Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 15/16 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Hyst wrote:
Finally the snow has come to Nozawa and the other resorts around! Madeye-Smiley

I'm going to be there on the 4th, it looks to be getting a lot warmer for a few days before Christmas with rain Confused
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In Tignes, top of Toviers, at 1 pm. Slushy conditions. Going to find a terrace and say I had a good morning.

It feels like last week of the season, especially in terms of conditions of the pistes.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Very late springlike!!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Skiing in the warmth.
Slush in the afternoons.
Snow line visibly rising up the valleys.
The lakes down to the bottom.
Above freezing overnight.
The sound of melt water in the main village stream.

Perfect day in Val Thorens in late April.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@AthersT, I'm not sure its very uncertain. More like a few outlying runs going for precipitation raising possibility rather than probability of same. Maybe noza can further enlighten
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes, emwmarine and others: quite right.
We had lunch today at Dou du Praz (La Plagne, 2100m) with Mr and Mrs skichampcouk: blazing blue sky, only needed a shirt and sunglasses (and maybe trousers rolling eyes ).
The last time we were there was April, and it was warmer today . . .

Local forecast for tomorrow suggests 5-10cm snow above 2000m and rain below.
Maybe time to get the Deadwood box set out . . .
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Very warm at my apartment at 1550m, south facing, surrounded by grass. But the floor of the Doron valley is all white after these weeks of big temperature inversion plus few hours of sunlight down there.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
emwmarine wrote:
Perfect day in Val Thorens in late April.
I've skied VT in the last week of April lots of times (at the EoSB) and conditions in Les Arcs today were not really like that at all. The snow had definitely softened but certainly couldn't be called slushy, not even getting down towards 1800m on the final ski home. I thought piste conditions today were generally much better than last week, although with the forecast for continued unseasonable temperatures and increasing numbers of skiers during the holidays I'm not sure how long it will last like this.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
12z GFS smashes the high pressure over Europe as first one then another low pressure system crashes through at the turn of the year as high pressure retreats north allowing heavy snow to fall across the Alps and Pyrenees (although you'd want to watch the temperatures).

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=240&mode=0#

http://youtube.com/v/VbxgYlcNxE8

Will it happen like that? It's too far off obviously and the low pressure system GFS models seems a bit OTT, it alpmost certianly won't happen quite like that, but will be interesting to see if this is picked up in this evening's control or ECM.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@nozawaonsen, what's the opposite of shooting the messenger? Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You know the day destroys the night
Night divides the day
Tried to run
Tried to hide
Break on through to the other side
Break on through to the other side, yeah
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@nozawaonsen, only a few days too late! I'm going on boxing day Sad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You can forget about any snow for the week beginning on the 3rd. I've the worst Juju going!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm out on the 10th, so fingers crossed! Looks like things shouyld have improved by then.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Put the TV on this morning to see the local tv showing webcam at the top of the mountain as 7C at 8am this morning. By 3pm as I was stood in the same place as the webcam the sign said 15C. Amazing for 1800m at the end of December. However, conditions are actually great. It doesn't seem to be sugary or mounding up anywhere - unlike Easter. Judging by the garmin I think today may be my fastest first day skiing of a holiday ever, I'd like to think it was the investment in new skis, but I can't be too sure.

(Wagrain, Ski Amade where it is a lot colder in town than on the mountain).
latest report
martinm wrote:
I'm out on the 10th, so fingers crossed! Looks like things shouyld have improved by then.

Might have, not should.
ski holidays
Thought I'd share this nice weather prospects blog

http://www.icyblasts.com/superb-snow.aspx
snow conditions
langball wrote:
You know the day destroys the night
Night divides the day
Tried to run
Tried to hide
Break on through to the other side, yeah

Seasons over
For the unknown skier
snow conditions
nozawaonsen wrote:
martinm wrote:

Might have, not should.

I'll settle for should have not will have !
snow report
"Shoulda Woulda Coulda

Are the last words of a fool"
latest report
@davidof, come on we need positivity on here, and that song ironically is from the album "waiting for the sun" ! If we get much more of that I'm gonna end up in the next whiskey bar wink
snow conditions
18z GFS op lands a sucker punch on the Alps on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day.

With the full force of the Atlantic behind it it would be very stormy and mild as the snow arrived cooler as it pushes through.

Then bam. With a one two lands another blow on the third.

http://youtube.com/v/Hj0jzepk0WA

As ever way too far out at this stage. But will be worth taking a seat to watch how it plays out tomorrow...
snow conditions
00z GFS again introduces a dramatic shift at the turn of the year with stormy weather hitting the Alps from 31/01 Jan, bringing heavy snow to the Alps though temperatures could be raised at times. Scottish mountains and the Pyrenees would also see stormy weather (the latter towards the end of the run). Worth keeping an eye on.
snow report
I prefer optimistic weather forecasts, so I've been liking this one as for the last few days it has consistently been showing snow for the start of the New Year for where I'm going in Jan.

http://www.metcheck.com/SEASONAL/ski_forecast_14days.asp?resortID=48&Country=italy&Resort=champoluc
snow conditions
@nozawaonsen, looks like the 00z is an outlier on the temp too - if it were to stay high that it would not be good for anywhere!

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 21-12-15 8:56; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Ray Zorro, that's just a different way of showing the GFS operational run.

@AthersT, not sure what you mean? Doesn't look that much of an outlier to me in terms of temperature (in FI) and at times would be good.

Tignes

Arlberg

The key would be the shift in pattern if it comes off.
ski holidays
@nozawaonsen, I was being a bit vague, I was talking about where I'm going sorry -
26th to 29th

Those tignes temps look a bit of an outlier too in the short term.

latest report
Where can I get these graphs for the SkiWelt region? A link would be greatly appreciated Happy... Thanks
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Don87, there you go.

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&lat=47.5&lon=12.2
snow report
@nozawaonsen, Many thanks!
snow conditions
Just looked at the 00z for the Dolomites, the precip for 5th Jan goes right up off the scale!! They want some snow, but not another Snowmageddon!! Shocked

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&lat=46&lon=12

At least there are more & more indications of a breakdown of this current blocking High. snowHead
ski holidays
luigi wrote:
but not another Snowmageddon!! Shocked

eerr yes we do, and early jan would be lovely - just in time for the 22nd when most of us get out there Happy
latest report
am off to Saalbach on 2 January all the way from South Africa, holding thumbs that this forecasted breakdown of the high pressure system comes just in time!

Thanks all for the constant updates
snow report
@rrd3718, will also be in Saalbach for a week from 2 January (also from South Africa). Been watching this thread with great interest, its a long way from South Africa to Saalbach for there to be no snow!!

Please let the updates continue to show snow in the not-too-distant future!
snow conditions
i refresh this thread every 5 mins hoping for a change! haha.

Never been to Saalbach (previously been to St Anton, Ischgl, Serfaus, Neustift etc) so am so keen to give it a go as I've only heard good things. I've organised the trip with mates this year so I feel almost personally responsible for good conditions.

Good luck!
ski holidays
06z holds the pattern shift until 02 Jan, but the brings cold and snow for early January.

Mixed outcome in that it keeps a shift in place, but would increase confidence to see it drawing closer.
snow report
@nozawaonsen, like a dagger through the heart!! Sad

http://youtube.com/v/ohzhHKf2VIw
latest report
@AthersT, not that bad!! Only delays snow by 24 hours or so.
snow conditions
Isn't it common for a forecast breakdown in a prevalent system to get gradually pushed further and further back? I'm sure I remember this happening last year (and previously).

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 21-12-15 12:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@nozawaonsen, not good when you go home on the 2nd!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy