Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Yad Moss and Weardale, North Pennines

Poster: A snowHead
Helen Beaumont,

If you have been there you will find a two-storey permanent building with toilet facilities and a decent-sized rest room, a full size snowbasher and a large diesel generator package in additional to the Poma. Everything is there except a car park. I would have thought someone owns that land in order to be able to erect the permanent facilities some of which are newish to me when I first visited it. If the land is a public land then the facility would have been developed by a government grant of some sort.

People who are familiar with the facility would know the situation of last Saturday could be one-off as a 1-in-15-years event and many problems described by me could be dismissed as they would never happen for may be another 10 or 15 years, unless the profile is raised to an abnormal level to attract punters.

The road B6277 is used by a lot of walkers and motorists, especially those with open top models, so there is a need for facilities for stopping to enjoy the unspoiled country side. At the moment the stops are at Alston or Hartside. I wouldn't have thought a stable flat area could spoil the natural beauty of the Dale.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 10-02-09 17:34; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

The road B6277 is used by a lot of walkers and motorists, especially those with open top models, so there is a need for facilities for stopping to enjoy the unspoiled country side

Facilities such as... unspoilt countryside? So nothing else needed then.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
saikee wrote:

The road B6277 is used by a lot of walkers and motorists, especially those with open top models, so there is a need for facilities for stopping to enjoy the unspoiled country side. At the moment the stops are at Alston or Hartside. I wouldn't have thought a stable flat area could spoil the natural beauty of the Dale.

You'll find everything you need in Alston. It's been there a while. It has tea shops and everything.... rolling eyes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
saikee, I have been in the area more times than I care to remember although I haven't skied there. I prefer not to drive past a car park full of motorbikes and BMW's
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
markP,

Yes there may be some who one can see a lot of unspoiled country side by sitting inside a tea shop in town of Alston. The majority is apparently stops at the cafe at the top of the Hartside Pass.

I don't know if this is generally known but the B6277 has a couple of widened sections at the skiing facility for accepting possibly only about 15 to 20 cars. The snow was deep and unsuitable for paking on the hill side and the other side was steep and risky for parking. Without a decent car park then we should not encourage number of visitors significantly more than 20 to go there.

The facility operator suggests each car owner to bring a shovel to excavate his/her own parking space. That doesn't work as easily as suggested because the snow covers a ditch too. While spending time to do excavation the car has to be parked somewhere on this narrow road too.

The majority visitors completely disregarded the advice to dig their own parking spaces and double-parked the road for a very long stretch. It would have be havoc if more snow were to fall on that day.

I feel surprised that SHs prefer not to see any improvement to that situation.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Helen Beaumont,

In the Engelberg Titlis resort I skied a couple of weeks ago I found the resort was maintained by some motorcyclists and many staff drove BMW too. It was an eye opener to see so many staff on motorcyclists and mopeds in what I thought is one of the resorts with the best snow record.

In St Moritz we were surprised to see a convoy of motorcyclists coming down Diavolezza. Instead of the normal leather they worn hairly jackets and had twin horns on their helmets. Good job these people don't ski with their horned helmet as it would put a different meaning on wearing a helmet to increase safety.

On the Saturday I went to Yad Moss I saw a motorcyclist practising his bike on snow.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski wrote:
paulio wrote:
II wrote:
paulio wrote:
How on earth does one use a button lift for 'jumping practice'?!

See 1.47mins on this video:
http://video.mpora.com/watch/1VikbaVcm

Haha, that's excellent.

I'm not sure I'd call that excellent, more a sure fire way to screw a poma up and stop lots of others having fun.............

I'm not sure I would call this contribution to the thread excellent either, but you don't hear me... oh.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
saikee, but Yad Moss is not, and never should be another St. Moritz.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This thread does seem to be descending into mud flinging. A little less mud flinging and a little more snow flinging would reveal quite a few parking spaces and a reasonably large flat area for cars. Normally these are visible but the pennines have been blessed with something close to a normal snow fall they aren't. The clubs are actually very fortunate that the councils do try to plough the roads as far as the tows. Its not so long ago that the to the last house rule left skiers with 3 or 4km walk ins. Why walk - how much to you want your skiing?

The pennine clubs do have gentlemans agreements with the relevent contractors who plough the roads to try and clear the parking spaces, if time allows. Sometimes shere volume of work means this doesnt happen. On the Durham side B6277 was cleared by the county council uber blower, normally stationed on the A66, after the last heavy fall - not the usual contractors. So no parking was cleared out at harwood and the old dig in nose in rule came into play. Looking at the roadsides near Yad Moss it looks like a snow blower was also used. And so again not the usual local contractor. Weardale went down the route of buying their own snow blower to clear the tow road - it being very low down the councils clearence list. Even there dig in nose in still applies as the club's blower cant be used in all of the parking bays. For the pedants amongst you yes it isnt always possible to get nose in and side on may be more likely but digging in is still something that does need to be done now and again. And yes digging is a real ball ache even cutting the snow into blocks. I can only really stump up the motivation to do 2 or 3 at the start of the day and the same number again at the end. On sunday morning I just couldnt be arsed which is why there was a two car block of snow in the bays infront of the tow. Some of you may be thinking well thats OK you've got a shovel - back to the spirit of self reliance. A shovel is a key piece of kit for winter driving in the pennines.

On the development of the Yad Moss year round resort. Isnt it better to support pre-existing businesses in Alston rather than take money from them. I didnt get to sample the WI apres ski but from supporting the local community its better they did it and the money went back into the valley than having a burger van turn up from out of the area.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thats bays not blocks of snow. The quickest way to clear firm snow is cut into shovel sized blocks and throw forward. Forward usually means up and over the roadside fence. Otherwise you just mound up more work for the next person.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Helen - you could always come and sample some of the south american / morocan standard ski hire available in Alston. Ski's longer and straighter than you could ever wish for.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
oldagedpredator, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
saikee wrote:

I was obviously ignorant
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Best. Quote. Ever.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The tow is getting a rest today but should be back into action tomorrow, Friday and hopefully through the weekend, fingers crossed.

There has been a little bit more snow overnight.

The forecast is also looking good, staying cool with light winds Cool Cool
snow conditions
The latest sets of pictures. Still have more from Friday 6th but haven't had time to edit.

Pictures from Sat 7th Feb 2009
http://www.flickr.com/photos/onemanmows/sets/72157613619790761/

Pictures from Sun 8th Feb 2009
http://www.flickr.com/photos/onemanmows/sets/72157613619579457/

Harwood Club field - with snow - for those who like their skiing basic. Shows the bottom half / two thirds of the run.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/onemanmows/3271161917/sizes/l/

Basic weather proof facitilies Harwood style - the tow in the background has now been removed. The one above may go this year.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/onemanmows/3101769941/sizes/l/in/set-72157594442710205/
latest report
oldagedpredator, The piste machine must have cost a few bob, I don't suppose you can buy those 2nd hand locally !!!
latest report
Quote:

The forecast is also looking good, staying cool with light winds

Sad Not according to this - in fact looks very mild, temperature-wise......and just when I'm getting used to skiing in the Pennines EVERY weekend!!
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Swinhope/6day/bot

Scotland is looking like it could be getting very mild too.
latest report
Yes more snow today and the webcams are showing the top fences nearly buried. The tow is intended to run today, tomorrow and through the weekend, assuming we get no more damage Sad

Unfotunately a rapid and unexpected change in the weather is now on the cards,beginning tomorrow with a milder airstream and freezing levels rising above the tops. Fortunately the wind is staying light so the skiing should be fine though the surface will be heavier. Visibility is likely to be impaired however.

http://www.mwis.org.uk/mountain/LD.PDF

There do seem to be some prospects of a cool down later in the week and into the longer term so fingers crossed that we can hold onto some of our base.
ski holidays
The piste basher and its baby brother came from the Scotland second hand / possibly even third hand. A lot of the equipment - as with all pennine clubs has been sports council or more laterly lottery funded.
snow conditions
Been snowing hard for 2 hours East of Yad Moss and lots more forecast for tonight
ski holidays
Went up to Yad Moss today.
Put a report and some pics up on Goneboarding.
latest report
Yet another good day on saturday though this time without the sunshine of yesterday ! Still, light winds and only a small queue of 4mins made for a great days skiing. The snow softened up during the day but all the runs are complete and the cover is still great.

We will run tomrrow and the tow should be turning by 10am. The weather looks similar to today, light winds poorish visibility and temperatures a few degrees above freezing.

Looking forward to a rest next week Laughing
latest report
Another fantastic day at Swinhope yesterday (Sat 14/2/09)Very Happy - still very wide cover which softened throughout the day to give great skiing.

Today's Observer has a feature on northern England's skiing:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2009/feb/15/skiing-uk-weardale-durham-cumbria

It includes a quote "Equipment can be hired from local ski shops..." I've heard that you can hire kit for Yad Moss in Alston but what about Swinhope? Presumably Alston's the nearest to there too? It also says that a family is coming up from Bristol specially for half term skiing. Let's hope it doesn't melt too fast eh?
snow conditions
mountainaddict, Silly question but where is Swinhope?
snow conditions
Good to see the snow hanging around over there. Only patches left below 500m here. It was 12 degrees today.
latest report
easiski, its in between Middleton in Teesdale and Alston - if thats any help ?
ski holidays
Quote:

mountainaddict, Silly question but where is Swinhope?

Here:
http://www.skiweardale.co.uk/location.html
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnboy and Smokin Joe

Ta for responding to what...snow and confirming that Swinhope and Weardale Ski Club are one and the same.

Was anybody up there or yad Moss today? What was it like? 11C on Teesside Shocked (40 miles east and 550m lower than Swinhope) so I am fearing the worst...... Sad
latest report
Yuu used to be able to hire skis and boots from the dry slope at Willington, but that closed a while ago now.
snow conditions
Went to Weardale today, all snow melting fast with big patches showing through. The snow thats left is very soft. I dont think it will be open again untill (if ?) we get another dump.

Mark
latest report
Aah - Swinhope is Weardale - why didn't I think of that? Laughing
snow report
Friday was fantastic at Yad Moss, Saturday was great and Sunday merely good snowHead snowHead

For some reason Saturday was also quiet (rugby, Valentines, shopping ??) but Sunday was mobbed with queues of up to 10 mins. Unfortunately at about 3pm someone had a big fall and released thier poma into Pylon 1 Crying or Very sad

It took 1hr 20mins to fix but we kept the tow open for longer and skied until about 4:45pm, so a reasonable day in the end. Thank you again to everyone for being so patient, and some of you for helping pull on the rope !

The snow is now dissappearing so its a question of what we can hang onto until it gets colder again, later this week. Fingers crossed that we retain some sort of a base.

With regard to ski hire the Alston Adventure centre hire out kit. Details here

http://www.alstontraining.co.uk/contact.htm
snow report
Unfortunately it seems someone turned on the Half Term hairdrier in the North Pennines. So the holiday round up is very much wait and see.

As it was fourth weekend of skiing on the trot and so it was time to inject a bit of variety - I now claim bragging rights on the first person to do the four dales in a day.

Friday AM - Weardale, ice and hard pack but softening to spring snow. Grass slalom on some section of the lower runs. F2 not running but the gully was still seeing hiking traffic.
Friday PM - Allenheads, spring snow at the wee tows. Apparently they had 200 plus people per day durning the big weekend in the dales. Full cover to about 8". Mixture of kids and kicker sessioners.
Friday PM - Yad Moss, spring snow. PeterS showed me route X, Yad's Black, as yet unamed. Complete with crevases on the approach. Five or six turns down the side of a four storey building and a little hike out but still fun.
Friday PM - Harwood, too late in the day for uplift so a walk to the top. Ice and slab, but it was nearly 17:30 when I got to have a run down. The snow fenced run is going to be patchey but the gully run has about 1m of snow on it. Even has a mini James Bond crevase start!

What happens post thaw - Harwood and Yad Moss both have a solid base and should hang onto most of it providing it doesnt rain too much. Allenheads may hang onto some of the snow on A tow as its sheltered by the trees. Weardale, F1, the lower tow is worn but the upper one should have quite good cover remaining. Harwood and Yad Moss are most likely to come back into condition first if we get snow at the end of the week.

Yad Moss - Saturday, queues of around 35people. Turning over in around 4.5 mins. Spring snow, with the snow only really going off for about an hour and a half mid afternoon.
Yad Moss - Sunday queues of around 65-85 people turning over in about 10 mins. 100 cars in the car park so prob about 200+ people on the slopes. Spring snow, mist in the morning, cleared out and the sun shone. Just as I though the great thing about pennine skiing is patience is rewarded - the tow broke. Skied until the end, leaving on sunday evening there was a reasonable base on the main tow line, the run into the bowl was thining and the snow over the stream had colapsed in places. The back of the tow line fence aka The Impaler, had narrow but good cover all the way down. As had powder gully - the run starting near the metal stock netting fence. I'm hoping temps dont get too high as it wouldnt take much snow to refresh Yad Moss and bring it back with two or three runs in condition.
latest report
Friday Pics from Weardale - featuring a run of the gully from Black Scar to Old Hut exit. It was passed its best on Friday but this is what sets Weardale apart from the other club fields:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/onemanmows/sets/72157614009845350/
latest report
oldagedpredator, Fantastic photos - looks brill. Very Happy
ski holidays
Pics from Yad Moss, sunday 15th Feb 2009.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/onemanmows/sets/72157614024787843/

Harwood and Allenheads from the 13th to follow but a sample on winterhighland in public reports.

Looks like a weekend off at the moment but hoping this is just a short lay up before a return to the slopes for March.
snow report
Looks great. I've got to come and visit.
latest report
Should be running again today.

Still good snow on the main run at the top though there may need to be some snow moving lower down.

csc.tayloredtechnology.com

www.yadmoss.co.uk
ski holidays
Web cam showing thin cover up top. Snow-forecast predicting 18cm over the next 6 days(although it should be noted this site is occasionally on crack). Anyone got anything to say concerning coverage?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy