Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2008 / 2009

Poster: A snowHead
First flakes of snow have just started to fall in Les Arcs.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar, hurrah - will be out there in 10 days and am looking forward to the promised "ghost town"
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Boris, I don't think it will amount to much unfortunately.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, hey ho - as I mainly cruise the pistes with the family, I think I will be quite happy as it is. Hopefully they will be in reasonable shape once the holiday crowds have gone.

I'm sure I'll have a good time whatever - had plenty of fun 2-years ago at Xmas when snow was very limited!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Boris, piste coverage is very good, just a bit icy. As you say, this should be a bit better when the crowds depart as the pisteurs work overnight is not worn away quite so quickly during the day. I think today's snow will refresh things, but more will probably be needed before you come out to ensure excellent conditions when you're here.

I hope my promise of "ghost-town" lack of crowds holds true, but I'll be in Italy when you're out here so I don't think you'll be able to bang of my door for a refund if I get it wrong Wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, Forecast is anything from 10-30 cm ! more on the 6th.

Tux
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tuxpoo, 30cm would be nice, but I don't think 10cm would make much of a difference to piste conditions. Still very light snow, with the odd patch of blue sky showing through.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dont think the real stuff is coming until around midnight tonight.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
tuxpoo, I hope so, because what we've had so far amounts to pretty much nothing.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, thanks for the updates, Love your Blog, please keep it up - Unable to leave comments on the site, were you aware? Coverage in front of the Chantel blocks looks good, much better than when were were there in January 07, when there were big uncovered areas all over the place!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
furgie, glad you're finding the reports interesting. I'll look into why you can't comment on the blog (I had wondered why my Mum hadn't said anything!). Unfortunately tomorrow will be the last blog report from Les Arcs for a little as I'm back to London for a week then off to Pila in Italy. Not back in Les Arcs until the end of January.

Snow coverage is good on all pistes, it's just that mostly it is hardpack and occasional ice. A reasonable snowfall will soon address that. It's been snowing all day, but only lightly with occasional heavier spells. Hopefully more overnight.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar, was there at the same time last year and it was pretty quiet
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not much to add really to Robs comments although with it being noticeably warmer today at 1600m, then a number of the pistes were generally softer than the "200m of bollox" day earlier in the week. Renard blue (off derby) was really getting quite chopped up by the end of the day, although the pisteurs will knock it flat overnight and the clouds feeel like there's snow in them, so hopefully it will dump hard tomorrow, just in time for Rob to drive home - sorry rob!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bertie bassett wrote:
... just in time for Rob to drive home - sorry rob!

Won't be the first time! Can't complain, I'll be back, as they say.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sitting in the Camnpsite at Bourg St Maurice listening to the patter of rain on the roof of the motorhome. Pretty much all trace of snow at BSM level is now gone, mucky dirt is all that remains. Been raining for 6 hours now. Went to 2000 & 1950 today and it snowed most of the day. Just met a guy in town who drove down from 1950 and he said it was snowing heavy up there. Anyway happy new year!
snow report
Today's snow didn't amount to much, despite snowing pretty much all day. A few centimetres which refreshed the pistes, at least temporarily. New Year's celebrations started, rather bizarrely, with fireworks at 6pm.

More on my blog. Wishing a happy and healthy New Year to all my snowHead friends Smile
snow conditions
rob@rar,

Cheers for the reports. Happy New Year
ski holidays
Happy new year to all in Les Arcs and Bourg

As may be intimated from speeeling, just popped upstairs to keybaord during celebrations here in UK.
snow conditions
Snowing hard at the moment, and has been since about 10pm. Fresh tracks tomorrow. Actually fresh tracks today. Wish I hadnt drtunk quite so much champage.
ski holidays
hey rob, happy new year. your pictures have kept me (relatively) sane for the last month or so.
snow report
Well the fresh tracks were pretty good - probaly no more than a 5cm top-up judging by the car, but it was enough to top up the hard bit's of the piste and to create some off-piste fun to be had. Lift lines were seriously empty - 10am at the derby there was no-one in the queue, but no doubt that changed come the afternoon when a few more of the hung over bugs make there way out.
latest report
What a day! First lift, fresh tracks all day and no lift queues. I've skied myself to a standstill. That was one of my top 5 all time days on skis. Hot bath now, so I'll do a snow report with lots of photos when I've recovered a bit.
snow report
bertie bassett, rob@rar, Great! Happy New Year to you both!
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
What a day! First lift, fresh tracks all day and no lift queues. I've skied myself to a standstill. That was one of my top 5 all time days on skis. Hot bath now, so I'll do a snow report with lots of photos when I've recovered a bit.

Just trying to talk my hubby into another trip in March - think I'll show him your quote - it brought a smile to my face anyway!
Happy skiing - I'll think of you tomorrow when I'm at work!!! Sad
snow report
rob@rar, Sounds great. Off tomorrow to 2000 (will the apartment be as nice as it was on the plans Puzzled ). Driving for 1st time, got your Bourg bypass programmed in sat nav wink . Can't wait. Just hoping like the last 2 years the place ain't full of russian school kids on holidays Crying or Very sad .
snow conditions
Well, what a day! One of the most enjoyable I've had, mainly because I chose to ski in a quiet part of the ski area and to my amazement nobody came to join me in a really lovely bit of off-piste which meant I had fresh tracks until I had no more strength left in my legs. Fresh snow was boot deep in places. With every run my confidence improved and I times I felt "at one" with my skis which is a novel experience. At other times, of course, I felt like a plundering elephant, but I'll try to focus on the good bits not the clumsy bits!

Here are some photos which sum up the day for me. Unfortunately they don't do justice to how steep the terrain is - wish I knew how to convey that more accurately:

Lots more photos and a full report of the day on my blog
ski holidays
Hi all, what a great forum!!. Having only ever skied in Andorra (one holiday) and Austria (4 holidays) I convinced Mrs Snowplowed to give the Paradiski area a go this year. However, I am somewhat baffled by the snow reports for the area - Les Arcs is showing 90cm on lower slopes whilst La Plagne is a mere 20cm is this a French phenomenon or are the readings misleading ??. We have opted for accommodation in Belle Plagne (we wish we had seen rob@rar`s apartment before we booked!!) but we will be covering as many miles as possible including Arcs. Does anyone know if the official snow reports are a true representation of the snow depth or a marketing tool utilised for one upmanship??.......
ski holidays
rob@rar, wow! I have e-mailed a link to your blog of today to Paul (my ski-buddy) not least because he is extremely partial to a nice tarte aux fruits. As am I. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

snowplowed, welcome to snowHeads! I'm sure rob@rar will answer your question. I haven't been to Paradiski. That pleasure is to come in March. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, as a matter of interest, do you ski off-piste on your own? I know you're very safety-conscious, so was wondering about that.
snow conditions
snowplowed, Never believe the marketing department snow depth readings however the difference between Les Arcs and La Plagne is where the lowest point is. The lowest parts of La Plagne they refer to are Montchavin and Montalbert around 1200-1300m, while Les Arcs the lowest point being referred to is most likely Arc 1600. 400m matters. wink Laughing

Holidayed in Belle Plgane in April this year. Amazing location, you are very lucky. In my opinion the best location in the whole of paradski for getting to all areas.
latest report
snowplowed, I haven't skied in La Plagne on this trip, but I'd be surprised if there was a huge difference in snow depths across the Paradiski domain. Those figures are released by the revelvant Tourist Offices for each resort, and I don't think there is a set way of measuring snow depth. I normally ignore them, to tell you the truth, as they are not the most important statistic in my opinion. It is the quality of the snow, rather than the depth which affects how nice it is to ski on (assuming a reasonable depth to cover the piste adequately.

Hurtle, yes, I often ski off-piste on my own. Not through choice, but necessity. Today's avy risk was 2 (so relatively low), and I was skiing on a slope which had catex, gasex and paravalanche barriers on it. I might not have skied the steeper parts (which I'd guess were getting on for upper 30°s) without advice from local pisteurs if the avy risk had been higher. Fresh snow depth was relatively thin, so hopefully no deep slabs waiting to be triggered, and I skied through the trees a fair amount. I don't claim any particular level of snowcraft, but I hope I didn't take any unnecessary risks. As a measure of last resort I was also had my transceiver on.

I do love a good tart. [FX: snigger]
snow conditions
rob@rar,
Quote:

I do love a good tart

I deliberately spelled it the French way! Laughing Were those raspberries, or cherries, or what? [/drool]
snow conditions
Raspberries. La Ferme is a very nice restaurant. Not only do they do nice homemade tarte but I had a lovely plat du jour today of venison.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 1-01-09 21:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Thanks for your responses Hurtle and thefatcontroller, thought the snow reports were a bit strange!. The whole altitude thing is a bit different from the 800m we are used to in Austria!!. We are really looking forward to this trip it is a change I think we need to progress and develop our skiing. Being a bit of a mithering pest but can thefatcontroller recommend any decent restraunts in Belle Palgne village??
snow report
rob@rar, mmmm. Yes, I have noted it all. I may well have cereal bars for lunch some days, but at least one visit to La Ferme will on no account be missed!
ski holidays
rob@rar thanks for your response must have been typing at the same time. I agree I just dont fancy rocks popping up and making a mess of my skis! and it makes our holiday to have a good depth of snow in the resort. I am working through youre blog, keep it coming its excellent stuff!!!!!
snow conditions
snowplowed wrote:
I am working through youre blog, keep it coming its excellent stuff!!!!!

Sorry, that's the last blog entry from Les Arcs until the end of the month. Back home to London tomorrow but I hope to post some blog reports from Pila in a couple of weeks, but probably not like today's as I will be spending my time teaching beginners to snowplough Smile
ski holidays
rob@rar, I also often ski off piste on my own. As yourself... I err massively on the side of caution. I've got over 20 yrs of experience in the mountains and still feel like a novice but this is often the only way I can get to ski the snow I enjoy Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
rob@rar, safe journey home.
snow conditions
snowplowed wrote:
Being a bit of a mithering pest but can thefatcontroller recommend any decent restraunts in Belle Palgne village??

No problem. We were in a catered chalet so only ate out once and that was some pizza place that was ok. The Roche del Mio bubble opens into the evening so you can go down to Plagne Bellecote to eat as well. Best ask some locals when you arrive for restaurant recommendations. Assume you are self catering. There are really good local places all around Paradski, you might consider a good lunch and then light meal in evening or are you first to last lift, eat later group?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy