Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 15/16 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Oh please please let this be true!! I have everything crossed!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yep next year Xmas bookings will be down and Sod's law dictates they will get loads of Xmas snow! Winter 2010/2011 was very snowy and cold in the UK but how many of those have we had in the last 10...20... Even 50 years. I remain optimistic, the weather is unpredictable and just when you think you see a pattern... The complete opposite occurs!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
18z GFS brings snow into the Alps on 30 December, as it progresses into FI it brings heavy snow and stormy weather into the Alps at altitude, though rain lower down.

At this point the detail is very uncertain, but there is a continuing indication that there may be some form of pattern shift coming around the turn of the year.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jones82 wrote:
Yep next year Xmas bookings will be down

I don't think this will be completely true. People have seen that the higher resorts are offering good skiing and also resorts where large amounts have been invested in snow making. I think you will see bookings in those resorts going up for early and late skiing.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
00z GFS goes snowy and cold from 01 Jan with a switch allowing below average temperatures and above average snowfall for the first week of January. Will ECM pick this up too now that it is in range?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@nozawaonsen, you are making me so happy and excited! holding thumbs Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The problem with higher resorts during poor snow periods is that they get rammed and conditions in these higher resorts can be best described as challenging if you factor in the crowds. Last Saturday just in the first hour on slopes I saw three people being taken on sledges by pisteurs. Now, that holiday-makers arrived accidents will only increase. I doubt there will be a noticeable increase in bookings for higher resorts, there is no need to create demand and push prices up, since even if you book a lower resort you will be bussed to whichever nearest to you resort has snow. Yes, this transfer may take time but who seriously wants to ski bell to bell in these conditions? After three hours it's time for a celebration drink if you haven't been skied into.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hmm. ECM not following the same path. Caution required.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am not booking in January again in advance, cannot handle the stress.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@nozawaonsen, I think a bit of wee just came out Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@nozawaonsen, you seem to give with one hand (5:20am) and swiftly take away with the other (8:17am)... with Grand Massif trip starting on 2nd Jan, it's currently more nerve-wracking than supporting Newcastle United!

(jk of course - invaluable getting updates and expert views from you - keep up good work! ) snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Here in Saalbach 59 out of 70 lifts are running, and there is enough skiing for the number of people on the pistes. The general sentiment has been one of relief, after all the media reports about lack of snow. Our current guests have been planning excursions over to Leogang and Hinterglemm, and a guy I was talking to yesterday had just done the circuit of the entire valley, including Leogang. Another told me he'd been averaging 50km a day since he arrived about 10 days ago. I managed to get up the Kohlmais mountain yesterday and did some enjoyable skiing in the late afternoon, before waiting for the piste bashers to come up at 5.30pm and then skiing down, all the way to the bottom, with fresh tracks on the freshly groomed 'carpet'. So it's much, much better than this time last year, but not as good as the previous 8 pre-Christmas weeks (which I can vouch for as this is our 10th consecutive Christmas here).
I agree that, if it doesn't snow, the picture could well deteriorate markedly when the New Year crowds arrive - so much so that I will seriously consider whether it's worth skiing,
As for next year, I wouldn't envisage any impact on bookings for Christmas and New Year - as I said people seem to be having a good time currently, and NY week is always pretty well rammed to capacity. However I would expect pre-Christmas bookings to suffer, unless there are some supreme optimists out there, or of course we get good early snow say in late November or early December.
It's been interesting to see the wonders that can be achieved with snow-making.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thoughts? - http://wepowder.com/forum/topic/218629
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I read that and it seems to be based on historical stats rather than any concrete sign of a change. The most important word in the sentence "Such situations usually no longer hold than 45-60 days" is the word "usually". However I hope he is right!!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As someone said last week this season seems a lot like 2006/07. IIRC from about the third week of January the snow came and kept falling well into spring. But as he says "such situations usually no longer hold (more) than 45-60 days" and if thats a thread to cling to and I'll be happy to do it!
ski holidays
Interesting post @Dr John. Ah I guess its all about probability. I guess its not too dissimilar to a summer heat wave in the UK (but longer Wink ), eventually the patterns shift and go back to normality but its just a question of when. The good news is some of the weather forecasts seem to be also suggesting a change and possible snow at the very end of the month/beginning of January. Lets hope these long range forecasts are correct this time as it seems a lot of us are skiing in January!
ski holidays
The latest AO discussion from the Cohen team suggests an increased chance of SSW (sudden stratospheric warming) in early-mid January. This should put the brakes on the strong westerly circulation we have seen around the Northern Hemisphere mid-latitudes over the last few weeks that has caused the mild conditions over Europe and NE North America. Unfortunately they seem to think Europe will probably be the last mid-latitude region to see a transition to cooler conditions.
http://www.aer.com/science-research/climate-weather/arctic-oscillation
snow conditions
@stef88, that's not probability...
snow conditions
@FreeBeer, yes interesting read. Though SSWs and their impacts can be tricky to call with confidence.

Some similar points made in the latest Met Office Contingency planners update.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/pdf/4/f/A3_plots-temp-JFM_v1.pdf

"El Niño moderately increases the probability of the positive phase of the North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO) in early winter. At this time of year, the positive phase of the NAO is associated with milder- and wetter-than-average conditions, whilst the negative phase is associated with colder- and drier-than-average conditions. In late winter El Niño increases the probability of sudden stratospheric warming events occurring. These events disrupt the stratospheric polar vortex and, more often than not, bring cold weather to the UK...

...At the start of the 3-month period, milder-than-average conditions are more likely than colder-than-average. However later in the period, particularly from February onwards several seasonal forecasting systems, including the Met Office system, are in good agreement in suggesting a shift towards more blocked weather patterns; these patterns increase the chance of cold northerly or easterly winds affecting the UK."

And the potential for a more blocked set up from February has bee cropping up in CFS charts for a while.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/CFSv2/htmls/glbz200e3Mon.html

Slightly nearer term 06z GFS also breaks the pattern early in the New Year with snow arriving in the Alps 02/03 on this variant.
snow report
@nozawaonsen, keep up the excellent work. We all appreciate it snowHead
latest report
@Dr John,

Stay stoked
snow report
@nozawaonsen, I'm checking every 6 hrs now!- great to see your updates.
snow report
Jackson Hole, Wyoming, looks set to get another 50-100cm freshies this week...

ski holidays

http://www.rts.ch/archives/tv/information/continents-sans-visa/3440897-un-hiver-sans-neige.html
latest report
alj wrote:
@nozawaonsen, I'm checking every 6 hrs now!- great to see your updates.

everyone knows that this thread becomes worse than a crack habit about this time every year...
ski holidays
@ansta1, well I am a bloke, gotta live upto the reputation ..... Happy
snow report
I seriously suffer from OSD (Obsessive Snow Disorder).

I have several Italian websites open all day.3 different resort webcams in the area.
Now I have discovered this place.

I need help.
latest report
PaulC1984 wrote:
Ghanny wrote:
There are certainly some glass half empty people on here. I'm in Samoens and skied today surrounded by grass in the rain and had a great time. Yes it would be better if there was loads of snow but what can you do? It's the weather.

Sounds like scotland sking Happy

Yup, just thinking it sounds like fabulous conditions if it was Scotland at this time of year. You guys don't know you're born!

(It isnae proper skiing if your ski bases don't turn green before the end of the day...) NehNeh
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
WTF????????

That must be an error. Mustn't it?
snow report
@Gaza, yes.
snow conditions
@nozawaonsen, thought as much. If that did happen and it fell as snow; it would probably shut the resort for a week. Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Wetter has had problems for a while now displaying GFS FI (though that is a more extreme example).
snow conditions

Bring it on!!
latest report
@blahblahblah, see above. Toofy Grin
snow report
@Gaza, I know but it would be nice if it was real.
ski holidays
blahblahblah wrote:
@Gaza, I know but it would be nice if it was real.

As if by magic... 15 feet of snow falls... Poor old @Gaza would have to eat his hat!!
snow conditions
@letsgetpiste, if it did happen I'd happily eat my hat.
snow report
Forecast to ruin my christmas!
http://www.weathertoski.co.uk/weather-snow/archive/snow-forecast-22-12-2015/
snow conditions
so much for snow canons

ski holidays
@davidof, Where is this?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy