Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian Snow Report 2007/2008

Poster: A snowHead
I might have a chance to get to Zell am See for Xmas and the week between. What is the reality? Are the pistes good, or do we need to get on the glacier? How about off-piste? Pictures, pms?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
demos, Hi mate, I go on Saturday the 15th to Zell snowHead snowHead , I hope to post a report and pics, etc. the hotel say they have WiFi.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
blytht, we're off to zell on the 22nd. Looking forward to seeing your report, pics etc...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
j wrote:
Where to go in Austria right now? I'll be there tomorrow for a month and have no plan. So where's the best snow at right now?

St Anton is looking brilliant.

See here for a daily report from a guide out there

Quote:
December 12th - a rather big day clocking up 9000m of off piste. 5 x Maienwasen and 4x Schonegraben with a few other bits and bobs thrown in. The snow had settled slightly and the stability was better than we expected. This season is seeing huge amounts of snow with good even temperatures which is producing a good base. The skiing today was sensational with deep light powder on all slopes surrounding the Galzig and Kapal mountains. Franz is working with the level 2/3's for 5 days and making great progress. I'm still trying to tame the "Troll" who seems impossible to tire out.....

December 11th - DEEP - only Galzig was open due to mega snow, visibility was pretty dia so headed for the trees where the snow was deep, real deep. The Troll (Paul) and Aussie Steve below lapped up the pow until 4pm when their bodies broke and then collapsed in the Under Ground after several large beers.... (light weights!) More snow coming... oyoy
Photo's below: Left - The Troll neck deep. Right: Aussie Paul only bought a one way ticket to Europe!

http://www.pistetopowder.com/
to update click on "home" and then "Today's offpiste report"
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DB wrote:
j wrote:
Where to go in Austria right now? I'll be there tomorrow for a month and have no plan. So where's the best snow at right now?

St Anton is looking brilliant.

See here for a daily report from a guide out there

Quote:
December 12th - a rather big day clocking up 9000m of off piste. 5 x Maienwasen and 4x Schonegraben with a few other bits and bobs thrown in. The snow had settled slightly and the stability was better than we expected. This season is seeing huge amounts of snow with good even temperatures which is producing a good base. The skiing today was sensational with deep light powder on all slopes surrounding the Galzig and Kapal mountains. Franz is working with the level 2/3's for 5 days and making great progress. I'm still trying to tame the "Troll" who seems impossible to tire out.....

December 11th - DEEP - only Galzig was open due to mega snow, visibility was pretty dia so headed for the trees where the snow was deep, real deep. The Troll (Paul) and Aussie Steve below lapped up the pow until 4pm when their bodies broke and then collapsed in the Under Ground after several large beers.... (light weights!) More snow coming... oyoy
Photo's below: Left - The Troll neck deep. Right: Aussie Paul only bought a one way ticket to Europe!

http://www.pistetopowder.com/
to update click on "home" and then "Today's offpiste report"

With regard to "More snow coming" There maybe some "light" snow Monday ,Tuesday.

Next week will be good, very good. After the 24th its high season & will be very crowded & you may as well stay at home.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
xjenkins, 22 would be our day too - but depends on last minute business now whether or not we can go! snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
for gawds sake don't remind me DB, my ski mates are heading out there tomorrow, I can't go as I'm off to Oz on Monday morning, so I'm expecting plenty of winding up text and phone calls shouting "powwwddeeerrrr" over the weekend.....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kitzbuehel got a foot of freshies overnight up top, and 10cm down to village-level.

Slopes looking much healthier.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stanton wrote:
Next week will be good, very good. After the 24th its high season & will be very crowded & you may as well stay at home.

I don't ski the big resorts during holiday times (Xmas, Feb school holidays etc) prefer the quieter local resorts at these times or even better = ski touring away from the resorts altogether.

Tauplitz saw 20cm fresh last night too.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi again,

The cold air has finally arrived it has below freezing all day and it is now -4 oC. It has been snowing on off for the last few days. But today the snow was shining -going skiing tomorrow and should be excellent conditions. ( we still have vacancies next week!!!)

altitude Valley Middle Summit

above sealevel 920 m 1500 m 1921 m

Snowdepth Trail 70 cm 110 cm 165 cm

Snowdepth Terrain 70 cm 110 cm 165 cm

Last snowfall 14.12.2007

Slope Condition granulated

Here are some pictures from yesterday clearing the road outside the house:-

Nigel
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In obertauern at the moment snow is fantastic, poor light until today had bright sunshine till last lift only downside was cheap ski day so very busy. Has snowed every day for last threeand more to come apparently.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
How much snow total in obertauern?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
j, Lots Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am back from my 11-day-skiing from Austria. Most of my skiing was done in Salzburg region.
If you are planning to go to ski this area, do not hesitate.
Book a flight to Salzburg and pick a resort in one or two hours' drive.
Fresh and deep snow everywhere.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Theres more snow in Obertauern than you would ever need. Smile Off piste is tracked out in the bowl but theres much more available around the outskirts. Today has been ace no one on the slopes and fantastic skiing to be had. Still seemed to be a few people in the Lurzer Alm though. Cant fault the place so far but have got till Saturday so I,ll keep postin Very Happy
snow report
Snow in Zillertal Valley at the mo is brill. Powder from Hintertux to Mayrhofen snowHead
snow report
slikedges, But what will it be like in three weeks time? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
alex_heney, it's going to be fan******tastique this season, I just feel it in ma bones! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Just got back from Ischgl ... loads of snow but it's very cold so it can be pretty hard and icy early in the morning and as the suns drops.

The off piste is fairly tracked out now but still nice in the early afternoon when it's softened up a bit.
snow conditions
ousekjarr, Thank-you for responding on kaprun hire q for Matthew Way - been away for a few days. Matthew I only hired in Zell and found the Intersport network of stores there very good (I like the fact you can hire at the top of the mountain (avoiding ques at the bottom) and drop kit back at any Intersport store in town. They have an Intersport in Kaprun - http://www.intersportrent.at/skirental/shops/Kaprun/164/ - cheers.
ski holidays
dg3, many thanks for that.
I fancy the 'try before you buy' offer on some new skis (Fischer RX6's maybe).

Anyone know if the resort prices are reasonable?

Staying in the Tauernhof, anyone know what it's like?

Any other tips for Kaprun?

Ta
Matt
latest report
Another very cold day in Obertauern -7 in the town. Very windy up top light snow for most of the morning but altogether a very good days skiing. Gam 2 the double chair black was closed. Locals say alot of snow due tonight so looking forward to tomorrow Very Happy
ski holidays
dg3, BTW I appreciate my previous post was in the wrong forum. Please reply in Resorts if you have any info.
Ta
Matt
snow report
Matthew Way

I've stayed in the Tauernhof many a time, it's an excellent hotel, the staff are helpful and friendly plus the beer and food are excellent

be sure to try the pfefferpfandl (not the correct spelling I'm sure) if you get a chance, it's superb

the hotel can arrange discounts for ski & boot hire, just ask, and can sell you lift passes at the same price as the lift company, saving time on the first morning

we hired at Intersport Brundl just opposite the hotel (using the discount), they were very good

the bus stop up to the glacier is right outside the ski room door, the stop towards the Schaufelbahn lift up the Maiskogel is about 100 yds away (or walk it, it's only 15 mins), this same direction on the bus takes you to the Areitbahn lift at Schuttdorf, this gets you on to the Schmittenhohe system above Zell am See, which is covered on the lift pass, this is a great ski area and is only 15 mins on the bus.

new year celebrations are in the main square only 100 yds away and are crazy, your beer gets colder as you drink it despite standing huddled together under a space heater, it was very cold! at the bells, people let off fireworks in the street, so watch out for stray rockets!

the cocktail bar in the Tauernhof laid on free late snacks which were much appreciated after the fun of the square, plus the atmosphere was fantastic

if you have any specific questions, post up or pm me

enjoy your stay snowHead

ps I couldn't find your post in Resorts
latest report
Just an update on Obertauern. Bright sunshine warmed up a touch but still hovering around freezing and definately below by 3pm. Pistes still good and snow is due from sunday wind has dropped so altogether quite pleasant compared to earlier in the week. Only two days left will update before we leave
snow report
Whats it like in Saalbach / Hinterglemm? Heading out there on the 5th Jan. Realy looking forward to it.!
ski holidays
A friend has just gone out to his flat in Saalbach and emailed me yesterday to wind me up about :

blue skies
powder snow
minus 10
superb weather forecast for days
6 feet of snow

so it sounds pretty good to me!
latest report
Karl Moto, my picture from Saalbach last week:

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi everyone,

Just got back from Zell am See 15-22 Dec 2007, What a week, sunshine everyday, temps ranged from -11 Sunday to +4 on Friday.

Anyone who knows Zell they have put in another Gondola to the Panorama Pfiff, so it has three service points now.
Areitbahn III Gondola from Schuttdorf, Eight seater heated chair from the middle station of the Areitbahn II, to stop the bottle neck from
the City Express Gondola out of Zell, then a brand new 8 seater gondola TrassXpress from Sonnenalm up the road from Zell.

The snow depths started on Monday @ 145 and has settled around 148cm, the snow cannons have been on all the time before the temp went above 0, so they have plenty of snow laying around. The skiing @ Kaprun was just as good, if not slightly better, well worth a trip as its part of the ski pass. Wide open runs of the glacier, with several snowparks to keep anyone happy.

A few pics of Panorama Pfiff and the Blue 3 to the Blue 7 Kinderland

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/9525/ppuser/545

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/9524/ppuser/545

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/9526/ppuser/545

We stayed in the Grand Hotel, what a place, if you get one of the Wellness Rooms, it has a Steam Room in the Shower, gets rid of them aches at the end of the day. The hotel decor is very impressive, swimming pool, squash court & very friendly staff the Grand Hotel group owns two hotels in Croatia and most of the staff get selected from the two Croatian hotels to carrying on working in the winter, so they seemed very keen to please. I guess not having a job in the winter while the other hotels were closed, would be a motivation.

The views over the lake from the hotel are superb, also due to the temps, the lake started to freeze, and would deposit a fresh layer of frost
over the town in the mornings, very pretty indeed.
snow report
kerekip, that's a gorgeous picture. snowHead
ski holidays
AlpineWalker, Karl Moto,
Also heading out to Saalbach 5th Jan. East Midlands to Salzburg. Staying Pension Enzian. Black helmet. Green animal jacket. Ski like a muppet. Grey heid. If you see me, fling a snowball......
snow report
Quite agree with blytht just back from Zell am See 15th to 21st fantastic weeks skiing. Conditions were great, sunny every day. Stayed at the Tirolhof hotel, service and food were 1st class.
latest report
Sounds great Very Happy we're off to Zell this Saturday, can't wait snowHead
latest report
boboblanco, Alright bobo. we are staying at erm. . . ??? Ahh Hotel Sonnegg, thats it. We come in on an evening flight so that day is pritty much lost, but im sure we'll be out on the town. Havnt been sking for 10 years and organising this holiday has been somewhat of a task, im basicaly compleatly new to the whole thing and its a real learning curve.

anyway. Come on the snow!
snow report
Alright, back yesterday from a week in Kitzbuehel.

The good news -- there is plenty of snow, right down to an impressive 300 meters. The sun blazed for 8 straight days. Temps were very stable, hovering between -3c and +3c at village-level every day. Most mountains are white and about 95% of all the runs are open. The town is busy but the slopes are not too crowded.

The bad news -- the offpiste is like concrete. The sunny runs without cannons (about 10% of the resort) are green and unskiable. The onpiste is mostly artifical snow below mid-station, meaning all homeruns are hardpacked and icy.

Overall, conditions are good in Kitzbuehel, but they could do with a topup -- and a quick scan of the webcams says they received about 5cm of freshies today (Sun), which should help to improve things.

The same goes for Soell, St Johann and Westendorf, which are nearby -- plenty of snow, but a good refresh needed.
ski holidays
Karl Moto wrote:
boboblanco, Alright bobo. we are staying at erm. . . ??? Ahh Hotel Sonnegg, thats it. We come in on an evening flight so that day is pritty much lost, but im sure we'll be out on the town. Havnt been sking for 10 years and organising this holiday has been somewhat of a task, im basicaly compleatly new to the whole thing and its a real learning curve.

anyway. Come on the snow!

Hey Karl moto

We must be on the same flight! Leaving East Midlands 6.25 Ryanair. There are two of us. Scottish. Tall girl with blonde hair and a cracking smile and a grey heided fella with a not so cracking smile......

I see it has been snowing this week. Bring it on...

Bobo
snow conditions
Just returned from a trip to innsbruck. The skiing was good up high but the lower resorts were really hammered. the new snow didnt really help as they only got about 5 cm. Kuhtai was the best especially if you tour above the resort. Nice powder turns.
snow report
Sad its not looking good for saalbach. b@astard!
snow report
Karl Moto, Skied Wargrain a few days ago, great conditions, not that far from saalbach.
snow conditions
Karl Moto, Been looking at the Hotel Sonnegg possibly for March, a review on your return would be much appreciated! FYI the SCGB reports good conditions mainly on the upper slopes 20cm lower down and 145cm upper with all lifts open! snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy