Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

However, the snowfall on the back end of the 9th

Often known as the 10th Wink

still looking cooler going into the back end of March, which hopefully will coincide with some snow for us Easter holidayers...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kitenski wrote:
Quote:

However, the snowfall on the back end of the 9th

Often known as the 10th Wink

still looking cooler going into the back end of March, which hopefully will coincide with some snow for us Easter holidayers...

Stop it! I mean the back end of the 9th as in late in the day on the 9th overnight into the 10th as opposed to "starting from the 10th" now behave!

I'm currently looking, with slightly open jaw, at the wigglies past the 15th... I can't remember seeing so much widespread agreement on a cold spell at such distance... usually there is a massive spread as far warm as there is cold... but this is showing the chance of something special if all of the wigglies are heading that far cold... Whether this is a sign of the jet stream finally playing ball and shifting far enough South to let some truly arctic air in or not, I don't know... I must go and have a look later at the netweather forum and see what they're saying about this as there are some very clever bods on there that will know what's afoot.

Putting it basically, if this comes off then the week from the 15th and into Easter itself will be very special indeed.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh I so wish I hadn't booked 25 of us to go skiing on the 23rd March Toofy Grin Toofy Grin (touch wood)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Oh I so wish I hadn't booked 25 of us to go skiing on the 23rd March Toofy Grin Toofy Grin (touch wood)

You may well be about to be promoted to Lardy Snow God amongst your group at this rate... snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
carled, hang on, I'm not trying to be picky here, but I don't want it to snow for an entire week, without stopping, from the 15th. The odd ray of sunshine - I'm not asking for entire blue sky days, you understand - to enable me to see where I'm going, would also be welcome. [Runs for cover.]
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
hurtle - I think you'll be ok, the wigglies are flat (for la Ros) 14/15th, little blip on 16th, then flat again
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski wrote:
hurtle - I think you'll be ok, the wigglies are flat (for la Ros) 14/15th, little blip on 16th, then flat again

Oh yeah... REAL flat... rolling eyes You can't discount everything except the main run, Greg! Sometimes the other wigglies get it right and lots of them are progging precipitation...

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Embarassed

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 7-03-08 13:17; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Where is it you guys actually look for these wiggles. Would love to keep checking on ADH, but either way as a fairly low level interemdiate skier it looks as though I should have plenty to keep me challenged through the week.

Still a week away and I am getting really excited. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski, I am getting a tad excited Very Happy fresh snow and colder than average temps would be rather superb snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
reded78 wrote:
Where is it you guys actually look for these wiggles. Would love to keep checking on ADH, but either way as a fairly low level interemdiate skier it looks as though I should have plenty to keep me challenged through the week.

Still a week away and I am getting really excited. Very Happy

Read the thread entitled a Beginners guide to GFS, cunningly posted as a sticky at the top of the snow reports thread.

Frosty - yeh fingers crossed, so far away at the moment though, I've seen too many massive forecasts fizzle away nearer the time. Are you in La Ros for Easter? I go out there on the 29th March

cheers,

Greg
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski, 23rd March for us lot Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
How do you please these pictures in your text?? Because -

Just been looking at the Beginners Guide as recommended by kitenski, and Carled's second post on the front page from 2 years ago, containing the wiggles for March, does it not look a little familiar????
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski, if I'm reading that chart right for La Ros... I'm all new to this game so go easy

11th-13th March: Looks like somethings happening with the wiggles showing precipitation, but it might be getting a little warm... does that mean rain then? Crying or Very sad or will it still be snowy
13th-16th March: HOT! and no wiggles at the bottom so no action in the skys
16th-22th March: Brass monkeys COLD and no wiggles at the bottom so nothing falling

Or am I completely wrong Puzzled Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski, which La Ros are you on about, mate? The one famous for it's perfect ski resort standing, next to La Thuile in Italy is at Lat 45.62, long 6.84, which is a damn sight nearer to my 46/7 map than your 48/6 one, which is somewhere a hundred km or so South of Nancy in the French countryside!

Get your geography right chap... wink

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 7-03-08 13:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Is that the precip from March 2nd finally arriving? Very Happy

cool... i wonder if work (and the wife) would let me take my holidays again Puzzled
ski holidays
Embarassed

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 7-03-08 13:18; edited 1 time in total
snow report
reded78 wrote:
How do you please these pictures in your text?? Because -

Just been looking at the Beginners Guide as recommended by kitenski, and Carled's second post on the front page from 2 years ago, containing the wiggles for March, does it not look a little familiar????

Yeah, sorry - before I knew better I'd put links in to the current charts. That means it always shows the most recent. The ones I do now are links to static snapshots, so it will be preserved "as it was" rather than updating every 6 hours...
snow report
carled wrote:
kitenski, which La Ros are you on about, mate? The one famous for it's perfect ski resort standing, next to La Thuile in Italy is at Lat 45.62, long 6.84, which is a damn sight nearer to my 46/7 map than your 48/6 one, which is somewhere a hundred km or so South of Nancy in the French countryside!

Get your geography right chap... wink

B*LL*CKS!! That's what Google does for you Embarassed

and double bullocks, I'm now alot more excited!!

Can you tell I got a U in Geography many, many moons ago Wink

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 7-03-08 13:19; edited 2 times in total
snow report
off to soll on 22 march , looking good then . cant wait. any snow will do . thanks for all the info guys , will keep on checking . Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
tim000, soll is below sea level isnt it wink so it may all fall as rain Shocked
snow conditions
46/7 Map, so that would also relate to Les Arcs also following my google search of long/lat ? (my current focus of interest, as I am off there overnight on the 14th for a long weekend).

Some precipitation early next week (9th through 13th), then a drop in temperature for the weekend (which was previously looking a bit warmer?) followed by more precipation on the 21st and 22nd?? I think I'm looking at the 6z at http://85.214.49.20/wz/pics/MS_746_ens.png ...
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
carled, hang on, I'm not trying to be picky here, but I don't want it to snow for an entire week, without stopping, from the 15th. The odd ray of sunshine - I'm not asking for entire blue sky days, you understand - to enable me to see where I'm going, would also be welcome. [Runs for cover.]

Hurtle - I do!! If this forecast is vaguely right, Ischgl could be a fine thing

Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
TristUK, that's it - you're reading it right... There are no absolute answers to what will be rain or snow, and as you've probably gathered these graphs are for a particular place, and the Alps are about 1000 miles long so local variations are a given.
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:
TristUK, that's it - you're reading it right... There are no absolute answers to what will be rain or snow, and as you've probably gathered these graphs are for a particular place, and the Alps are about 1000 miles long so local variations are a given.

Excellent! Good to hear something is wearing off with my hanging round here then Smile
ski holidays
gortonator, I don't think Ischgl and Verbier are very close to each other, so maybe we'll both be happy. I'm going to have to stop reading this thread soon, it's beginning to make me feel quite nervous and jumpy!
ski holidays
carled wrote:
goaty wrote:
carled, what are your weather forecasting credentials?

None whatsoever. Why? Do I need some? Are you the forecast police and I'm going to be done for unlicensed forecasting now... Oh dear. Time to shut up the market stall and leg it...

i was just wondering whether you were a meteorologist. surely that is not a question which deserves ire or mockery?
latest report
goaty wrote:
carled wrote:
goaty wrote:
carled, what are your weather forecasting credentials?

None whatsoever. Why? Do I need some? Are you the forecast police and I'm going to be done for unlicensed forecasting now... Oh dear. Time to shut up the market stall and leg it...

i was just wondering whether you were a meteorologist. surely that is not a question which deserves ire or mockery?

Depends on whether you've been following the recent shenanigans on here or not really, doesn't it? On the face of it a simple question, but can easily be interpreted as something else... if you intended it as a fully innocent question then you have your answer already and apologies for biting your head off...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
goaty, I wondered when I saw your post.... I reckon if you'd phrased it more politely and perhaps been less abrupt it would have been taken as genuine, as it was it read rather as "Who died and made you Queen of the weather, you smug git?" Evil or Very Mad

tis a hazard of these forums.... I recommend liberal use of emoticans and more subtle language to get the spirit of the question across more clearly.... Very Happy as we have to do without the eye-contact and gentle knee-squeezing that we'd be able to employ if quizzing the great man face-to-face

e.g. Carled, pray tell, how did you become so knowledgable about weather forecasting please? Smile snowHead
latest report
goaty, fwiw, I too interpreted your question as having some 'side.' If not, apologies from me for jumping to erroneous conclusions. As red 27 says, it's easy to misinterpret forum-speak.
ski holidays
carled, Talk the talk but do you walk the walk...

Surely forcasting or soothsaying is the same as 'spiritualists', tell em what they want to hear, be vague enough to invite wide interpretation and vague enough to construe after the event that you were right?

TAXI!

wink
latest report
Quote:
tell em what they want to hear

martski, this is presumably another deeply ironic comment. If you think carled tells people what they want to hear you haven't been paying attention. It's precisely because they so often don't want to hear what he says, particularly when they are wetting themselves about the fact that there "is going to be" 67cms of snow at their chosen destination in the following week, that people get so cheesed off.
Quote:
ski holidays
Sorry, bored at work!
latest report
fair enough, but i wasn't rude. merely concise! there was no side to my question, just interest.

conflict is often created as people are looking for it. i think that's a shame.
snow conditions
carled wrote:
Depends on whether you've been following the recent shenanigans on here or not really, doesn't it? On the face of it a simple question, but can easily be interpreted as something else...

or a simple statement. Laughing
snow report
goaty, sorry, again. It's also easy for banter to be seen as conflict, when that isn't intended either.
snow conditions
carled, thanks for your inputs.
ski holidays
one quick question though. the green line (hauplauf) is calculated at "a higher resolution of half a degree". is that degree temperature, or geographical location? Puzzled
ski holidays
goaty wrote:
fair enough, but i wasn't rude. merely concise! there was no side to my question, just interest.

conflict is often created as people are looking for it. i think that's a shame.

couldn't agree more.
snow conditions
anyway, in 20 hours time my board will be carrying down the slopes of Morzine and PDS generally, so can I expect snow over the next week (gentle squeeze of knee Little Angel plus emoticon) and will it it nice and chilly? Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy