Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz / Morzine / Les Gets / Chatel - 2007/8

Poster: A snowHead
snowscreen, I know, at one point a few days ago it said 21cm Crying or Very sad I think there will be something while you are there though, and before we come out on 7th. Forecast is still far ahead enough not to be reliable so everything crossed Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
On second thoughts, best not to look at snowforcast or metcheck just now Sad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stop. Looking. At. Snowforecast. Or. Metcheck.

Get yourself to the weather forecast thread in this same section of the forum to find out why and stop all the heartache... sheesh...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
carled, That's me told then Embarassed
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi all you snowHead 's ..... we have just got back from a week in Les Gets and can safely say that this week was far better than last year's, even though there was no new snow.

The days have been very warm, we have got fab tans from sitting and chilling at the lil bar on the Mt Chery. The runs are being very well looked after, they are icy in places but well marked.

Being snowboarders and all we found that going up the Mt Chery was a way of getting away from the crowds, as you all know we do like to sit down a lot. The snow up there is amazing, not icy at all, in fact it's holding it's own very well....

We took a trip up to Avoriaz to have a go at snowmobiling, lol what a laugh - there was a guy up there taking pic of us, which was great, his shop was in Morzine-so the next day we took ourselves off snowboarding down to Morzine. That was fun, half way down an ice ridden path the snow ran out and we sledged the rest of the way down the Pleney on our boards!

All in all we had a wicked time, the snow is far from melting so anyone going out will have a gr8 time. Have a wicked time, I'm off now to relax-knackered! lol wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Another fab day on the slopes. Stuck to Avoriaz and was pleasantly surprised at the lack of people compared to yesterday. Pistes all in excellent condition especially the Stade on the Arare.

Lovely lunch in the sun at the Abricotine!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Leedslips, Thanks!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Can any of you help me find a hotel in the vicinity of PDS (French side) for one night only on 7th March. We are a family of 5 and desperate to find something as we've been let down at the last minute.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
marmalade, Try http://www.leboomerang.com/ they do duplex rooms which may suit. If you email they will get back you promptly which can be a problem with some of the others.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
marmalade, This hotel used to do rooms by the day when we were lat in Morzine. For some reasonb I can't find their web site but its a fairly solid 3 star hotel very close to the centre of Morzine

HOTEL RESTAURANT LES DENTS BLANCHESMorzine
LA MURAILLE 74110 MORZINE

Tél 0450790842 Fax 0450790018

Hope this helps

Chris
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Spent Saturday through Monday skiing around the area. Very mixed conditions - some superb, some mixed, some less than enjoyable. Although my numpty-like skiing on Sunday afternoon didn't help the enjoyment.

The headline news is that there's tons of snow and it's holding up well. There are signs of wear on high traffic areas - but nothing that isn't being repaired overnight. Conditions are very sping-like - rock hard in the mornings, giving way to slushy bumps. The biggest problem on piste is that you really have to pay attention if you're skiing fast as the pisteurs are better at keeping pistes open than keeping them smooth.

Off-piste is much more of a lottery. Bulletproof in the mornings turning to leg breaking concrete if you leave it too late. But much fun to be had if you know where to look and get there in time. But you do need to treat it with much respect and caution. Creux on Chamossiere was closed on Monday because a ruddy great slab of snow has broken away from the southerly facing (and very popular) off-piste slope about two thirds of the way up and was dropping large chunks of snow onto the piste below. And the off-piste skier's left of Chaux Fleurie has slid in places.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PhillipStanton, is it as grim as it looks on the webcams this morning? Coming out on Saturday for a week (stopping in Montriond) and it looks quite bare in town, I know the weathers forecast to change, just looking for a little reassurance..... Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
3 days left at work and then Les Gets here we come, well La Turche anyway wink

Sounding like Mont Chery will be visited at least once, and we were planning on going on snowmobiles so I’ll give the tourist office a call at some point to see how we can arrange that. Should be great fun!

Shame no big dump before we head out but I’m sure we’ll be fine, at least the base has held up well

and yep, the towns webcams look really poor to how things did look a while back Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stevew, It is pretty bare in town and the bottom of Pleney is pretty shabby now. It has been peeing down with rain all night below 1800m ish so this hasn't helped either. I think more rain is forecast on and off for the next few days too Sad . However the skiing from Ardent upwards is fine; as PhillipStanton, said, generally rock hard in the morning and slushy later on. There is plenty of snow high up. I'm sure you'll have a good time.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
zzz, Thanks for the info - is it snowing above 1800m though?
ski holidays
stevew, er....................no. but it has stopped raining completely now.
snow report
things are looking hopeful

saturday appears to be a bit wet, maybe some sleat but maybe rain

sunday a clear first day snowboarding for us, bit of sun
then things get interesting tuesday afternoon/evening, weds and thurs aswell

shaping up to be a great 2nd part of the week, just hope it comes in time and doesnt miss Les Gets or fall back another couple of days
ski holidays
snowscreen, Lets hope the second half of the week works out - I'm in Morzine on Wednesday. Fingers crossed Very Happy

snowHead
latest report
Whose around to bump into next week? Stopping in Montriond from Sat to Sat, going with a mate whose not skied in 10+ years so don't know how far will be getting but I'm sure I'll drag him most places. Hoping that it starts snowing soon.... Getting excited anyway.

Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
I've got a week to go (going out 8th March) and I just hope the it's good when I get there. I'm really looking forwards to the trip now.
ski holidays
tomstickland, I think you've timed it nicely Happy

I fly out later today, snow is still expected to hit tuesday and wednesday with temps staying low for the 2nd part of the week so things should be much better than they have been when you go out. i'm expecting a couple of ropey first days but sure it'll all be fine, no net access out there so no updates while i'm out there
latest report
I hope so! I'll take loads of phots/videos when I'm there and update when I get home.
snow report
I hope so! I'll take loads of phots/videos when I'm there and update when I get home.
snow report
Seems there are a few runs closed in Les gets of Mt. Cheny. D'ya reckon the snow next week will keep it good until later in the month? Still debating whether I should be going there if the snow isn't going to last. Looks a lovely place.
latest report
Specialman, It is a lovely place! The lower runs of Mont Chery are always the first to close as south facing, just means that you have to take the bubble down. Many places are struggling at the moment as hasn't snowed for so long and has been busiest period. Worst case scenario is catching the bus/driving to Avoriaz.
latest report
Came back from St Jean a couple of days ago after best part of a week out there. First time I have managed to get off the beginners slopes on my board and actually get out amongst it all - in summary had a fantastic time!! Local resort at St Jean was great, really good coverage and very warm and sunny. Second day onwards we went up to Avoriaz from Ardent and spent the dasys up there. It was really icy in the mornings and really slushy in the afternoon but for someone with my limited skills there was more than enough to get on with - infact, everything was fully open so I can't understand why some people are still moaning about conditions. I suppose the better you are on a board or skis the more you want to explore and the more you want a bucket load of fresh powder every day?! The weather was really warm up top and great, in t-shirts for the 3 days in Avoriaz. Favourite sections for me on the trusty blues were Bleue d'Arare, Stad d'Arare, and the lon Abricotine run down from Mosettes (although I did have to walk once or twice after falling off trying to get enough speed to get up the next hill rolling eyes )

All in all, an excellent time was had. More snow would be nice for anyone going out now but I can honestly say I had the best time ever snowHead
snow report
MrDan, Glad you enjoyed it.It's a fantastic area and staying in St Jean gives you so many options as to where to start from each day. Have to say going up to Ardent is so easy and gives you easy access to a massive area.
snow report
SP1R1T, yes! Ardent was a doddle - yes it was a little bit busy but we parked right next to the lifts and then at the top there was plenty around for me for my skill levels. Sounds silly but I was SO chuffed to get all the way back down to the bottom on my first run! Very good fun. I did know it would be busy in half term and usually we don't bother because our apartment is busy but we had a short gap so why not use it Very Happy ! Spoke to quite a few people who go from Ardent instead of Super Morzine because it is a lot easier. Was nice to finish last day in St Jean though - far fewer people!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks like they've closed the blacks up on the Les Gets bowl - Yeti and Myrtilles were perfectly skiable 4 days ago, so the rain must really have taken effect - avalanche risk i assume?

The Chamossiere section is now also closed, which was one of my favourite haunts last week.

How's it skiing now - in particular the likes of Tulipe off the top of Ranfolly, which was a BRILLIANT blast all of last week...?
latest report
FastEddie, you sure? website suggests otherwise...
snow report
FastEddie - the Chamossiere black was shut last Monday because of avalanche risk. Given what slipped, they are probably more worried about the whole of that slope, rather than the bit that actually slipped (if that makes sense).
snow report
Lou, think myself and the missus have talked ourselves round after seeing the odd negative comment about lack of resort height etc. She's also cool about us exploring the rest of the PDS, even if we just get a couple of one-day tickets. Can you ski back into Les Gets on the other runs not on Mt. Chery? Looks like there will be a fair bit of snow this wek and if so, will be keeping fingers crossed for a few more dumps before the 22nd.
snow report
Specialman - the main ski area is on one side of the village and Mont Chery is on the other side. Most people ski quite happily in Les Gets without ever knowing that Mont Chery exists. (Which is why all the locals go there!).
ski holidays
Specialman, you will be fine! Sssh about Mont Chery though wink
I'm out this weekend so will give you an update.
latest report
David Murdoch wrote:
FastEddie, you sure? website suggests otherwise...

Looks like from what Sagets tells us:

http://www.sagets.fr/v2/info_pistes.pl

Specialman, don't listen to a word about the resort height of Les Gets. The microclimate of the PDS means that snow cover is nearly ALWAYS comparable to higher resorts in the Tarentaise et al, and the grassy slopes of Les Gets need much less snow cover than the rocks of other resorts.
snow report
Quote:

Specialman, don't listen to a word about the resort height of Les Gets. The microclimate of the PDS means that snow cover is nearly ALWAYS comparable to higher resorts in the Tarentaise et al, and the grassy slopes of Les Gets need much less snow cover than the rocks of other resorts.

So true, so true...even after scorching temperatures, rain etc etc, Chatel has more snow at 2200 m (130 cm) than Val d'Isere has at 3000 m (117 cm) plus the temperature is dropping and the cloud is thickening....
latest report
Can I please order some fresh pow for next week
ski holidays
PhillipStanton, FastEddie, cheers for the info. have ehar that Mt. youknowwhere is a bit of a well kept secret.

Lou, looking forward to the update.
snow conditions
PhillipStanton wrote:
Specialman - the main ski area is on one side of the village and Mont Chery is on the other side. Most people ski quite happily in Les Gets without ever knowing that Mont Chery exists. (Which is why all the locals go there!).

I think it's more to do with can't be bothered walking across the road, well it is on my part anyway wink

I'll definitely need to go there when I'm there later this week.

snowHead
snow report
Sage, The snowpark on Mt Chery is def worth a try, really good fun for most abilities.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy