Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Yad Moss and Weardale, North Pennines

Poster: A snowHead
rich.p, have you used your 'normal' skis, many rocks/stones around??
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kitenski,

There are hardly any rocks at Yad Moss . In the 30 years we have been skiing there we have removed the few that did stick out of the peat. There may be the odd frozen molehill but you won't hit any rocks so take your best skis. snowHead

I wouldn't however take your best white goretex jacket. Oil and diesel is rather more prevalent, though if it stays cold even that won't be too much of a problem Laughing

Be aware though that if the weather remains kind we are expecting every skier, boarder, kite skier, ski blader, sledger and their family and friends from across northern england to turn up. It is likely to be VERY busy indeed and we may have to suspend ticket sales fairly early on.

You may get a lot more skiing in if you can come on Friday or perhaps Monday if we are running next week? There is likely to be car parking chaos this W/E and we carn't guarntee against the tow breaking down under maximum load. We are now insisting that only experienced users that can ride a fast Poma without falling off, buy a ticket. We don't like restricting anyones fun but unfortunately when it is this busy we must minimise stoppages and keep the queue moving.

If you get up there though I hope you have a great day.

I'll be the crap telemarker in the oily blue goretex, with a helmet, probably passing out Pomas. Say hi from snowheads. snowHead

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 12-01-10 13:42; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Peter S wrote:
There may be the odd frozen molehill snowHead

You could make a mountain out of that. wink Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Peter S, hi peter, thanks for that, we are planning a midweek trip, but am a bit worried about road conditions getting there....we were thinking of coming tomorrow, but with heavy snow showers forecast tonight am thinking it won't be such a good idea. Is there anyway to check if the roads are clear/ploughed? I think we'd come up the A1, A66, B6277....
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski, http://www.bbc.co.uk/cumbria/travel/roads.shtml

that suggests the b6277 is open, as it mentions another road which joins the 6277 being closed
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nbt, cheers, however this maybe the nail in the coffin of my cunning plan...

A66 Cumbria - Closed due to ice and snow between A685 and Scotch Corner , in Brough
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Police update on the Cybermoor website is saying however that it is still closed beyond yad Moss Sad

http://www.cybermoor.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=3&func=view&catid=2&id=32421

Oh well, the tow should be running tomoorow anyway with acess from the Alston/Brampton direction.
snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski, with the snow looking like it does on the webcams don't worry about rocks Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Maybe I'm missing something but I can't see a road open to get there either from the east or the west!!

From the BBC Travel site http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/local/cumbria.shtml the A686 and A66 are shut due to snow and ice....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski, Up M6 to J43, A69 to Brampton, then the A689 to Alston, finally the B6277 to Yad Moss....you're there snowHead

From the east what about A1/A1(M) J58 for the A68 up to A69, then A686 to Alston & the B6277?
I'm not familiar with the routes from the east
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Rocks, you wouldnt find us skiing on a thick frost if there were rocks. If it looks like a rock its probably a nodule of frozen peat.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lovely video here

http://youtube.com/v/fqcJfirSAmk
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rich.p, are you still planning heading up from Southport this weekend? Fancy sharing transport and a day out Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
OMG!! I should have gone today...hmm there is a copyright on the webcam pic, am I allowed to post it here do people think???

latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski, that looks epic for Northern England Toofy Grin I'm definitely up there at some point over the next few days now! I'm sure it's okay to reproduce as it's crediting the owner.
ski holidays
kitenski, !!!! Epic, and no tow queue.
snow report
bug, thats torn it half the world will be coming now. Just remeber this is a relatively small site - 200-300 people is roughly capacity. About 200 is comfortable with around 10-12min queue. Approaching 300 and its up to around 20-25min queue. If you can grab a week day grab a week day. The busiest weekend at Yad Moss last year saw queue times up around 25-30mins. There are getting on for 1000people in the face book group for Yad Moss a lot of whom will be trying to get here for the weekend. Weardale has gone members only on weekends - to atleast give the die-hard sedge hoppers a taste of propers snow. Even at its peak Weardale had a membership of 600-800 people with a waiting list to join. And then only 100-200 would turn out most of the time.

Where ever you go in the North Pennines weekend it will be mobbed. Capacity across all four clubs is less than 1000 people, probably actually somewhere around 800.
snow conditions
Kitenski - consider it authorised Laughing

As OAP says we expect to get mobbed this weekend and i am afrai we expect to have to suspend ticket sales after about 11am so make sure you get there early if you are going to come.

http://www.yadmoss.co.uk/snowreport.htm
latest report
kristof, unable to go up at the weekend, but thanks for the offer though.

Peter S, are Yad Moss thinking of doing a members only Saturday/Sunday?
ski holidays
No. The idea is to suspend ticket sales at 11am but to continue to allow season ticket holders (always the vast minority) to have tickets after that time if they arrive later.

We may change that plan however if it looks like we are going to get absolutely mobbed on Sunday.
snow report
right assuming no huge dump Sunday night I'm heading up Monday with a few others...now Yad Moss or Weardale.........which to choose Wink
latest report
Kitenski, check the website or answerphone on Sunday night to check that we will be running and that we haven't broken anything important over the W/E !
ski holidays
I'm thinking of taking the kids up for a slide this weekend. Anyone know if Harwood is accessible from the Alston side yet ?

If it's still blocked I think I'll give it a miss till next weekend.
snow conditions
Peter S, know if Helvellyn Direct is filling in yet? Smile
snow conditions
Peter S, looks amazing. Are you the guy we once passed (us going down the hill, virtually at the bottom, you going up) carrying a new window on your back for the hut ??
snow conditions
kitenski, haven't got a partner for the weekend yet so may consider Monday. If you are going up and fancy adding to the group let me know. I think i'd prefer a quiet Monday rather than the rammed weekend that is forecast tbh.
ski holidays
Quieter than it could have been but still busy today. 15minute queue times this afternoon, was going to be around 12mins but then one of the trips went and that backed things up for the rest of the day. Will definately hit 20-25min tomorrow. Prob around 200 people today. One th upside the lift is the bottle neck at Yad Moss so the pistes can be relatively quiet. Hopefully the restriction on sale time for tows mean the worst it'll get is three runs an hour.
snow conditions
why dont you sell 2 hour lift tickets during busy times, that limits slope usera, and spreads them out over the whole day??? just a thought Peter S,
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thursday and Friday were vintage Pennine. Just got to the bottom of the run at Yad Moss today thinking that was probably one of the best I've had in thirty plus years of Pennine skiing must take the camera up next run and the winds really picked up. Yad Moss at the end of the day was a world away from the begining. Tomorrow will be good snow but the great snow has gone for now - blown off down the valley leaving a mixed bag rather than a complete even perfect buttery fast snow. Looks like the week day people had the best of it. Expect tomorrow to be busy. Roads still blocked from Penrith and through Teesdale. Pos the Weardale road as well as this is apparently going to be assesed tomorrow morning because the wind has got up and everything has started to blow in, again.
ski holidays
oldagedpredator, wind picked up earlier in Durham, but has died down again. Mam (near Consett) no doubt has a different story.
snow conditions
Any chance the wind pushes snow into any runs at either place??
snow conditions
That looks fantastic. Now i can't decide whether to stay longer in Aberdeen and go a couple of times to Glenshee, or head back to Durham for the end of the week !

Decisions, decisions snowHead free
snow report
Quote:

Peter S, know if Helvellyn Direct is filling in yet?

doubt it. it really needs a southerly blizzard. I'm guessing from the lakeland reports that the snow is really quite compact, particularly on north facing slopes at the moment.
latest report
Wind strong and from NE today - blowing up Weardale but onto Yad Moss. Its due to shift more Easterly tomorrow which will be across Weardale and slightly more directly down Yad Moss. The moving to SE and strong on Tues and Wed. If everything stays as moblile as it is then all the pennine tows will continue to build and build cover.

NOTE - TOW LIMITS, TICKET SALES AND MEMBERS ONLY. Weardale has reached its membership capacity and for now is not taking day members or new annual members, the former not even during the week. Membership limit is around 700 so its not like pulling up the draw bridge for the select few. Well over half of that number will have joined the club this season. Yad Moss operated an 11:30 cut off for ticket sales on for the Weekend just gone. See website for latest info on day members. Allenheads is not taking any more annual members and will only sell day tickets during the week. Harwood - who knows but prob the same, if you can get there and even if you can the site capacity is prob around 50-70 people. Watch all the websites for latest info as to availability of day memberships.

ROADS - The roads in the North Pennines are high, very high. Highest classiffied roads in England infract. A689 at Killhope is 627m thats 27m higher than the bottom of Yad Moss and only about 30m lower than the top of Weardale most of the other roads in the area the pass from one valley to another go to 500-600m in height. Respect the road closures - the snow is highly mobile and the fetch is very very long which means roads are blocking in minutes. Especially as a lot of the roads have been cut out using the snow blower.
latest report
oldagedpredator, was thinking of a trip to Yad Moss tomorrow, the hotline hasn't been updated since Sunday. Do you know is the tow is likely to run tomorrow?
latest report
kristof,

Quote:
11th January - it is not intended to run the the tow on Tuesday. If the windspeed reduces, the tow may operate later in the week - watch this report for details.

http://yadmoss.co.uk/snowreport2.php
ski holidays
nbt, was watching but was hoping for some insider information Toofy Grin
latest report
Sorry no insider information on opperations - definative and only word is the website.

The big issue with wind isnt so much conditions being to unpleasant to ski in but the roads are very very suspetable to infilling. A lot of them are now trenches cut through drifts and can be impassable in well under an hour.

Unfortunately tows being strom bound is a problem with a proper Pennine winter. The B6277 is above 500m for six miles, the A689 at Killhope and the St Johns Chapel - Langdon Beck road hold joint honours as highest classified roads in England at just under 630m. Hartside is about 570m. Even the lower approach of the A686 from Haydon Bridge goes to over 470m. From what I can work out yesterday the B6277 was closed / blocked over about 12miles from Garrigil area to Langdon Beck. Its now in its second week of being closed. Although part of this is the Cumbria side not being ploughed for 2 miles. I have known this road to be closed for a month. Quite often the council and contractors will be spending every day of that month trying to get it open.
snow conditions
oldagedpredator, Thanks. Kept checking the hotline and it was updated late on last night to say they were not running the tow today but may open Thursday. Looks like with the wind, it can make it impossible to get up there so it is a case of being ready to go when its good.
snow report
I am still hoping to go up to yad when it opens up from Leeds. Do people walk in & carry skis & ski boots??
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy