Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2008 / 2009

Poster: A snowHead
snowcrazy, if it was a resort info system I would be skeptical, but isn't Meteo France reasonably objective about these things? No hope for snow reports if they aren't!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Next time I go up to the top of the cable car I will have a look and see where the weather station is. If you saw how it was blowing off the top today you would know what i meant by 'all the snow is in val d'Isere or tignes now'. It must have been amazing yesterday. I was told the dustbins from the snowpark ended up down past the Altiport. Do you remember how big they are and they were fixed to the ground. Just looked out the door and it is still blowing. I do hope it drops soon. Mad All that lovely snow is going to waste. Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowcrazy wrote:
Mad All that lovely snow is going to waste. Crying or Very sad

Blimey, I will/should be out Friday - should I cancel - is it that bad ? or. . should I try Whistler?? Do I buy a Les Arcs pass or Paradiski - only €200 difference - Puzzled that's my dilemma at the mo. Very Happy

ATB,

Hopefully meet up with some other SH's next week.Smile
Allan
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm out 16th - 23rd Jan (on my own Sad) but sounds like there should be a very decent base by then Very Happy

Not been to Les Arcs before, the off piste sounds pretty gnar and a little beyond me... is there anything less than 40 degrees lol?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
narc, plenty. Where are you staying?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowcrazy, Twisted Evil Out there all season, you're supposed to be telling us all how lovely it is - where's your sense of responsibility? Twisted Evil wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Some Les Arcs photos over on RG's site

http://www.leforumdeparadiski.fr/viewtopic.php?p=38050#p38050
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Some more grat phots over on RG's site. Click on the blog link in the post. You can see the new resevoir in the 'Vallée de l'Arc' photo.

http://www.leforumdeparadiski.fr/viewtopic.php?p=38063#p38063
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JimW wrote:
narc, plenty. Where are you staying?

Arc 2000. I'm looking for any 'slackcountry' skiing really since I'm on my own.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
genepi, Sorry but I have to tell it as it is. There are plenty of places to go and hear what you want to hear. I try to only report what I have seen with my own eyes and the stats the Pisteurs give me.

Today the sun did finally come out and the wind has started to drop. In the morning it started cloudy but brightened up quickly. Only three lifts in Arc 2000 were open before mid morning and the lower lifts in the rest of the resort plus the transarc all the way to the top. By lunch time the Arpette up to the ridge connecting 1600 and 2000 opened and stayed open. The lift up from 1950 to the connecting ridge also opened as the wind dropped a little. Most of the snow on this ridge has now been blown away but the piste along the top has a good base. The black run back down to 1950 is not possible until we get another big dump. Grass at the top. On the 1600/1800 side much nicer. Getting onto the runs is not easy but once on them they have an OK covering. The off piste is very slab-by (is that a word rolling eyes ). It did not look very stable in most places so best to just keep to the stuff near the piste. That's what we did anyway. By late afternoon the wind had picked up a little again and the clouds were coming back. They say there might be more snow tonight and tomorrow. I hope so, just please let the weather god's send the wind somewhere else.

Just so you do not feel to sad, if it is piste skiing that you like. Then the pistes now have a good base 130cm higher up and 68cm on lower runs in most places as the bashers had done a great job before the wind came. You can ski down to the middle of the funic, mind the building site. And down to the vanoise without any problem. The runs in the forests are also in good condition so there is plenty to do. Tomorrow Villaroger opens we hope, so will check that side out I hope.

There you are genepi, not all doom and gloom.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowcrazy, Thank you Toofy Grin I actually like your warts & all reports snowHead wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowcrazy, Thanks keep the reports coming snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Alpinebullit wrote:
snowcrazy, Thanks keep the reports coming snowHead

+1
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just a feeling of what it was like today! Sorry my hands were to cold to take anymore.

snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowcrazy wrote:
Just a feeling of what it was like today! Sorry my hands were to cold to take anymore

I would have sympathy but you were skiing and I was in work Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad . Great photos and great reports.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 17-12-08 8:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
damn, so stoked to get out there. 2 weeks from today. It looks like high pressure may be building up for a while. Hopefully that will break down and the skies will unleash by the time I come around for the season rolling eyes

nice pics as well snowcrazy~!
latest report
Hiya everyone
Sitting in Bourg watching the snow fall now. After a warm and sunny afternoon yesterday - it has all changed!!!
About 2 inches on my balcony rail.... dont know how much more there might be higher up yet.
Forecast was for rain at our level - so temps must have dropped
ski holidays
jayne durham, Must have dropped considerably - was walking around Bourg yesterday in a T-shirt.....
snow conditions
jayne durham, Great news....
snow report
Looking pretty heavy dump up above Peisey Cool Madeye-Smiley

ski holidays
Quote:

jayne durham, Must have dropped considerably - was walking around Bourg yesterday in a T-shirt.....

Yep - we had the apartment door open to cool it down! U still in bsm?
2pm here and jst very light snow now but has been coming down all morning. Looks pea soup up the mountain (expect snowcrazy will update with news from their later!)
snow conditions
jayne durham, Guvnor, Why are you only looking at it. I hope you are coming out tomorrow to enjoy all the snow. It was cold, almost impossible to see, goggles getting filled with snow and at times I wondered why I bothered, but then I hit another powder bank and YES it was worth the effort. Special thanks to the snow god's today for taking the wind away and bringing all this snow back. They say tomorrow might even have sunny spells Laughing

Smile Went up a little late today, it was chucking it down in the morning. Snow that is not rain. They said it would rain in the valley. snowHead THEY WERE WRONG snowHead It started snowing during the night and did not stop all day although it has got lighter as the day went on. Not sure of the official 'stats' but I reckon about 30cm higher up, at least where you could get to anyway and lots in the forest. Not sure how much was real snowfall and how much was blown by the winds earlier, but then who cares, it is fun. I ran out of speed in the trees and stopped. Took ages to get back out again. And I thought I know all the flat places by now. Sad

As you can guess the pistes are in great condition. They say over 130cm base up high and 80cm+ on lower slopes now. Will try to ski all the area tomorrow as Villaroger opened today. If the links are open it should be good over that side as well. Guvnor, Did you get out at all today? How does it look over your side? Do you fancy meeting at La Ferme tomorrow. PM me if you do.

Sorry folks no pics today will try to do better tomorrow but I hate cold hands.
snow report
Steve has been working and I'm not keen on skiing on my own. Especially when as you put it t was almost impossible to ski!
Hope to be out later today. Might bump in to you. Literally if the forecast fog materialises!!!!!!!!
latest report
,,,woops meant to say impossible to see not impossible to ski! Maybe a subliminal slip as I havent been out yet this season!!
snow report
Hey - Wednesday was wicked!! Didn't go much above the treeline but the runs down the pp side (eceuereils) for example were just wonderful

I'm just down in BSM as I couldn't find anywhere up the hill to internet at the mo. Looks quite good for today.
snow report
bertie bassett, good to see you're finally there Smile
ski holidays
snowcrazy, I was already back in the Uk when I posted - too busy skiing whilst I was there at the weekend to post on here wink
snow conditions
Guvnor, Thought you were out longer. When are you back out again. bertie bassett, The Mont Blanc has wifi. Yes Wed was fun but this weather rolling eyes jayne durham, Did you get out in the mist today. You really must drag Steve off that computer and get him on the slopes. Do you guys fancy meeting tomorrow after skiing for a drink.

Today the slopes were quiet again. Started off quite well, even some sunny spells (I think that is what the weather man calls them), they lasted a few minutes and went away again. Villaroger was open and the snow over there was great. Deep off piste and not wind blown. Loads to do in the forest and higher up. Quite safe mostly, but you have to know the routes and even then you can never be sure. Tracks going into and coming out of 'Death Valley'. Not surprised really, but they must be mad before the snow has settled. At least they made it out safely. The bowl above Arc 2000 also had some great snow but is very tracked now. After today my legs are blown so tomorrow will just be a lazy day. The hardest thing today was the mist, vis was really bad in places and it was very difficult to know up from down.The wind seems to have dropped for the moment and they say tomorrow the top lifts might?? be opened. Most of the pistes are now in great condition. There were even people skiing the Bois d l'ours black down to the marmottes from the Arpette ridge, but it still looks very bare and there are loads of rocks showing.

Now I must own up, I took my camera today, even got set up to take some nice pics in the powder. Guess what, I forgot to check the batteries and they were dead. I was not popular, all that preparing for nothing. Will try to do better tomorrow.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowcrazy, did you see / hear about the slide under the varet, apparently quite a big fall onto one of the pistes..didn't see it myself but this was 1st hand from one of the lifties. Apparently no injuries, but everyone a bit edgy, Varet not surprisingly closed, and perhaps unlikely that they'll open the Aiguille Rouge on Sat, as originally forecast. Sorry I haven't been in touch about going some runs, been playing in / around the tress on the peisey side and been doing a number of 'jobs', nieces out from tomorrow so I'll be guiding them around for a few days.

Remember snowHead stay safe out there.
ski holidays
bertie bassett, Yes I did, was talking with the pisteurs at the Varet about it this afternoon. They still say they might open Varet tomorrow if they blow everything ok tonight and tomorrow morning. If we do not have any more snow they might even open top early. They just have to be sure it is safe. Have a good time with the family. Drop me a line when you want to ride some powder, although I will be busy from this weekend until after the holiday period most of the time myself.
snow report
This has been a great thread to follow. I am due out to BSM on the 26th and staying in our motorhome. Will be traveling up to 1600 and 1800 each day. Would be nice to have snow in BSM though Sad This time last year you could ski all the way to BSM! rolling eyes
ski holidays
surfstar, are you planning on driving up to 1800, or catching the funicular.
ski holidays
Quote:

jayne durham, Did you get out in the mist today. You really must drag Steve off that computer and get him on the slopes. Do you guys fancy meeting tomorrow after skiing for a drink.

Yep - twas a little "fresh" out there! Finally managed to get Steve to stop working. Had a good day and were having fun Villaroger side this morning until the little darling managed to totally destroy his skis by charging at a rock face!!!!! Sounds extreme eh.... We were on a blue track at the time!
Snowcrazy - tried to call you re tonight.
Bertie - must get together soon ... Mind you we have a slight lack of skis at the mo!... might have to just be for a drink
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
surfstar, are you planning on driving up to 1800, or catching the funicular.

Hey Rob, I thought the funicular only went to 1600? Either way will be doing a mixture of driving and the funicular. Hows things looking down the valley Rob?
snow report
surfstar, yes, funicular only goes to 1600. Reason I ask is that this season the local Mayor has this season instituted general parking fees for Arc 1800 (and 200 I think). You have to collect a ticket to enter the resort, then pay to exit depending on how long you stay. There is also a new parking charge for the funicular car park in BSM - 1 Euro per day IIRC.

Can't say about snow conditions as I'm in London, although I'm putting that sad state of affairs right this weekend Smile
ski holidays
rob@rar, Hope to see you some time while you are out.

surfstar, It appears you can still park for free at 1600 if you can find a place. Also maybe at the bottom of Combociere lift car park and near to 1950 on the road. But these are only maybe's. At Funic they also have a 2.2m height barrier with not many other places to park near by and they will tow you if you park in forbidden places. All getting rather strict down there. Yes there is snow down to bourg again but I would not try it myself, the forest track will be rather bare.

jayne durham, Great to see you again. Hope you get some skis sorted for Steve and make it on Sunday.
latest report
Today's conditions. More of a mix and shake day. Some times you were gliding along with good vis, then you were swallowed up and guessing where to go bouncing about almost out of control!

Yet again the weather god's have amazed me. Yesterday it was promising to start to clear or that is what I was hoping. Maybe I was just guessing and got it wrong. Today started sunny early on, or so they tell me. I got up late so missed that bit. By the time I hit the snow it had started to cloud over and that is how it stayed until near the end of the day, when there was a sudden bright spell before the big black clouds came back.

They did open Varet and the Grand Col lifts but not the very top cable car. The snow was light and really quite nice to ski, if only you could see where you were going. I stayed on the piste and with the help of the markers had some quite good runs down to Arc 1950 a few times. The treed runs in Villaroger were good so I was told until you hit a rock wall (sorry Steve), and so were the pistes through the trees in Arc 1600. The pistes are starting to get hardened up now but maybe the light dusting they will get tonight might help keep that fresh feel again tomorrow. Although the Vis was not that good on most open areas it did have the odd clear spell. Oh and it was quite cold.

So who knows where this is? This is the only one that is worth sharing and even then it is not much. Crying or Very sad And I nearly forgot, they have nearly finished the snow park. Should be open in the next couple of days, maybe even tomorrow.
snow report
How much is it going to cost me to park in 1800 for the week?
snow report
The Les Arcs tourist board have suddenly realised its Winter and the resort is open, they have turned the Arpette webcam on. rolling eyes Cool

http://www.lesarcs.com/Webcam-Arpette-GB-2420m.html
snow report
rob@rar, I've paid for underground parking at Chantel, will I be stung for an entry/exit ticket as well, even though I am not parking on the road or a resort car park?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy