Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Avoriaz / Morzine / Les Gets / Chatel - 2011/12 snowreport

Poster: A snowHead
Which one is next to a drag lift that goes up by a massive terrain park? I've driven up there before, but it was a few years ago.

Memory might be faulty, therefore.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
paulio, that would be Avoriaz I guess. The terrain park is right by the car park if you drive up. (If you ski to Avoriaz from Morzine via the Super Morzine gondola, the last chairlift passes over the terrain park, very amusing and you might learn some new words, i did Very Happy )

TomDoc, Avoriaz is higher and purpose built - some say it is ugly, I don't agree, it has zillions of self-catering apartments and lots of restaurants/bars. It is also the highest "town" in the PdS, so gets the best snow, and the crossroads for the whole PdS, so gets the worst traffic. This weekend, it is almost certainly your best bet for sking as i doubt much will be open elsewhere. However i do not know how many of the bars/restaurants will be open.

Morzine is a proper town, ie not just a ski resort, so there's likely to be more going on/open in the town itself, but it is lower so snow may be thin and not many runs open.

Les Gets is a smaller village, prettier than Morzine, equally popular with brits, effectively they are on either side of the same mountain. Being more of a "ski place", again not sure how much will be open yet.

For next week, I would probably look for accommodation in Morzine, and from there, either drive to the Prodains cable car up to Avoriaz, or get the free bus there. That way you will get the "life" of Morzine with thew snow of Avoriaz.

Cheers Tim
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sanman wrote:
paulio, that would be Avoriaz I guess. The terrain park is right by the car park if you drive up.

Yeah, I think my poorly-phrased question was supposed to be "which car park is next to that terrain park?"
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
White outs all round on cams- yessss.
Heading to Morzine end of Jan and feel much better seeing some durty snow clouds and snow.
My mate that is coming on his first trip in 4 years was near panic stages last week at his 40th birthday party.
All good now. Get solid base and more dumps- result

Ski boots on around house today and can't wait now. As I said earlier in this thread it can't be worse than last year.

Just need to get in shape now lol...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
paulio, the Be Nice please! great big one in Avoriaz - get a map! rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The reason I can't remember all that well is that I got tricked into driving up from Morzine. We drove to the Prodains and then for some reason I didn't understand then and can't remember, turned the car round and carried on up some horrible hairpin-infested road, parked next to a big terrain park, and then got on a 45 degree drag lift (me in my 7th hour or so on a snowboard). I hate my friends.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
paulio, that does sound quite crap.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
paulio wrote:
No pressure then.

I hope somebody gives you some contrasting advice soon, so that I'm not responsible for anything.

I'll expect you to refund me if it's crap!

Thanks for the suggestion though, it could be good to go somewhere other than Tignes.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
zzz wrote:
I'm off for a rando in Avoriaz tomorrow. I'll report back on the snow.

That's very energetic of you sir.

Do let us know how things are.

You'll be "pleased" to hear that MrsFS is doing another season. So, frankly. You're. Doomed.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
zzz, haven't got any rando boots till this afternoon (new ones being fitted by Jamie Razz ) so have fun. Are you around on Thursday?

Not as much snow fell last night in town but looking at webcams looking good on the hill. Forecast is for loads today and then some sunshine tomorrow afternoon!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's official Avoriaz open at the weekend!!!! See www.avoriaz.com for details.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
FlyingStantoni,

Oh no, can't you put her off?

I didn't rando today due to the rather inclement weather and high avalanche risk. However, I did walk the dogs at Erigne, about 1200m, and the snow was nearly knee deep which bodes well for the higher slopes. The freezing level has risen to about 1300m but heavy heavy rain here in town.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
zzz wrote:
Oh no, can't you put her off?

I'm sure that you can financially motivate her to stay away wink

Let me know if you're around over Chrimbo / New Year and fancy a ski.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Still trying to hatch a plan to get up to Avoriaz this weekend... in discussions with mr and mrs DallyPaul... childcare arrangements dragging their heels a bit. Rargh. Kids, eh.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
paulio, take the kids. Mr & Mrs DallyPaul are particularly good with children wink
snow conditions
We are taking the bairn, it's just what to do with him when we get there that's causing the consternation.
snow report
FlyingStantoni, FrankInston's Daughter is due a good one!
snow report
paulio, Talk to Nadenoodlee, she does childcare snowHead
ski holidays
Chattonmill, but I think she has returned to UK just for a bit, might be wrong of course.
snow conditions
Yep. Also I wouldn't want to deprive her of opening day if she was Smile
snow report
....Back to topic,

snowww!! snowHead

http://livecam.avoriaz.com/

http://portesdusoleil.livecam360.com/
ski holidays
Les Gets Bowl - 8th Dec 2011
Web cam screen grab from the Les Gets "bowl" this morning - nice!

Les Gets open this Sat/Sun with €10 day passes.
ski holidays
Want.
ski holidays
Sorry all - I am back in the UK until the 16th- available to garder vos enfants from then on.
snow report
Nadenoodlee, Slacker..... snowHead
Do you have a Mobile number out there, as it would be helpful to get hold of you. Send me a PM if you can.
I am arriving on the 17th so perfect timing for me!
snow conditions
paulio, www.morzinenannies.com and www.misspoppins.org.uk may be of use...
snow report
FlyingStantoni, knew about the first one, hadn't spotted the second. Ta.
ski holidays
New for this season I think paulio.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chattonmill, done!

I would much rather be back there than sitting in the office in Sevenoaks with the wind howling and everything looking rather grey. 8 more sleeps to go! snowHead
snow conditions
FlyingStantoni, I think they come to the chalet/ your accomodation to look after the little ones don't they, which could be a problem as paulio, 's gaff is in Annecy. Is there a creche or something similar that is open already?
snow conditions
Err, no idea Nadenoodlee. Outside of my current or desired experience.
snow report
Are they switching the Super Morzine bubble on this weekend?
snow conditions
Chatel/Pre La Joux area open from Saturday Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
ctskifam looks fab, what a difference a few days makes. We're out there on the 30th, can't wait.
snow report
Champery/ Les Crosets open this weekend too Smile Grand Conche chair and new piste look tres beau! Cannot wait...although slight issue of skis to be located and mouse nests to be ejected from boots first!
NehNeh
snow conditions
Avoriaz HD webcam is looking great! Reports of 100cm on the upper slopes. Not bad as this time last week it was completely green!
ski holidays
Good morning all,

Off to Les Gets on 16th for X-mas week. Staying in Altitude Lodge which is slightly above main town in Les Chavannes. Need to hire skis for wife and skis and boots for X2 small kids. Who would you recommend I rent from and does pre-booking over the internet give you the best price?

Many thanks.
snowHead
latest report
1556garyt, Berthet Sports if you want to rent in the town (right at bottom of main slope). They are excellent. They are part of Twinner and if you go via Twinner you will get a better price online before you go. snowHead
latest report
summer wrote:
Champery/ Les Crosets open this weekend too Smile Grand Conche chair and new piste look tres beau! Cannot wait...although slight issue of skis to be located and mouse nests to be ejected from boots first!
NehNeh

I hope you have some alternative accommodation lined up for them Laughing
snow report
Still no firm news as to whether the Super Morzine will be running, although rumour has it they were doing test runs of it yesterday?

Les Gets will have 3 lifts open:
Chavannes Express
La Croix chairlift
Mouille au Roi draglift

Avoriaz claims 80% opening - anyone know which 80%? Prodains and/or Argent running?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy