Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2022/23 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@Gored, I'm assuming you mean the individual circuits then they are in the ski map , they are also on the tourist office site https://www.saalbach.com/en/service/infrastructure/skicircus-circuits_a_1720, if your are after doing the challenge there's info on the site too.

We haven't bother as yet with Zell, I understand the chairs aren't heated over there Toofy Grin , seriously it involves taking the bus down to Viehofen then the lift up and on your return the lift down, unless you want to do a ski route back. We might do it later in the season, though we have been saying that since the link opened up.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@radar,

Yea, I am looking for larger versions of them so I do not get lost! (might just make my own using the vinyl plotter in work)
Wont be doing the challenge. Other half is not confident on reds, so a small circuit will prob take us most of the day. She also wants to 'ski' downhill overlooking a lake - hence I thought about Zell am See.
I thought I could ski over to Viehofen & bus back (Shattberg lift -> Run 2 & 2a -> schonletenbahn lift -> run 168 -> zell am see xpress. Then take a bus back to Hinterglemm for night skiing before returning to Saalbach.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ousekjarr, thanks, that's helpful
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Gored, the ones on the back of the ski map are pretty small!

168 has no snow making, it’s a beautiful run, it’s a bit hit and miss if it will be open and it has a great restaurant on it as well. I can understand the lake attraction we had similar thought, if you decide to do it coming back its a red from the top to the mid station
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Gored, depends on when you visit - run 168 has no snowmaking so conditions vary through the season, and it can be sketchy even if it is open. Or you could find it in perfect condition and empty.

The views of the Zeller See from the Areit side and also from Sonnkogel are good when the weather is clear, especially if the lake is frozen. There are several pistes which provide clear views, but it's been a while since I was there and can't remember the details. Others can probably fill in the directions. From the top of Schmittenhohe, pistes 1 then 2 then 5 will take you all the way into town if they are open that far down. And don't be tempted to ski back if your partner is nervous on reds. Downloading is entirely possible, but then it's a bus back to Schonleitenbahn and possibly a change to get as far as Hinterglemm.

The night skiing is limited, but is good for learners because of the high contrast, typically cold and crisp grippy conditions, and the lack of people. You'll need clear or yellow goggle lenses for it though if you aren't comfortable without eye coverings.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Does anyone know if DJ Toni still playing at the Schwartzacher in Hinterglemm? Also is there an evening bus to Zell? Heading to my sister's house in Zell at the start of march but will defo make a trip to S-H.
Thanks in advance
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Gored, Just been looking at the updated Saalbach App it now includes all the circuits, you can load the various maps for offline use and it uses GPS so you know where you are.

You will find it under play at the bottom of the screen, then it will bring up a menu and you want skirunden.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It’s just been announced (see www.saalbach.com/en/service/info/skibus-nightrider ) that a new “Nightrider” shuttle service will operate between Saalbach and Hinterglemm village centres, every 20 minutes, from 17.30 until 02.00am. Price €5 per person.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@tatmanstours, brilliant !
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We (5 Irish Skiers) are having a great week. Obviously, ski conditions could be better but ground crew are insuring they are as good as possible. Any recommendations for restaurants in Zell Am See tomorrow ?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hrooney18 wrote:
We (5 Irish Skiers) are having a great week. Obviously, ski conditions could be better but ground crew are insuring they are as good as possible. Any recommendations for restaurants in Zell Am See tomorrow ?

Crazy Daisy or Brasserie Traube in the town centre. If Schuttdorf is convenient, the Village Kitchen is excellent. Lebzelters in Zell is also good, but the menu may be a bit limited.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thank you. Any mountain huts we should like ?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@hrooney18, we had good food in March at the Sonnkogel restaurant (top of Sonnkogel chairlift)

Also enjoyed the Schmiedhofalm
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
TomBH wrote:
@hrooney18, we had good food in March at the Sonnkogel restaurant (top of Sonnkogel chairlift)

Also enjoyed the Schmiedhofalm

Both good shouts. The latter is a bit more contemporary and upmarket. Both have awesome terraces if the sun is out.

Can’t think of a hut that we’d choose to avoid. Das Panorama and the Areitalm are large and a little bit impersonal (both are mainly self-service, but have small table service sections).

Would recommend ending the day at the very top (Schnapps Hans) for a drink or two, then skiing down via the Breiteckalm.

Ebenbergalm is worth a stop if it’s open. Pinzgauer Hutte is very traditional and you get a snowmobile tow back up to the pistes.

There’s plenty of choice. https://www.schmitten.at/en/Culinary-offers/Huts-Restaurants

Enjoy!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
tatmanstours wrote:
It’s just been announced (see www.saalbach.com/en/service/info/skibus-nightrider ) that a new “Nightrider” shuttle service will operate between Saalbach and Hinterglemm village centres, every 20 minutes, from 17.30 until 02.00am. Price €5 per person.

I saw this advertised on the social media pages, at 5euro per person I wonder how popular it will be. for example we will be staying in Saalbach at the end of jan and will have a day where we will end and enjoy some apres in Hinterglemm with a party of 5 I wonder if it might be cheaper or easier in a taxi given it only goes between the 12erkogel and the schattberg lift stations.

same of we are looking to head up to the the toboggan run.
snow conditions
@hrooney18, The Feinschmeck used to be good in town - seems to have changed to the Cella Boutique Hotel but looks nice! The Italian over Mosshammer on the square is ok as is Pizzeria Giuseppe round the corner (although it's not much to look at!). Lebzelter Sportstüberl is nice for a few beers in town. Never drink beer in the Diele bar or you won't ski the next day and always make it to Greens XL under the Grunerbaum Hotel for half-price cocktails (hopefully, let me know...!) between 8-10pm.

On the mountain, Schnapps Hans for as long as you can stand (both meanings), then Breiteckalm and, definitely, Ebenbergalm for the win before you hit the town! Make sure you don't overshoot the turn though, it's just above the top of the Ebenberg chair lift - blink and you've missed it.
snow report
tatmanstours wrote:
Anyone looking for an apartment let me know. I’m in contact with the network of British people who let holiday apartments in Saalbach.

There's 7 of us arriving on Jan 15th for 5 nights. Our preference is for B&B but SC works as well. Any advice/assistance would be much appreciated.
ski holidays
Klamm Franzer wrote:
@hrooney18, The Feinschmeck used to be good in town - seems to have changed to the Cella Boutique Hotel but looks nice! The Italian over Mosshammer on the square is ok as is Pizzeria Giuseppe round the corner (although it's not much to look at!). Lebzelter Sportstüberl is nice for a few beers in town. Never drink beer in the Diele bar or you won't ski the next day and always make it to Greens XL under the Grunerbaum Hotel for half-price cocktails (hopefully, let me know...!) between 8-10pm.

On the mountain, Schnapps Hans for as long as you can stand (both meanings), then Breiteckalm and, definitely, Ebenbergalm for the win before you hit the town! Make sure you don't overshoot the turn though, it's just above the top of the Ebenberg chair lift - blink and you've missed it.

Thank you for all the recommendations. We really enjoyed a goulash at the sonnkogel and drinks at the sonnalm. The trass 14 was in good shape and very enjoyable.
latest report
Hi all,

Any recommendations for a day spa in Saalbach/Hinterglemm for my non-skiing wife please? Also any other recommendations to keep her occupied?
ski holidays
@pctaylor, the Tauernspa in Kaprun is the place to go for a longer visit, two bus rides with a change in Zell. Other options for a non-skier are skating in Hinterglemm (limited outdoor space) or in Zell (full size rink plus swimming pool), ice driving experience and also snowmobile safaris from the bottom end of Saalbach, snowshoe walks, the Flying Fox zip wire in Leogang, and of course there are shopping and cake opportunities either locally or in Zell.

A day trip to Salzburg by train from Zell is also easily achievable, with the castle and the Sound of Music experience being the main tourist draws in addition to the shopping and coffee/cake in the old town.
ski holidays
@pctaylor, I think the two hotels in Saalbach village centre that offer their pool and spa facilities to non-residents are the Kendler and the Alpenresort. I don’t know whether you might be able to sweet talk your way past the receptionist in the Panther, Eva Village, Post, Kohlmais, Saalbacherhof, etc. It’s difficult to keep up with current individual policies. Some guests of mine years ago used to go next door to the Hotel Kohlmais, and apparently encountered no problem in using their facilities. I suppose that much depends on how busy they are, whether they like the look of you, and whether you use their breakfast or dinner facilities.
snow conditions
OK so we're nearly sorted. Was there consensus on decent transfer companies {7 of us)? I see Holiday Shuttle isn't operating this season. Also I'm looking for a decent snowboard instructor in Saalbach? The student is a decent intermediate now so a ski instructor moonlighting on a snowboard probably won't cut it. Thank you, this thread has been really helpful.
ski holidays
@Snow Hound, , since my post the private transfer is now €200, we used them again just before Christmas and have booked them for January.

radar wrote:
Here is an alternative to the Holiday Shuttle which doesn't seem to be running this season, we used them in March and they were fine, its €60 each way, if there are 3 or more then their private transfer works out well as its €180 each way .

https://www.austriatransfer.com/downloads/fahrplaene2021/Saalbach_Hinterglemm.pdf please use this as a timetable and go for live pricing on their site

Link to their site to get a quote: https://www.austriatransfer.com/en
snow report
@Snow Hound, just to add taxi 6620, who ran the shuttle are still in business, as there are 7 of you might be worth checking their price, they also said that they would restart the shuttle next season, I’ve posted taxi companies on page 2 or 3
snow report
@Snow Hound, For a snowboard instructor, contact Kris Dragoshinov on +43 664 1791533
Kris works for Penhab Ski and Snowboard School, and he is both experienced and very competent. Mention that I recommended him to you.
snow report
how far in advance can you buy a OBB bus ticket?
I am guessing one month, as my return date is not showing any availability. I have to go all the way back to 31st Jan to show availability.

As a backup, anyone know the rough price of a taxi from Zell am See.
ski holidays
@Gored, it used to be around 45 euros, but I suspect that it must now be at least 50. Give “Taxidemir” a ring on +43 660 221 07 44
Demir has been reliable and reasonable from past experience.
Also Taxi6620 - +43 6541/6620
latest report
@Snow Hound,

We have www.salzburgtaxi.eu booked again in 3 weeks, used them many times. It’s €200 one way for an 8 seater minivan private transfer.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pctaylor, the Tourist Office also over guided hikes if she want to explore the mountains https://www.saalbach.com/en/events
snow report
If anyone is interested in the current conditions this is the current lift and piste status, not much closed Toofy Grin

ski holidays
The webcam pictures speak for themselves - this is from 1630 yesterday, since when it has been cloudy with light rain in places:

snow report
Praying for some snow prior to our arrival on the evening of the 13th snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
@swskier, ditto, except we arrive on the 14th. The long term forecast is showing maybe 10-15cm on the 9th, and a dusting for a day or two afterwards, so fingers crossed. The piste management across the Glemmtal is exceptionally good, but these are difficult times and the whole area badly needs a big dump to secure a decent base for the rest of the season. The webcam shots of the Turmweise slope look close to apocalyptic, with grass visible in several places.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 3-01-23 22:32; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Those are south facing slopes though (assuming that's the main Bernkogel slope in the middle)
ski holidays
@buchanan101, yes, those are all on the north side of the valley, so south facing, and at this time of year the lower slopes can be in the shade all day as the sun never gets that high anyway. It's still exceptionally bad for this time of year - here's a view from Wildenkarkogel a year ago: (south-facing slopes on the right)

ski holidays
@ousekjarr,

I normally click on wetter & watch the live stream that cycles between station
https://www.saalbach.com/de/live-info/wetter
latest report
@Gored, yes, but at the moment what you see is a dark night with thick low cloud, so accessing the archive facility on the site can be useful to review the conditions on a day to day basis. What you see now could look bad, so the question is has it been like this for a week, or has 50cm of cover gone overnight? And also, is this typical, or have previous years been much better at this time? On the archive, you can skip a day/month/year backwards at a time for each of the main Panomax cameras
latest report
At what point does one cut one's losses in S-H and look for last-minute reservations in Soelden or Val Gardena?
ski holidays
@monkbeer, that depends on a huge amount, including the terms of your accommodation where typically a cancellation less than a week before will cost you 90-100% of the agreed rate.

I'm not panicking - there's time yet, and the forecast is looking up. The worst case is that we join everyone else in the Glemmtal in driving to Kaprun each day.
ski holidays
I’m getting a fair few enquiries about present conditions in Saalbach. This is my reply to one of them, and I think it sums up the extent of my knowledge (although it’s worth adding that 67 lifts out of 70 are currently operating):

“I’ve been in Saalbach since 11th December and had some brilliant skiing (on piste obviously). All links and valley pistes were open by the middle of December. We had a bit of rain around Christmas, but that’s not unusual, and the locals just shrug and say it helps to firm up the base.
I can’t give first hand information about the current state of the pistes, because I caught the bug that’s apparently doing the rounds - the bad cough that’s difficult to shake off, so I’ve been more or less holed up in my apartment for about a week.
However friends have been skiing every day and seem to have been enjoying it. And I’m looking out on a little nursery slope and across the village to the Schattberg black run, and it all looks enticing.
The current temperature at village altitude (c.1,000m) is 2C, dropping overnight to 1C, so it’ll be freezing up on the mountains, and the snow cannons will probably be switched on, as they were when I last skied.
The maximum temperature tomorrow is forecast to be 5C, which isn’t really unusual in sunny weather in early January. It’s forecast to turn colder with new snow early next week.
I know that resorts have suffered in parts of France, and the media have apparently focused on that region. However the snow line is lower in Austria, and it’s a different weather system.
I wouldn’t say that it’s been particularly unusual this season. The snow in December was better than some years and worse than others. I’ve experienced extremely cold weather (for a week after I arrived), and the “usual” unseasonably warm spell around Christmas. The first really big dump of the season has been late arriving, but that’s always unpredictable. I can remember seasons in which January was surprisingly springlike, and February very cold and snowy. And of course vice versa.
Fortunately Saalbach has excellent snowmaking and piste maintenance, and it seems to be much better off than skiing areas further west.
Once I have shaken off this lurgi, I’ll get up there and post a report on conditions on Facebook”.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy