Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2022/23 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Just booked the Alpinresort for mid-term - first trip to saalbach for me and daughter! looking forward to it
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi folks! Could anyone tell me if there is an insurance option when you buy your Saalbach Ski Pass? Similar to the French Carré Neige? And can you point me towards a website where it states what is covered etc? Thanks! snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Poogle, they don’t provide anything similar to the carre neige.

Tatmanstours has mentioned https://www.alpenverein.at/britannia/membership/member-benefits.php
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
from the webcams this morning and yesterday looks like the top of leogang is open and folk are enjoying the start of the season a bit more snow is on the way on the forecast ,roll on march
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looking for recommendations for Lunch on the slopes, then Dinner in Saalbach or nearby - over in Feb and while our hotel is AI defo want to eat out sometimes.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@gt3, from the Inside Saalbach Facebook page, dinner

Tiroler Baum, is right up there fabulous food, you can go gourmet or have a classic Schnitzel or wood fired pizza. Take the 680 bus from town or a cab.
Herzlstubn at Hotel Kendler, good food imaginative and different , it’s in town and very good.
Xandl-Stadl, in Hinterglemm , take the 680 and walk up or get a taxi, good food their Vension steak is fabulous, I can still taste it.
These three restaurants to me are good enough for any gourmet.
Del Rossi, in town we have probably eaten here more than anywhere, good and reliable their Schnitzel never disappoints, the Thai curry is good too, the Saalbacher Pan pork chop is another favourite.
Peter’s hotel, steak cooked on a hot stone and a bit different , Peter is a great host.
Schattberg stube, good food always busy.
Eva Alm, a favourite is their burger the bread bun is special.
Spielberghaus, has been mentioned by others fun way of getting there and the food good too.
Maisalm’s recently refurbished and the food is good you can get there in the evening by taxi.
Hope that helps, I’ve focused on places to have dinner.

Lunch there are so many, your best bet is to ask @tatmanstours, for his guide to Saalbach, which has been a great help to many of us, send him a DM with your email address

Alte Schmiede, Asitzbräu and Hendl Fischerei great roast chicken, the Hendl Fischerei is also know as the Chicken Man, need to book and get there early to have a spit roast chicken, all over at Leogang

Montana Royal Alpin Club, at the top station of the Kholmaisbahn, great views and the food is good.

The Sonn Alm near the Sonnalm lift, is good with views across the valley. Wiseralm just below the Reiterkogelbahn is very good, their Tiroler Gröstl is superb.
Reiteralm on piste 80 and the excellent 85 , serves a fablous Spaetzle and Kaiserschmarren have them to share between two

If 168 is open Hecherhütte, the gulasch soup is very good and the apple strudel with vanilla cream is superb

Xandl Stadl Hinterglem bottom of the Zwölferkogel, excelent food

Genuss 12, and Breitfussalm on the Zwölferkogel both excellent

I'm in danger of naming every mountain restaurant, you can't really go wrong
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
lots of great info here, looking forward to our first trip to Saalbach end Feb, thanks also for the @tatmanstours hint as well
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@radar thanks for the great list!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nice to see the lifts up and running.

I'm just looking to sort a couple of private ski lessons for my trip (intermediate who has ambitions to be better). Are we (the collective Saalbach brain trust) still recommending these guys? http://www.skischule-zink.at/en/home.html

Website looks a bit basic but don't judge a book by the cover etc.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@TomBH, Zink is now controlled by my good friend Reini at Ski School Penhab. I can recommend his ski school. Contact them directly on www.penhab.at

Unfortunately the website is in German, but most web browsers translate it. reini speaks perfect English and has British and English speaking instructors. If you contact him let him know I recommended you.

When Are you in the area? I'm travelling tomorrow for a week, then back again in January and March.

Hope you find the lessons you need.

John
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
just a bit concerned re mr tatman, hope you are ok but its unusual that I/ weve not seen a post from you on your own thread in over a month esp with it being the start of a new season, Hope all is well .
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ski for fun, echo that re mr t
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Activity elsewhere suggests Mr T is well. Am sure he will be his usual informative and helpful self upon his arrival in Saalbach which is usually mid December
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ski for fun, @ribblevalleyblue, @kb36, Mr T will be arriving in the Ski Circus this weekend Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Yorksboy, thanks, I'll check them out.

Arrive in Saalbach 4 March with non skiing parents in tow (they will be doing a good chunk of walking). Hope you have a great week next week!
snow conditions
@TomBH, I’ll be there that week, I stay at Pension Penhab. Happy to ski, have a beer and swap tall stories.
ski holidays
Hey. I’ll be in Saalbach for a week, beginning Jan 14. Is the resort generally open, close to full capacity by this date?
ski holidays
@Yorksboy, good stuff.

@monkbeer, yes (open) and no (capacity) you should have a week of a fully open resort and quiet pistes. Resort has widely opened this weekend and more to follow.
latest report
@TomBH, @monkbeer,

I’ll be here the week of 14th January. Yes it will be fully open in January and a lot quieter than Christmas or February.

Today 11/12. Not all open yet, snowing, the badgers are out on the closed runs and the snow cannons are running. Very cold, looks foggy higher up. I’m having a non ski day, been out for a walk. Expect to ski tomorrow, will let you know how it goes.
snow report
Sunny and chilly today

ski holidays
radar wrote:
Sunny and chilly today....

+ plenty of boot-to-knee deep super-light untracked powder to be had Toofy Grin
snow conditions
radar wrote:
Sunny and chilly today

. Lovely day skiing, I finished early as I had an appointment at Sport Hagleitner in Saalbach for them to bake and stretch my boots. I got there at the appointed time only to be told they couldn’t see me today, they suggested I wait until 17:30 and then request another appointment on line. They gave no reason, didn’t say their equipment wasn’t working. But they did have 2 punters in the shop trying on boots! Needless to say a strongly worded email has been sent and I cannot recommend them if this is the service they offer! Mad
snow report
The Wildenkarhutte new extension

Edit: coincidentally I have a photo from a year ago

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 14-12-22 10:18; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Arty-farty shot through the window of the Luis Alm (top of Bernkogelbahn) snowHead
snow report
ski for fun wrote:
just a bit concerned re mr tatman, hope you are ok but its unusual that I/ weve not seen a post from you on your own thread in over a month esp with it being the start of a new season, Hope all is well .

I think he got back to SH (from the UK) yesterday and was out skiing today.
ski holidays
Yorksboy wrote:
@TomBH, Zink is now controlled by my good friend Reini at Ski School Penhab. I can recommend his ski school. Contact them directly on www.penhab.at

Unfortunately the website is in German, but most web browsers translate it. reini speaks perfect English and has British and English speaking instructors. If you contact him let him know I recommended you.

When Are you in the area? I'm travelling tomorrow for a week, then back again in January and March.

Hope you find the lessons you need.

John

All booked. Thanks for the recommendation.
snow report
@Yorksboy, how did you get on with your boots?
ski holidays
@radar, Hi. I didn’t. Got an email back saying he was called away, and suggested I call in the following morning. I declined as this would mean missing a whole day and to be honest I have no faith in them now. I’ve emailed Gumpold in Hinterglemm but they haven’t responded. I’m going to put up with it this week and take my boots back to the UK to get sorted there.
If it were high season I could understand why the locals wouldn’t want this sort of business, but this early it’s quiet! Guess they make enough not to be interested!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@TomBH, glad you are sorted- Reini said you had been in touch/ see you in March.
snow report
Does anyone know of any top instructors in the valley? Considering a lesson during our trip in January, as i'm training towards an April exam. Someone that knows the BASI/IASI system even more appreciated!
snow conditions
@swskier, try Reini at www.penhab.at

Reini is very highly qualified and trains instructors in Austria. Let him know what you need, I‘m sure he can help.
Mention me if you contact him.
Regards

John
latest report
@Yorksboy, thank you
snow report
Arrived Sunday night, having driven down with Spacey. Out skiing Monday and Tuesday on near perfect, quiet pistes. Checked into the Sonnhof, the Hendl Fischerei, and the Bergeralm. My ears have been burning - I put it down to the cold air temperatures, but it turns out to be this thread.
Still trying to catch up with the news, which currently is that the Hinterhag is already open for drinks (but not yet for music), and the inside bar of the Spitzbub has been remodelled to create more space (but not yet been in to inspect it). Oh, and menu prices have unsurprisingly increased noticeably (Hendl Fischerei: chicken and bread roll €13.90; gulasch soup €8.50).
ski holidays
tatmanstours wrote:
Hendl Fischerei: chicken and bread roll €13.90; .

Seems pricey vs 1/2 Chicken and Chips in Hintertux last week at €12.50, unless it's a whole chicken?
snow report
Hi, first time posting in this forum and first time going to Saalbach.

Staying at Dreihutten which appears to be ski in/out from/to Bernkogelbahn.

But is there any way to link from piste 152 (Turn 6 seater or Kohlmaisbahn) into piste 146 (Bernkogel descent)? Just overexcited advanced route planning for some early intermediates!

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks in advance.
snow report
@Yorksboy, Walked past them this afternoon the boot shop was closed, wondering if they have a staff issue, it's normally two boot fitters plus Marcellus. There's quite a few jobs being advertised
latest report
@radar, yes I understand all about staff shortages. But, I had a confirmed appointment, they have my contact details, if they needed to cancel at the last minute they could have contacted me. What ever way you look at it just poor customer service.
I’ve been coming to Saalbach for the last 17 years, I stay multiple weeks, I’m a strong believer in using local businesses.
snow report
@Yorksboy, totally agree that they should have honoured the appointment or at least contacted you.
latest report
@Niederau aged 4, no but its only a short walk across the road from bottom of 152 to get the lift up bernkogel
snow report
Planning ahead for my parents who are coming with us for some non skiing mountain time.

They are keen to watch some of the skiing races taking place the week we are there. From what I can tell its Women's world cup super g and downhill. 5-8 March

Obviously as non skiers they can't watch from the side of the course but could hopefully be in the stands at the bottom. They are keen walkers but I suspect wouldn't be keen on trekking up the side of a slope for a viewpoint.

I've never looked to sort something like this before and the internet isn't hugely helpful although I could be looking in the wrong place. Can they just turn up or do they need tickets and if so any idea where I get them from?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy