Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria Snow Report 2011/12

Poster: A snowHead
It's not stopped snowing here in Zell am See for 36 hours and it's still going! Knee deep powder yesterday in fantastic skiing conditions. Avalanche alert very high though for today.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dumpity Dumpity Dumpity Dump, Dudump dump dump!!

Still snowing very heavily, it's absolutely nuts. Seems like all the snow we didn't get last season came in the last three days/is coming in the next two. Down form Nordkette already as due to the hardcore locals even this insane amount of snow is tracked by midday, and the steeper slopes on the upper mountain have been shut due to avi risk.

Have to leave Tirol and head over to Saalbach tomorrow, which seems like a waste, although I will still have a day and a half of playtime before starting work. I know it's been snowing/is snowing there too, anyone in the area know if it's comparable to over here?

I gather tomorrow is going to be a bit clearer (sacrilege I know, but kinda looking forward to being able to see enough to open up the speed/turns, plus the flat light has rendered all my footage useless), before dumping again on Saturday. Then no snow from Sunday (when I start teaching) 'til after New Year - seem to have got the timing right so far!!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It'll be interesting to hear what the conditions are like when you arrive - looking at the cam's it seems snowing and topping up nicely, hard to tell though, be much better to get an on the ground report wink

I've got to wait till the end of Jan before having a look first hand.

Have a good 'un
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What a day! its still snowing here in westendorf (3 days straight?), powder at the sides of the runs up to waist height in places, piste conditions are excellent and there are hardly any people here at all.

all in all, a great week! (if i did have to moan, visibility is low, but not the end of the world)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
clarky. you teaching in saalbach? could do with a lesson, heading out in march
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ooh how excitingn2 weeks til we get to Maria Alm snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jefbenitez wrote:
What a day! its still snowing here in westendorf (3 days straight?), powder at the sides of the runs up to waist height in places, piste conditions are excellent and there are hardly any people here at all.

all in all, a great week! (if i did have to moan, visibility is low, but not the end of the world)

Same here in Mayrhofen area-waist deep in places at the sides of the pistes, hardly anyone about (think tomorrow will be a lot busier though as people seem to be arriving for Christmas week now), piste conditions excellent, even the visibility isn't too bad, I've had a lot worse in the past.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mattiwilkin wrote:
clarky. you teaching in saalbach? could do with a lesson, heading out in march

Hey - I am over Christmas, but not for the full season (last year of uni!), so won't be about in March sadly (or not in Saalbach anyway). Let me know when you're about and what you want from a lesson and I can recommend you some instructors though?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've just had a text from a friend in Hinterglemm - "so much powder you could drown in it and it's still dumping". Yee f'ing hah!!! Roll on Saturday! snowHead snowHead Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
RachelQ, there is loads, yes!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RachelQ, leave some for me, there on the 14th jan
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes, lots of snow, though I have the impression that most of it seems to have landed on my drive-in rolling eyes
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RachelQ, Sweet!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Blue skies, perfect pistes and powder on the side for those that fancy. It. What a fantastic day at Kaltenbach/Hochfugen empty pistes to carve up as you please if you choose the right run. Now my knees hurt and I need red wine to take the pain away
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hippach 3 week tomorrow . let it snow , let it snow , let it snow. snowHead
snow report
Off to hochfugen in new year, hearing varying reports about the snow depths and off piste conditions robapplegate, Are things filling in or is more snow needed Puzzled
latest report
espri wrote:
Yes, lots of snow, though I have the impression that most of it seems to have landed on my drive-in rolling eyes

Don't wear it all out in the next two weeks please snowHead
snow report
In reply to neilski
All pistes Kaltenbach/hochfugen are great condition. Off piste 30-50 cm of pure fluff, bit more forecast then blue sskies till 30th, pity I'm going home boxing day. By new yeat I guess the powder will be well tracked out
latest report
robapplegate, Cheers , hopefully a bit more will fall in the new year for me snowHead
snow conditions
Skied Hochzillertal and Hochfügen today. Pistes were in good condition and fairly quiet (looked like it had snowed yesterday, not bumpy or chopped up, no ice). So much off-piste skiing available (up to half a metre deep) that I had to try some myself. Despite the forecast for a sunny day, only a couple of hours of sunlight and it was mostly overcast and a bit cold.
latest report
nomis2, welcome to snowheads

"Skied Hochzillertal and Hochfügen today. Pistes were in good condition and fairly quiet (looked like it had snowed yesterday, not bumpy or chopped up, no ice). So much off-piste skiing available (up to half a metre deep) "

merry xmas
latest report
After shovelling snow all morning (it had snowed 17cms overnight, making around 70 cm in the past fortnight), I managed a couple of enjoyable hours on the Fieberbunn slopes this afternoon. Pistes in great condition and off-piste good too (though with a few barish patches up on the Hochhörndl). Light was rather flat at times but the sun did come through right at the end. As my Christmas present to myself I had my first run on the new Reckmoos Nord gondola - here the view approaching the middle station with the piste in the background...

Very comfortable it was too. All the lifts were running and, although the car park was full, the pistes were quite quiet. Did see one British car and a British bus.

And, since it's Christmas, here's another photo from the end of the day, looking down the Doischberg piste towards Fieberbrunn village and with the Wilder Kaiser mountains in the background...

Merry Christmas Very Happy
latest report
are those trees accessable at top left of photo 1.
latest report
espri, Very Happy

Merry Christmas to you too.

Very nice pictures and the run in Fieberbrunn looks very good. Wish I was there.
Will be going to Scheffau end of January and I can't wait. Very Happy

Moonshine Very Happy
ski holidays
moonshine wrote:
espri, Very Happy

Merry Christmas to you too.

Very nice pictures and the run in Fieberbrunn looks very good. Wish I was there.
Will be going to Scheffau end of January and I can't wait. Very Happy

Moonshine Very Happy

I'm going there in two weeks time Smile

Whereabouts in Scheffau are you staying?
latest report
espri, THos photos look superb.

You appear to have had a good Christmas Smile
snow report
moosewurst wrote:
are those trees accessable at top left of photo 1.

I have never tried skiing down from the top of that hill (Rabenköpfe) and I'm not sure whether it is easy to get there from the top of the Reckmoos lifts. It is a few metres lower than the lift top station, so maybe it would be possible.

Further down the Reckmoos Nord piste it is possible to cut off through the lower trees (on the right from the piste when skiing down) and sometimes there is good skiing down there parallel to the piste. There is also a little tree skiing across on the other side (on your left coming down) but not visible in the photo.
ski holidays
alex_heney wrote:

Are we going to meet up?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
espri wrote:
alex_heney wrote:

Are we going to meet up?

I hope so, if you are around and willing to do so.

I've certainly thoroughly enjoyed skiing with you in the past.

I'll be arriving in Scheffau on the 7th, so will be skiing properly from the 8th to the 13th.
latest report
alex_heney wrote:
I'll be arriving in Scheffau on the 7th, so will be skiing properly from the 8th to the 13th.

I'll be free all that time, so just give me a buzz.
snow report
Had another enjoyable day, skiing the Kitzbühel Ski Safari, from the Fleckalmbahn at Kirchberg to the Panoramabahn above Pass Thurn (and back) - a sort of Christmas tradition. Did try the new Resterhöhe chairlift at Pass Thurn. Starting out about 10:00, you have to keep moving, especially at this time of year when the 3S lift connecting Jochberg to Kitzbühel/Kirchberg closes at 15:45. However, still had time for lunch at the Toni-Alm by the Panoramabahn (recommended).

Snow conditions pretty good with only a few harder bits where the runs were well worn. Overcast for most of the day, though frustratingly there was blue sky further north and the Kitzbüheler Horn was bathed in sunshine while I struggled to see the bumps. Hardly any lift queues.

Much of the Ski Safari is relatively flat but you can find steeper runs - here under the Zweitausender chairlift, now one of the oldest in the Kitzbühel area...

latest report
alex_heney,

hi

we will be arriving in Scheffau on 21st January and we are staying in the Waldrand Hotel. We have been to Scheffau before and stayed at the Alpin which was superb. Where are you staying?

You will be there a couple of weeks before us so please leave us some snow and don't wear it all out! Hope you get to meet up with Espri and hav a fab time. He has posted some lovely pics lately and conditions do look good. I have been watching the webcams too and can't wait.
Espri certainly gets his fun there and I wish I could be there all the time.

Have a great holiday.
Moonshine
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
moonshine, I stayed at the Waldrand last season. It's quite a basic hotel but the food is excellent and the hosts are very friendly. It's just a short walk up a path behind the Alpin. You'll have a fantastic time.
ski holidays
queen bodecia, Very Happy

Oh that's ok. I don't mind basic as we spend most day on the slopes but we do like the Austrian food. So we will be alright.

Are you out skiing this year anywhere?

Moonshine
ski holidays
moonshine, I'm going to visit the Ski Amade snowHead contingency at the end of Jan. Then going to Cervinia a month later.
snow report
queen bodecia,

lovley. We are hopeing to go in March for another week skiing. Very Happy Don't know where to yet.

Are you flying from East Midlands airport or Manchester?

moonshine
ski holidays
moonshine, I'm staying at the Waldrand too.

I'll try to leave some snow, or maybe the ski gods will dump a bit during the week between me leaving and you arriving Smile

I haven't stayed in Scheffau before, but have stayed just down the road near Ellmau, and have started/ended my day at the Scheffau gondolas a couple of times.
snow report
moonshine, flying from Birmingham and Doncaster respectively. I did fly from EMA to Salzburg last season, but there are only charter flights on that route so it's not possible for my forthcoming short break.

I hope you and alex_heney enjoy the Waldrand. They have a big soppy St Bernard dog called Carlo. Very Happy
ski holidays
moonshine, I'm flying from EMA, although the two you suggest are not nearly the only options for me. Bristol would have been the closest airport for me that Crystal use for Salzburg, but it was at a time that wouldn't have allowed me any skiing on arrival day (And would have cost £60 more).
latest report
Anyone stayed at the Maximillian in Soll, we are arriving there Saturday?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy