Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

EES Delay

Poster: A snowHead
At present there are roughly 60 countries that benefit from visa free access to the EU. I am not sure that the EU wants to set up biometric enrolment stations in all these countries.

How do you work out which embassy to put them in (who has to bear the cost of them and the extra staff to run them)? What would the status of the staff be? If there is an agreement for one EU enrolment office to be set up in a country then in how are the costs for each member state worked out? If there are no EU embassies operating there what happens? What data protection agreements are in place to ensure the security of the data ?

It's not as simple as people seem to make out.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
terrygasson wrote:
i totally agree about setting up pre-travel centres to capture required info before travel, am sure these could be set up in all the EU countries consulates in the uk, and i would have said in major countries across the globe also, such as the United States and others, that are required to do this for entry into the EU.

Apart from the considerations mentioned by @Hurdy, this would only work for those in the UK who happen to live within a reasonable distance (ie London, and some of the South East) of such consulates, which tend to be only situated in the Capital City .

For the vast majority, it would be very difficult, very inconvenient and extremely expensive to make such journeys, which presumably would be on a week day, and require time away from work.

Therefore totally impractical.

Far easier to schedule travel arrangements allowing an extra hour or so at the point of entry to add your biometric details.

ETIAS applications will be able to be made in advance, in most cases online or by post, with the Consulate or Embassy of whichever EU Country you intend to visit first, next or most frequently.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There are French consulates outside London that already process visa applications, there is one in Manchester.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I guess my point was that you could target a decent chunk of the population of the UK if you wanted to (I'd imagine there's a limited number of those 60 countries that provide a decent amount of travellers into the EU).

You don't have to use consulates, you could set up stations in shopping centres if you wanted. Get ones in Westfield, Thurrock, Cribs Causeway, Meadowhall and the Trafford Centre and you probably cover 80% of the UK population within a year.

Operationally, it'd mean staffing a much flatter peak. It'd mean you could slowly onboard people etc etc etc and soft test the systems.

It would be less practical in somewhere like the USA where you'd need thousands of stations to get the geographic coverage but the UK is small and provides a disproportionate amount of EU visitors for geographic reasons.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm curious to know why anyone could save time by any pre-registration for EES. Under EES you have to provide biometric information every time you enter the Schengen zone -- that's the whole point of biometric identification.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
That's not how the system works.

The first time you cross the border, they take your biometrics and store it.

Next time you cross, they check your passport and see whether they've got the details and check if the person in front of them is the passport holder.

If they've got your details, no need to do it all again.

If they haven't, you need to go and be scanned.

So on day 1, it'll be 100% of passengers on the queue to be scanned. On day 400 it might only be 40%.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

You don't have to use consulates, you could set up stations in shopping centres if you wanted

Where are all the staff going to come from for all of these locations? How secure do they have to be? Who pays for the wages, the enrolment stations, the rent, the extra security etc etc?

They want you to provide your biometrics at the border as this can easily be monitored and controlled.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
"I guess my point was that you could target a decent chunk of the population of the UK if you wanted to (I'd imagine there's a limited number of those 60 countries that provide a decent amount of travellers into the EU)."

Europe had 594 million tourist arrivals in 2022 (i.e. arrivals from outside Europe) - the vast majority from somewhere other than the UK. Most will need to be scanned on entering Schengen. The issue with being fully prepared is not just a border issue between France and the UK.

"So on day 1, it'll be 100% of passengers on the queue to be scanned. On day 400 it might only be 40%."

Not necessarily so. There will be two queues - one for those who have already been entered onto the system or who do not need to register (e.g. EU citizens and residents), so a scheduled flight landing from the UK with 200 passengers might only have 100 passengers needing to be scanned. The theory holds if these 100 passengers subsequently make another journey into the Schengen area, but many international tourists arrive via London so it is possible that the percentage needing to be scanned remains fairly constant. The theory would however hold for Tour Operator charter flights carrying mainly British holidaymakers who regularly ski in Europe or travel to countries such as Spain or Greece for their summer holidays every year.

"ETIAS applications will be able to be made in advance, in most cases online or by post, with the Consulate or Embassy of whichever EU Country you intend to visit first, next or most frequently."

That is not how ETIAS applications will be handled. Applications must be made in advance and applications will only be online or through a mobile app. ETIAS is not the system that requires scanning - that is the EES system, which is something different and which takes place at the border on arrival into Schengen.

As for preparations, I've seen a report that Salzburg has 22 scanning desks in place - an increase from the 3 desks that are usually manned in International Arrivals. Salzburg has flights from Dubai and Istanbul as well as the seasonal charter arrivals from the UK and the daily flights from London which often have many non-UK citizens on board who have transited through London.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I’m not sure you’re right on two queues -

at Geneva they have c20 scanning machines all in one place (see photo). On first entry you give fingerprints and facial scan as well as answering some questions about where you’re staying, if you’ve got enough money etc. You then (I think) go and see a border officer. I think I read somewhere the prints have to be scanned in front of an officer (presumably so they can see it’s your own hand!).

On subsequent entries you give either prints or facial scan - but I think you also have to answer the questions each time (which I think you do on the machine). At Geneva I can’t see how they’ll have two queues given where the scanners are - there is only one set. It may be that on subsequent entries you can answer the questions and have your face scanned and then maybe not need to see a border control officer, but I can’t see where the queue would split before those machines, at Geneva at least.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@paulhinch, your biometrics are checked every time - either prints or face.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@@andy from embsay, There presumably has to be some sort of separation of people who do need to be scanned and those who don't.

As I understand it an EU citizen or EU resident does not need to be scanned, so does not want to be held in a queue behind 100 people who do require scans and ETIAS confirmation and confirmation of accommodation, funds etc. Even if they do need to be scanned, as they are already in "the system" there should be a fast track for them (and perhaps for others who have already been scanned on a previous visit to Schengen). If, as you say, everyone including EU citizens has to be scanned then the situation is different.

There is also a third group of travellers - those with passports and visas from countries not covered by ETIAS, such as travellers with Indian passports. They will be scanned and will have a different conversation with Border Control officers than those coming with ETIAS confirmations.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@quinton, there’s already an EU and a non-EU queue at Geneva (and everywhere else?).

Everybody (non-EU/Schengen) needs to be scanned every visit - it’s just that on the first on they take both fingerprints and facial scan and on subsequent visits they only check one against the data they hold. So everyone needs to have some sort of scan every time, as well as the check for funds/accommodation etc. Certainly at GVA there’s a single bank of scanners that are before you go past the manned booths.

My theory (to be confirmed in November) is that everyone’ll go to one of the machines in the photo every time. If you’re not registered you’ll then go to a manned box to give your prints and be formally registered. If you are registered, you’ll answer the questions and have your face scanned/passport checked by the machine and will then in most cases be allowed in - but whether you’ll still have to go past the manned booths I don’t know.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@@andy from embsay, What registration questions do you believe the EES terminal will ask? The EES system will register the person's name, type of the travel document, biometric data (fingerprints and captured facial images) and the date and place of entry and exit, but nothing else. Questions about funds, purpose of visit and accommodation are ETIAS questions that the Border Control staff might want to confirm, but the point of ETIAS is that all this is registered before the traveller boards the aircraft or ferry. Without an ETIAS (for those who require one) the traveller won't be boarding.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My understanding is that the enrolment stations are used the first time that you travel. You give your biometrics and then go and see a border officer who confirms things.

On subsequent entries you can use the eGates as there is no further requirement to provide your biometrics as these can be checked automatically.

There will probably still be two queues - EU/EEA and Others - with the others queue splitting into those that have already provided biometrics and those that need to.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Does anyone know will be happening at the andorra border?
ski holidays
@johnE, Stays in Andorra will count towards your maximum of 90 days in 180 in Schengen as there will be no border checks:

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/resource.html?uri=cellar:d67304bd-dd2e-11ee-b9d9-01aa75ed71a1.0007.02/DOC_1&format=PDF
ski holidays
@chocksaway, so the situation will change. Currently stays in Andorra do not count to your Schengen limit.
snow report
@Hurdy, that’s what I thought, but I’m not sure that’s what’ll happen, as they theoretically still have to check you have enough money/somewhere to stay on each trip - which you can’t do at the existing (EU only) e-gates, and I think you’ll need the new machines for (they look like a McDonald’s ordering terminal). There are no new e-gates for “others” at Geneva - just a big bank of scanners that (as it stands) the whole of the non-EU queue will go to and the existing booths. I hope you’re right, but at Geneva it looks like they’re keeping the EU/Schengen queue process separate. The only thing that might suggest a splitting of the “other” queue is there’s 3 (I think) of the McD’s terminals set separately, so it may be that they’re for people who’ve already registered who’ll use those then may not need to see a border official.

@quinton, I think it’ll ask questions about purpose of visit, how you’ll support yourself each time you visit - which are questions border staff can ask now (but never do in my experience) - which I think are EES things not ETIAS (which is a once every three years application and mainly checks you’re not an undesirable). But the key thing is one of the biometrics has to be checked against what they have on file each time you pass through a border either way (the new machinery at Geneva outbound looks like a facial scanner and there are fingerprint scanners on each booth).

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 25-09-24 11:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
quinton wrote:
@@andy from embsay, Questions about funds, purpose of visit and accommodation are ETIAS questions that the Border Control staff might want to confirm, but the point of ETIAS is that all this is registered before the traveller boards the aircraft or ferry. Without an ETIAS (for those who require one) the traveller won't be boarding.

Ah, now i think it’s the other way round - I think those are EES questions, which can be checked every visit. ETIAS is applied for every three years and whilst one question they’ll ask is “where are you going on your first trip?” they don’t ask about funds etc as part of the application. And afaik there’s not a need to reapply/update every visit, you’ve either got one or you haven’t. And whilst they could make it part of API (so you’re not boarding if you don’t have it) then that doesn’t allow for land borders - not everyone who enters Schengen comes on a boat or a plane.

Either way, those are questions that could be asked each time whether it’s part of EES or ETIAS - they have talked about an app that would allow some info to be uploaded in advance (not yet…) so it may be that those elements would be missed out if you’ve already answered them.
snow report
Do you think they will really ask those questions? It would slow things down a lot, the current biometrics machines aren't set up for that sort of interaction. Even when you go to a staffed booth I cannot recall ever having been asked about funding, and recently the only times I have been asked about stay length/accommodation has been with Dutch passport control.
snow report
@j b, that’s my point - the new machines have a big screen which I can only assume is for pressing buttons to answer questions (outbound it’s a different machine - just a facial scanner and fingerprints by each booth), so I think that suggests non-Schengen people will still go a different way to EU folks, whether registered or not. Whilst they don’t ask those questions they can/should do, so I can only imagine they’ll have designed the system to allow it (well they wouldn’t have designed to specifically not allow it, anyway).

I still think there’s an element of us “regulars” thinking about ourselves not the wider travelling public - saying that after a while nearly everyone will be registered may be right, but I wonder what the % of arrivals at Geneva (which isn’t only a holiday gateway) will be first time border-crossers? When you see an A380 from Saudi or Emirates I’d imagine that a large proportion are first time Schengen arrivals, so I wonder if the % will fall noticeably?
ski holidays
Creep...

Someone elsewhere is having a stroke about Spain's 'new, draconian', entry demands. What new draconian demands? EES related?
ski holidays
This is quite interesting (if lengthy!) - Section 5 deals with a number of possible ways airports could set up their systems. The easiest is the one on page 24 (below) - where you go to a kiosk/machine, do your checks then go through an e-gate with your “token” (which could be paper or another facial scan). None of the options seem to be a pure, single e-gate as EU pax have.

https://www.aci-europe.org/downloads/publications/THE%20ENTRY-EXIT%20SYSTEM%20-%20A%20GUIDE%20FOR%20EUROPEAN%20AIRPORTS.pdf

snow report
Charliegolf wrote:
Creep...

Someone elsewhere is having a stroke about Spain's 'new, draconian', entry demands. What new draconian demands? EES related?

I don’t think they’re new at all - they’re the same checks that theoretically they could ask any time about where you’re staying etc (and by the way the same requirements exist in the UK for EU visitors and are similarly unenforced). There was a similar flap a year or two ago about people having to supply their visitors with an “attestation d’accueil” when they’re going to France. Which has never been asked for ever afaik.

The French visa website says the following:

The following supporting documents must be presented at the request of the Border Police upon your arrival in France:

A valid passport issued less than 10 years before and valid for at least 3 months after the envisaged departure date;
A valid visa, if required;
Proof of accommodation covering the whole duration of the stay (hotel reservation and/or certificate of staying with a relative validated in the town hall);
Sufficient financial means. The means of subsistence shall be assessed according to the duration and purpose of the stay and by reference to the average prices for accommodation and food in the Member States;
Your return ticket or the financial means to acquire one at the envisaged return date;
Any document providing details on the profession or the capacity of the traveller as well as on the establishments or organisations located in France which are expecting you, if you are on a professional trip.
You must have an insurance certificate covering all medical and hospital expenses for which you may be liable for the duration of your stay in France, as well as medical repatriation costs and expenses in the event of death.

Nobody i know has ever been asked for accommodation details, financial means or medical insurance
ski holidays
The Schengen Code hasn't changed....there are requirements that visitors have to meet to enter Schengen....but us Brits haven't had them enforced previously when we were part of the EU. Whether EU staff will do so in the future is up to them.
ski holidays
Hurdy wrote:
The Schengen Code hasn't changed....there are requirements that visitors have to meet to enter Schengen....but us Brits haven't had them enforced previously when we were part of the EU. Whether EU staff will do so in the future is up to them.

Yes, I know - it was in response to the question about Spain. There was a similar flap about people having to provide their visitors with certificate of accommodation when they had visitors from the UK - don’t think anyone’s ever been asked for one.

Although that’s why I think the new kiosks need the facility to ask those questions - if they are part of the code they couldn’t “design out” a part of it.
latest report
@Charliegolf, He certainly has his knickers in a knot, hasn’t he?
snow conditions
@@Hurdy, The questions in the Schengen Code were not asked of British visitors when the UK was in the EU because they did not apply to British passport holders. As EU members, British citizens pre-Brexit had freedom of movement into and out of Schengen.

Post-Brexit the questions may be asked if the Border Control officer deems them necessary. The mandatory ETIAS application form will cover many of the questions (but only for the first trip) and the Border officer can still ask more questions and approve or deny the traveller entry if they are not satisfied with the answers. Possession of an ETIAS waiver is not a guarantee that the traveller will be allowed into the Schengen area, even if they make it as far as the border.

According to the official EES website "The EES system will register the person's name, type of the travel document, biometric data (fingerprints and captured facial images) and the date and place of entry and exit" - i.e. it is an automated version of the ID and passport checks and stamps that are currently carried out manually and it automates the process of identifying anyone who has overstayed or who has already used up their 90 days. There is no mention of EES being used for monitoring travellers' accommodation, funds or purpose of visit.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Nobody i know has ever been asked for accommodation details, financial means or medical insurance

On a recent visit to Helsinki I was asked where I was going to be staying. They obviously expected "At the Marriott" (other hotels are available).

Unfortunately, we were going to stay with a friend (address not available - I only had it at home), after which we were going to tour around Finland finishing up in Kaustinen (a small town halfway up Finland) where we would be staying at our friend's parents farm (no idea of the address). Before returning to Helsinki and coming home. I'd love to know how they would handle that.

They also asked about when we were returning - Fortunately we had the Finnair App and could show him the return ticket.

PS They also had hand scanners at the booth BUT no need to use them. No sign of a large number of terminals as shown in @andy from embsay's post
ski holidays
andy from embsay wrote:

Yes, I know - it was in response to the question about Spain. There was a similar flap about people having to provide their visitors with certificate of accommodation when they had visitors from the UK - don’t think anyone’s ever been asked for one.

They very much have, its become a really big thing in the past year or so when crossing the border from Gibraltar into Spain. I have a place down there and a lot of the social media sites mention it much more regularly with people providing first hand experience, it's becoming much more prevalent that people coming into Spain are being asked to show proof of accommodation, flight home, source of funds etc. Strangely enough, Malaga airport is nowhere near as strict as this, they're not bothering too much (yet).
snow report
quinton wrote:
@@Hurdy, The questions in the Schengen Code were not asked of British visitors when the UK was in the EU because they did not apply to British passport holders. As EU members, British citizens pre-Brexit had freedom of movement into and out of Schengen.

Post-Brexit the questions may be asked if the Border Control officer deems them necessary. The mandatory ETIAS application form will cover many of the questions (but only for the first trip) and the Border officer can still ask more questions and approve or deny the traveller entry if they are not satisfied with the answers. Possession of an ETIAS waiver is not a guarantee that the traveller will be allowed into the Schengen area, even if they make it as far as the border.

According to the official EES website "The EES system will register the person's name, type of the travel document, biometric data (fingerprints and captured facial images) and the date and place of entry and exit" - i.e. it is an automated version of the ID and passport checks and stamps that are currently carried out manually and it automates the process of identifying anyone who has overstayed or who has already used up their 90 days. There is no mention of EES being used for monitoring travellers' accommodation, funds or purpose of visit.

I’m sure I’ve read the same stuff you have re EES, and I know there’s no mention of of that info being recorded (although I think i have seen it mentioned somewhere. And of course it wouldn’t be “recorded” - just checked) - but asking for it is part of the Schengen code so my point is the system needs to be capable of doing so somehow - if not at a kiosk then by a border official. I would suggest it makes sense that the terminals are capable of asking questions (even if they don’t use them), or just have a catch-all declaration that you have accommodation/money/insurance - I can’t see any other reason for that great big screen if not to allow some questions and responses.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 25-09-24 16:00; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Dav wrote:
andy from embsay wrote:

They very much have, its become a really big thing in the past year or so when crossing the border from Gibraltar into Spain. I have a place down there and a lot of the social media sites mention it much more regularly with people providing first hand experience, it's becoming much more prevalent that people coming into Spain are being asked to show proof of accommodation, flight home, source of funds etc. Strangely enough, Malaga airport is nowhere near as strict as this, they're not bothering too much (yet).

I was on about France tbh, should have been clearer - the flap was about providing an “attestation d’accueil” that needed certifying by the Marie. Haven’t heard of anyone being asked for one (or any of the other info) entering France. But the main point is it’s not “new” - it’s always been a requirement since Brexit - it sounds as though Spain are enforcing it now.
ski holidays
Quote:

I’m sure I’ve read the same stuff you have re EES, and I know there’s no mention of of that info being recorded (although I think i have seen it mentioned somewhere. And of course it wouldn’t be “recorded” - just checked) - but asking for it is part of the Schengen code so my point is the system needs to be capable of doing so somehow - if not at a kiosk then by a border official. I would suggest it makes sense that the terminals are capable of asking questions (even if they don’t use them), or just have a catch-all declaration that you have accommodation/money/insurance - I can’t see any other reason for that great big screen if not to allow some questions and responses.

There are two different systems for two different purposes. There is no reason why the EES system needs to be able to check the other aspects - the ETIAS system does this and the border officers can check this. Adding this functionality to the EES system would hugely complicate it - and imagine the queues if a family of five all have to individually type in the same accommodation info or sort out their finances so that everyone can declare sufficient funds for their stay. All this is done (at least first time) through the ETIAS applicaton - that's the catch-all declaration that you have accommodation etc. - and for people from countries that don't qualify for ETIAS it is done through the Visa application. Since the ETIAS is linked to the person's passport, when they scan the passport at the EES terminal, the system will presumably be able to see that there is a corresponding ETIAS approval, as all of the other info has already been submitted, approved and stored on the ETIAS system.
snow report
I think you’re incorrect, but we shall see.

The purpose of asking about accommodation etc is to ensure you can support yourself on that trip, isn’t it, so how could you have a 3 year catch-all declaration? I’m sure they only ask now where there’s a concern that people might overstay (although it seems Spain have started asking more people at some entry points).

I’m not saying that info is functionality in the EES system itself (in fact it isn’t - as they have to tell you what data they’re retaining) - only that the entry process has to allow for those questions to be asked, not that it’s necessarily recorded. But as the Schengen code requires that it should/can be asked then they either build it into the pre-entry kiosks or the a border control officer would have to check of they chose to do so. The kiosks I’ve seen have a large touchscreen (as per McD’s) so you must be able to interact with it - so my guess (which to be fair, is only as good as yours) is that if they want to they could ask “can you confirm you have accomodation and the means to support yourself” - not that you’d input the address or hotel details. And i agree - none of that would be recorded and retained as it’s not necessary.

So I agree that they’re two different systems for two purposes, but I think the authorities are interested in your ability to support yourself and assurance you’ll be going home when you enter each time - and that’s when the EES process will kick in.
snow report
"... if they want to they could ask “can you confirm you have accomodation and the means to support yourself”

What would be the point of automating that question? Without the Border Officer checking, people could just lie. If the EES system can see the ETIAS approval, this is already confirmation that the passenger has these. Passengers displaying "unusual" travel patterns in and out of the Schengen area (for example multiple Monday-to-Friday visits that might suggest that they are actually working) will presumably be flagged and challenged. Mr Skier who enters and exits every year in February won't attract attention.

"... I think the authorities are interested in your ability to support yourself and assurance you’ll be going home when you enter each time - and that’s when the EES process will kick in."

That is not the purpose of EES. ETIAS (or a Visa application) will facilitate this risk analysis and already collects this information. This can be backed up by spot checks and the Border Officers' experience, just as already happens today. ETIAS approval is not a guarantee of entry - the Border Officers can turn people away. If someone does overstay, EES will catch them on the way out - with the added bonus (for the authorities) that any ban or sanctions on the the traveller will be recorded in the system and they won't be admitted again.
snow report
As I understand it the purpose of the questions about your means of support are surely on a trip-by-trip basis, and as far as I’m aware you won’t need to revisit ETIAS at all each trip.

What is ETIAS going to ask re your ability to support yourself etc? All I’ve seen is that it’ll ask you where you’re going on your first visit - how does that confirm you have the means to support yourself (and that remains valid for three years)?
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:
@Charliegolf, He certainly has his knickers in a knot, hasn’t he?

The truth do out... Started about data sharing... Turns out he just doesn't want to queue for a moment longer than he used to.
ski holidays
Quote:

the flap was about providing an “attestation d’accueil” that needed certifying by the Marie.

I had to get an "attestation d'acceuil" from the Mairie for visitors from Zimbabwe to our French apartment. I did that two years running - the woman in the Mairie had little clue what to do, but was quite capable of looking it up and working out what to do and the following year the one she'd issued to me the previous year was the last in her book - it really wasn't a big problem. The only potential problem was their flying into Geneva when they had "papers" for France but not for Switzerland. That took a bit of sorting out, and involved me in some running back and forth between the French and Swiss sectors of the airport. It complicated the car hire game too. wink
ski holidays
@Origen, was it actually asked for at the border? That’s the first time I think I’ve ever heard of anyone being asked for it - maybe depends on your passport?
ski holidays
@andy from embsay said
Quote:

What is ETIAS going to ask re your ability to support yourself etc?

Answer: It isn't. From https://etias.com/etias-frequently-asked-questions

What details will I need to provide on the ETIAS application?
When completing your ETIAS application you will need to provide the following details:

Personal information - This includes your full name, birth date, place you were born, sex, nationality, home address, email and phone number.
    Parents' names - Such information would be their first and last names (if known).
    Travel document information - For example, your passport number, issuance and expiry dates, country and location of issuance, or issuing authority.
    Employment details - Details of your current or most recent employer.
    Education information - This would be your current academic institution or place of study.
    EU destination - The EU country you intend to arrive in and the address details of your accommodation there.
    Personal information - Details relating to your spent convictions, any travels to places of conflict, and whether you have been subject to any prior return decisions.
    Parent or legal guardians - If the applicant is under 18, the name and contact information of the parent or guardian responsible for their welfare.
    Third parties - A third party submitting the application on an applicant's behalf must provide details of the person filling in the application, their relationship to the applicant, and any entity or organisation they represent.
    EU Family - For applicants who are related to either a citizen of an EU country or an EFTA national with free movement rights throughout the EU, they must provide details of the person they are related to and the nature of their relations.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy