Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Avoriaz / Morzine / Les Gets / Chatel - 2011/12 snowreport

Poster: A snowHead
From the pictures I have seen from our chalet the roads are distinctly white! The Routes Des Chavannes is a fairly main road in Les Gets, so if that is suffering then I'm sure they all will be
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We are driving from Geneva on Friday night in trusty "Crumpet the Corsa" hope I don't need to put chains on.....
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skied Chatel/Pre la Joux today. Pistes in excellent conditions but icy down towards the car park. Weather started to close in from midday and blizzard conditions by 3 pm. Chucking down with rain and y verstrong winds here in Thollon now so things looking good for tomorrow up top if the wind dies down. The
roads last night on the drive up to the village were icy with a few scary moments and the roads up to Chatel today looked like they hadnt been salted so take care.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looking like a ton of snow coming over the next few days. Take it easy on the roads everyone, better late than never Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just been woken up to the sound of howling winds and rain in Champery, bit too early to see where the snow line is though. Feels quite warm which is a bit of a worry. Hopefully the temps will drop, the precipitation will turn white and wind dissapear. The snow in Les Crosets was great yesterday although, as usual, the exposed areas had been scoured by high winds. New Grand Conche six man was doing its test runs and the new piste down being readied. It looks lovely and wide and should help with the Mossetttes piste and traditional afternoon bump fest for anyone returning to the Swiss side from France! Massive amount of avalanche canon booms all day yesterday and a couple this morning already so fingers crossed for a Bonza start this weekend. I have my first lessons booked and feel confident I can use my new planks rather than the rock hoppers I used all last season.... NehNeh
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
summer, where is the new chair?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
summer, all the forecasts (for once) seem to agree, it would be warmer last night but cooling from this morning onwards with Meteo Suisse warning of "over 100cm" of snow this week. I saw that new chair lift on the webcam. Does the new piste allow another way down from Mossettes without taking the narrow passage round the side?
As you say, that can be a bit of a nightmare late on, by which time it is usually mogulled to hell and back as well. An alternative route down to Crosets wont work for those of us heading to Champoussin, but it may reduce the traffic which can only be good. Little Angel
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@FlyingStantoni - it replaces the old 2 man GD Conche from Crosets up towards the French border area. It used to have a mid point drop off then carry on up.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks starskee.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
starskee wrote:
it replaces the old 2 man GD Conche from Crosets up towards the French border area

Shame they couldn't replace the Crosets - Pointe de L'Au instead.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
starskee wrote:
it replaces the old 2 man GD Conche from Crosets up towards the French border area. It used to have a mid point drop off then carry on up.

Do you have to go all the way to the top now ?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rjs wrote:
starskee wrote:
it replaces the old 2 man GD Conche from Crosets up towards the French border area. It used to have a mid point drop off then carry on up.

Hope not, top bit's rubbish. Halfway off very handy.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rjs wrote:
starskee wrote:

Hope not, top bit's rubbish. Halfway off very handy.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No it is a high speed 6 man to the top only. The area at the top is now enormous as they have resculpted the whole top area. Like footy pitch and flat, also approach along ridge from Mossettes is wider too! The piste also been made alot bigger back down the Les Crosets on the old rocky blue track cutting along the rock. The blue is about 3 times as wide which is great for getting back without the need for Mossettes! Does not help getting back to Champoussin, but guessing there will be less traffic off Mossettes now.

Were testing is twith weighted bodies today in the wind, guessing doing the final tests to sign it off for the weekend.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
summer, Bollox.

Oh well, progress, etc.

I remember when we had to lace our boots up, etc.

Grump, grump.
snow report
Snowing in Morzine this morning! Hoping the forecast is going to be right and we are going to get loads of snow in the next couple of days......part of me also hopes might not be that much as we have 1st guests arriving from this evening through till Sunday and could be murder on the roads and airports if the forecasters are right...
snow conditions
Looking good this morning Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Chamonix meteo are forecasting up to 1.1m by tomorrow evening, although windblown. As seen in the outlook thread aswell!
Had an amazing day in chatel today! Only the lower chairs were running by the afternoon and I was teaching in the morning. However when I did get the powder skis out it was amazing! Faceshots for 3 hours some nice steeps and drops all in some of the best powder I have skied light with nice float, great for heavy landings after an overshoot!

Looking forward to seeing how this snow falls now! Coming down heavy here at 900m. Might take out the camera tomorrow, hopefully I will have some decent pics to share with you all!
ski holidays
Avoriaz all closed tomorrow
ski holidays
zzz wrote:
Avoriaz all closed tomorrow

Erm.........why?
snow conditions
Ricklovesthepowder, avalanche risk will almost certainly be 5 tomorrow and definitely 4 if not. (Chamonix was 4 today and forecast 5 tomorrow.)
latest report
Storm warning forces closure:

Suite à un avis de tempête le domaine skiable d’Avoriaz sera exceptionnellement fermé le vendredi 16 décembre 2011.

http://www.facebook.com/avoriaz1800
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder, Storm warning.

Must be pretty well forecast and pretty bad.
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder, resorts are often closed after heavy snow - IIRC Tignes was closed for several days a few years ago, and people weren't even allowed to walk along some of the roads. Or was that Val D,Isere? One or the other. High winds will also close lifts, even without shedloads of snow.
snow conditions
Bloody hell! Just checked snow forecast and they have over 100cm of snow to fall between now and Saturday lunchtime!!! Conditions will be amazing, but dangerous after that!
ski holidays
Well all the snow is falling as heavy rain here in the village, yesterday's picturesque ski resort with white roofs and snow on the roads is now almost gone! Hoping the temp drops as it says it will on the meteo tonight. Avalanche canons are booming and shaking the chalet so they are up there securing he mountain at least. Looks like ski school training is a no goer today after the powder technique day yesterday
snow report
Heavy rain and very strong winds here. Snow line about 200 metres above the village. Cold front due around lunchtime bringing the drop in temps and the snow.
latest report
Avoriaz Total closure today Friday 16th.
Rumours of Ardent opening are unfounded, Jack Frost Gill who lives opposite the telecabine reports no cars in the car park. Day off for pisteurs.
Now where's the monopoly board.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Poor Tom Doc. Tell him I'm sorry.
snow conditions
Champery seems shut for storm but lifts open in Champoussin and further over it seems???
snow report
Oh dear, have friends getting on ferry @ Dover tonight with 2 young 'uns heading to Avoriaz....I dont think I will say anything to them, just tell them to pack more blankets! wink
snow conditions
Les Gets... Its been raining all day pretty much... the snow started to melt off the rooftops and the trees in the distance are looking much greener than yesterday Sad
It does look like its now snowing
Hopefully will be better tomorrow
ski holidays
Shut here in Champery, amber storm warnings all day! Hurricane Joachim coming through apparently! Been down to catch up on shopping and every pisteur, lifty and restaurant worker from the mountain are down in Monty catching up on their Christmas Shopping! Two restaurants had their staff rescued by Rat Track last night as unable to get back to the cable car due to high snow fall and zero vis! We are supposed to get snow later but still 4 degrees in the village and raining stair rods!
latest report
Swissmeteo have just updated their weather warning for the PDS area from 3 to 4 out of 5, with snowfall in the mountains to exceed 150cm by tomorrow morning.

http://www.meteosuisse.admin.ch/web/en/danger/danger.html
snow report
Falling hard and fast in the village now, about 5 inches in 20 mins or so!! Hoping we get what Verbier have had all day!!
snow report
Looks like they are working hard to open the lower lifts in and around Champery/Crosets. Salopettes on. Very Happy
ski holidays
Front de Neige webcam in Les Gets needs a wipe please if anyone could oblige? wink
snow conditions
just spoken to friends who have just reached Cluses and they say it is busy, white and not looking forward to the journey up the hill to Avoriaz. Kids have only ever skiied at Easter....they apparently have gone quiet in the back of the car not really understanding what all the fluffy white stuff is, bless them. Anyone know if Avoriaz is open today?
snow report
LOTS AND LOTs of snow overnight in Les Gets and still snowing... going down to check if its open!
snow report
davs, how much in the village? Have fun Very Happy Did you manage to book any lessons?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy