Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Avoriaz / Morzine / Les Gets / Chatel - 2011/12 snowreport

Poster: A snowHead
paulio, we went this time last year for the opening weekend and although they quoted about the same stat it meant that all that was really closed was one or two of the linked pistes with Champery, the unpisted skicross runs and some of the runs in 'The Stash' area. To be honest these closures were largely ignored anyway.

You could ski down to Ardent and Prodains no problem, so it may well be the same this year (apologies if it is not the case).

One other thing - if possible buy the ski pass online or at Ardent/Prodains - the queues in Avoriaz were horrendous (although the lift queues were largely OK)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
paulio wrote:
Avoriaz claims 80% opening - anyone know which 80%? Prodains and/or Argent running?

Most of the pisted runs will be open. It'll be the snowcross and similar runs that aren't pisted that will be closed. Things like the Crozats bowl.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
*rubs hands with glee*

Exxxxxcelllllllenttttt.

We're going to have a play in Les Gets tomorrow afternoon, and rock up to Avoriaz on Sunday morning.

We have also noticed that planning and packing for 1 night away, to a resort that is in literal terms 'just up the road' has been as much effort as coming for an entire week from the UK.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
paulio, Confirmed by Tourist Office Super Morzine will be open as will Ardent. Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowandtrek, amazing news. Thanks for the update.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Since the snow started I've been watching the Les Gets web cams with a growing warm feeling until just now, I saw a couple of boarders and a skier slide past the Croix chairlift outside the Yeti.

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Damn you to hell!!!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

It should be me. Sad
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
andyph, if it's any consolation, that will be me tomorrow.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
paulio, I shall be looking out for you. Just remember to smile for the camera. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just back from a great mornings ski in Avoriaz. We were on the slopes by 9am and conditions are excellent especially on the Lindarets side.Youngest daughter had a free hours snow board lesson in the 'Fete de Glisse' and apparently we have to go back tomorrow for another go!! Rounded off with a great lunch at Les Clarines in Lindarets.
Looking good on the forecasts for more snow this week!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowandtrek wrote:
Just back from a great mornings ski in Avoriaz. We were on the slopes by 9am and conditions are excellent especially on the Lindarets side.Youngest daughter had a free hours snow board lesson in the 'Fete de Glisse' and apparently we have to go back tomorrow for another go!! Rounded off with a great lunch at Les Clarines in Lindarets.
Looking good on the forecasts for more snow this week!!

Sounds great. We'll be there tomorrow - hopefully there'll be some fresh snow all week!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Weather for 2466m, doesn't look to shabby wink

snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ricklovesthepowder, Not sure about the gales force winds
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
chrisb, thats km/ph, not mph. It isnt to bad. Will blow it into the correct places anyway!!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Was at Les Gets on its little pre-opening day yesterday. As you can see, there was pretty much no snow and the pistes were dangerously crowded.

latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
paulio, Looks horrible. Why the hell do they allow so many people on at once?
snow report
Smile

It was a great weekend up there. The main bit of Avoriaz was full of braying unwashed students, but the Lindarets area today (and especially Les Gets yesterday, as you can see) were wonderfully uncrowded.

The snow was 'good'. Not great. Icy and gravelly in the shade, slushy in the sun, and not yet deep enough. Even at higher altitudes there were a few twigs poking through, and some pebbly bits to avoid.

Still, it's only mid November, as we've been saying for months. So there's still time. Twisted Evil

Huge thanks to DallyPaul (and DallyNina of course!). Their little B&B is a cracker, thoroughly recommended. Thanks Uncle Paul and Auntie Nina!
snow report
paulio, sad to see your journey was wasted. Terrible weather from the look of it, too.
snow report
paulio, Mid December don't you mean!
snow report
It was a joke Richard.
snow report
paulio, Just seen the little toothy devil grin. Didnt spot it before hand! Conditions next weekend should be pretty good though!
ski holidays
andyph wrote:
paulio, sad to see your journey was wasted. Terrible weather from the look of it, too.

Yeah. Still at least someone enjoyed themselves.

ski holidays
paulio, for someone so small, you have a very good grasp of the english language
snow report
paulio, very cute. Happy When did you shave off the tache?
snow conditions
paulio, very cute. Happy When did you shave off the tache?
snow conditions
Ricklovesthepowder, With all due respect, what's the point of looking at the snow forecast prediction for 2466m when all the pds skiing is below 2200m?
snow report
paulio, very dear. Little Angel
snow conditions
zzz wrote:
Ricklovesthepowder, With all due respect, what's the point of looking at the snow forecast prediction for 2466m when all the pds skiing is below 2200m?

Because the highest part is 2466m maybe? Granted that all of it is below this, but it is still a good indicator of forecast snow at the top.
snow report
paulio, Love the photo's and the humour they have created. Great to have you stay. Hope to see you all again soon. It was a pleasure.
Tom Doc and Mrs Tom Doc arrived safely, although in a second bus as mine decided 3rd was the only gear, just as we arrived in Les Gets. Another huge Renault bill I fear. Oh Joy!!!
Got to go and give my chuckle muscle a break. Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DallyPaul, we were discussing Renault unreliability at the dinner table last night. Oh, irony!
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
zzz wrote:

Because the highest part is 2466m maybe? Granted that all of it is below this, but it is still a good indicator of forecast snow at the top.

Well, the problem being that your top is a good 266m of vertical hiking to get to.

It's really no indicator of conditions at all...

You really need to be looking at forecasts for 1,000m or maybe at a push 1,500m to get a good idea of what you're in for...

And 2,000m as a top forecast.

A totally different marmite des poissons.
ski holidays
paulio,

Good looking boy, your wife must be stunning Twisted Evil
latest report
Never seen a 'Red Vigilance' on meteo-chamonix.org!!! And the 'wigglies' are looking very good for the end of the week.

Off for a ski again this morning. zzz, are you here?
snow report
paulio wrote:
Was at Les Gets on its little pre-opening day yesterday. As you can see, there was pretty much no snow and the pistes were dangerously crowded.

That looks terrible (the snow, not the kid). Hope it improves before I get there for christmas. wink
snow report
paulio, Minibus was just the linkage, so not as drastic as I feared. Back on the road tomorrow PM.
Tom Doc and Anita had a great first day, even if the vis was poor, the 20cm of fresh on top of the groomed piste was allegedly quite nice.
It dumped most of the day.
Nina and I will go and test it out tomorrow morning after breakfast. Just for commercial reference purposes you understand Blush need to be able to properly inform snowHead Jez who arrives on Thursday, where is good etc.
Front door area all sparkly clean & new and finished, will let you use it next visit Laughing
snow conditions
DallyPaul wrote:
Front door area...finished

Yeah!
latest report
DallyPaul, snow looks rubbish, so glad i'm not there Sad

Seriously though, try not to use it all up before Christmas ... please!
latest report
Meteoswiss have just issued a stage 3 'danger' alert for the PDS area, with over 1 metre of snow expected over the next few days:

http://www.meteosuisse.admin.ch/web/en/danger/danger.html
ski holidays
FreeBeer, I hope so as my Missus have just told me that it is raining in Les Gets right now Evil or Very Mad
latest report
How's Tom Doc getting on then?
ski holidays
Looks like the snow-rain level will go up to 1400-1700m a times but the general trend is down, and will probably be at Geneva Airport level by the weekend; just in time to generate some festive travel chaos. I love the fact that >100cm of snow is 3/5 on the Meteoswiss weather warning scale, whilst the equivalent for the UK MetOffice is <10cm.

Anyone know if they are still planning on cutting back on using gritting salt this winter around Morzine-LesGets? They were lucky last year with the lack of snow, but it was carnage with the snow at the start of the season. Trying to reduce the salt loading of the Dranse River apparently (so nothing to do with saving money then...)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy