Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
carled, Don't worry, it dumped enough here (in Wengen) last night to last for your week Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good god AxsMan, are you in Wengen? Why didn't someone say...? wink

Tell you what... I know it's a stuck record... but if you can please grab hold of admin when he next crosses your field of view and let him know that myself and masmith are pm'ing him like crazy without response and that we'd appreciate it if he could just spare a quick minute to answer our questions or just tell us to "f*** off" it would be much appreciated.

Do remind him that I'm going to be out there with him next Saturday in the same hotel for one night and I might have to poo in his skiboots or something... Twisted Evil Well... seeing as Kramer has set the bar, someone has to try and raise it, yeah?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
carled, Will try to catch him this evening, but he's a busy chap this week. he's got 72 snowHead 's to look after and barely has time to eat!

(plus I think he might have managed to squeeze in the odd hour on the piste wink )

Did catch sight of him at the station this morning Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
AxsMan, I know he's really busy, that's why I feel guilty harassing the poor bugger. Tell you what... you act as his secretary for the afternoon seeing as you're too knackered to ski and then you can find out the answers to mine & masmith's questions, then you can pass on the info. Job done. Sometimes I amaze even myself... snowHead

Oh and I'm glad that the snow I predicted did arrive... phew... looks a bit soggy in resort on the webcams though... looks like more wet stuff on the way with borderline temps...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
carled, Just spoke to him and promted him to pick up your PM's. What were the questions BTW?

The stuff that fell last night was powdery rather than 'wet', hopefull for more of the same tonight! snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
AxsMan, Thanks chap. He was going to speak to Victor on our behalf (he'll know who I mean!) and also he was going to let me know if he wanted to organise our lift passes so SH benefitted or whether I just needed to sort it out with Nathalie myself instead. One of my group wanted to pay for her pass on credit card as she is short of cash this month and I didn't know if that affected stuff for him.

Looking at the rainfall radar, I'd guess the main lump will hit you at around 8-9pm. As it's falling at night when it's colder, there'a a good chance it could be snow instead of rain...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AxsMan, thanks from me too ! As with carled admin was sorting out our lift passes so that SH's got a slice.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well the incoming forecasts have got me wetting my pants for Easter Weeken when we go out. It could well be amazing as the snow is falling and the temperatures look like being unseasonally cool Very Happy snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
...me wetting my pants ...

You need to speak to Kramer Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
AxsMan, I did, about 30 minutes ago Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Well the incoming forecasts have got me wetting my pants for Easter Weekend

Me too. Embarassed
It continues to look very promising.
I booked a week in Val d'Isere 22-29 March yonks ago thinking I would be topping up my tan but maybe the powder board will have to be packed. snowHead

Check out the amount of precipitation on the 12z charts. Lots of dark blue and purple colours over the Alps. Fingers crossed it will be cold enough.

The 12z wigglies could be make for interesting viewing when they appear around 7pm.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frosty the Snowman, hd, to be clear... wetting ones pants is a good thing?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hd wrote:

The 12z wigglies could be make for interesting viewing when they appear around 7pm.

LOL. The 12z wigglies for Wengen/Verbier ( 46/8 ) are indeed spectacular... not quite so good elsewhere, but still damn impressive...
snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
carled, Keep up the good news , I'm leaving work in Leicester in half an hour, then no more work for yonks and a ferry to catch on Friday evening. Wengen here we come. Toofy Grin snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
carled, the Mothers of to St. Johann in Tirol on Sunday.

Am i right in thinking the likelyhood is for rain as she arrives which could turn into snow as the week progresses?
latest report
The temperature here has risen very markedly - 3 degrees warmer now than at 4pm, and it's raining steadily. Rain, I should think, up to at least 1900m.
snow conditions
carled, masmith, Now look what you've done! I interrupt admin part way through the cheese course, to ask your questions, and now I've been re-named Shocked Shocked Shocked

Oh well, back to the Karaoke "Somewhere, Over the Rainbow....." Laughing
latest report
just stay away from the yellow snow road Shocked
ski holidays
wigglies consistantly pointing to sustained "lower than average" temps through the end of March with decent top ups of snow following a warm blip around the 14th to 17th March Smile

ski holidays
kitenski, yikes - that looks like a lot of rain on the 16th... Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
red 27, looks like a one day blip to me, with a cold front bringing snow.

<glass>

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 13-03-08 13:29; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, hope you're right... my reading of these charts is rudimentary at best
snow report
I am very impressed by everyones knowledge and informed comments. I have only just found this thread in recent times and can't be reading 45 pages!

Could someone just quickly advise what the various colours denote?

The vertical axis is temperature I presume?
ski holidays
Peter Leuzzi, Hi Peter - briefly top line is temp, bottom is precipitation with spikes being lots and flatlining being none. Obviously the ideal is that a big spike happens in a cold phase - rare in my experience, as most of the moisture seems to come in off the Atlantic... THe 16th does look a little worrying to me, but I'm advised above that the moisture may be along the line of a cold front so rain turning to snow, which is good - I think! Smile

The various colours denote - I think - the various different computer models run by the various different forecasting organisations, with the grey line being the 'average'. Sometimes they differ wildly - in the graph above they're quite well aligned, on temp at least

As kitenski says it does look like a decent concensus for a cool down with some reasonable indications for some snowfall from around the 19th onwards... Suits me Very Happy

You off on another jaunt too?
ski holidays
red 27, I think you are my best snowHead friend!

I get it now!!

Yes - the family is off on the 23rd to Obergurgl. Can you arrange for the winds to be kept down this time? The temperatures and precipitation for then are looking tres good to me.

You off?
snow conditions
peter - read the sticky beginners guide to gfs...
latest report
aw shucks - It's the experts on here that need the thanks... snowHead

Strangely wind doesn't seem to get a mention, although in high, exposed resorts like Obergurgle (and Cervinia wink ) it can royally mess things up.

I guess we're reliant on the 'punter' sites like Metcheck and Snow-Forecast to give us a steer, maybe with some help from the pressure charts from the good old BBC

and yes - Davos, 19th Very Happy
snow report
Peter Leuzzi, Good point on the wind - a whole new dimension of worry and speculation. Now we all have a basic understanding of wigglies, and know the limitations of computer models, estimated snow depths, microclimatic effects and automated weather sites

and show appropriate respect to the readers of the runes....

... I think isobars should be our new obsession.... wink snowHead

C'mon Carled - will the wind speed at the top of Aiguille Rouge on Easter Saturday exceed the operating limit for the telecabine (28.5kph I believe)?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
.. I think isobars should be our new obsession...

Right. It was a retrograde step when the TV dumbed down the weather forecasts by removing all the pressure charts and talking asinine nursery rubbish. As my meteorology (sketchy) was learnt for sailing purposes the major focus was on isobars. I understand isobars and have a feel for what what winds and precipitation tend to do around fronts (in the UK, at any rate). But I don't know my way round the weather websites; if there are some sites which show projected pressure evolution over the Alps, along with frontal systems, I'd be very grateful for a pointer. I'd also be grateful for a reminder of where that precipitation radar can be found.
snow conditions
pam w, this is one of the sites I use for aviation weather purposes. Look in the drop down box top left, it'll probably have what you need
http://www.euro.wx.propilots.net/
ski holidays
pam w, Auntie also makes a stab at it....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/world/west_europe/pressure.shtml
snow report
pam w, , This is one I use for sailing.

http://www.windguru.cz/int/
snow report
Quote:

Strangely wind doesn't seem to get a mention, although in high, exposed resorts like Obergurgle (and Cervinia ) it can royally mess things up.

red 27, the last time you said that to me pre-ski trip, I encountered 65kmh winds where I could ski sixteen times faster than normal in one direction, and touch my achilles heals with my forehead in the other (think about it Very Happy ). Due to the obvious Wind Gods that are snowHead and take on board these types of comments....please shut up about places with high winds Toofy Grin
snow conditions
isobars available here

http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/

and here

http://131.54.120.150/index.cfm?section=dspLoop&image=21OWS_EUROPE_FITL_PROG-BRIEFING_??
latest report
Thanks - lots of nice links. I like that nice simple Auntie one. Some of the others won't load - because of my very poor line up a mountain miles from anywhere, I only have a few kb/s connection.
snow report
Peter Leuzzi, Very Happy
latest report
Your reporter live from Wengen. Arrived in amazingly good time. Love the "private airport" of Berne, straight onto the bus, straight to Lauberbrunnen, straight on train, in resort for 11:30am local time! Met Admin at VL, got lift passes sorted, did Pizza and beer at Sinas, went to Central and ambushed stab, met a few other departing snowheads and decided to have a run down from Kleine Scheidegg at the end of the day. Blimey it's slushy... very slushy. So looking at the forecast, precipitation amount disappearing, but what does fall tomorrow and Monday will be, I fear, rain at resort level...

c'est la vie. Beer is good, company is good, resort picturesque. Have also had tip off about where to find good snow tomorrow... so will probably bump into Stab there. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
carled, Glad to hear you made it there OK. Your good friends at Snow Forecast are predicting low temps from Mon onwards and then a fair old dump Thurs/Fri - what do you reckon the chances of that are? How you get on on collecting passes, "nothing to worry about" would be a good answer.
latest report
Let's hope this cold front brings rapidly dropping temperatures. The leading edge of it hit us, out of a fairly clear sky, about an hour ago, and it's pouring down, with temperature (at 1500m) still at 4 degrees. The wind preceding it was very, very, warm.

Today saw high cloud gathering from mid-day, just as forecast. Ring round the sun at 1 pm. But then it all cleared, not at all as forecast, around 5pm. And the air was definitely different from yesterday, though temperatures were very similar (ie extremely warm). Yesterday the hot air balloons were finding good rising air, looking very picturesque. Today, they couldn't get it up at all, and were subsiding floppily all over the pistes and having to be recovered by skidoo.

The snow-forecast outlook for the day turned out to be pretty well spot on. Meteo France (and the local forecast) got it wrong.

Still, Wales got the Grand Slam. snowHead
snow report
Up early to drive into Geneva. That front was a very active one - thunder and lightning at 4 am by which time it was snowing, and there's a few inches of rather wet snow now. Temperature minus 1. (1500m). Shame the heavy rain earlier wasn't snow - but should be good higher up.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy