Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
pam w, nice sprinkling around 1,200. Re-assuring thuds of slides being triggered.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
All pointers seeming to lean towards falling temperatures throughout the week and then decent snow Friday and Saturday Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A question for anyone that can help (except Grey Cloud red 27, wink ) at what wind speed do resorts start shutting lifts down? I'm sure it varies by country and by resort, but generally? We are heading to Obergurgl next Sunday and I know its prone to winds and 45kmh are forecast for Monday.

Thanks
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Peter Leuzzi, 44 km/h Twisted Evil
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Peter Leuzzi, No idea but they seem to operate at those speeds ... It snowed unexpectedly down to 1100m last night .. now falling temperatures .. may yey be a good week.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Peter Leuzzi,

I'm looking for some info on Obergurgl, big group of us going on the 5th April, mixed abilities. I've heard the resort is very good but limited for the more advanced, is this the case and can someone recommend some more difficult areas nearby?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Peter - in Engleberg they shuts the lifts when the wind was 75-100km/h, the next day it was up at 45 km/h and lifts were still running (although they were shutting the gondola/slowing it down)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In stubai they had the main gondola up going at 60-70km/h winds, albeit really slow.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman, Very Happy

SP1R1T, PM me. I am almost anorak about Obergurgl!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Peter Leuzzi, some of our lifts shut in lower wind speeds than others, presumably for technical reasons. I don't know the direct answer, because I have no "feel" for km/hour winds, but it seems that once winds approach Force 5 (say around 25 knots, don't have a conversion in my head - 50 kph?)) some are shutting, and in a Force 6, I think all our chairlifts would be shut.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It also depends on orientation, ie a cross wind is worse, i was once on a cable car at kandasteg (sp) when the wind was snapping mature trees but the CC was sheltered by the cliff.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I can't imagine wanting to be on the top of a mountain in 70 kph winds, frankly.

It's snowing nicely here at the moment, already quite a lot more than expected for the day, temperature below freezing though not by a lot (1500m).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Peter Leuzzi, winds of 45kph at the ticket office we would be warning people that if the winds get worse they will start shutting down the lifts at the top. Foot passengers would be not allowed mind. Most exposed lifts close first, old drags are often used instead if they can. All in all mountain closure for wind is a total pain in the butt for the ticket office (and everyone else but i only have exp from the ticket office!)

been snowing here all day, heavily from about 4pm. shame i got to work tomorrow snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BBC Monthly outlook is promising for Scottish (and maybe even English) skiing...

Quote:
Easter 1-3rd April 1983 was the snowiest Easter, with Scotland, the Midlands and Kent getting 10cm of snow.The Easter period this year is going to be characterised by a cold Arctic wind which could bring snow to rival 1983. Once the cold airflow arrives the computer models suggest the cold air could linger well into April.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Fair bit of snow overnight - around 15 - 20cms, but very wet and claggy, at 1500m. It needs to get colder.
snow report
kitenski, this on top of the already superb conditions in the west!

I presume everyone here is aware that 'home' snow has been amongst the best in Europe in the last couple of weeks?

(And there are no queues either!)
ski holidays
SF.com for Wengen looking good for the weekend with temps staying low and about a foot falling Thu/Fri/Sat- anyone know what the temps / precipitation likely to be going thoughout next week (sorry, not go the hang of this GFS lark yet).
snow report
roga, there are no ques here either! 20cm at 1900m yesterday proved to be an awesome days riding, and today i'm told the snow is still good.
could some one please tell me exactly how to get the gfs squiggly for serre che please, i'm having a blonde moment and not being able to do it
ta
snow conditions
snowangel. wrote:
could some one please tell me exactly how to get the gfs squiggly for serre che please

Wiggly for Lat 45 Long 7
ski holidays
The 12z wigglies could look interesting when they appear at 7pm. Whereas previously heavy snow for the Alps looked likely for Friday only, the 12z precipitation charts now suggest that it could dump solidly all the way through until next Tuesday... snowHead And down to valley level.

(if my amateur GFS interpretation skills are up to scratch? Confused)

I've said it before and I'll say it again. What a week to book in advance for a trip to Val D. It really could be EPIC. Just cannot believe my luck. Praying it won't be too busy. snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
Quote:
Praying it won't be too busy

hd
, better pray that
a. you won't get frostbite and
b. the wind won't blow any snow away as soon as it falls.

[edit; sorry about font, don't know what happened there]
snow conditions
pam w, misery guts
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:
Praying it won't be too busy

better pray that
a. you won't get frostbite and
b. the wind won't blow any snow away as soon as it falls.

[b]pam w
, we'll be driving down the road to play in the trees at St Foy if wind/vis/cold prevent access to the upper slopes of the Espace Killy. The colder the weather the fewer people on the slopes. Maybe.
ski holidays
pam w, hd, sort yer fonts out guys - that's doing my nut in! carled will NOT be pleased when he gets home...
ski holidays
MEGA DUMP WARNING Very Happy Very Happy

40-80cms of snow predicted friday - monday....for Haute Savoie

"Offensive neigeuse de grande ampleur de vendredi à lundi avec un cumul de 40/80 cm de neige minimum prévu vers 2000 mètres et à peine plus faible vers 1500 mètres" from Meteo des alpes website.

snow report
snowangel. wrote:
roga, there are no ques here either!

If you say so but many people looking for excuses to diss Scotland quite often go on about queues (in amongst various other excuses the have up their sleeves) - I'm simply underlining the fact that there's awesome home riding at the moment (with, contrary to common mis-belief, no queues) and personally I think a wee bit more respect should be paid that fact since it's not an uncommon event at this time of year although this one is particularly good snowHead

It's also rather easier for people in the north (and many other places to be honest) to get to at the least minute than many other places in Europe, as Easiski (based in L2A) has commented elsewhere here:
easiski wrote:
Looks as good as I've ever seen it - anyone who can get up for a quick few days at easter would be well advised. Very Happy

Can't agree more snowHead

And on the subject of weather there's even colder weather and more snow predicted for the highlands so more fresh on the way Very Happy
snow conditions
roga, not home for everyone, but i wasn't dissing scotland, not that i've ever been or wanted to go. When i did live in the uk if i went on holiday it was to escape the british isles not to go furthere north. But again when i was in the uk i'd go to canada not europe for holidays.
and it has nothing to do with respect, or lack of it, Scotland is as hit and miss (but probably more so) than any other resort. Just has never tickled my fancy
snow report
norris, Very Happy snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowangel. wrote:
roga, not home for everyone,

It's home for the overwhelming majority of Snowheads, who just happen to live in the UK, but is often ignored or talked down...
Quote:
but i wasn't dissing scotland,

Yes, but that remark and the orginal post was a general comment, neither aimed at you nor at Serre Chevalier...

Believe it or not there are people out there who are pretty negative about it - shocking I know Wink
Quote:
not that i've ever been or wanted to go. When i did live in the uk if i went on holiday it was to escape the british isles not to go furthere north. But again when i was in the uk i'd go to canada not europe for holidays.

Cool, good place to ski lots of ex-pat Scots Wink
Quote:
and it has nothing to do with respect, or lack of it, Scotland is as hit and miss (but probably more so) than any other resort. Just has never tickled my fancy

It's quite often not hit or miss at this time of year - March/April have for a long been been the best time to ski in Scotland and this year is particularly good. So good in fact that there's at least one (native) resident of the Alps who has said it looks better than where he is and he wished he could get the time off work to head over!

I'm just pointing out how good it is at the moment not trying to have a competition with Serre Che, nor am I trying to sell chalet space or anything else in Scotland so I have no vested interest in it - I just think it's unfairly overloked even when it's as good as it is at the moment. Very Happy

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 19-03-08 12:15; edited 3 times in total
snow report
snowangel. wrote:
When i did live in the uk if i went on holiday it was to escape the british isles not to go furthere north. But again when i was in the uk i'd go to canada not europe for holidays.

Then I can honestly say that you've missed out. I 'discovered' the Scottish countryside for mountain biking last year, it is an amazing place, and I don't know why more people don't go there. I'm just trying to arrange a week there this summer.
ski holidays
roga,

where would you say is the best scottish resort to head to?

and how long does it take to get up there?
snow conditions
nick0861 wrote:
where would you say is the best scottish resort to head to?

At the moment west is very definitely best, which offers you Glencoe and Nevis Range which are about 30 mins or so apart (as a fallback cairngorm is 50 mins east so you have a decent choice). If you take a look at the Public Reports on Winterhighland you can see the sort of stunning conditions that have been available the last couple of weeks.

This weekend I and a number of other snowheads are staying in Fort William which is 5mins away from Nevis Range
Quote:
and how long does it take to get up there?

Last time I went I drove up with friend (well he drove and I talked Laughing ) and it took us about 7 hours with stops. hen we came back down on the Sunday we left Cairngorm around 3/3.30 and I as back at my house in Bristol at around 10.30 IIRC. This time I'm flying to Glasgow which takes an hour, then hiring and driving up to Fort William which is about 2 hours at most.
snow report
Kramer wrote:
Then I can honestly say that you've missed out.

Have to agree (but I'm biased, I'm a Scot), the highlands, particularly the north west are one of the few places that on a day when it's all going right catch me unawares, inspire and awe me and take my beath away momentarily. I love the Alps and I love the mountains of North America (probably even more) but I'd be hard pressed to say if they were more beautiful or more breathtaking than the highlands on a good day. In fact I think in the final analysis it'd be a run off between NA and the highlands with the Alps a close third but each has it's own unique and wonderful qalities and is world beating in it's own way. Yes the skiing in Scotland can be marginal but when it's good, as it is at the moment, the actual terrain and challenge, if not the vertical, is IMHO world class.

I do find it hard to fathom why people who profess to love the mountains discount or ignore such a mavellous area so readily, particularly when they live (or have lived) in the UK and frankly I don't think anyone can call themselves a true lover of mountains if they do that!

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 19-03-08 14:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
roga, if I could afford the time, I would be up there this weekend like a shot, especially as skis and boots are in the UK for a change, instead of in Serre Chevalier. Unfortunately it looks like we won't be able to make it. For all of you skiing theis weekend wherever that may be, have a good one, it looks like it will be great.
snow conditions
Back on the weather track, anyone going this saturday will probably have the best week of the season.....changeover day is going to be messy though with snow down to 500m on friday and 60cms at 1500m!!!!!!!
snow report
In the abscence of any experts, the wigglies still looking cold and snowy for next week, with 2 bumps out there in fantasy island which could also deliver nice top ups around the 27th March, and again into the beginning of April. Looks like temps start to creep up from "stupidly" cold next week to "more like normal" from the 27th. However there isn't much convergance in the wigglies, so anything could and probably will happen Wink

Frosty the Snowman - take a snorkel Smile
snow conditions
kitenski, snorkel packed. Should I be trying out some big fat skis?

The O6 run just out looks even whiter Shocked

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 20-03-08 11:29; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
kitenski, snorkel packed. Should I be trying out some big fat skis?

That could well be a fine idea Smile
ski holidays
Just hope this cold snowy weather lasts until 5th april
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
The O6 run just out looks even whiter Shocked

Well if it comes off you won't be needing sunglasses next week Wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy