Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2008 / 2009

Poster: A snowHead
Christmas brings fresh snow, high winds and big pizzas!

Merry Christmas to one and all. More photos and a Christmas day blog can be found here

Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Merry Christmas to everyone as well. Just got home. Great night. Sorry not much time for posting right now, will try to do better. But I think rob@rar, bertie bassett, are doing a great job of keeping you all up to date.thefatcontroller, saw your place today from the outside, looks good. See you when you get out. Hope the wind goes down by tomorrow and the sun comes out again. Good night.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Christmas Day in Les Arcs, or more correctly, The Mont Blanc, magic, atomosphere something else. Did a few runs through the trees on the Vallandry side and off the back of the Derby, found a little untracked stuff but we do need some more snow. At Nancroix, looking out the window this morning, we have had a couple of centimetres, but not the ten promised.

Couple of pics.

ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No photos from me today. Forgot to take camera, and probably wouldn't have used it because it felt bitterly cold. Blue skies returned, but the high wind of yesterday is still with us. It's pretty strong at resort level, so I guess most unpleasant at altitude. Most the upper lifts have been closed today, so difficult to get from 1800 across to 2000. Bumped into snowcrazy and his crew this morning so skied with them for a few hours, blasting around the tree-lined pistes of Peisey. Lots of fun, although some pistes are getting very icy now. A combination of high wind and skier traffic on some pistes has done some damage to what was much nicer conditions earlier in the week. After a welcome coffee and chance to warm up in the Mont Blanc bar, I hit the bumps on the Golf piste (in every sense of the word). An hour of that and I was done for the day!

More snow would be nice, to improve on piste conditions and to bring off-piste back into play. Anyone coming out for New Year should make sure they have sharp edges on their skis and boards!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Any ideas when new snow is forecast guys??
Rob - keep telling you to wait for me to show you how to do the bumps .... but you just wont listen. Laughing
Still back in Uk doing the family Christmas thing - but flying back 2mos ...yippeeeeeee
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, Summed the conditions up for me nicely.. stuck my head out for an hour or so - the red down from derby to the transarc was horrible, so dropped to the vagere and headed back to PP side. Sacked it off after about 90 minutes.

How about a bit of a get s/h get-together for lunch in the arpette on monday? say 12:30 ish?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
At the moment not a flake of fesh stuff on the horizon for the next 7 days. Some hope after that but like everyone knows that can change. Heres hoping it changes soon Cool
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bertie bassett wrote:
How about a bit of a get s/h get-together for lunch in the arpette on monday? say 12:30 ish?

Sounds good to me. See you there.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jayne durham wrote:
Rob - keep telling you to wait for me to show you how to do the bumps .... but you just wont listen. Laughing

It's not often a girl offers to show me how to ride the bumps properly... I'm very grateful for the offer Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Its all about not rushing the turns Rob!! NehNeh
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, have pm'd you re:- Apartment

Hope the pizza tasted as good as it looked, I'll will need to sample that resteraunt in Feb Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gregd, thanks, PM received. Yes, pizza was very tasty although there was too much of it. Skied home like a lump of lard afterwards. One pizza between two and a decent salad would have been much better.

jayne durham, alas, I turn too slowly in bumps Embarassed
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A return to more sensible temperatures today, and happily the wind of the last couple of days has subsided (that's the last time I eat a mountain of sprouts for Christmas Dinner!).

It was still a bit chilly, but not unpleasantly so and the blue skies made it enjoyable. On piste conditions are generally hard-packed, although there was some nice snow down to Villaroger. Some photos from the day:

More photos and stuff on my blog.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, Agreed the snow is good down to Villaroger this afternoon, sorry should have called you Embarassed
We were a little surprised to have to queue up for the Derby lift, particularly at 12 noon on a Saturday!
Now the snow has blown off the roofs have you noticed that most of the roof of the new appartment block in 2000 has not been finished and is just bare roofing boards Toofy Grin That'll be interesting come the spring......
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Boredsurfing wrote:
rob@rar, Agreed the snow is good down to Villaroger this afternoon, sorry should have called you Embarassed

No worries. I was skiing like a numpty today, so glad you didn't see me. If you're across this way on Monday I'm meeting up with Bertie Basset in the Arpette restaurant at 12.30, and hopefully Jayne and Steve Durham will be around as well
snow conditions
Totally agree, on piste is pretty horrible, La Plagne was worse than Les Arcs though. Off piste, or, more acuurately, 'out of site of pistes' was OK though as was 'through the trees'. It certainly ain't brilliant, but you can still find some good / reasonable stuff. Funnnilly enough rob@rar, I skied like a numpty today as well.

I'll be at the Arpette Monday.

Allan
latest report
allanm wrote:
I'll be at the Arpette Monday.

Excellent.
snow report
bertie bassett, rob@rar, Not sure but I will try to see you guys there as well.

Today I was very lazy, skied a little, sat in the sun a lot and drank loads of choclate plus!! Busy for a saturday i thought but then it is the holiday week.

rob@rar, Good to have a ski with you yesterday, pistes were quite fun. Pleased to here you did some real work after you left us.

I will start praying to the snow goods again I think. To much hard snow and I even fell over on some ice (walking around) and hit my head. Ouch. Sad

allanm, rob@rar, Nice pics guys. I must try to remember the camera, but I hate cold hands.

Oh please let it snow soon., rolling eyes
latest report
Made the mistkae of heading up the la plagne side this afternoon, to take a few photies..headed up as far as the top of Biolin before heading back. God it was awful..really really icy not much snow across wide bits of the piste, and lots and lots of traffic. Plus then you had the 'so-called' experts blasting through the nervous intermediates, which didn't help. Really not fun at all. Personally I really wouldn't bother with the Vanoise given that the run to it is so horrible...

looking forward to meeting up with you all on monday...
latest report
bertie bassett wrote:
Really not fun at all. Personally I really wouldn't bother with the Vanoise given that the run to it is so horrible...

Was chatting to snowcrazy a couple of days ago and we said that neither of us had ever skied down to the La Plagne side of the Vanoise Express on anything other than sheet ice. Not sure why that would be the case, because at times I've found perfectly nice snow elsewhere in LP despite the inclined ice rink of the approach to the VE.
snow report
No photos from me today, but conditions unchanged from yesterday. Much busier as New Year is the week the French seem to go on holiday, preferring to stay at home for Christmas. It's a good idea to avoid the pistes and lifts closest to the individual resorts as they are much busier than the more distant parts of the ski domain. Villaroger is always a good bet when it's busy.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
Was chatting to snowcrazy a couple of days ago and we said that neither of us had ever skied down to the La Plagne side of the Vanoise Express on anything other than sheet ice. Not sure why that would be the case.......

rob@rar, North facing, doesn't get much sun, relies very heavily on man made snow and gets a lot of traffic. Peisey side gets the sun. If there hasn't been fresh snow for a while the run on down into Montchavin is known as the 'icy wall of death'. I am willing to bet that if you turned once by the Vanoise at the moment you would slide all the way down to Montchavin.
snow conditions
rob@rar, Good pics.
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
bertie bassett wrote:
Really not fun at all. Personally I really wouldn't bother with the Vanoise given that the run to it is so horrible...

Was chatting to snowcrazy a couple of days ago and we said that neither of us had ever skied down to the La Plagne side of the Vanoise Express on anything other than sheet ice. Not sure why that would be the case, because at times I've found perfectly nice snow elsewhere in LP despite the inclined ice rink of the approach to the VE.

Rob - I was with a scared friend & an instructor once, & he found a quiet, often closed route down to the VE that was relatively pleasant. I've not managed to find it since. Must pore over the map sometime, coz it didnt seem to be signposted. The same instructer once also took me down a lovely wooded route to Nancroix - only a bit of it was off piste - & I thoroughly enjoyed that. Very Happy
latest report
genepi, On the way down Pierre Blanches take the red 'L'esselet' (often closed), then quiet very easy blue (think called 'route des bauches') takes you very close to Vanoise. Look at the La Plagne piste map, its the blue that runs from the bottom of Les Crozats. In decent snow you can ski straight from Roche Del Mio to the Vanoise.
snow conditions
Great fun today but very icy windblown piste, lots of idiot blasters and out of control beginners, certainly busyier than last New Year, slopes down to VE seemed OK to me Confused Confused
Runs back to Montalbert were riddled with loads of icy man made stacks of snow which slowed things down a lot Sad
ski holidays
genepi wrote:
The same instructer once also took me down a lovely wooded route to Nancroix - only a bit of it was off piste - & I thoroughly enjoyed that. Very Happy

After the gentle off-piste did you follow a winding road through the forest than catch a bus to the bottom of the yogurt pots?
latest report
rob@rar, Yes - a lovely peaceful end to the day Very Happy We crossed a stream at some point.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
genepi, Vallon des Rosset I think it's called. A lovely route.
snow report
15cm forecast on snowguess for the 31st into the 1st.... was ~30cm before, so who knows what will evolve.... Puzzled
snow conditions
rob@rar, Aah, thank you. I'll look at the map & find it now wink
snow report
ok - so where were you all?????
Forged our way through the crowds at Arpette this lunchtime - horrible experience.
Hoped to see Rob or Snowcrazy coz they are the ones we would recognise...... but to no avail.
After 2 sweeps of the area we gave up . So Bertie and Allan if you were there... sorry we missed you. To snowcrazy and Rob Evil or Very Mad n*(not really xx)
It was soooooo cold today.
ski holidays
jayne durham wrote:
ok - so where were you all?????
Forged our way through the crowds at Arpette this lunchtime - horrible experience.
Hoped to see Rob or Snowcrazy coz they are the ones we would recognise...... but to no avail.
After 2 sweeps of the area we gave up . So Bertie and Allan if you were there... sorry we missed you. To snowcrazy and Rob Evil or Very Mad n*(not really xx)
It was soooooo cold today.

Sorry Jayne

Wasn't sure whether you were turning up, met Rob@rar, Mrs Rob@Rar and AllanM on the patio outside we did a couple of laps looking for spaces to sit down before we bailed down to 1600 and resto 3 arcs.

Conditions today were hard-packed and cold - but the word of the day is 'marbles' - which describes the snow down to 1600 which was very artifical and marbley..
ski holidays
Sorry Jayne, it was chaotic in the Arpette so we didn't hang around and weren't sure if anyone else was turnig up.

bertie bassett wrote:
but the word of the day is 'marbles' - which describes the snow down to 1600 which was very artifical and marbley..

And his phrase of the day was "200 yards of bollocks" after a particularly tasty section of hardpack off the Clocheret lift Smile
snow conditions
No probs - we werent sure we were coming out today as we were both ill with coldy things over Xmas!- which is why we didnt try to make a firm arrangement ... just popped in to Arpette to be sociable - but agree it was carnage in there.
Hope you had a good lunch - catch up with you at some point. I'm off to our appartment "Assembly Generale" tomorrow am. Thought I ought to make the effort, but no idea if I will manage to understand any of it!!!! I will be the only "Anglais" there. Confused
ski holidays
Conditions remain much the same, with a continued deterioration of piste conditions, mainly through wind damage. Pistes in more sheltered areas remain in good quality, but more snow is needed to improve the quality of skiing across the domain. In the meantime hard-pack snow is good for developing technique (which is what I keep telling myself, without much conviction it should be said!).

More photos on my blog.

snow report
jayne durham, Sorry too, but the Arpette was really manic, no way of finding anywhere to sit.

--- The other word mentioned many times today, was 'bullet-proof' it certainly wasn't a boarders day. Earlier in the day I realised the only place to be was NOT on piste, due to traffic and lack of snow, but you can still find some OK stuff if you know where to look, and not necessarily that far 'off piste'. The majority of people here at the moment , it would appear, want to stay in site of a piste, so the resort is not quite as bad as it may seem.

I'm praying for snow tonight though....

rob@rar, Jane, bertie bassett really enjoyed the afternoon, hope to see you again soon.

Allan
snow report
allanm, rob@rar, jayne durham, bertie bassett, Hey guys sorry I missed you all today, by the time we had finished playing with our trancievers and headed over for lunch it was late, then we saw the numbers at the Arpete and went to the Altiport instead. They do really nice jacket potatos this year. Hope to catch up with you guys later in the week.

Great pics rob, i agree we really do need some snow and I wish all these people would go home Twisted Evil

There is a race on Tuesday sponsored by Hambro the sweety people, if you finish the coures you get some. It is on the 1800 stade piste at 12.30 if anyone is interested. Just turn up, registar for free and race. Meeting point is bottom of race course from after 12.15 I guess. Enjoy.
snow report
Well I think I missed the race wink

I really enjoyed todays conditions, I think it being a bit warmer then it made the pistes a little softer and less icy. Certainly our instructor led tour down to 1950 and back via Bois de l'ours (lift) felt better than the '200m of bollox' we had the day before. According to radio les arcs, then it's definitely forecast snow for tomorrow but then hey, that's almos as good as snow-lies.com, althouhg judging by the clouds that seem to have turned up for the 1st time in 10 days, then perhaps there's method in the madness...
ski holidays
Weather looks like it has finally broken form the grip of the blocking high. Warmer, cloudier and calmer than the last 10 days or so. Piste conditions slightly softer as bertie said, especially in the afternoon when the bumps on the Golf piste weren't quite as icy as the last few days. Gentle day for me today, with just a bit of bumps practice. God, I'm rubbish at it Sad

It's fairly busy across the resort, with queues for the main lifts out of the villages typically in the order of 10-15 minutes. All that will change on Saturday when the New Year visitors leave, and the resort will assume ghost town qualities for two or three weeks.

Some snow is forecast, but I'm not sure it will amount to a significant amount. We'll see...

More photos on my blog.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy