Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do you appreciate pole clicking?

Poster: A snowHead
@abc, you forget, the FIS rules mean a collision will never happen and therefore nothing to worry about Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Weathercam wrote:
I came charging down a cat track / trail / Chemin today... It was one hell of an experience following the blood wagon down with my daughter inside...
I hope your daughter is OK
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you were to recognise ahead of you, one of the posters who don't like pole clicking... would you do it just for giggles? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pyramus wrote:
@abc, you forget, the FIS rules mean a collision will never happen and therefore nothing to worry about Laughing Laughing

FIS rules are there to reduce, not remove the risk of collision.

FIS rules are there because of people like you.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@abc, where do you ski? I really want to know../
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
zikomo wrote:

It’s pretty obvious. North America
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
abc wrote:
zikomo wrote:

That’s a big place. Where exactly? I just want to be sure to avoid it. And you.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Weathercam, Shocked Hope she'll be OK.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
zikomo wrote:
abc wrote:
zikomo wrote:

That’s a big place. Where exactly? I just want to be sure to avoid it. And you.

You have to “avoid” a lot of places. Even though it’s a “big” place, I ski all over the continent. (I ski a lot) Laughing Laughing Laughing

You can forget Whistler and Banff. Aspen and Jackson too. But feel free to go to Breckenridge or Keystone! rolling eyes rolling eyes
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Weathercam wrote:
I came charging down a cat track / trail / Chemin today and was amazing to see how skiers were totally oblivious to us as we flew past them.

I honestly thought the speed we were doing was quite OTT but I was following the nutters in front of me, and usually I can go past most skiers but I was having trouble hanging on to their tails!

As we ripped round bends on the trail I was stunned as to how they weaved their way through the traffic, without any pole clicking.

We eventually got to the bottom after they ripped down a piste after the Chemin and the ambulance had just arrived.

It was one hell of an experience following the blood wagon down with my daughter inside, the skills of the pisteur secours were immense, and the speed they skied at!

We did all have quite a back slap afterwards, tremendous skills and like I say not one pole click Laughing

Blood wagonners (is that the term), don't use poles...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
NickYoung wrote:
Weathercam wrote:
I came charging down a cat track / trail / Chemin today and was amazing to see how skiers were totally oblivious to us as we flew past them.

I honestly thought the speed we were doing was quite OTT but I was following the nutters in front of me, and usually I can go past most skiers but I was having trouble hanging on to their tails!

As we ripped round bends on the trail I was stunned as to how they weaved their way through the traffic, without any pole clicking.

We eventually got to the bottom after they ripped down a piste after the Chemin and the ambulance had just arrived.

It was one hell of an experience following the blood wagon down with my daughter inside, the skills of the pisteur secours were immense, and the speed they skied at!

We did all have quite a back slap afterwards, tremendous skills and like I say not one pole click Laughing

Blood wagonners (is that the term), don't use poles...

Hands on the sled, no hands for poles.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I don't think @abc has said anything which suggests she is a danger to other skiers. She just has a different way of expressing herself and likes to avoid bandwagons. And blood wagons, probably.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
I don't think @abc has said anything which suggests she is a danger to other skiers. She just has a different way of expressing herself and likes to avoid bandwagons. And blood wagons, probably.

I believe @zikomo doesn’t want to ski where people click their poles. Well, he has to avoid a lot of places. And I for one, am happy to have my regular ski destinations having one fewer such snowflake.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Any suggestions on what poles do the best clicking?

I’ve just tried some CF ones - they were a bit lame, and some beefy G3 pivot poles that sort of clunked more than clicked.

Also interested to know if the clickers like to try out how well poles click when they are shopping new ones - is it a factor in choosing what to buy ?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
abc wrote:
pam w wrote:

I believe @zikomo doesn’t want to ski where people click their poles. Well, he has to avoid a lot of places. And I for one, am happy to have my regular ski destinations having one fewer such snowflake.

There you go again. You could easily have ended your post with 'one fewer such skier', but you had to end it with an insult. Why? Have you always been a sociopath? Or did you take a training course?
ski holidays
I was out walking the dogs today and a cyclist came up behind me very quietly and rang his bell. He then said very politely "cyclist coming through" which amused me for some reason. The dogs chased him for about 200 meters so they obviously weren't so happy about it.

BTW I hate pole clickers.
ski holidays
telford_mike wrote:
abc wrote:
pam w wrote:

There you go again. You could easily have ended your post with 'one fewer such skier', but you had to end it with an insult. Why? Have you always been a sociopath? Or did you take a training course?

I took a training course, right here on snowheads, in this very thread
snow report
abc wrote:
telford_mike wrote:

I took a training course, right here on snowheads, in this very thread

Would you care to point me at the post that led to all this vitriol? It’s just an internet forum, and the fact that others may hold an opinion that differs from your own doesn't make them wrong, any more than it makes your opinion wrong either. There's just no need for the insults. Again, why? How would you feel if I called you a 'snowflake' during a discussion?
snow report
telford_mike wrote:
Clicking other skiers is downright rude. It conveys only one message:

GET OUT OF MY WAY!

If you don’t have the skills to pass safely, hang back until the piste becomes wide enough for you to make your move.

That post is “downright rude”!

But I’ll be charitable and just call the poster a snowflake. rolling eyes

“It’s just an internet forum, and the fact that others may hold an opinion that differs from your own doesn't make them wrong“ Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
zikomo wrote:
There is some consistency here. Several who support pole clicking do so on the basis of letting other know they are there. But crucially so they don’t deviate from their current path. Which is distorted logic at its best. You don’t expect the downhill skier to do anything different as a result of the pole click, but you also DO expect them to do something. Weird.

I concede; it’s a good point. If I were to click and then the downhill skier DID suddenly change direction and I couldn’t stop/avoid them it would be my fault.

I’m not sure if it’s a mitigation but I can think of only one scenario where I do it and only one particular type of skier that I do it to … so very rarely. There is a cat-track in Zermatt that has uphill sections so, if you don’t carry your speed, you end up walking. As you made me think more carefully about the scenario I realised that I don’t pole click slow/cautious skiers; they are no problem to pass safely. It’s the people who are going past the slow skiers and, because it’s flattish, choosing to do tricks/zig-zag and so on because they don’t know the piste goes uphill soon. I do click them so that they don’t suddenly do a trick whilst I’m passing. I could probably stop/avoid them but I’d rather not have either of us have that issue.

So, technically, outside the FIS rules but a very specific set of circumstances which, I would argue, renders it a sensible action.
latest report
adithorp wrote:
If you were to recognise ahead of you, one of the posters who don't like pole clicking... would you do it just for giggles? Toofy Grin

Do you even need to ask? Laughing I'm going to be clicking them at every opportunity, on the piste, in the boot room, in the bar. Click, click, click, click.
snow report
@SnoodyMcFlude, Laughing I shall have such an opportunity very shortly. wink Which is quite exciting, because I've never knowingly clicked a pair of poles in my life.
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
@SnoodyMcFlude, Laughing I shall have such an opportunity very shortly. wink Which is quite exciting, because I've never knowingly clicked a pair of poles in my life.

Handy tip: Get a roll of Caps (like you put in a Cap Gun, 60 years ago) and wrap them around your Poles. Then instead of a "Click", you will now get a "Bang". This will multiply the annoyance factor by a significant margin. This is known as the Coefficient of Annoyance (CoA for short). Skullie
snow conditions
@Old Fartbag, Laughing
latest report
Quote:

Would you care to point me at the post that led to all this vitriol?

@abc was responding to Zikomo's suggestion that she was such a dangerous skier that he wanted to ensure he never risked skiing in any area where she might be.

That was absurd and in response I would ask you (or Zikomo) to point me at any posts which led you to conclude that she posed such acute danger to others.

She didn't, IIRR, condemn anybody else as rude or dangerous because they had a different opinion to her. She did object loudly to the suggestion that her clicking made her a danger to others. She thought they were wrong, and perhaps said so in unnecessarily robust language but given the extraordinarily sanctimonious terms in which some people have expressed themselves about a habit which is clearly considered quite normal in some places one can perhaps understand?

The truth is that what people feel about clicking, or being clicked, says absolutely nothing about how rude or considerate they are. It's probably about where they have mostly skied and what the local habits are. Several of the agnostics (including DOTM) are people who have skied a lot in North America.

What matters here is that people don't shove their way inconsiderately or dangerously past slower skiers. Neither clicks, nor their absence, guarantee considerate skiing.

Some people have expressed strong anti-click views and then been driven to ever more over-the-top ways of defending those views. This thread is classic. Meanwhile, I was probably listening to Bach's Christmas Oratorio and didn't hear.
ski holidays
boarder2020 wrote:
I don't like pole clicking, but I definitely appreciate a "on your left/right" which is a lot more useful.

Well, there is the language barrier to consider. I can do it in English, French, German and Italian but not Russian, for example.

I'll just tap my poles to let someone below me that I'm above them and probably going to pass, just like a bicycle bell on a cycle path. But I always make eye contact before passing, if I can. Often less-accomplished skiers are prone to erratic movements on cat tracks.
latest report
This thread is quite weird in that as I ski most days I encounter many skiers/boarders on trails/cat tracks/chemins, most with a drop into the forest on one side and a wall of snow on the other with trees etc so basically nowhere to take avoiding action and this thread does come to mind as I'm skiing down, whether it's a good or a bad thing my skis do run fast, combine that with knowing the trail and I'm overtaking all the time getting through the traffic.

On the whole its not an issue but I'd guess on at least every descent I will come across someone not thinking about what their actions might cause, the obvious is the teen who bunny hops off a bump on one side and comes crashing down back onto the trail. I have total respect also for the parents who almost take up a defensive line protecting their sprogs in front, as we've done the same in years gone by.

Today was very busy on one section and there is one type of person who just seems oblivious to the necessary etiquette as it were.

Invariably, male, circa 18-25, on blades, jacket open, googles hanging off the helmet, probably from Marseilles, with a mate who is pretty similar, trying to race each other.

Now never mind the clicking, is it cool to push them over the side with the drop Laughing
snow report
@Weathercam,
Quote:

trails/cat tracks/chemins, most with a drop into the forest on one side and a wall of snow on the other with trees etc so basically nowhere to take avoiding action

I think you've hit on the really salient point here, but then you go on to say this
Quote:

my skis do run fast, combine that with knowing the trail and I'm overtaking all the time getting through the traffic.
How do you actually do that without getting too close to/spooking the slow, nervous person in front? I often find myself going long distances at a snail's pace on such trails, because I simply don't know how best to get past. I'm a reasonably tidy skier on the whole, and not unduly slow, but I don't seem to possess the right skill set for this manoeuvre.

Quote:

Invariably, male, circa 18-25, on blades, jacket open
This made me smile. I had a jacket malfunction on the slopes the other week and was forced to ski for some hours with my jacket mostly open and flapping about. OMG, thought I, I'm going to be taken for some sort of hooligan!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hang11 wrote:
Any suggestions on what poles do the best clicking?

I’ve just tried some CF ones - they were a bit lame, and some beefy G3 pivot poles that sort of clunked more than clicked.

Also interested to know if the clickers like to try out how well poles click when they are shopping new ones - is it a factor in choosing what to buy ?

I recommend these poles. They are excellent elite poles, way better than the classic "clicking" style. I've found them extremely effective Laughing Laughing

And an alternative approach, take the wing mirror attachment approach. This is also highly recommended to help pulling out onto pistes and to help avoid the maniacs straightlining behind you (apart from BMW drivers as it won't help them much). Laughing

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sun 21-01-24 15:11; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Laughing I much enjoyed an occasion on a quite fast, but narrow, blue run which is basically a track, in Praz sur Arly. It was a lovely day, nice snow, very quiet. We - a group of 5 skiing one after the other - came around a bend to find ourselves flagged down by a pisteur, as colleagues were jumping up and down on a cornice over the piste. It was impressive to see how they worked - quite risky for them, and we made suitably complimentary comments. Then along came a gaggle of 4 or 5 French lads who hurtled (sorry @Hurtle) round the bend and came to untidy and uncontrolled stops. They didn't hit any of us - they were all pretty good skiers, thankfully, but did end up in our midst. The pisteur tore them off a right strip, about skiing in control, respecting other skiers and the work done to keep the pistes safe. They all look suitably chastened and were suitably apologetic.

You never know what's round the bend...... just like in driving - even if you do know the road (or piste) like the "back of your hand".
latest report
@Pyramus, Nice photoshop skills! 8.92/10 (sorry I'm a perfectionist) Did you source the busy slope imagery or add additional peeps for effect?

In all seriousness I like the idea of a small rear view camera (similar to vehicle safety cams) with a variable distance proximity sensor that could be clipped onto the rear of a goggle strap - a live image could be fed into smart goggles (like a transparent HUD display) giving the skier clarity of whats behind at all times - a budget option could be a simple warning triangle similar to blind spot wing mirrors found on a lot of cars these days . . .

PS - Unsurprisingly I am a BMW driver Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
Quote:

my skis do run fast, combine that with knowing the trail and I'm overtaking all the time getting through the traffic.
How do you actually do that without getting too close to/spooking the slow, nervous person in front? I often find myself going long distances at a snail's pace on such trails, because I simply don't know how best to get past. I'm a reasonably tidy skier on the whole, and not unduly slow, but I don't seem to possess the right skill set for this manoeuvre.

I suspect the answer is you need to pass relatively close to the skier in front.

The risk of spooking the nervous person is there. But if you’re going sufficiently fast, you’ve passed them before they could make any erratic movements.

Depending on the geography, sometimes you can “ride up” on the hill side and drop back onto the trail after passing. Other times, you can also “cut” inside a drop off turn by going fast. With sufficient speed, you will be able to climb right back into the trail.
snow report
Belch wrote:
In all seriousness I like the idea of a small rear view camera (similar to vehicle safety cams) with a variable distance proximity sensor that could be clipped onto the rear of a goggle strap - a live image could be fed into smart goggles (like a transparent HUD display) giving the skier clarity of whats behind at all times - a budget option could be a simple warning triangle similar to blind spot wing mirrors found on a lot of cars these days . . .

Yup, it's probably a relatively simple modification to Apple Vision Pro, I would even say it could even have a rear camera fitted and some smart guys work out a way to augment the vision with what's around you. Tech definitely can play an increased role in recreational skiing and there will def be a market for it imo.

P.S. yeah I guessed you were a beemer driver Laughing
latest report
I'm a bit ambivalent about pole clicking. It only really works to alert someone to your presence or vice versa so may have some relevance on a narrow path but if you're in front, it's not easy to tell whether the skier is behind left or right. It's not something I've ever really gone in for.
snow report
A rear view camera would be just the ideal thing to spook beginner (or nervous) skiers into paying far too much attention to what's happening behind them, rather than keeping a good look out down the slope and skiing accordingly.
snow conditions
@abc,
Quote:

The risk of spooking the nervous person is there. But if you’re going sufficiently fast, you’ve passed them before they could make any erratic movements.
Yeah, I guess this is right, but when I've already scrubbed off some speed because I've seen the person in front, it's too late!
ski holidays
Belch wrote:
@Pyramus, Nice photoshop skills! 8.92/10 (sorry I'm a perfectionist) Did you source the busy slope imagery or add additional peeps for effect?
It's entirely AI - you can sort of tell from really bad proportions and missing bits, but the give away is the double pole in the mirror. AI is still not quite intelligent enough but will soon be able to fool all of us.
snow conditions
motyl wrote:
... and missing bits...
Like fingers.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
motyl wrote:
... and missing bits...
Like fingers.
Laughing yes that cartoon effect is very common it seems
ski holidays
@pam w,
Quote:

What matters here is that people don't shove their way inconsiderately or dangerously past slower skiers. Neither clicks, nor their absence, guarantee considerate skiing.

Some people have expressed strong anti-click views and then been driven to ever more over-the-top ways of defending those views. This thread is classic. Meanwhile, I was probably listening to Bach's Christmas Oratorio and didn't hear.

Very true. Except that the last sentence is wrong on SO many levels. Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy