Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whose fault?

Poster: A snowHead
@phil_w, i think so. It never excuses a bad overtake but it can be a courtesy sometimes
Still, some people get their noses out of joint if you ring your bike bell no matter how polite you try to be about it
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@phil_w, I think clicking poles should be compulsory for snowboarders wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

some people get their noses out of joint if you ring your bike bell no matter how polite you try to be about it

Laughing ha yes. I have had people moan at me for NOT ringing a bell and others who look affronted when I have rung it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
phil_w wrote:
are there any actual nervous skiers here who can tell what it's like being disrespected in this way?
I startle easily and being overtaken rather too closely for my comfort can lead me to start freezing up in fear. Or swearing at them loudly in whatever language comes to hand Toofy Grin

I appreciate pole clicks ONLY as a warning that an entitled skier is approaching who doesn't want to make allowances for me as the skier in front. I agree it shouldn't be necessary if everyone respected everyone else. Some years ago on a cat track I got fed up with being passed very close by and to the point where I was scared of making any movement departing from a straight line, so I parked my hands on my hips and allowed my poles to stick out at an angle to create a safe space for myself. Cue lots of (male) complaints from behind.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar wrote:
JayRo wrote:
Ultimately I don’t think there’s an entirely clear distinction between a (‘friendly’) ‘know that I’m here, leave me space/hold your line’ and an (‘aggressive’ or ‘entitled’) ‘let me past’.
I think that's right. Even a signal given in a friendly, intended to be helpful manner can easily be interpreted as entitled-BS or as something-to-worry-about by a nervous skier.

Absolutely, and I think the situation is unhelpfully complicated by the fact that sometimes it is unequivocally entitled BS: I recall an incident last season, on that awful main drag through Val Tho that doubles as the nursery slope and a thoroughfare, down to the bottom of Plein Sud and Les 2 Lacs. It was towards the day (I think I was heading back to the UCPA centre), and I was skiing at about the speed of the traffic, at the edge of a relatively crowded piste. While I was on a turn towards the left-hand edge, someone (at about 7 o'clock, a couple of ski lengths behind me) shouts (in English) that he's passing on my left: i.e. that he wants me to make a turn in order to let him pass on my outside. Our difference in speed is small enough that I have plenty of time respond 'great, that means you know it's your obligation to steer clear of me', and keep going to the edge of the piste before turning: it's the only time I've consciously closed the gate on someone (and even then it's more that I didn't open it). He let me know in no uncertain terms (and a few hand signals) that he was angry and that he didn't think much of me, but I'm happy with how I behaved in the circumstances.

I think the equivocation that @zikomo talks about is made by people who are considerably less obnoxious than that example, in that they're not demanding that a downhill skier make a turn in order to let them through. But saying 'I'm on your right, please hold your line' is still (unreasonably, entitledly) expecting the downhill skier to make allowances for the person overtaking. If you're making the manœuvre safely and responsibly, there's no need to make any such warning, polite or otherwise.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
James the Last wrote:
I will agree that the downhill skier isn’t helping himself by ‘closing the door’.

The unwritten FIS rule is that everyone else on the mountain is a nutter; so ski like you’re going to be overtaken by a nutter who wouldn’t be able to stop.

The rules are irrelevant when you’re injured, they don’t make it hurt less.

Yes my point exactly, and why don't they teach beginners for that also, rather than just referring back to theoretical rules that a lot of people don't follow or are unable to if pistes are really busy. Per FIS rules, "enough space" is needed to overtake - "enough" being the entire width of the piste (in the case of narrower pistes/cat tracks)?

They could actually make a provision in the FIS rules themselves to encourage common sense behavior when deciding to traverse directly across the piste to help avoid such collisions or near misses for which there is plenty of evidence of these occurring.

Belch wrote:
@JayRo, lol - another 'n' skiers skiing patiently behind them! Never happens - not in the real world!

Yup, this is real world vs the FIS rules view of the world which have little relevence when you're injured in hospital..
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pyramus wrote:

They could actually make a provision in the FIS rules themselves to encourage common sense behavior when deciding to traverse directly across the piste to help avoid such collisions or near misses for which there is plenty of evidence of these occurring.

You’re talking utter poo-poo, as evidenced by the fact that you have nothing to say in response to this:

JayRo wrote:
Ok, I’ll bite. In the second one, what exactly do you expect the student to do with the knowledge that there is someone coming from above? If you’re traversing slowly across a slope, it’s not as if you can change direction quickly, & stopping won’t help. This is a perfect illustration of why the responsibility is solely with the uphill skier, & that you’re either a troll or completely clueless (or both, or worse).

What, exactly, do you think ‘common sense behavior when deciding to traverse directly across the piste’ would actually involve?

No, thought not.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If I'm in front I will try to make clear to anyone behind what my intentions are, if diverging from my current path - so a bit like a car indicating, I might point with my finger that I'm about to (for example) take the right fork or pull over to a lift....then a quick glance to make sure I won't be taken out from above.

If I'm behind, I try to be considerate and give skiers a wide birth and judge what they are going to do, in order to overtake safely....however, if I get that judgement wrong, I would then make my presence known - not because I feel entitled, or in the right...but because I don't want to be the cause of an unnecessary collision. It doesn't happen often - but despite taking reasonable care and even with the best of intentions, it can very occasionally happen.

IMV. It's a bit like the correct use of the car horn - which should only be used to let the other person know you are there.

I would rather someone thought I was being a bit rude, than end up being responsible for a collision....but saying all that, my goal is to avoid the situation altogether.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 17-01-24 19:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In a lot of time spent skiing I have seen very few collisions. I was involved in one - pretty well head on collision with a man much bigger than me - broke my pelvis. But that situation was not clear cut. I felt it had been 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. The guy explained that he'd made a sudden change of course to avoid another skier. But there was no "uphill/downhill", it was a confused situation near two lifts. The guy was very apologetic and stayed around to help sort things out. A few years before I had been knocked over by a guy overtaking me fast at the edge of a piste where I had deliberately slowed down because I knew I was skiing from sun into deep shade, approaching a lift,, and knocking off the speed made sense. He slammed into me from behind. Broke my thermos of coffee but no lasting damage to me. My husband, skiing a little behind me on the other side of the piste, said the wife had overtaken him equally stupidly then laughed when she saw her husband go sprawling, having hit me. They'd obviously been racing. My OH was furious and the fault was very clear cut. But given the number of skiers on the piste, it's surprising there aren't more collisions.

One thing strikes me as certain - that skiing around being afraid of being crashed into serves no purpose. I have skied with beginners, barely in control of their line, who have been constantly listening out for people coming behind them, and freaked out especially if they think it's a snowboarder. As if they could react with sufficient speed and skill to do anything about it!

When I got back on skis after breaking my pelvis I was a bit anxious with people around me on a not-busy blue slope I knew extremely well. We crossed over onto an easy, and deserted, nicely pisted black run and all my fears melted away. I always have disliked crowded slopes but that's because they need so much care and attention, and I just don't do lift queues. Most people who injure themselve skiing do so without any third-party intervention!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

But saying 'I'm on your right, please hold your line' is still (unreasonably, entitledly) expecting the downhill skier to make allowances for the person overtaking. If you're making the manœuvre safely and responsibly, there's no need to make any such warning, polite or otherwise.

Again I'm only talking about very flat narrow cat tracks where everyone is just going straight without turns at slow speeds. There is no reason the person should turn, it's not a dangerous overtake. It's more just letting them know you are there. Similar to how walking behind someone in a kitchen you might say "watch your back". Seems like common sense. Imagine people actually trying to help each other out to avoid accidents. But I get the feeling some are the kind of people that would rather crash and be in the right than not crash at all.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I reckon if you're skiing straight down a very gentle and narrow track/road it makes sense to stay on one side and expect to be overtaken. And if you're with a child, ski directly behind them. But once people are turning, and checking speed, it's a different story and normally safer (and correct) just to slow down and be patient for however long it takes. Like you do when stuck behind a tractor on a narrow country road. A considerate tractor driver will pull in now and then and let people pass.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boarder2020 wrote:
Again I'm only talking about very flat narrow cat tracks where everyone is just going straight without turns at slow speeds.
I’ve never been on a flat cat track where everyone is going in a straight line, without making some kind of turn. Never. I’ll typically roll from one set of edges to the other, changing direction slightly. Plenty of people will skid some sort of turn (leading to speed differentials), moving from side to side at least a little, even not going from one side of the track to the other. It’s not like being on a multi-lane motorway where everyone stays in their lane.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar wrote:
The biggest problem I see on the slopes is people not having sufficient respect for other slope users. It's not about having a lack of control, it's not about carving skis enabling everyone to ski faster, it's about not respecting the people around you and acting accordingly.

100% agree with this

rob@rar wrote:
Pole-clicking or shouting a warning from behind is one, small, manifestation of that, IMHO.

However don't agree with this in the slightest; your interpretation is not taken in the spirit in which either clicking or communication (not shouting aggressively) should be taken - simple communication with other skiers is polite IMO if the intent (whether heard or not) is to avoid panic / a collision. I'm not suggesting its a flag to 'put your foot down and overtake anyway' but simply part of skiing defensively and with others safety in mind - similar to ringing a bike bell (as stated by another poster) or bipping your horn in front of a blind bend; neither of which are considered rude.

I've skied in the US and their etiquette is generally far better than that of in Europe - communication is part of this. I remember my first busy lift que when someone simply said behind me 'can I alternate with you?' . . . absolutely no problem! You wont be finding that in the bun fight for last lifts in laissez faire land Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Belch, the only point of an audible signal to the person downhill of you is to get them to take some action, which might be as simple as hold true or might be a warning not to take that last couple of metres of space at the edge of the piste because you are coming through hot. There is no other point of such a signal. In doing so you are asking the downhill skier to take some responsibility for your overtaking manoeuvre. That seems in clear conflict with the Skiers’ Code. Comparisons with bike bells or car horns aren’t analogous, unless you are talking about sitting behind someone in Lane 3 with your hand on the horn, trying to get the car in front to move out of the way even though they are passing something in Lane 2. I think that is a more appropriate analogy, and I’m sure you would say it’s not the right thing to do…
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar wrote:
@boarder2020, how many languages are you going to use when declaring “on your left/right”? And what do you expect the slower skier to do with that information, if you manage to get the communication right?

This is why Esperanto was constructed.
latest report
@rob@rar, Get your sentiment and the direct analogy in terms of driving and like all things does depend on the scenario at hand (which with differing abilities can be multiple and varied when skiing). However still believe communication whether it be clicking or whatever can help mitigate collisions rather than contribute to them . . .especially on tracks, I personally would rather be 'clicked at' (and made aware) of a faster more impatient skier behind me than not at all and suddenly be clipped / tips and tails skied over / passed within millimetres so much so that you can smell what they had for bfast on their breath etc all of which have I'm sure has happened to most of us at some stage in our skiing lives . . .
latest report
Belch wrote:
@rob@rar, Get your sentiment and the direct analogy in terms of driving and like all things does depend on the scenario at hand (which with differing abilities can be multiple and varied when skiing) however still believe communication whether it be clicking or whatever can help mitigate collisions rather than contribute to them . . .
OK, I’ve tried to explain my position and feel like I’m just repeating myself now. Guess we’ll just have to disagree.

Communication from the person downhill, such as a arm raised like an indicator or a quick glance up the hill to make sure you are not about to ski on a potential collision course is extremely sensible, I’ll do those things frequently. But it should not be expected by the uphill skier that this will happen, not least because for many skiers that level of awareness is more than they are capable of.
snow report
@rob@rar, Agree with both points (but will continue to click if I believe its the right thing to do at the time!) The real question is why do snowboarders NEVER communicate irrespective of whether upslope / downslope or simply sitting on the slope (usually below a lip where you cannot see them)! Toofy Grin
snow report
JayRo wrote:
Ok, I’ll bite. In the second one, what exactly do you expect the student to do with the knowledge that there is someone coming from above? If you’re traversing slowly across a slope, it’s not as if you can change direction quickly, & stopping won’t help. This is a perfect illustration of why the responsibility is solely with the uphill skier, & that you’re either a troll or completely clueless (or both, or worse).

It was an interesting response from the instructor, that is to blame uphill guy entirely and to try and convince him he is entirely in the wrong and to explain him "the rules".

The alternative response would be to do that (as obviously uphill guy was being a bit of a prat and did need schooling), but also to use it as a learning experience for his student that crossing perpendicular across a narrow busy piste without having any care of what is coming at you from above is, at the very least, rather risky and asking for trouble, as he just found out.
And maybe a quick glance up and adjusting speed (or stopping) and/or adjusting line would have avoided the near miss entirely. If student isn't capable of basic control that would have allowed him to do that, then I question why the instructor even took him on that piste in the first place.
snow conditions
Pyramus wrote:
JayRo wrote:

It was an interesting response from the instructor, that is to blame uphill guy entirely and to try and convince him he is entirely in the wrong and to explain him "the rules".

The alternative response would be to do that (as obviously uphill guy was being a bit of a prat and did need schooling), but also to use it as a learning experience for his student that crossing perpendicular across a narrow busy piste without having any care of what is coming at you from above is, at the very least, rather risky and asking for trouble, as he just found out.
And maybe a quick glance up and adjusting speed (or stopping) and/or adjusting line would have avoided the near miss entirely. If student isn't capable of basic control that would have allowed him to do that, then I question why the instructor even took him on that piste in the first place.

Victim-blaming.

Only one person is at fault.

There is no grey area.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
boarder2020 wrote:
Again I'm only talking about very flat narrow cat tracks where everyone is just going straight without turns at slow speeds.
I’ve never been on a flat cat track where everyone is going in a straight line, without making some kind of turn. Never. I’ll typically roll from one set of edges to the other, changing direction slightly. Plenty of people will skid some sort of turn (leading to speed differentials), moving from side to side at least a little, even not going from one side of the track to the other. It’s not like being on a multi-lane motorway where everyone stays in their lane.

On such a track I actively encourage first week skiers to form a narrow wedge and play with the pressure on their inside edges to get the feeling of the ski doing the work in a low pressure situation. As for the thought of encouraging novice skiers to look behind them there is nothing more likely to cause a crash than doing this, as soon as they rotate to look behind everything they have been taught about correct stance and weight distribution goes out of the window.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
@Belch, the only point of an audible signal to the person downhill of you is to get them to take some action

Sometimes I warn a skier which side I'm passing on. The idea is to not scare or surprise them when I pass.

When the slopes are busy the more experienced skiers have to take some responsibility. My son had an incident with the local ski club at Christmas. We were skiing down a cat track that was not steep that then opens out on a narrow red piste. I've no idea why they did this but the club coach and three of the club skiers barged past me then when they hit the steeper section stopped, blocking the track. For me that is a bit oafish but no biggie really. I would say that they did not stop in a safe place.

My son was behind and further down the slope I became aware out of the corner of my eye of an altercation between him and the coach. My son said that he was being hemmed in on the steep bit of the slope by a group of 8 skiers and the coach started doing little edge checks which the club skiers copied. My son had a shout at the coach and clearly they didn't see eye to eye.

The coach said he could do what he liked as he was downhill from my son. My son said he'd not completed his passing manouvere safely - overtaking someone then slamming the brakes on in front. He also had the other skiers forcing him right to the edge on a steep and narrow piste. Anyway they agreed to differ and I wasn't required to intervene but you never win with the ski clubs as they always have an answer for why they own the slopes.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
phil_w wrote:
What did I miss please?
The part which says the uphill skier is responsible for passing the downhill skier in a safe manner.,

Clicking poles and following the rules are not mutually exclusive. Seems a bit thin-skinned to be upset at someone doing what they can to help avoid a collision with you, which can happen in situations not involving overtaking. I appreciate it when I'm on the listening end.
snow report
@Pyramus,
Jeez, six pages and it still hasn't sunk in Laughing
latest report
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
phil_w wrote:
What did I miss please?
The part which says the uphill skier is responsible for passing the downhill skier in a safe manner.,

Clicking poles and following the rules are not mutually exclusive. Seems a bit thin-skinned to be upset at someone doing what they can to help avoid a collision with you, which can happen in situations not involving overtaking. I appreciate it when I'm on the listening end.

For once I agree but that's the air of superiority of the ski instructor coming into play, think they own the slopes.

@zikomo, I'm surprised the guy passing left could get past that big swinging dick of yours you are so fond of waving
snow report
davidof wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
@Belch, the only point of an audible signal to the person downhill of you is to get them to take some action

Sometimes I warn a skier which side I'm passing on. The idea is to not scare or surprise them when I pass.

That's why I've employed the click in the past, because I felt that it was more subtle than just arriving in the peripheral vision of someone at full concentration. It was never about getting them to hold a line or turn. I'm not really sure it works though, as can be seen above it gets even some experienced skiers a bit moody, so probably isn't helpful to a nervous beginner. Personally I like having the audible cue.
latest report
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
Except the skier doing to pole clicking, or whatever, is not doing what they can to avoid a collision, they are indicating to the skier downhill of them that they have a part to play in avoiding a collision, even if that part is simply continuing in the same direction as they are currently travelling. And therefore they are not following the code which states that the uphill skier has responsibility, sole responsibility, for passing the downhill skier in a safe manner. Ask yourself, why am I giving an audible clue to the person downhill of me that I am about to overtake them? If the answer to that question is I want them to do something or I want them to be aware of me then you are not taking responsibility for passing them yourself, you are expecting them to play some role in your overtaking manoeuvre.
snow report
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
That's why I've employed the click in the past, because I felt that it was more subtle than just arriving in the peripheral vision of someone at full concentration. It was never about getting them to hold a line or turn. I'm not really sure it works though, as can be seen above it gets even some experienced skiers a bit moody, so probably isn't helpful to a nervous beginner. Personally I like having the audible cue.
Slower skiers are used to being passed, it happens constantly. It’s not a surprise, and if you give them a safe distance then you have not contributed to any feelings of anxiety they might have by skiing in an unreasonable manner. But unusual sounds coming from behind them, such as a shouted warning or some strange clicking noise that they have no idea what that means will quite possibly spook them in to taking unexpected action such as a sudden turn. I’ve seen it happen.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@rob@rar, +1 to all of that.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
Slower skiers are used to being passed, it happens constantly. It’s not a surprise, and if you give them a safe distance then you have not contributed to any feelings of anxiety they might have by skiing in an unreasonable manner. But unusual sounds coming from behind them, such as a shouted warning or some strange clicking noise that they have no idea what that means will quite possibly spook them in to taking unexpected action such as a sudden turn. I’ve seen it happen.

Is it really that strange a noise? Laughing I remember hearing it the first time I skied and finding it reassuring, it certainly wasn't the precursor to a fast and close pass like you seem to be suggesting. As I said, not something I still do and I don't think really works, but I also don't think it's quite the evil that is being made out. A skier who gets nervous at the sound of a pole click can get nervous when they hear skis or a snowboard behind them and fall. I've seen it happen.
snow conditions
Cacciatore wrote:
Legend. wrote:
Pyramus wrote:

Tbh I honestly find it odd peoples' reaction to this..

I'm still astonished by this opinion.

Me too! It verges on the unbelievable.

Anecdotally, I was skiing in Mayrhofen many years ago, perfect pistes, clear day. Skiing down a wide red piste that forked (straight on and left).

A ski group of youngsters led by an instructor was ahead. The instructor stopped his group at the fork entrance to the side of the piste. His group (of 10) subsequently started slowing and then stopping uphill of his position which effectively and rapidly closed the left fork route.

I had taken a fairly rapid trajectory towards the left fork that was by then almost completely blocked. To avoid any collision, I threw myself to the ground. No harm to anyone, particularly the youngsters! I remonstrated (once on my feet) with the instructor who’d allowed his group to stop uphill of him and, consequently, blocked a piste. He was wrong to have allowed that situation to develop. However, there’s absolutely no doubt that, as the uphill skier, had the outcome led to a collision/injury to anyone in that group, it was me that would have been responsible. And quite rightly too.

Probably saw a half-finished bottle of Jagermeister laying in the snow more like Toofy Grin
ski holidays
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
Is it really that strange a noise? ...

A skier who gets nervous at the sound of a pole click can get nervous when they hear skis or a snowboard behind them and fall. I've seen it happen.
I was clicked at on a cat track over Christmas. By the time I had registered what the noise was (which I just about heard through my helmet) the skier was already passing me. I'm pretty sure my girlfriend, who doesn't ski a lot, would have no idea what that sound meant other than it's a weird distraction from behind her.

Sure, none of us are silent as we ski or board down the slope. You don't have to make a pole click, but it's difficult to hover above the snow for any length of time to ensure total silence as you pass the skier in front of you, which is probably why the Skiers' Code doesn't demand 0db overtakes.
latest report
If I hear pole-clicks behind me, I assume they are indicting "I have seen you below me, I know you have the right of way on the piste, and I'm going to ensure I pass you safely".

Very nice of them to reassure me.

EDIT - to be clear, that was irony.

Also should note I occasionally click my poles to entertain myself - nothing to do with alerting people around me. I'll have to stop that!

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 18-01-24 11:51; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@NickYoung, if that is the case then there is no need to give you an advance warning. It’s totally unnecessary.
latest report
NickYoung wrote:
Why do you need reassurance? And for the very large majority of skiers who won’t click their poles at you, do you constantly worry they are about to crash in to you?
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
NickYoung wrote:
Why do you need reassurance? And for the very large majority of skiers who won’t click their poles at you, do you constantly worry they are about to crash in to you?

The same logic would call for people hooting their horns when coming up behind you in traffic. Just makes no sense.
snow report
dode wrote:
@NickYoung, if that is the case then there is no need to give you an advance warning. It’s totally unnecessary.

Correct. That's the point.
ski holidays
jedster wrote:
The same logic would call for people hooting their horns when coming up behind you in traffic. Just makes no sense.
Indeed.
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
NickYoung wrote:

I don't.

The point is they aren't doing it to reassure me - they are doing it to absolve themselves of THEIR responsibility to avoid the downhill skier.
snow report
NickYoung wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
NickYoung wrote:

I don't.

The point is they aren't doing it to reassure me - they are doing it to absolve themselves of THEIR responsibility to avoid the downhill skier.
Ah, apologies, I missed the subtlety of your point.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy