Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian Snow Report 2007/2008

Poster: A snowHead
djfletcher, you have some excellent photos of Hochkonig there!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

Don't wait at this bus stop. Niederalp - one hour drive from Vienna.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just back from a few days in Kaprun, bought my Salzburger Super Ski Card season ticket and skied Areitbahn / Zell on Thursday, Schonleiten / Saalbach on Friday, Schattberg circuit to Bernkogel via Hinterglemm on Saturday

Thursday was good with firm pistes, excellent skiing and not very busy

Friday was excellent with powder overlying pisted runs and almost deserted pistes, probably due to the cold and wind, had an excellent day

Saturday was good again, though the pistes were softer as the temperature had risen to above freezing, got crispy again around 3pm when the temperature dropped, quite quiet pistes again

Tried out some Fischer RC4 WorldCup SC skis in 160 length, very good ski, excellent on the firm and icy pistes, I enjoyed trying these as an alternative to the Metron B5 I usually ski, no plans to buy a pair though, more product testing to be done!

In summary, if you're looking for excellent skiing early in the season, head for Austria, I stayed in Kaprun and didn't have to resort to the glacier at all.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Saalbach had 20cm fresh snow, now it totals 160cm. I'll be there next week and try to post reports and pics from the resort.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tauplitz is reporting 40cm fresh.

Whereas Werfenweng is reporting 80cm fresh in the last 24 hrs ....
http://de.skiinfo.com/Schneebericht/Werfenweng-Ski-Board-Wander-Arena-EATXWERFENWE-100-de.jhtml
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
heading over to saalbach tomorrow for few days boarding . looking good for snow , bit less cloud would be nice though wink
will post report when back.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
blue sky today in St Anton, but cloudy this evening, maybe snow later Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dingdong wrote:
skiingfool, Will the skiwelt be open during the week as well as the weekend?

Hi there - we visited the opening das (Nov 17th). Not all lifts are up and running, but still much more than one could go in one day. Open weekends only, I am sorry.

I started in Scheffau, they announce 1m but that is a miracle... it gives a good but less than perfect coverage. How can I upload a picture here?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is itt too good to be true. The forecast for thee next few days in SkiAmade is mega snow. For those of you who are over there is the snow as good as we are hoping? Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arlberg snowing overnight
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Some of the lower slopes in some Austrian resorts are starting to look a bit ropey today.

Pistes below roughly 1k meters have been battered by the rain this past week.

Places like Kitzbuehel could do with a refresh.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whitegold, While at the same time, pistes in higer resorts have had another big dump overnight.

I'm looking at teh webcams for Zell am Ziller, and there was plenty of snow yesterday, but even more today Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
alex_heney, same in Obertauern Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hintertux-ish

http://85.214.49.20/wz/pics/MS_115470_g05.png
http://85.214.49.20/wz/pics/MS_1247_ens.png

I'll be there Wed wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
back from saalbach after 2.5 days boarding. empty slopes with knee high powder off piste ( now tracked thanks to me Blush ) and nice soft snow on piste . fresh 10cm on friday night . full runs / lifts open, all with very good covering of decent snow . best days boarding i have ever had. Looks like there is more than enough snow already to last the season . will post some pics once i unpack camera.
ski holidays
I am in Saalbach at the moment. Today was absolutely perfect.
All the pistes are open and only a few people on them.
Skiing is excellent. Some fresh pics from today:

snow report
Looks like Fri and Sat may be significantly colder than -20degC on the glacier in Hintertux - and that's before wind chill... Shocked
snow report
It is raining at village-level in Kitzbuehel and Mayrhofen today. The cold snap can't come soon enough for those guys.
latest report
Well Hauser at 725m is holding up very well

http://www.hauser-kaibling.at/de/wetter/

And the forecast looks good for next few days.
snow report
Whitegold, do you actually know anything about Austria? If you did, you'd realise that Kitzbuehel is fairly typical of Austrian resorts in that it has a big lift up from a low-lying village to the skiing area, and while there are runs which go all the way down into town, it is normally only possible to ski them in the height of the season, and even then there will be rocks and roots showing in places. Its just about normal for it to be raining in the town/village and snowing heavily on the mountain, as the current forecast and snow reports make it very clear - http://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/Austria/Kitzbuhel_snow.html

Mayrhofen is the same, as is Kaprun, Zell am See, and many others - there are few resorts in Austria which could be considered to be truly ski-in/ski-out unless your accommodation is half-way up the mountain and can only be reached in a 4x4 with chains or on a skidoo. It makes no difference - the skiing is still excellent, especially at the moment. Kitz has double the average amount of snow for this time of year at the top of the mountain, and around the average at the bottom. Mayrhofen has almost 3 times the average on top, and the average at the bottom, but the only runs to village level don't actually go into Mayrhofen - instead they are at Finkenberg, Vorderlanersbach and Mühlbach, and these are still limited.
latest report
ousekjarr wrote:
Whitegold, do you actually know anything about Austria? If you did, you'd realise that Kitzbuehel is fairly typical of Austrian resorts in that it has a big lift up from a low-lying village to the skiing area, and while there are runs which go all the way down into town, it is normally only possible to ski them in the height of the season, and even then there will be rocks and roots showing in places. Its just about normal for it to be raining in the town/village and snowing heavily on the mountain, as the current forecast and snow reports make it very clear - http://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/Austria/Kitzbuhel_snow.html

Mayrhofen is the same, as is Kaprun, Zell am See, and many others - there are few resorts in Austria which could be considered to be truly ski-in/ski-out unless your accommodation is half-way up the mountain and can only be reached in a 4x4 with chains or on a skidoo. It makes no difference - the skiing is still excellent, especially at the moment. Kitz has double the average amount of snow for this time of year at the top of the mountain, and around the average at the bottom. Mayrhofen has almost 3 times the average on top, and the average at the bottom, but the only runs to village level don't actually go into Mayrhofen - instead they are at Finkenberg, Vorderlanersbach and Mühlbach, and these are still limited.

You're not painting a very good picture of Austria!

It is low. It rains a lot. The skiing is hard to get to. The pistes are rocky and grassy.

All sounds a bit grim.
snow conditions
Whitegold, get a clue - the villages are low, so easy access, and therefore the food and drink prices don't include a bump for someone having to unload it all onto a snocat. The mountains are high - generally 2000-3500m, and usually snow-sure.

It rains in the village occasionally, but that's an essential part of having snow on the tops. It also snows there - look at the freezing level, and the webcams. Strangely enough, not everyone in a ski resort is there to ski, and being able to get about without needing skis or crampons and an ice axe makes the resort more attractive for the non-skiers,

The skiing is harder to get to than in some resorts, but not excessively so - for example, its not a 15 minute drive from the accommodation to the lifts, as it is in some resorts, but it is also not a case of walk out the door, strap on your skis, and head downhill.

The pistes are well managed and groomed, and have good cover - its the runs into the bottom of the valley (which are officially shown as ski routes in most cases) which are lacking cover at the start and end of the season, and to be fair these are basically only used as home runs to avoid taking the lift down.

I'm glad it sounds grim to you - I'd hate to think of you actually trying it, as the shock might kill you. Laughing
snow report
Whitegold wrote:

All sounds a bit grim.

Glad you thnk so.

It might keep you away, we don't need eternal pessimists making people miserable around the resorts Smile
snow conditions
I can think of a few "legendary powder" resorts in Canada where it rains quite often in the villages / resorts.
latest report
waynos, are they grim too, or are they in harmony and play a sympony in seventh heaven Very Happy
snow report
Another day in Saalbach. It has been snowing all day (even at village level Very Happy ).
By the time the lifts closed, my skis sank deep in the snow I was not able to see them.
More snow is coming on the following days.
The situation here looks very promising for the rest of the year.
ski holidays
kerekip, you're not painting a very good picture of Saalbach - Whitegold, would rather you got your snow shovel out and returned the offending flakes from whence they came wink

Any decent pics for the rest of us snowHead
ski holidays
kerekip wrote:
Another day in Saalbach. It has been snowing all day (even at village level Very Happy ).
By the time the lifts closed, my skis sank deep in the snow I was not able to see them.
More snow is coming on the following days.
The situation here looks very promising for the rest of the year.

I wish I was going on 25th January Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In fact Hintertux Fri/Sat looks like being as cold as -25degC, but thankfully no precipitation and little wind. Also pretty sunny (unless in the valley floor)! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
djfletcher, Just looking at your web cam again . .I was the 7,500 person to log onto it since you started last month. I look every day. Thanks for setting it up. Very Happy
ski holidays
It was really grim skiing powder on the Schmittenhöhe last Monday and then not hitting a rock all the way to the zell am see base station - NOT Madeye-Smiley
snow report
This is my third day in Saalbach. I can't believe that it has been snowing non-stop for two days.
Knee deep powder on the pistes and even more off piste. Anyway, it is impossible to recognize the border between on-piste and off piste.
Skiing is fantastic, the best snow I had for a long time and only a few people on the slopes.
The village itself is also sinking in snow.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 12-12-07 17:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Byron Gates wrote:
djfletcher, Just looking at your web cam again . .I was the 7,500 person to log onto it since you started last month. I look every day. Thanks for setting it up. Very Happy

Thats alright- It is good that people are using it.

Its also good for the guest so they can see we have snow-especially when the uk media say there is no snow in Austria like last year!!! So far this year the skiing has been excellent!-still snowing here.Its a shame we have no-one staying next week since the conditions are so good. We had 2 lots of guest last year when the skiing was not that great. Oh well!!

Nigel
latest report
Hi, arriving in Ellmau on Sat for 1 week but may want to stop on for a second week ie 22 Dec thru to 29th Dec
Would need accommodation for 4 adults and a return flight back to Manchester UK anyone got any idea if this would be possible?
I imagine I could get accommodation as its early in the season but how do I get a one way flight back to UK - all the flights I
have looked at are return or just to Austria not back?
snow conditions
Hi dg3,
I'm off to Kaprun for New Year and am looking for a shop to rent skis with a view to purchase.

Any suggestions?
snow conditions
hopingforsnow,

Hi - a few points... you're in the wrong forum really - this would be better in 'Resorts', but nevermind... Flights do seem strangely awkward.... who are you flying out with? One idea is that Ryanair fly to Liverpool - currently available at €0.01 single on the 29th - so maybe if you get a cab to Manchester on the way out and one back from the 'pool on the return it will be do-able.
Regarding accomodation, there is a HUGE difference betweeen 15th-22nd (everywhere empty) and 22-29th (everywhere full) so def check in advance... You'll get somewhere though - maybe move down to scheffau or soll - both have quite a few beds... I'm off to scheffau tomorrow - loads of snow, empty runs.... "Oh, the Good Life..." Very Happy
snow conditions
Where to go in Austria right now? I'll be there tomorrow for a month and have no plan. So where's the best snow at right now?
snow conditions
j, everywhere !
ski holidays
Matthew Way, in the absence of an answer from dg3, there are about 5 shops in Kaprun which will happily part you from your cash in return for skis, both hire and sale. I have no idea whether they are any good on the sale side, but I have nothing but praise for the hire staff at Sport Moreau at the lower end of Schloßstraße, by the statue. They've always provided excellent service when we've been there, and they seem to know their stuff - plus they remembered us 2 months later when we went back for another long weekend, had our details on file, and gave us a "loyalty" discount...
snow report
Matthew Way,

Just get your skis from the Skischule (ski school I think?) in town. I was there at the end of November just after the last huge dump. It was awesome. I'm a boarder but my mates are skiers and each bit of kit they hired was brand new for the season. Good fast service as well. I think it was about EUR29 a day for hire.

chivdog
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy