Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do you appreciate pole clicking?

Poster: A snowHead
motyl wrote:
Belch wrote:
@Pyramus, Nice photoshop skills! 8.92/10 (sorry I'm a perfectionist) Did you source the busy slope imagery or add additional peeps for effect?
It's entirely AI - you can sort of tell from really bad proportions and missing bits, but the give away is the double pole in the mirror. AI is still not quite intelligent enough but will soon be able to fool all of us.

Yup. On the positive side, plenty more time for skiing when 50% of the global workforce is replaced by bots in next 5-10 years. Although I suspect lift queues might deteriorate somewhat. That is, if the ski resorts haven't closed by then due to lack of reliable snow.. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Pyramus, I've changed your score - 2/10 for using AI; unless we are one of the lucky few that survive extermination to provide 100% leisure time to the remaining 1% there will be be no skiing let alone driving!

pam w wrote:
A rear view camera would be just the ideal thing to spook beginner (or nervous) skiers into paying far too much attention to what's happening behind them, rather than keeping a good look out down the slope and skiing accordingly.

Maybe - maybe not. HUD tech on goggles would mean perfectly clear vision ahead AND rear view awareness; no need to check shoulders or crank ones neck. Coming soon at a Snow & Rock near you . . .
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Belch, work smart not hard. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w wrote:
Meanwhile, I was probably listening to Bach's Christmas Oratorio and didn't hear.

So you were away with the fairies (or was that Tchaikovsky) constituting a danger to everybody else on the piste wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hurtle wrote:
@abc,
Quote:

The risk of spooking the nervous person is there. But if you’re going sufficiently fast, you’ve passed them before they could make any erratic movements.
Yeah, I guess this is right, but when I've already scrubbed off some speed because I've seen the person in front, it's too late!

This is quite true. I used to make that mistake quite a bit.

There’s another way to buy yourself some extra time without scrubbing too much speed. You can instead make a bunch of carved, short radius turns (providing the path wasn’t busy). The skis are now going a longer path at more or less the same speed. It gives you a bit of extra time without losing too much speed. Once you decide on your path to pass, you straighten up your skis and zoom past the front skier.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@abc, makes sense. I'll try it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
abc wrote:
telford_mike wrote:
Clicking other skiers is downright rude. It conveys only one message:

GET OUT OF MY WAY!

If you don’t have the skills to pass safely, hang back until the piste becomes wide enough for you to make your move.

That post is “downright rude”!

I was getting a bit bored with this, but now you've piqued my interest, and I'm intrigued. My post was designed not to be rude to anyone. Let's have a look at it:

- It’s impersonal - i.e it’s not aimed at anyone in particular.
- It contains no insults to any individual, or group of individuals.
- It contains a capitalised sentence, to illustrate my interpretation of a shouty skier clicking his/her/their poles behind me.

I cannot remotely see how you could interpret any of this as 'downright rude'. It’s merely a response to the OP, who was asking whether people on here appreciate pole clicking. Talk to me, I'm listening.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
telford_mike wrote:
abc wrote:
telford_mike wrote:

GET OUT OF MY WAY!

If you don’t have the skills to pass safely, hang back until the piste becomes wide enough for you to make your move.

I was getting a bit bored with this, but now you've piqued my interest, and I'm intrigued. My post was designed not to be rude to anyone. Let's have a look at it:

- It contains a capitalised sentence, to illustrate my interpretation of a shouty skier clicking his/her/their poles behind me.

I cannot remotely see how you could interpret any of this as 'downright rude'. It’s merely a response to the OP, who was asking whether people on here appreciate pole clicking. Talk to me, I'm listening.

I’m well beyond bored. So I will not entertain with any answer. I don’t have time to waste on such nonsense.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
abc wrote:
telford_mike wrote:
abc wrote:
telford_mike wrote:

GET OUT OF MY WAY!

I’m well beyond bored. So I will not entertain with any answer. I don’t have time to waste on such nonsense.

latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Right, “loser” is a neutral word, no insult implied. rolling eyes
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
abc wrote:
Right, “loser” is a neutral word, no insult implied. rolling eyes

So continue the debate, rather than bugging out?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Debate? About whether “downright rude” and “Loser” are neutral words? rolling eyes

Such would be a waste of time, to debate snowflakes. (Another neutral word Laughing Laughing )
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
When I ring my bike bell it is mostly just a warning, not because I want them to "do" anything different. When you are walking along a quiet path it's startling to have a bike pass. I have sometimes been chided for NOT ringing the bell. So I ring my bell to warn them. If they have a dog dashing around it also warns them that they might need to gather up the dog and keep it under control. Too many of them are completely uncontrolled and it's worrying for a cyclist (I am perhaps mentally scarred for life by a dog which dashed out and bit me - drew blood through my denim jeans - on Heol Gwyrosydd across the notorious Swansea housing estate, the first day I rode my Honda 90 motor bike to Uni). And when there are small kids - it's reassuring to see Dad put his hand on the 2 year old's shoulder, and point out the bike coming.

I'm not a whizzy cyclist but it's not feasible to slow down for 4 miles behind a couple of pedestrians strolling along! I always pass slowly and say thanks.

I tend to avoid shared use paths for the reasons you hint at but when I do use them and I come up behind pedestrians I a) slow to walking pace b) give them a bit of time to register my presence c) if it's been a few seconds and they haven't noticed me and moved then I'll give them a polite and cheery "excuse me" followed by a similarly smiley "thank you!". I find this enhances the sum total of human happiness more than ringing a bell which some people appreciate but others interpret as you being entitled Mr Toad.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abc wrote:
To all the clickers haters, do you cycle? If so, do you have a bell on your bike? Do you use your bell? Do you find cycling bell use “arrogant”?

1. Yes
2. Not on most of our bikes
3. Obviously no given 2
4. Yes a bit although I can't know what is intended.
But my main objection to a bell is I can communicate much better with my voice because I can tell people exactly what I mean in an appropriate tone. And a pleasant tone can ensure no offence and aggravation.
I can't think how a bell could say something better than I can
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hmm, I wonder... You know how you put a bell on the cat to warn the birds that its coming up behind them, maybe something like that - a item that you can put on the end of your ski pole grip which will allow you to alert people you're coming up behind without having to flail your poles about so much and keep better stance and control.

You could do different sizes too so you'd give better situational awareness to the people you're coming up on, though the smaller ones could be quite shrill...

So there you are, skiing along and you'll here the tinkling noise behind you and know 'Yep I can hear a couple of BellEnds coming up behind me - there's a Massive BellEnd on the left, and an annoying little BellEnd on the right side...'

I'll even throw in some stickers for your skis and helmets for early Kickstart patroens.
ski holidays
The best way to help a nervous skier is not *just* a click, but to pass them quite closely. It's the same principle for boarders and their blind side.

They might not like it at first, but they build up herd immunity to it, eventually. So click'n'pass should be de rigeur, especially in France.

You're welcome.
ski holidays
abc wrote:
Debate? About whether “downright rude” and “Loser” are neutral words? rolling eyes

Such would be a waste of time, to debate snowflakes. (Another neutral word Laughing Laughing )

You reap what you sow. Anyhow, I'm glad you’re back, as I'd like some clarification regarding another of your posts. I'll find it later when I get down the mountain.
snow conditions
@jedster,
Quote:

I can communicate much better with my voice because I can tell people exactly what I mean in an appropriate tone. And a pleasant tone can ensure no offence and aggravation.

Agreed, that's why, although I've never clicked, I have - albeit on very few occasions - used my voice gently to signal on which side I'm passing someone. The choice of language is a slight problem, the language of the country I'm in should mostly work but, if the person in front is identifiably Russian wink I can do that too. And I'd really appreciate that being done to me: if I hear a prolonged scratching noise behind me, obviously from someone who wants to get past me, I'd much prefer to know on which side they're going to pass.
snow report
Despite being an experienced skier I suffer from a random phobia that kicks in unexpectedly on narrow tracks. If it does you will find me snowploughing extremely slowly right down the middle getting in everyone's way. If you click your poles at me, no matter the intention, I will either do an emergency stop or probably fall over! It won't get you where you're going any quicker and will leave me crying and embarrassed. Please don't do it....you don't know what the person in front is feeling or how they will interpret your clicks! A polite "passing to you left/right" is much more helpful to the terminally terrified!
ski holidays
@Richard_Sideways, you have just jogged my memory about a teacher from secondary school. He was also one of the teachers in the ski club. He had a little cow bell, that was either attached to his glove or the top of his pole, so everyone could hear him approaching.
Everyone at Cairngorm used to do a double-take when they heard him. It was in keeping with his hand-knitted woollen balaclava though. For the life of me I can’t remember his name.
snow report
Like a leper - "Unclean, unclean"
snow conditions
@dode, I used to have something like that on my commuting bike, but it’s either drowned out by traffic noise or people have headphones on so it was a bit of a failure
latest report
jedster wrote:

I have to disagree on that one.

A decent bell is a lot louder than a voice. And its high pitch penetrates the air much better. You can ring the bell much further back, giving the walkers a lot more time “to register your presence”, as you correctly puts it.

Better for both parties.

I cycle on share path a lot, because there’s one near where I live and it goes rather a long way (all the way into New York city 50 miles away!). On a busy day, when there’re many walkers on the trail, I can see the effect of my bell vs my voice (when I’m on a bike without a bell). The bell got several groups of walkers “register my presence”. My voice only the closest group, from a short distance. The clicking of the freewheel? Only when I’m practically on their back! (And they’re typically startled, dash in all directions)
snow report
abc wrote:
jedster wrote:

I have to disagree on that one.

A decent bell is a lot louder than a voice. And its high pitch penetrates the air much better. You can ring the bell much further back, giving the walkers a lot more time “to register your presence”, as you correctly puts it.

Better for both parties.

I cycle on share path a lot, because there’s one near where I live and it goes rather a long way (all the way into New York city 50 miles away!). On a busy day, when there’re many walkers on the trail, I can see the effect of my bell vs my voice (when I’m on a bike without a bell). The bell got several groups of walkers “register my presence”. My voice only the closest group, from a short distance. The clicking of the freewheel? Only when I’m practically on their back! (And they’re typically startled, dash in all directions)

I think you probably cycle faster on a shared use path than I would find acceptable. At the speed I close at, my voice is more than adequate. If you are closing at a moderate speed there is no need for them to scramble. If I want to cycle quicker (and I usually do) then I'll be on the road not a shared path. And if the path is genuinely busy with walkers I would avoid it or be going walking pace until I could swap to a road.
ski holidays
@abc, yes, on a shared path, I generally ding my bell well before I’m close enough to make my voice heard (without shouting). If people are paying attention it gives them the chance to do whatever they want to do without feeling like I’m about to mow them down

And I ride pretty slowly on shared paths when there are pedestrians around. Sometimes get overtaken by joggers Blush Blush

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 22-01-24 14:49; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@Arno,
Quote:

people have headphones

ugh, when I rule the world, I shall ban the use of headphones otherwise than in the privacy of the users' own homes, or when seated on planes and public transport (and then only if not a scintilla of noise is escaping from them).
snow report
@Hurtle, pardon?

NehNeh
snow report
@Arno, Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Hurtle, a woman was killed on the outskirts of my town a couple of years ago out running with ear pods in. It was suggested they were in part responsible for her death as she did not hear the car which hit her as she stepped off the pavement into the road.
I can’t ever imagine feeling comfortable either cycling or skiing with headphones on. Hearing is a valuable sense in both imo (and yes I’m aware deaf people do both before the SH forum pedants descend on me)

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 22-01-24 15:32; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@jirac18,
Quote:

Hearing is a valuable sense in both imo
Indeed
ski holidays
Quote:

I generally ding my bell well before I’m close enough to make my voice heard (without shouting).

So do I.

If you jog into the road without looking, whether you are wearing headphones or not, you are a bit of a twit. A woman stepped out in front of me in the village the other day, looking at her phone. I was able to stop, fortunately. But I wouldn't ban phones because people can be idiots with them.

I don't see why people would wish to ban headphones if not a scintilla (what's one of them?) of noise is escaping from them. Would you ban people chatting, too? If we are identifying illiberal things we'd like to do, I would ban people doing their make up on public transport and dawdling along two abreast on a busy pavement. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
If we are identifying illiberal things we'd like to do..

OK now you've triggered me.

1. Ban all tabloid newspapers.
    2. Ban hot food and drink on public transport.
    3. Ban Christmas adverts apart from December.
    4. Ban off-shore tax havens.
    5. Ban lefty lawyers.

Laughing
ski holidays
@pam w, each to our own desired bans, I think.
snow report
As a snowboarder, I've no concept of "pole clicking".....if someone on skis did it to me, I'd assume they were being rude (assuming I even heard it....once you're doing more than walking pace I find wind noise would get in the way of most stuff). I'd appreciate a shout much more if I was about to do something daft (e.g. cut someone up I'd not seen uphill....even if it was technically their fault I'd rather get a yell than a whack in the back). If it was just to let me know they wanted to get past then they need to hang fire until it's safe to pass me and pack it in (it's auditory tailgating unless you know that it means something).

I guess my point is that whilst "pole clicking" might be something that skiers know is a thing, everyone's mileage will vary so it's a bit of a daft assumption to think it'll make any difference to someone's behaviour. If something audible is needed to avoid a collision then a voice is far better.

I'd not see it the same as a bike bell as that's been experienced by millions for a hundred years by now so it's an accepted norm (and even then the reaction is unpredictable).

EDIT: On the bans thing....umbrellas....that problem has been solved by hoods. When I'm boss of the world I'll be putting snipers out to stop that....everything else (including pole clicking) will be tolerated.
snow conditions
jirac18 wrote:
@Hurtle,
I can’t ever imagine feeling comfortable either cycling or skiing with headphones on.

I see people doing these but they are immune to all collisions, as they have their magic plastic and styrofoam helmets on.

(that was also a joke, by the way, before the pile on emerges Very Happy )

..............although, people cycling and skiing with earphones in is - imo - very dangerous.

I prefer - in both - to be as aware as I can be of everything going on around me, this is especially true these days on your bike as there are so many almost silent electric cars around.
latest report
paulhinch wrote:
As a snowboarder, I've no concept of "pole clicking".....if someone on skis did it to me, I'd assume they were being rude (assuming I even heard it....once you're doing more than walking pace I find wind noise would get in the way of most stuff). I'd appreciate a shout much more if I was about to do something daft (e.g. cut someone up I'd not seen uphill....even if it was technically their fault I'd rather get a yell than a whack in the back). If it was just to let me know they wanted to get past then they need to hang fire until it's safe to pass me and pack it in (it's auditory tailgating unless you know that it means something).

I guess my point is that whilst "pole clicking" might be something that skiers know is a thing, everyone's mileage will vary so it's a bit of a daft assumption to think it'll make any difference to someone's behaviour. If something audible is needed to avoid a collision then a voice is far better.

I'd not see it the same as a bike bell as that's been experienced by millions for a hundred years by now so it's an accepted norm (and even then the reaction is unpredictable).

EDIT: On the bans thing....umbrellas....that problem has been solved by hoods. When I'm boss of the world I'll be putting snipers out to stop that....everything else (including pole clicking) will be tolerated.

At last the voice of reason on clicking!
No doubt will be dismissed by all the skiers with their self centred I’m right you are all wrong view especially hard for them to take from a boarder!
latest report
Does no one peg a playing card to their frame so that it catches on the spokes to make a noise any more?
No need for bells at all then.
snow report
snowornever wrote:
paulhinch wrote:

At last the voice of reason on clicking!
No doubt will be dismissed by all the skiers with their self centred I’m right you are all wrong view especially hard for them to take from a boarder!

Well the award for the person who hasn’t bothered to read the thread before commenting goes to you my friend. This thread is littered with skiers saying the exact same thing. Might need to check on your little snowboarder inferiority complex there.
ski holidays
I'll vote for the umbrella ban. But I do agree with @GreenDay that headphones are even more likely to be death-trappy when there are silent electric cars around. wink I have not, by the way, ever worn, or suggested wearing, headphones on a bike. Even a helmet, especially with a balaclava underneath in cold weather, seriously cuts down on how well you can hear traffic behind you. On a bike of course, it' s vital to know what's behind you before moving out to overtake or turn right. On skis or a board it's more important to know what's below/in front of you and generally unwise to try to make hasty movements to avoid what you infer somebody behind you is doing, or planning to do.
snow report
pam w wrote:
I'll vote for the umbrella ban. But I do agree with @GreenDay that headphones are even more likely to be death-trappy when there are silent electric cars around. wink I have not, by the way, ever worn, or suggested wearing, headphones on a bike. Even a helmet, especially with a balaclava underneath in cold weather, seriously cuts down on how well you can hear traffic behind you. On a bike of course, it' s vital to know what's behind you before moving out to overtake or turn right. On skis or a board it's more important to know what's below/in front of you and generally unwise to try to make hasty movements to avoid what you infer somebody behind you is doing, or planning to do.

Even if you can hear you should shoulder check before manouvering - not just because you get more information but because the shoulder check is a brilliant signal to motorists that you are about to do SOMETHING it tends to make them give you more space and hold of overtaking.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy