Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Yad Moss and Weardale, North Pennines

Poster: A snowHead
Was up there today helping out with some maintainance (see the piste thread) but is was not skiable yet.

However according to the answer phone message there was actually some skiing today over at Raise on 6inches of snow. So for the third year running the Lake District gets off to an early start, though this year it has been beaten by Val Thorens and Tignes snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice one for putting the work in on the lift and fences. I will see what's happening Thursday and Friday and come up if its skiable.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Any pics?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whitegold, oh yes Cool
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mosha Marc wrote:
Whitegold, oh yes Cool

snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Any coverage today? Anyone predict the chances of a ski mon/tues??
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
http://www.yadmoss.co.uk/snowreport.php website is saying not enough snow at the moment but info updates tonight and tomorrow am. Weardale's email update from Steve Lumb has it snowing in the dale at the moment, another website and AP watching session www.skiweardale.co.uk. Allenheads website now has a link to live webcam in the village - showing snow there http://www.allenheads.myzen.co.uk/. Harwood is rumoured to be getting a website but dont have any info as to if its actually up and running - the piste has had its yearly hair cut and things looked ready to go when I had a walk over there last week.

Hopefully this is opening weekend of the season - more of last year but with less breakdowns is what I want but it is the pennines so you never know.

Also want to say thanks to all of the club members at all of the English ski fields for the time (the sites are all operated by volunteers - no paid staff here) they've put in over the summer to get everything ready for this season. Final work party at Yad Moss was last weekend - re-aligning the fence so the basher can drive all the way up the tow line; final bits of putting the tow together after a new cable was fitted.

One final request - please treat the tows with a lot of tlc quite a few of the big breakdowns ups (even those were sorted in an hour or so) were caused by general daft behavior and button / poma flinging.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Was thinking of going up to Weardale or Yad Moss tomorrow (Sat 2nd). Anyone else thinking of going from Merseyside or Manchester area? Is it feasible to approach through Brough and Middleton?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DixieDean, I went on Thursday and the road from Penrith to Alston, the A686 was closed. We didn't have any prior warning of this till we got to the barricade across the road. We then had to detour back to the M6 and go via Brampton and get to Alston on the A689, which was fine. The B6277 to Yad Moss was also fine.

The conditions were great, so could be well worth a visit tomorrow. snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Theres usually a 'Road Closed' sign as you get on the duel carrigeway at J40 of the M6. You can then detour upto J43, it adds about 1hr to the journey.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
geepee, the BBC radio new reports have been mentioning the A686 being closed for the last couple of days
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nbt, I listened to all the BBC reports on R5 on the way up and they didn't mention the A686. I even checked the Highways Agency website before I left home. Crying or Very sad

We still had a great time skiing though. snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
geepee, Radio 5? I'm a radio2 man myself, Sally Traffic rules Wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nbt, I usually listen to Radio2 as well, just got it wrong on Thursday. Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks folks - Steve from Weardale says OK via Middleton, but then via Stanhope. Apparently Yad Moss via Middleton is also kept clear more than A686
latest report
Amazing conditions right now. The fences are buried and there is even more snow than last year, something I wouldn't have thought possible in consecutive years Shocked Shocked With the wind going around to the north east it has simply filled everything in. The whole hillside is skiable apparently. Thank god we got the new rope on just in time.

Just one thing though if you are thinking of coming up, the tow is a fast Poma and is not at all suitable for beginners or novice riders. You must be able to ride a Poma without falling off. Unfortunately we have to enforce this as a rule bacuse of repeated damage and stoppages. Sorry!

Hope to get up tomorrow after just returning from Cairngorm where there is currently a metre of snow in the Glenmore campsite and pretty much the whole mountain is skiable. Simply awesome times snowHead

The B6277 from Teesdale or from Carlisle is the more reliable approach than Hartside, particularly with this amount of snow. There is a section from the County Durham border down to Yad Moss however that tends to be left unploughed until mid morning.

The forecast is for more snow today, perhaps heavy, then Sunday and Monday look like better days.

Bring a spade, a smile and your biggest fattest powder skis snowHead snowHead
snow report
Yep. It was definitely snowing today. Drove up from the east and had to hike from the cattle grid due to so much snow. Got there, made one run and the lift broke down and the snow really started to come in. Left, hiked back down the road which in places was 1ft deep and i swear that was one of the hardest trials i have ever broken.

Just managed to get the car out and then ventured home with lots of stoppages and slides! I will confess that was the hardest 12 turns i have ever earned. I wont complain though. Id rather be out there then in here! Conditions over the next few days should be excellent.
snow report
B6277 is not passable at present.

Don't approach Yad Moss from the east. Only just made out this evening (with the rescue plough!!), drifting 5-6ft snow on road in places.

Road almost certainly to be blocked tomorrow (Sun 3rd Jan) just past Langdon Beck. This is approx 7 miles from Yad Moss. A walk from the east should not be attempted in these conditions. We are having a proper 'old school' pennine winter at the moment, in the past in these conditions the B6277 has been blocked for 2-3 weeks minimum it is a high remote mountain road with 3-4 miles of road at or around 2000ft there are no farms/house/buildings if you get stuck.

Tow fault - tow was out of action for about 45mins today due to icing on the sensor wire.

Blizard conditions at the tow this afternoon.
snow conditions
Thanks for the info OAP. Looks like the long way round for me then via Brampton. I'm chomping at the bit toi get up there and the forecast is good now it has stopped snowing and the wind is dropping. we'll see snowHead
snow report
Full cover on both sides of the tow with soft pisted snow, long tow line today, but well worth the wait. A686 from J40 M6 was blocked but was clear from J43. Road out of Alston had some snow patches but driveable without 4x4. Its essential to dig a car parking space to allow other traffic past.
ski holidays
landlockedpirate, Excellent advice, I was glad I'd packed a shovel, as I managed to get in a parking space off the road, someone parked so close behind that I couldn't reverse out. The shovel allowed a front exit. Very Happy
snow conditions
Why isn't the final part of the road up to the hill ploughed? Seems stupid when approaching from the east that the last mile is not passable. Approaching from the west adds alot of time to my journey. Makes no sense, we asked the plough man if he could do it and he said he wasn't allowed!?
latest report
This is why:
http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/file.php?2,file=5875

The B6277 Middleton in Teesdale road is buried. On Saturday people were being rescued by helicopter from their cars. The hillside is saturated with snow and any wind is merely blowing it onto the road. The only approach at the moment is from the north. The Penrith road (Hartside) will be similar.

Here is a link to the regional road situation. As you can see quite a lot of high level routes in Cumbria are still closed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/local/cumbria.shtml

It looks like more showers during the week but with the wind dropping from thursday. I would like to think it might be open by the weekend snowHead

Outstanding conditions though if you can get there Razz Razz . Here is a pic from Sunday:

http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,1751
snow report
i was up there last monday and it was amazing, it must be simply stunning with all the snow thats fallen on top of that in the past week. how deep is the snow on the b6277 Peter S,
snow conditions
Given I live in Leeds and have a front wheel drive car with no chains, what would be the most sensible place for me to try and get to for some UK skiing? Not afraid of a walk in, more worried about getting the car stuck!!
snow report
what about that outdoor place in harrogate i think it is, with thr tow rope and you ski down.
ski holidays
kitenski, We went to Yad Moss last Thursday with a front wheel drive and although I had chains, they weren't needed. A shovel proved essential, however, as we had to dig the wheels out to leave. snowHead
snow report
kitenski, Try Another world up in Halifax if all else fails, check my trip report in the appropriate forum section
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nbt, yeh I saw that, I fancy something a bit steeper/longer to be honest.....although we have 6"+ fresh here in Leeds which I think another world may also get/have got....
ski holidays
kitenski, It only started snowing in Halifax at about 8.30 ish this morning, but it's been coming steadily ever since. Schools closing, staff missing etc. etc.

It will be a powder day at Another World for sure.

I'd be up for a sneaky trip to somewhere a bit bigger - and my wife has an X-Trail with M+S rated tyres I could nick.
ski holidays
Mosha Marc wrote:
my wife has an X-Trail with M+S rated tyres I could nick.

Sorted Smile

Just a question of where then, depends on what's planning to open Thursday and if the ploughs can clear a route there...

I'm sure someone posted a summary of the various UK snowfields, amount of tows etc, but I cannot find it!!!

Did you see the facewest boys did their own local tour???

http://www.facewest.co.uk/facewestblog/2009/12/30/ski-touring-in-yorkshire/
ski holidays
this is probably the site you were thinking of

http://www.snowlion.freeuk.com/
snow report
nbt, that was it, thanks alot, now bookmarked Smile
snow conditions
I have been up to Yad Moss three times so far this winter and have had to go up to Brampton twice,
it does take a little longer but stays clearer as it follows the South Tyne down the valley to Alston.

Last time we went we were about a mile or so from going over Hartside Pass, but had to turn around
as snow had drifted over the road, ah well, it's part of the fun of sliding in England.
Was looking at going tomorrow, but Yad Moss is closed today and tomorrow.....gutted!!! Sad

I have also knocked a web page together, it's no where near as comprehensive as the snowlion site,
but it's got what I need on one page to help me plan my sliding adventures!! Cool
It's got the websites and answerphone numbers for the ski clubs and also has the BBC Cumbria travel page,
the MWIS pdf for the Lake District and links to here, winterhighland and snow forecast.

Hopefully it may be of use to fellow snowheads

www.southportsnowsports.co.uk
ski holidays
rich.p wrote:
Last time we went we were about a mile or so from going over Hartside Pass, but had to turn around
as snow had drifted over the road, ah well, it's part of the fun of sliding in England.

I don't want to sound petulant, but if I'm pulling a sneaky off work and then driving up there through a herd of "20mph cos it's snowing" types; I want to know I'll be freezing my conkers off, in my skis, on a hill at the end of it.

Is this a fairly regular thing?
snow conditions
I *think* Weardale is open tomorrow rich.p,
ski holidays
If they are not open tomorrow they should be later in the week. The forecast is looking better for then so I'm hoping to head up somewhere about then.
latest report
Weardale is open tomorrow, according to their answerphone

kitenski, I need to get some chains, have been going to Yad Moss instead to avoid the inevitable.

Mosha Marc, I've only been caught out the once on that road, it has been closed fairly often over the last couple of weeks.
Listen to BBC Radio Cumbria for the travel updates, on every half hour - 95.6 and 96.1 FM.
Folk in the fells tend to be used to the hazardous conditions, it's only the lowlanders that drive like muppets causing even more problems
snow conditions
Quote:

I need to get some chains, have been going to Yad Moss instead to avoid the inevitable.

See my posting re snowchains.co.uk on the Equipment forum. Seems that most UK suppliers have just about been cleared out of chains.... Shocked
latest report
mountainaddict, thanks for that, just read it.......looks like i'm off to Yad Moss on Friday or Monday then.
I'll have to make sure I get a set before next winter.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy