Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Newbies I’m afraid

Poster: A snowHead
@T Bar, Time of year (in or out of school hols) obvs does make a difference (although we were lucky with term times falling out of kilter on occasion) however interesting that you chose flying over driving. Was this to save cost or faff or both?

For a Sat to Sat trip I've found packages on the whole to be more expensive but only marginally (eg Crystal rather than Neilson) vs DIY so have never bothered. Have actually found solo package trips (eg Ski Miquel) to be more cost effective than DIY! Week long trips are also usually commensurate with 4x night short trips . . .
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Belch, Not sure how much a package holidays works out to as we DIY France in winter and summer. What I can say is that we pay about £1k per person (so £4k) for a week long ski trip in Feb Half Term - all costs added together (although I do offset about half of the tunnel costs with clubcard vouchers). I'd say we also pay the same at Easter break - accommodation costs are lower but lift prices higher in higher/bigger resorts.

If you are going during term time then I'd guess a package would be cheaper?

Having the car let's us take what we want (including skis), do a cheap out of resort (huge) supermarket shop and bring back loads of cheap wine and French treats. Plus no lengthy/costly airport transfers. Doing DIY let's me pick a suitable appartment (I rent from French owners) with no sofa bed sleeping, a nice size (not a rabbit hole) and usually ski in/out in a good location.

I think I once compared the price to a package on Sunweb and DIY was cheaper/I knew exactly what I was getting. But it wasn't a massive saving - decent enough though. Car takes longer, granted, but then has its own benefits.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Belch,
I live in Scotland so flying saves a lot of time and faff , we occasionally drove for two week holidays at Easter but most holidays were a week.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
When I was looking into joining friends for a package last year I was shocked at the cost for 1 - the package cost precisely the same as a couple. I do understand the reasons. But if you are not a neat and average sort of "package of people" packages can be very expensive. At Easter five of us drove in one vehicle and rented an apartment with good cooking facilities, three separate sleeping areas, with easy piste access, close by excellent supermarket and ski hire shop. That was booked very late as the whole thing was a bit of a last minute effort. A package - or flying and renting a car - would have cost a great deal more as it was a peak (Christmas) week.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For me driving (or overnight train) is a big plus because you can get up to 2 extra days skiing and given the travel and accommodation are fixed costs and we have our own gear - the only extra you are paying is lift pass.

Other than that - DIY, SC, flying v driving isn't just about cost - that is just one factor. Flying these days is often a real pain, especially if you have your own kit to lug about. Timing of booking, security, etc is faff/stress. It has it's problems but I find booking and using the tunnel less stressful.

In theory TO's save you hassle but you get what you pay for to some degree. And I've had experiences myself and read others on here which show it's not pain free.

Clearly if you live in the outer reaches of the UK you going to fly rather than drive, if you don't have good sized, winterized vehicle, or a solo traveller you are not going to drive. If you are new to skiing and have to get lessons, hire kit, TO's may be a great option. If you don't like cooking when on a trip then catered it is. There are so many different circs, preferences, priorities, it's crazy to be banging one drum.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
100% odd numbers def don't help - having 3x kids in close succession (2yr apart) was a silly idea for skiing and life in general! = bigger car / bigger house / odd hotel rooms / split seats on flights - we always seem to and have always accepted 'getting stung' compared to nuclear families which probably equates to my own 'f the cost its a holiday' attitude as its punishing anyway!

Now that my kids are more interested in parties and general free loading than skiing I've been doing more solo / midweek lads trips. If researched right flights and accom can be decent, as mentioned some package operators (Ski Miquel) are amazing value (£750 all in) if you book early etc. Would still always fly over driving - would still always chalet / hotel over sc . . . . . .only exception to this would mean divorcing the wife and marrying a younger Michelin star qualified ski bunny to cook for me . . .or something!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes, we live less than three hours (usually..except sometimes on Operation Stack days..) from Eurotunnel. I would hesitate to drive from Scotland! We live 14 minutes from the Portsmouth ferry port and used to cross with Tesco points back in the day when P&O did western Channel crossings. But that involved getting round Paris, which has its own complications of timing and route - though the périph at almost midnight was an experience. I thought, fool that I am, that it would be really quiet. rolling eyes

The extra ski days are good - though when we did coach travel years ago (picked up somewhere on the A1 as we lived a lot further north then) it was both a cheap option and good for two extra days skiing - then someone else driving through the night when the knackered passengers had a good few hours sleep.

At Christmas my daughter and family got 7 days for the price of 6 on their ski pass, so the 4 hours skiing before we left on Saturday afternoon was a real bonus. When you hear about package holiday makers being picked up at 4 am for their transfer to the airport you do wonder whether they'd read the small print.....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Loving all the opinions so thought i'd add some more!

Having to always ski on a budget but liking home comforts, smaller resorts with quiet slopes and no long lift lines you can't go far wrong with Montgenevre on the French / Italy border.

Fly into Turin, 1.15hrs transfer with Snow Cab (cheap for shared transfers) Apartments or chalets booked through Go-Montgenevre. All of their accommodation is like home, has sheets, towels included in the price and fully equipped kitchens! None of them are far from the slopes so not much walking with skis. You can also book ski hire and lift passes through them though we use Snowbrainer for skis as lots cheaper.

Ski school is fantastic with English speaking instructors (I'd have private family lessons, you'll pick it up much quicker and not much more expensive)

Lift passes are around £200, way cheaper than larger resorts and wide quiet green runs from the top of the mountain.

Another lesser known resort is Chamrousse 1.15hr from Grenoble. Ugly town but the skiing is very pretty and perfect for beginners. Accommodation is basic and not quite so nice but is ski in/ out onto green runs and if you book through Snowtrex it includes lift passes so perfect for budget conscious. Ski school is also very good.

Learnt to ski at ADH but would have much preferred Monty or Chamrousse as much quieter and nicer skiing for first timers. Everyone we have recommended to these resorts have loved them whether beginners or more experienced.

Whatever you choose I'm sure you will love it! Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Given the experience, over the years, of rail (Eurostar St Pancras - Moutier then onward bus to VT), fly/bus transfer (BA London City - Chambery then onward by bus to Plagne Villages), fly/drive (easyJet London to Lyon then hire car to either VT or La Plagne) and finally (having never tried the long distance coach option), driving (both single journey in peak French schools winter holiday Saturday traffic/returning similarly, and, outward early Friday splitting the journey with an overnight in Chambery, Aix-le-Bain or similar with a mirrored return Sunday)...

For me without doubt it's the latter that I find works best and gives me 7-8 days skiing - the first Saturday is sometimes sketchy but I can usually fit in a few hours at least. Clearly, living in the SE of England makes driving a more viable option - not sure I'd take the same view if I had a long trek to the short sea crossing options to Calais.

I'm certain that others will prefer flying plus some form of onward transfer, be it hire car, taxi or bus, some will love the train (assuming it still runs - haven't a clue!), etc.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@sparkle01, Welcome to snowHead , a very informative first post thank you.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So we’ve been to Milton Keynes Snozone today and had a 90 min lesson- loved it!
So we are looking to book, but still undecided!
Possibly Flaine Residence Alhena
Or Alpe Du’Huez L’Alpenrose Appartments

Puzzled
So many choices, so much advice!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Laughing Glad you liked your first lesson; you're hooked now. Personally I'd choose Flaine of those two, but somebody will come along immediately and plump for AdH. wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Laughing Glad you liked your first lesson; you're hooked now. Personally I'd choose Flaine of those two, but somebody will come along immediately and plump for AdH. wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@smatty, hey, which ski school/instructors did you use in Passo Tonale? We're going in March and our kids will need some lessons. Cheers!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As beginners you can't go too far wrong with Montgenevre as another option. Lovely ski area. Never really that busy. Reasonably high so snow is usually reliable. Really easy to get to from Turin.
latest report
@moosedelmar,
We went with
https://scuolasci-tonalepresena.it/?lang=en&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-euVk9e3hAMVfpNQBh3QbgCwEAAYAiAAEgKpQPD_BwE
Booked as part of a package.
I don't have much to compare with but we were in 3 different groups and the instructors in each seemed very good. Pitched things at a good level and pushed about the right amount. Mine did a nice sideline in local history. Have a great week.
snow report
@Dpetchey, Avoriaz: Mostly self-catering apartments (nearly all ski in/out). Easy transfer from Geneva. Beginner zone in town centre (easy walking to/from apts). https://www.maeva.com/fr-fr/location-avoriaz,19.html
latest report
We started in Bulgaria but have since taken Newbies to Soldeu in Andorra, Les Arcs in France and Corvara in Italy..all of which have been a great experience and all had pros and cons.
Packages to Bansko are still great value and the resort is a great layout for novice family groups, with most lessons starting and finishing at the same spot. March has been a great month for the resort too as Jan and Feb have become really busy.
It has a few gentler runs. Definitely worth checking out for a first trip with a variety of chalets / hotels / self catering.
Happy to answer any questions on the resorts mentioned.

https://ecoski.co.uk/ski-wear-rental Also rent ski kit to save the cost and the planet.
You’re going to love it. Have fun.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy