reports checking for changes in forecasts go on weather thread and get caught up in all the diy predictions! But remember there is not one single thing anyone can do to change it. Last year we skied on mud grass ice and the little snow available and guess what it was great Very Happy So dont worry kids dont care they just have a great time!! Its already tons better than last year and I bet it snows again before you go Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
joshua wrote:
Last year we skied on mud grass ice and the little snow available and guess what it was great Very Happy

AMEN to that.... best holiday I ever had was picking my down through the flora and fauna trying to get back to Kirchberg in similar conditions - came home covered in mud - best holiday I ever had, met my future ex-wife.... rolling eyes
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lets see more of these positive vibes. We're off to Soll on 12th and all this doom has been getting to me, all credit to your optimism. Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think you might all be right - already loads of snow - Austria is a stunning country - what ever happens will be great holiday! Even if theres just 5-10cm of snow in the valley my son will love it (his eyes will pop with excitement when he goes in the gondola). By the way you are definitely right about spending too much time on the weather reports - they changed again today compared to yesterday!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
its getting quite warm Sad
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just back from Kaprun.
Had a pretty good week but in need of a feshen up for sure.

Piste is starting to get hard and icy and high winds closed many of the lifts on the glacier.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arrived in Serfaus yesterday, just looked out window and it's snowing!! That's a bit of a relieve because all the forecasts have been for Rain so it's looking good for the morning.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Had our first day sking today, it snowed loads and all the pistes where good. GOOD NEWS!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just back from Zell am See yesterday. Lots of snow, conditions were perfect Very Happy We had heavy snow on new years eve, in fact I think it snowed all night, we spent all evening having snowball fights and building a snowman!! Our first skiing holiday where we actually had snow at village level.
I'm no expert but others were saying there is enough snow there now to last for ages, and there is more forecast this week! snowHead Ignore the doom mongers and look forward to your holidays, you will have a great time.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
the long term forecast is currently showing a dip in the temps and lots of precipation around the 12th of this month so you may well be in luck and find it's snowing when you arrive snowHead
snow conditions
Arrived back from Finkenberg/Mayrhofen today after 10 days away, snow was 10cm each on last Sunday/Monday, then minimal snowfall for the rest of the week. Pistes were in great condition, except on snowfall days when they got rutted/mogulled by the end of the day, but the piste bashers were out in force overnight and by first lift it was all soft icing again. Visibility was excellent on all days except when it was snowing, when it was down to 20 feet in places, but with later clearance. Yesterday a major thaw set in, but the forecasts are looking good for that being a temporary blip.

The coverage on the mountains was patchy in places though - over a metre on the main pistes, but some higher runs showing grass and rocks due to what we assumed was wind damage rather than lack of snow. Winds were light/none except on Thursday, when some of the higher lifts on Eggalm were closed, making our day out to that area slightly limited. The main Penken runs were as always exceptionally crowded from noon on Wednesday, but anyone who knows the area or can read a piste map can easily find somewhere else to play which has more variety and challenge anyway. We included a morning on the Ahorn to avoid the lift queues from Mayrhofen after dropping our son off for the day at the excellent Wuppy's Kinderland, and there were maybe 300 people on the whole mountain, of whom we saw about 10 on the 5Km run into town. Coverage on the 2 home runs into the valley was as expected for the time of year - minimal to none, though the tracks through the brown ice suggested that some had tried it. The probably walked the last 500 metres at least.

Now to start planning our March weekender...
ski holidays
Any more updates from the land of palacial mountain restaurant toilets, Gluhwein and questionable leather clothing??

Yes I know it's only been three days but would love an update - how's the milder weather affecting things?

Am off to Hochkonig region a week on Friday!

D
snow report
Just skied at obertauren today. Fantastic conditions, piste in a1 conditions and some decent 10cm of fluffy stuff to be found off the piste,last snowed moday i think. My first trip to obertauern, most impressed, I'm always looking to be off the piste and there are plenty of obvious routes, you do notice the vertical being a little limited as the chairlifts all seem quite short, but not really a problem. I assume Hochkonig will be in good shape, i'm based in schladming and plenty of snow down to valley. Warm weather has probably improved the piste conditions, even after a little rain. Snow forecast for the weekend Very Happy
snow report
waynos, cheers for the update. We spent new year in Obertauern a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it, apart from as you say you do notice the lack of vertical, but I did like the variety of different pistes there and really enjoyed the high bowls, as well as the 'bottom end' of the circuit, i.e. on the Carinthia side of the town, where the FIS run is. Was also good for me as a newbie off-pister, because there was plenty of non-scary off-piste, i.e. you could see where you would end up, and that there would be a lift there!

Good news that Schladming is in good shape down to the valley, Hochkonig is looking good on the cams (and very quiet, I assume they are keeping the pistes until after my visit!) but it's always good to hear from people on the ground.

Keep 'em coming!

D
snow report
waynos, thanks for the update - off there on Saturday! Really good to hear the pistes are in good shape snowHead snowHead
snow report
any news on mayrhofen guys?
ski holidays
What's it like in Soll? Snow looks quite good on webcam but as never been before can't compare. Off there saturday.
snow conditions
Looks like a fair bit of snow should fall Sat eve/night for Obertauern, just in time for our arrival Little Angel Little Angel . As I've also had snow alerts for Laax and Kitzbuhel for that period it looks like a general area might be in for a top-up. Lovely! snowHead snowHead
snow report
It is raining in Kitzbuehel today.

The conditions are deteriorating fast.

A good chunk of lifts and slopes have closed, due to lack of snow.

After a brilliant start to the season, things are beginning to look a bit shaky in some lower parts of Austria.
snow report
Whitegold, fine down the road in low altitude schladming, not looking shaky at all. Are you in austria?
snow report
hoofing it down in Kitzbuehel on the webcams rolling eyes
snow report
Snowing up high in Gastein at the moment. It's due in the valley later as the temps from overnight.
ski holidays
It would be nice for it to be a little colder in Austria. It is January after all, and green valleys arent that attractive at this time of year.

However, who am I to moan after the great start to this year? Wink Hopefully the temperature will drop sufficiently for it to dump in the valleys too Wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Markus, i'm with you on that one. The temps could do with a tumble.
snow conditions
Kersh, you going out to Bad Gastein this year?

Mother was out there over New Year, apparently fantastic on-piste conditions, far better than last Feb half term in the Zillertal
ski holidays
Just back from kitzbuhel this afternoon. awesome week skiing. fresh snow last Sat, sun and a little bit monday then sun has been out rest of the week. Good snow still high up, bit tired and icy lower down. hanenkham been closed for race prep all week and resort staring to get busy... snowHead
ski holidays
Evening update from schladming. Rain in town at the moment but looks like snow just up the hill. Just drove back from Salzburg, encountered wet snow / sleet on drive back. Local TV shows 0 at 1100m, -1 at 1300 and -4 at 1800. so quite a drop from day time temps, hopefully not stopped dropping. Plenty of people skiing & sledging down Hochwerzen, open for floodlit skiing til 10:30pm, so I may go get some powder in an hour or so.
snow report
Just back from SAALBACH/HINTERGLEMM.!!

Holiday was Amuzzin! Will report tommorow or the day after.

Conditions where good, but today the snow was getting realy realy soft and there are a few grassy patchs starting to show.

All the piste's are good condition though and the runs are open right to the bottom.

Saalbach realy needs the temps to drop though its too warm!

We skiied the Glacia at Kaprun and the snow was excelent! Loads of powder, like 12inch's of the stuff. The kind of snow you cant make snow balls with!

Hotel Sonnegg was fantastic! anyway more thougher report in a few days!
ski holidays
Snow settled in town this morning, still snowing lightly, should be a powder day in low altitude austria.
ski holidays
Good to hear that it looks like temps have dropped again lower down. Due to a busy week away with work this week, I will be packing for our Friday trip out there today, it's starting to feel real!

Thanks for the regular updates waynos, it's great to hear how things are progressing - you are a hero of snow reporting!

D
snow conditions
Deliaskis,
flying to Innsbruck on Saturday(19th), just checked the 7 day forecast for resort(Finkenberg) and current forecast temperatures of 13Cnext saturday/sunday Exclamation Exclamation
Is the world going mad Puzzled
latest report
This is getting silly!! According to this link for j2ski the temp in Andorra will reach 20 degrees C on Saturday??

http://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/Andorra/Les_Escaldes_snow.html

Think the world has gone mad Freezywater!
snow report
Updated the schladming report - fresh snow today!

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=822815#822815

The long range forecast looks okay here, a bit warm next sat in town but okay higher up

Town : http://www.wetter.at/wetter/oesterreich/steiermark/schladming/

Top : http://www.wetter.at/wetter/sport-freizeit/ski-wetter/oesterreich/steiermark/schladmingplanai
latest report
Back yesterday from the Zillertal area (I skied Mayrhofen, Kaltenbach and Zillertal Arena areas during the week).

We had snow up in the ski areas last Sunday/Monday (6th/7th), but raining in the valley, and quite warm and sunny for the rest of the week.

Snow on the pistes was superb all week, but off piste was pretty tracked out from the look of it, and valley runs were not open apart from Kaltenbach (which was all artificial on the home run).

The base of the valley itself was all completely bare of snow, all week, and the last couple of nights there wasn't even a frost at valley level.

By the Friday, the lowest parts of the available skiing were getting a bit heavy in the afternoon, although it was still soft and light higher up.

As we left on Saturday, it was again raining in the valley, but I believe was snowing quite heavily up in the ski areas.
snow report
Karl Moto, Glad you had a great time, I'm off to saalbach/hinterglemm 23rd feb and staying...in hotel sonnegg!!!! Very Happy Very Happy

I await your TR and opinions with baited breath!
Laughing

Joe

PS some hinta and tips would be really nice too as I've never been to that part of austria before, Ta Puzzled
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy