Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2022/23 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@TomBH, the do build seats/ standing in the arrival area, your best bet for tickets is to contact the tourist office, they are always helpful .
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Crowed December skiing conditions, this is a round 2.30 yesterday (Wednesday), coming down the Bernkogel (146) you can see the Kholmais (152) in the background

snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
radar wrote:
Crowed December skiing conditions, this is a round 2.30 yesterday (Wednesday), coming down the Bernkogel (146) you can see the Kholmais (152) in the background

@Niederau aged 4, this picture nicely captures a response to your question re links between the pistes. It’s a really simple walk across from one to the other (a lift on the Kohlmais side from the piste, averts any steps/up hill walk)

Looking at a map to your accommodation, it appears to be a cut across to the right at the bottom of the tree line, looking down from where photo is taken
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Niederau aged 4, See the above post from @ribblevalleyblue,
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@radar, thanks , couldn’t work out how to tag @niederau and your pic
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@kb36, many thanks.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ribblevalleyblue, @radar, thanks both for the helpful replies. Much appreciated.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ribblevalleyblue, you need to put brackets and a b at both ends of the name, the easiest is to tap on the posters name which puts it into your comment box Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@TomBH The WC races can be viewed from beside the piste by non-skiers if they take the Zwolferkogel gondola up to mid-station, where there is usually a temporary grandstand and large TV screens and the commentary (so they get to see and hear the finishing times as well).

There is a good picture that shows the finish area here > https://www.saalbach.com/de/saalbach2025/Volunteer

You can see the stands (which require a ticket - last time it cost about €10 for a standing ticket and could be bought online) and some other spectators lining the last 100m of the run and watching for free.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@TomBH, above post from @quinton, gives you a bit more
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Tatmantours great to see you back online with the kind of updates I'm interested in... all about the bars! Been coming to Saalbach for 10+ years and after Covid and last years mask and bar rules I've got my fingers crossed that this year will be the best ever.

Brought some experienced skiers and newbies to Saalbach with me last year.. and as they said to me whilst we celebrated a day on the pistes by jumping and singing with Spacey at Soulhouse "Saalbach really does have it all!".
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@radar, @quinton,

Thanks both. I suspect the middle station might be an option for them as they would like the atmosphere and being up the mountain (it also means me and Mrs BH could join them via the slopes). As suggested I've dropped the tourist office an email.

Hope those out there now are enjoying the snow.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Niederau aged 4, @ribblevalleyblue,
From the Kholmais looking at the Bernkogel lift station

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@radar, making me very jealous and impatient now!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Fab day today - several inches of freshies overnight...

Cold, but cleared mid morning so excellent skiing conditions...

Fantastic lunch in KralerAlm in Leogang...

Ended the day in the Goaßstall.... Toofy Grin

snow conditions
My favourite apres bar anywhere, that.
ski holidays
The halo over the Zwolferkogel

snow report
@geoffers, are those goats real or fake? I can't tell!
snow report
why would one choose Saalbach over Hinterglemm or Hinterglemm over Saalbach?
ski holidays
@Mother hucker, people develop an affinity for one or the other, sometimes based on where they first stayed and became familiar with, and sometimes based on a particular aspect that they like.
For example some people might like Hinterglemm for its night skiing or its snow park. Others might prefer Saalbach for its attractive village centre and more central location in the Ski Circus.
I like both villages, and you would have a satisfying ski holiday in either.
On balance I prefer Saalbach (where I live, so I try to be objective and suppress any bias). In addition to the above-mentioned reasons, I prefer the ambiance, the après-ski, the greater ski convenience (more compact and easier to get back to one’s accommodation), and the last run of the day down the Kohlmais.
I also like the ease with which I can access my favourite runs and restaurants over towards Leogang and Viehhofen.
Also (though not a factor for me) Saalbach’s nursery areas are better.
But it’s easy enough to travel between the villages on the ski buses or taxis (a 5 minute ride), to enjoy the facilities of both, and to treat it in effect as one single resort.
latest report
@denfinella,
Quote:

are those goats real or fake? I can't tell!
definitely real, by the stairs down to the loos - that's a mama-goat & her 2 kids: Dad was in the next stall.

First day of their season I think, so they were quite interested in the party atmosphere - probably get quite bored by it all as the season progresses Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Returning home today after a week in Hinterglemm. The week started off very cold, good snow cover on the open pistes( it was mostly man made, but forms an excellent base). Had some lovely sunny days. By yesterday most of the area was open. Looking forwards to my longer visit in January.

As for the boots saga, at first I decided to take my boots back to. The UK and would get them sorted in Castleford. However, I had a chat with the team in Gumpol and they said to just call in when I get back in January and they would sort them out “ no problem”. So Skis and boots all tucked up in the cellar at the Penhab. Taking everything else home as it’s been over here for a year, probably needs a wash!
snow conditions
Hope the temps drop for those going out for Christmas, rather warm according to the webcams and obvious signs of some melt.

My barometer of conditions is the Widenkarkogel cam, the concrete path from the front door of the hut has been getting further out each day this week.

That said, still looks good to ski down to base at Kohlmais and no obvious signs of grass, so they clearly got a nice base down.
snow report
@ribblevalleyblue, skied over to Leogang and back yesterday, returning down piste 152. No problems with lack of snow. At this time of the season the snow at altitude is protected by lower temperatures, and the lower slopes are mainly in the shade. Another “barometer” is whether you can ski across the road outside the Hinterhag - and you can.
ski holidays
tatmanstours wrote:
@ribblevalleyblue, skied over to Leogang and back yesterday, returning down piste 152. No problems with lack of snow. At this time of the season the snow at altitude is protected by lower temperatures, and the lower slopes are mainly in the shade. Another “barometer” is whether you can ski across the road outside the Hinterhag - and you can.

Of course another good barometer and also the fantastic barometer of Mr Tatman being on the ground to give us the live reality
ski holidays
Blimey, just looked at the weather today and saw a forecast high of 15!! Shocked

Was it really that warm? Fingers crossed for a cool down and top up... not that I'm obsessing months before I get there or anything Very Happy
ski holidays
Is there a ski shop in Zell or S-H that does a basic ski tune and wax with a quick turn-around? Something like drop off after 3pm and pick up the following morning?
latest report
@tatmanstours, hello MrT, hope you surived the Rave on Snow! Is the Hinterhag open this season?

@Rowlski, dont fret, it will be just fine there is enough snow. Its not that uncommone to have temps like that here in December. I think it was in 2018 ? We had little snow, then in the New Year it just snowed and snowed and snowed, in fact so much we didnt actually ski as we were so physically kaputt from snow shovelling!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@monkbeer, SkiPro has shops in both Saalbach and Zell am See - but almost all rental shops offer overnight servicing.
ski holidays
@Kooky, definitely open, Mr T posted from there on Facebook a few days ago
ski holidays
@monkbeer, Hansi (Hansi’s Best-Price, next door one to Bobby’s Pub in Saalbach) gets skis serviced overnight.
ski holidays
@Kooky, just staggered in from the Hinterhag. But it was a small, intimate gathering and the singing (or rather caterwauling - Evi was on stage) was curtailed at about 18.00. After that we just sat and had a drink and chatted, and it was a pleasant atmosphere. I’m anticipating that the party might take off later in the week.
snow report
For the snow worriers, I guided a couple of friends round the valley today, in the anti-clockwise direction, the complete circuit. Other friends went to Leogang and Fieberbrunn. The pistes were in reasonable condition.
snow report
Are there any decent guides to the circuits? I know its supposedly signposted.
Also how about squeezing in a day at Zell-am-See (or morning)
ski holidays
Definitely in the camp of snow worrier Very Happy Though I'm not really worried, I know there'll be some stuff open and beggining and end of season always riskiest. I'm not out till end March so hoping to see a nice big base building.

To be fair Saalbach Hinterglemm, and Austria in general, seem to be fairing a lot better through this warm spell than the Western Alps, some pretty horrible webcams and reports elsewhere...

Glad to hear its enjoyable for those out there at the moment.

@tatmanstours, how is it in the village this year, do you think back to pre Covid busyness?
ski holidays
Does anyone have any experience of staying near the Reiterkogelbahn and in particular with regards to noise after about 10pm? I am already turning my attention to 2024 and a return to S/H. I stayed on the opposite side of Hinterglemm last year and walking into town at night the lights and noise from Goatßtall were a lovely backdrop but at what time does it pipe down, as it were? I have found a decent pension near Reiterkogelbahn and I have no doubt we would pop into Goatßtall but I may not be as pleased if it is still bouncing at 1am just above my window! Google says open until 0200. Just wondering whether it would be a vicinity to visit but not so wise to stay? Ta
snow conditions
@toyah807, the Goaßstall is open for Apres until about 6pm, then closes to be transformed into a reasonable restaurant between about 7 and 9, and then becomes a nightclub between about 10 and 1ish. The outdoor noise is gone by 6:30 normally, and while the music inside is loud at night you will probably not hear it beyond the lift line.
snow report
@ousekjarr, surely the Goaßstall après party closes at around 7.30pm - at least it always did when I was a regular attendee?
snow report
@Rowlski, I would think that it’s likely to be as busy, although always difficult to judge around Christmas. The Hinterhag opened earlier than usual - possibly a good sign that things are back to normal.
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, the Goaßstall exists in a strange wormhole in the space-time continuum - clocks seem irrelevant there, and a 30 minute drink finds you leaving 3 hours later.

I said "about" - the website will no doubt provide some suggested times, but I've been ushered off the premises before 7pm previously when we were the last people there
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy