Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and Tignes-Val D'Isere (formerly Espace Killy) 2023/24. Useful links on Page 1

Poster: A snowHead
30cm in Lac, but violent winds have closed the playground, but the nursery is still open
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dear member,
THank you for the latest insights.
Going to Tigne next from 6.12-10.12
Should I expect that 50% will be open by that point?
BR,
Edvarts
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Edvarts66, I expect so, with something between 70 and 100 cm of snow this week the resort have a lot of work to do. So it will be a progressive opening, but by the 6th I expect everything above 2100m to be open.

If you keep an eye on this webpage, it normally gives warning of which lifts and pistes will open within 2 or 3 days. At the moment the only pistes listed are the ones from the glacier. That will change!

https://bulletin.lumiplan.pro/bulletin.php?station=tignes&region=alpes&pays=france&lang=fr
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you! Maybe see you next week!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well, there were two choices today: bumpy piste on one side of Bollin chair or bumpy off piste the other side of Bollin chair. Both perfectly satisfactory if you were prepared for the occasional 'rag doll' moment when bump and balance didn't quite match. It was blowing a hooley all day even at resort level so all other lifts closed and funi reserved strictly for pedestrians.

It's rare for snowboarders to outnumber skiers but that was how it was most of the afternoon. I blame ENSA. The majority of the skiing I saw was of the rather tidy variety - guessing there's an element of natural selection going on with only the determined and the well-practiced venturing out. You could count the blaireaux on the fingers of one hand.

Only went out for a couple of hours owing to the need to clear snow and fiddle with skis: Marker have quite strict recommendations on the clearance between boot and the front toe-piece slider and it took an age to find a compromise that worked for both new ski boots and old.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hot off the press: Palet sector (Tichot, Grattalu) opening today.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In further news, since my Met Musings on Monday the storm has intensified a bit. There are warnings out for flooding in the vallies and avalanches aloft. The rain snow level will rise through Thursday to reach 2000m. So expect Bourg to go green and varying amounts of degradation to the snowpack below 2000m or so. On high there could be as much as 80 cm between tonight and Saturday lunchtime, but it’s going to be a complicated snowpack and the Pisteur are going to be busy. But Sunday should be Fab-u-lous.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bad cocktail for snowpack stability ... be careful people
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Couple of friends in Amsterdam for their wedding anniversary report it is snowing.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
Senior moment clearly. Perhaps the year before.
I know how it feels! Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Excellent morning; tichot, merles, grattalu all open, lots of fresh tracks, cold, and conditions pretty great everywhere.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Excellent! Are you around next week?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
turbosmurf wrote:
Excellent morning; tichot, merles, grattalu all open, lots of fresh tracks, cold, and conditions pretty great everywhere.

Great. I arrive Saturday and have 4 weeks to look forward to.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 29-11-23 20:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just read that there will be 28 more lift gates to facilitate the new 4 hour passes which are valid for Tignes or Val. More faffing out of the villages!
Edit: it also stops visiting people skinning up beyond the gated lifts.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just booked for 23-30 Dec
Flights Manchester to Chambery £78 each
Train, Chambery to BSM (son will taxi us from there) 3 return tickets €76.....how chuffin cheap is that???
ski holidays
We have arrived in Val d’Isere this evening and will need to get the snow shovels out in the morning to clear the terrace.

Went out for dinner while the house warmed up and have walked home in heavy snow, hopefully the snow line stays above village level tommow.
snow conditions
@Frosty the Snowman, brilliant
snow report
Will Fresse be running from Saturday?
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, Fresse is not normally a priority, Tufs gives more flexibility in low season. But as ever, it will be conditions that lead!
snow conditions
@chocksaway, indeed
ski holidays
@Frosty the Snowman, Very Happy
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, do you particularly enjoy a freezing cold wind tunnel?
ski holidays
There is a ski and snowboard test in Val d'Isere over the weekend, online registration here.
snow conditions
@Dr John, asking for a friend Laughing
ski holidays
Between Val Claret and the top of Gratalu it varied this afternoon from rain through sleet through snow. Flat light and bumpy, wet, compacted snow meant there were few takers - almost exclusively ENSA snowboarders doing speed test slaloms and looking like they were having a torrid time of it.

No Merles today; Lanches spinning but didn't see many on it or Double M. Best piste in Tignes was Bollin with very acceptable creamy slush. But most of the skiers on it were wearing raincoats.

There were indeed ski pass gates newly installed on Gratalu (and if I remember correctly, Merles too). None that I could see on Col des Ves - or Palet which will no doubt please any BOGOF park rats.
ski holidays
Pouring down in Val centre. Let’s hope the rain limit doesn’t rise much more.
latest report
In VC it's back to snow so fingers crossed ...
latest report
chocksaway wrote:
Pouring down in Val centre. Let’s hope the rain limit doesn’t rise much more.

Roughly where is the rain limit atm?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Somewhere between Lac and the dam - but I'm not venturing out to check more precisely!
snow conditions
bobski62 wrote:
Somewhere between Lac and the dam - but I'm not venturing out to check more precisely!

I don't blame you.
ski holidays
bobski62 wrote:
No commitment. Smile
snow report
Quote:
Just read that there will be 28 more lift gates to facilitate the new 4 hour passes which are valid for Tignes or Val. More faffing out of the villages!
Edit: it also stops visiting people skinning up beyond the gated lifts.
Apologies @chocksaway, but I'm puzzled by this. Does it just mean 28 lifts will have new gates? If so, how will they prevent people skinning up?
latest report
@mountainaddict, The extra gates don't prevent people skinning up, they prevent people skinning up to the top of lower lifts then using the lifts above that for free.
snow report
Quick look at the weather then, an unsettled start to the week after a nice day on Sunday, a slack high pressure system midweek and then unsettled from Friday. But there's not much certainty beyond Monday as it's quite a complex picture and the models are varying. But hopefully we have seen the last of the rain as it's going to get a lot colder.

The rain should stop and the snow line should move down the valley quite quickly after dark. The temperature will plummet tonight. Light snow will continue to about lunchtime or later, so winter tyres or chains to get to the resorts I think. For those bashers dragging their cases up the hill it will be cold during the day tomorrow. The pisteurs will be very busy trying to sort out the mess of the last few days, expect to see them busy working tomorrow through the day. I have checked every site I have and there are no forecasts of what is opening - probably because they don't know, till they get out there. Keep an eye on the App and the Lumiplan details (link on P1). Sunday will be mostly sunny with the odd fluffy cloud moving relatively quickly. Layer up. Monday will be cloudy and probably showers of light snow, a few more centimetres to play with. Tuesday will see heavier snow showers all day, with perhaps a glimpse of the sun now and again. Beyond that its really all to play for, Wednesday could be anything, more snow after that.

For the travel tomorrow, expect a bit of carnage on the roads up from Bourg unless the Police are out enforcing the rules, hopefully.
For those flying, I think Geneva is the only game in town this week, it will be fine. Godd job it is too early for Chambery it would be shut. There will be some deicing delays at the UK airports, probably. But your aircraft should be at the base overnight so not too bad. But there will be a chance of fog almost anywhere except LHR and LGW. Light snow might mean a quick de-ice at Stansted or Newcastle, so some people will have a delay, I just don't know where as its a 40% chance at each of them. Juggling Lardy Bus timetables may be on the cards!
latest report
Thanks chocksaway, I'm out on Saturday for psb, Aberdeen -geneva via LHR.
First time in Tignes for 7 years and first time back on snow after breaking leg in February. I may be only out on sunny days.
Keep us posted about weather and conditions please.
ski holidays
@speachmaus, I'll do as much as I can, I won't be appearing in resort till early Jan (but I do have spies!)
latest report
@chocksaway, came here via your recommendation in the PSB thread. This is superhelpful and I too will be looking out for updates! Thanks!
ski holidays
speachmaus wrote:
Thanks chocksaway, I'm out on Saturday for psb, Aberdeen -geneva via LHR.
First time in Tignes for 7 years and first time back on snow after breaking leg in February. I may be only out on sunny days.
Keep us posted about weather and conditions please.

Pop in to the Maison de Tignes after getting off the mountains & check the forecast for the following day - usually accurate.
snow report
Just found on Tignes website:-

Ski area information - 01/12/2023 - 17:30
SKI AREA: new slopes opening Area Aiguille Percee and Tovière

SKI AREA: new openings

Palafour chairlift: 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Tommeuses chairlift: 9:15 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Tovière cable car: 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Tufs chairlift: 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Rosset chairlift: 9:00 a.m. – 4:40 p.m.

Lavachet ski lift: 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Replat telecorde: 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

The ski area continues its gradual opening! See you tomorrow,

Opening connection Tignes Val d'Isère : 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Consult the “Piste and lifts” section to follow the opening of the ski area in real time.
latest report
Quote:
The extra gates don't prevent people skinning up, they prevent people skinning up to the top of lower lifts then using the lifts above that for free.
Aha! Rather obvious now you've said it @rjs. Must say, as a ski tourer (as well as a downhiller) I'm quite surprised though, because:
- It's something I just wouldn't do. Regardless of the ethics, IMO there's no point using lifts if I'm out touring.
- Is it really such a big issue?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy